• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Making it more general will just defeat the purpose of genre names: knowing what a game is supposed to be like

You know exactly what to expect with "character action" so just accept it ffs

"Stylish action" means the same thing, but "action" "hack 'n' slash" and "beat 'em up" are not specific enough

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You seem to be in a bad mood today, Kalma.

OT: No we don't. Character Action is better than "hack n slash."

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
When I talk about them in real life, we call them hack'n'slash. I think most people do who've been playing them since PS2.

Character Action is dumb. That could be Uncharted.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Character action games really differentiate them from the inanimate object action games.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
just do what platinum does and call each franchise its own X Action title. Climax Action, Synergystic Action, Samurai Action, Action Shooter, Unite Action...

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Hack and Slash is that just as many people use it to refer to Diablo-style games as they do Devil May Cry-style games.

screenshot2019-02-22165k8p.png

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Perspective + main action/verb. That's the boring way it's usually done.
Third person combat. A tee-pee-cee.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
All video game genres should end with "-'em Ups"

Shoot 'em Ups
Beat 'em Ups
Loot 'em Ups
Drive 'em Ups
Roleplay 'em Ups
Collectible Card Game 'em Ups
MMO 'em Ups

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I like hack and slash. Even beat em up will probably do. Character action is a silly term. If you asked a bunch of gamers what a character action game is I'm sure a lot wouldn't have a clue.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen someone describe a game as character action game, and I have no clue what it's supposed to be, either. Is it some kind of crossover game like Jump Force or Smash Bros.?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Does new God of War count as Character Action, Hack n Slash, or Souls like?

It's an action RPG now thanks to RPG stats and loot drops.

I've never seen someone describe a game as character action game, and I have no clue what it's supposed to be, either. Is it some kind of crossover game like Jump Force or Smash Bros.?

Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, God of War, Metal Gear Rising.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people got real salty about the whole "Metroidvania" term and tried to push "Pathfinding game" as the new term for that genre? Wasn't that fun for the week it lasted?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's not entirely impossible to change a genre's name.

People stopped calling them Soulslike, and started calling them with the even dumber name Soulsborne.

That's why I'm pushing for Soulsbornekiro, keep the train rolling.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Trying to change the name of a genre is skating uphill against a gale. I'd much sooner change JRPG so we can avoid the bi-weekly "is Dark Souls a JRPG" "is Cosmic Star Heroine a JRPG" debates.

It's not entirely impossible to change a genre's name.

People stopped calling them Soulslike, and started calling them with the even dumber name Soulsborne.

Except Soulsborne is the series, and Soulslike is the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
"Action game" is even worse, lol. So FPS games are not action games or what? Action game is a general category not a good definition of a subgenre. Commando and Bloodsport are action movies, the former is an action movie in a broader sense, while the latter can be put in the martial arts sub-category.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I guess it will depend on how much Sekiro feels like part of the series. Personally I think it feels different enough that it might not catch on.

In any case, the point is that changing the name of a series is considerably easier than changing the name of a genre.

What are other stylish action games besides DMC and Bayo anyway?

Basically 80% of Platinum's output: MG Rising, TW101, Transformers Devastation, the ill-fated TMNT and Korra games, etc.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I imagine most developers want their action games to be stylish. "Stylish Action" is a pretty bad name IMHO.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
hack and slash is the worst name since you can describe about 4 distinct styles of games with it. Character action isn't a descriptive name by any means but it works in letting you know what type of game you are referring to. I'm also partial to stylish action too

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
People generally know what type of game you're talking about when using the term "Character Action".
Is it the perfect terminology, could sth better substitute it, does it sound dumb?
I guess so to some but that doesn't make it less useful.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like i see this exact thread with the exact argument in the OP every 2-3 weeks. im starting to feel like yall are doing this as subtle parody at this point

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've always called DMC, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, etc, "technical action games", where it's not just about having games with melee action emphasis, but having incredibly competent, highly technical mechanics with which players can treat as a tool kit in a proverbial sandbox of fun.

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
Hack and slash always implied a certain "mindlessness" about the gameplay, so I don't like using it for dmc or bayonetta type games

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Action?

I mean, the Action Genre isn't really that far-spread as shooters and it isn't like we need to elaborate what kind of action it is.

You got Action Games, Action-Adventure and Hack and Slash. No reason to try and make it any more complicated than that.