• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes no damn sense and does jack to describe what the genre is. "Character Action?" Every action game has you play as a character. "Stylish Action" games would better describe what those games are about.

What you would rename the genre to?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'd say Stylish Action but that belongs to the Devil May Cry games now.

445PksB.png

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Everyone knows what it means. This feels like the late 90s when people were whining over "Technically you PLAY a ROLE in every GAME!"

SigmaCloud

May 8, 2018
"Character action" has always been a garbage sounding genre name. I really wanna know who coined it, because I only ever saw it gain traction in the last couple of years. I'd rather call them stylish action or just go back to hack n slash.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Same with the endless handwringing over 'Metroidvania', the genre name doesn't have to be a 100% perfect description of the content of the games. People know what you mean when you say 'character action game', therefore it's the name for the genre and doesn't have to be changed.

You play a role in every game. All games have action and adventure. All games involve strategy. A shitload of games could be described as 'multiplayer online battle arenas'. Etc etc.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
We should start calling them "looter shooters."

Why? Everyone knows what you're talking about when you use it
This is how I feel. I think it's already established to what people are referring when they say "character action" so it's understood what they mean. Changing the name would, I think, probably confuse people for a while at least, which kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
User Warned: Derogatory Language
Same with the endless handwringing over 'Metroidvania', the genre name doesn't have to be a 100% perfect description of the content of the games. People know what you mean when you say 'character action game', therefore it's the name for the genre and doesn't have to be changed.
IT'S NOT LIKE ROGUE IF IT'S NOT ASCII

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Metroidlike or Platform Adventure. No hand wringing necessary. The genre is very easy to label, unlike Devil May Cry alikes.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I hate hack and slash because people call anything with a sword that even diablo so its so broad it lost any meaning. With character action people know what you are talking about so its fine, its not like role playing game makes sense for what they are known for. Stylish action is cool too.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's appropriate since it refers to games that center around a defined character performing stylish, high-octane action moves.

Other action games don't typically center around a character with as much focus and personality as Dante or Bayonetta.

Oct 25, 2017
I just call them stylish action games.

But I'm weird in other ways, like for example I want to include Vanquish and WET in this genre.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
its a dumb name but everyone knows what you are referring to when you say it. Something like hack and slash would be worse since you can refer to like 3 different genres with that term.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows what it means. This feels like the late 90s when people were whining over "Technically you PLAY a ROLE in every GAME!"
Yup. "RPG" is a specific technical term that is different from the generic meaning of the individual words. Same with "Character-action game".

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I've never been a fan of the character action title so I just go with hack n slash since it sounds better to me.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's a dumb name but everyone knows what you mean so might as well keep it.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I never see anyone use "character action" to describe a game other than something like ESRB or marketing/press material. Is this a thing people actually say? More often I'll see hack-n-slash or beat-em-up, brawler, Action-RPG and the like. Character Action? tf is that?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've always called it hard action and I'm sticking to it. It's hard action, like hard sci-fi.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
IT'S NOT LIKE ROGUE IF IT'S NOT ASCII

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

yeah Roguelike means so much more then just a grid based, dungeon crawling game. Makes it difficult to find games actually like Rogue though.

Genres (and words in general) are there to convey the idea to other people. If you say character action on this forum I think a majority of people will know what type of game you're talking about.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
From the literal perspective, most genres are terrible at defining what they are and would require an explanation of why x game belongs and y doesnt.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Kamiya said the genre of DMC1 was stylish hard action so maybe you're onto something

That's where I got it. I was blown away by devil may cry and I really felt it was kind of a new genre. He called it stylish hard action so I went with that. I felt it always remained a very distinct subgenre and I thought hard action always worked.