• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
d7cxuRe.gif

Despite the gif I'm talking specifically in the style of Clone Wars or Rebels, or live action like The Mandalorian. Space dogfighting is such a core aspect of Star Wars it deserves more focus in the modern franchise.

I really miss Rogue Squadron(books and games).

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish the Legends canon hadn't been thrown out, because a straight tv adaptation of the X-wing novels would probably work really well.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Who said anything about cheap?

I was thinking the same budget as The Mandalorian would be more than enough unless you think we need huge setpiece battles every episode.
Considering Mandalorian's viewership, the reported Marvel show budgets, and the Obi-Wan director's surprise at the scope of that series, Mandalorian's going to be downright cheap next to the upcoming slate of big shows. Season 1 was pretty clearly Disney testing the waters to see what kind of spending they could justify. We could probably get a pretty insane budget out of something like this.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine with CG, space battles would be relatively cheap as far as action scenes in a live-action Star Wars series could be. High quality starship models can be duplicated to fill out large battles. Swarms can be procedural generated for background action. There is very little fine articulation to worry about animating compared to CG characters. It lends itself well to what CG is good at doing.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I would imagine with CG, space battles would be relatively cheap as far as action scenes in a live-action Star Wars series could be. High quality starship models can be duplicated to fill out large battles. Swarms can be procedural generated for background action. There is very little fine articulation to worry about animating compared to CG characters. It lends itself well to what CG is good at doing.

That plus space as a backdrop makes things easier.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I badly want a Rogue Squadron or X-Wing vs Tie Fighter Star Wars show that has a lot of fighter and fleet battles.
Maybe give us a New Republic hunting down and fighting the remnants of the Empire show featuring Rogue Squadron or another fighter squadron as the main characters.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
my girlfriend loved the Mandalorian - but she doesn't get excited about space battles, or extensive action set pieces in general.

so don't make the mistake of thinking that -just because the Mandalorian did well, a show more focused on space ship action would do the same.
People sitting in cockpits, going pew pew kablammo isn't as exciting to many people as people interacting with others face to face.

Like, the A-Team was a better show than Airwolf. šŸ˜

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
We need a new goddamn X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter game, never mind a show. Get Totally Games back together and get them on the job.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
my girlfriend loved the Mandalorian - but she doesn't get excited about space battles, or extensive action set pieces in general.

so don't make the mistake of thinking that -just because the Mandalorian did well, a show more focused on space ship action would do the same.
People sitting in cockpits, going pew pew kablammo isn't as exciting to many people as people interacting with others face to face.

Like, the A-Team was a better show than Airwolf. šŸ˜
I mean, your sample size of *checks notes* your girlfriend isn't exactly scientific.

There's plenty of people who would also be interested in this, who might not find Mandalorian to be their thing. And people who would like both.

Weird post in general though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, your sample size of *checks notes* your girlfriend isn't exactly scientific.

There's plenty of people who would also be interested in this, who might not find Mandalorian to be their thing. And people who would like both.

Weird post in general though.
i didn't say my girlfriend is representative of the entire audience of Mandalorian, but the show wasn't primarily lauded for its action set pieces.

People don't just enjoy game of thrones for its battles, they're a means to an end, to resolve interpersonal / political conflict that has built up over the course of one (or multiple) seasons.

There's a place for action set pieces in high budget drama, i don't think the entire production should revolve around it.

Like, isn't "Resistance" a series that does very much this? Focus on space action a lot? I don't think it was as embraced by the audience as, say, Rebels. (but that might also be due to the time period it's set in)

Qasiel

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. Animated, live-action, whatever. Space battles are the best part of most Star Wars games that don't feature Kyle Katarn so I'd love to see that on screen.

Hell, I'd like to see a continuation of the story in the gif that focuses on the Empire perspective but I doubt we'll ever see anything like that.