• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
This just makes too much sense.

The DS has had Final Fantasy III and IV fully remade. IV even had a 2D remake on PSP with a sequel. With Octopath Traveller having a good buzz I think another team should make use of that art style and design and make a Final Fantasy V remake. These games will have a way cheaper budget than FFXV and VII Remake so it's a low risk effort for Square for some easy money. Obviously Final Fantasy VI is the one everyone wants but I think they can get away with milking the artstyle/design and start with V.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get an VIII remake that just touches up the prerendered stuff, updated gameplay character models and voice acting for significant scenes?
Doesn't even need anything else.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Yes guys, we get it, the engine is UE4. It's clear OP meant in the same graphical style.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying OT but I don't want a FFVI remake made like this. What's the point?? It's too close to the original that you may as well just stick to the original.

I'll even take a chibi 3D remake like FFIV, but not another 16-bit type remake. Just seems redundant.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Im not into the aggressive depth of field stuff in Octopath. I'd prefer they just go for something 3D tbh. Something that looks different to the original

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
This just makes too much sense.

The DS has had Final Fantasy III and IV fully remade. IV even had a 2D remake on PSP with a sequel. With Octopath Traveller having a good buzz I think another team should make use of that art style and design and make a Final Fantasy V remake. These games will have a way cheaper budget than FFXV and VII Remake so it's a low risk effort for Square for some easy money. Obviously Final Fantasy VI is the one everyone wants but I think they can get away with milking the artstyle/design and start with V.

Nomura wants to remake FFV and FFVI too. SE in general has mentioned internal interest for a FFVI remake in particular several times in the last two years or so:

Nomura:
I asked him if he had any interest in working on remakes for the series' other installments on the original PlayStation, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX.

But Nomura was thinking a bit further back than I was.

"Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I've been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we've noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me," Nomura said. "How come we skipped over those two?"

Source.

Tabata:
Tabata:
First of all, I just want to point out that my favourite of all the Final Fantasy games so far has been VI.

GameCentral:
Well, that's encouraging in itself!

Tabata:
[...]

That's quite a broad statement, so it's quite easy to misunderstand me. But really, what it all comes down to is the story, the experience, and how great a story that is. And the way I see it the technology is important, it's very important, but it's important because you use that to tell the story. The combat system, the art, the whole game development, the technology itself – that's all about telling the story. And all of the aspects of the game.

But I very much get you, and I agree at the moment that VI is the best. [laughs]

[...]

Tabata: We get a lot of people asking for a remake of VI…

GameCentral: Well, are you going to do a remake of VI, then? I'll ask that!

Tabata: Not in my department!

All: [laughs]

Source.

Kitase:
In an interview with Famitsu - translated by Gematsu - Kitase is jokingly asked to remake Final Fantasy VI, to which he responds: "Right now, we're working on Final Fantasy VII… The staff within the company are also saying it [that they want a remake of Final Fantasy VI], but it continues to be put off." Interesting.

Source.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Half the reason most FF games before 7 have no definitive version is because of how trigger happy Square are with remakes

I'd rather just get the NES/SNES versions with their best translations, sprite work and music all in one place than even more remakes to muddy the waters

Veemo

Jun 29, 2018
Just make new games. Leave Final Fantasy in the past. Setsuna, Bravely and Octopath have all been fantastic outings.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
To me those games will never get better than their SNES releases. Not really any benefit to doing a remake IMO. The art style was in a lot of ways the pinnacle of 2d art for RPGs. Compare that to FF7 which was obviously extremely early 3d stuff (even the prerendered backgrounds looks bad compared to 8 and 9), where you can see the benefit in a remake. The OT artstyle is neat because its novel and different, but it doesn't really look better than the SNES FFs to me. And honestly I don't really trust SE to be touching those games.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why make a 2D-remake when you already have timeless classics? None of the remakes of older Final Fantasy games captured the original charm.
Make it a full 3D-remake or let it be.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Square-Enix skipping on remaking 5 and 6 in the 3DS era was the biggest sin of the human race.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Refine the Octopath look and go for it, i'd be down.

Nomura wants to remake FFV and FFVI too. SE in general has mentioned internal interest for a FFVI remake in particular several times in the last two years or so:

Yeah no, if they absolutely have to remake FF VI, then keep freaking Nomura as FAR as possible away from the project. For me, FF has gone so hard downhill ever since he became the kinda head figure of the series, so i'd like my one absolute favorite FF game to not be dragged down along with.

Status
Not open for further replies.