• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'd been mulling about bringing up this subject because I am absolutely not the person to really be able to express myself easily, but I think we really need to have a center focused discussion about this.

We most recently just had an issue that occurred in the Trans Awareness Week and the LGBT Issues Moderation threads, which covered aspects of the issue that I'm going to be discussing in this thread, because I feel it's incredibly important. And I absolutely think there are more significant problems on this board that need to be addressed further that both relate to those issues, as well as outside of them as well.

Before I start, I need to explain something:

I am an individual who has a number of disabilities that relate to a combination of mental health, as well as mental developmental problems. Some of these include:

- Inability to quickly process thoughts and understanding said information and communication given to me.
- Inability to properly articulate what I want to say both in a text and vocal conversation. The latter is significantly worse than the former, but I absolutely do struggle to be able to communicate easily. As a result, I cannot easily and properly explain things as a result, especially in instances of heavy and emotional distress.
- I do not understand and cannot properly process spacial relation issues, which creates problems when I'm given directions on how to get to a place or what I do (I often end up going left instead of right, for instance). It also affected my ability to properly delve into aspect of Geometry, which I at the time, didn't understand why these particular things were giving me issues.
- Emotionally, I'm underdeveloped from the rest of my peers and as a result, it does make things more difficult for me to handle.
- I have anxiety, panic attack disorders, constant heart palpitations, and I both shut down and break down easily under stress. Because of this, I am disabled, on disability, and attempts to try to put me in the work force have not been successful. I am 30 years old, have practically no college experience, and never worked properly either.
- For many of my issues, I am attending and seeing multiple people at a local mental health clinic, but it's a life long issue for me and I do not see myself improving. It's more just trying to cope with what I do have at this point and trying to deal with it the best I can.

And there's more issues I can get into.

As to why this relates to what I'm about to discuss, awhile back after I had a bad experience on Grindr, I opened a thread to vent. The result? Immediately an automatic assumptions, misunderstanding what I was saying, and it got to the point that I do not believe that the topic warranted further discussion. The topic can be read here.

What happened is I did not properly explain what happened, I was under distress, and I was not able to communicate properly. What ultimately happened was during the beginning of the conversation, I apologized to the user I had not updated my profile image in a bit, I sent him what I had at the start of the conversation, we communicated and made sure everything was okay from the get go, and somehow the user not long after that made some of those comments. Ultimately, it's no big deal in the end and I just learn from it and move on.

The topic was another matter. I was called out for "Cat fishing", and it resulted in a user bumping the thread in another topic which suggested it heavily implied to be me given the wording. To add onto this, there were comments intentionally fat shaming me, and among other issues in the said thread.

Another thread that I had opened up, regarding a trending topic on Twitter and I asked users how their High School experience was, a individual posted the following text:

From the sounds of it maybe a school that could better deal w/ your behavioral issues might have done the trick, doesn't seem like that school was working out for you.

I literally responded to the user to clarify, but they ignored my post and I can only imagine from that they were automatically assuming the worst about me and making said comment.

In another thread, after I brought up my experience on Tinder as a whole (which was a mixture, positive and negative, I think we all had that), individuals proceeded to try and "Call me out", including saying the reason they stopped talking to me was because I got caught "cat fishing", and then when I tried to explain my situation how I struggle to communicate, individual proceeded to say that I should google communication guides and stuff like that and practice and it didn't seem to matter at that point what I had to say.

For reference: Once I became aware of my communication issues, I had to learn how to communicate (took me over a year and I was still practicing since about 2003 or so), but I feel that as if I've hit a brick wall on this and I think I'm at my limit. Even my doctor told me not to over think it as this point and it's okay if I can't easily say what I have to.

These are issues that I personally experience and I feel are minor probably compared to some users, but I feel this is still worth mentioning. This is not okay and it makes me, a person with a number of issues as is, uncomfortable here.

However, we have had issues with some other topics, which I had minimal participation in, such as some of the Gym topics, in how they can be incredibly toxic in nature, and honestly: overly condescending.

Most recent topic comes to mind is this one, both in the OPs title, text, and the poll options. I often people see them post this in threads and it really bugs me as a user that I at first thought was a joke, but this topic seems to serve otherwise, including the responses feel kinda unwelcoming. There was also a topic I participated that also felt incredibly toxic and judgmental, and as a person who struggles to deal with self-esteem issues on top of what I detailed, this only made me feel worse seeing comments like this. Users did call some of this out, but doesn't feel it made an impact.

Now, this isn't intended to be a call out to individual users (and I realize it's hard not to discuss this without bringing up specific topics or posts, so I apologize for this), because I don't think it's specifically one or two people, but the fact many users are not being held accountable by some of the behavior replicated.

I do believe my personal issues, arguably are probably minor, but as someone who has to deal with miscommunications on a day-to-day basis, difficulty explaining myself, and then I feel people automatically assuming the worst, only makes these topics more difficult to post in these.

I've heard from users how uncomfortable they feel posting in Dating, Gym/Fitness threads, and among other ones, as well as some of the comments I've seen with people dealing with mental health issues and disabilities, is frustrating.

Not to mention, we've had threads asking for simple accessibility options, threads about possible issues with strobing/flashing that could cause seizures, many of these are ignored and buried quickly, or the topics become incredibly toxic that there is no conversation to be had.

We really need to talk about all these issues. I'm trying my best on this forum, and I realize a lot of times, I mess up, I try to explain myself better, and now I feel as if I ever want to post in a dating or relationship related thread, users will be quick to point out the thread above, without adding context, or I'll also be handwaved about my communication issues.

I should NOT feel this way about a forum that prides itself is making users feel safe. And I'm sure more users feel this way.

So really, we need to talk about this. How can we change this? How can this be addressed? How can the Admin/Mods make this safer? Because as it stands, I just simply do not feel safe on this forum in a majority of topics. I try and I keep posting, but I always feel I'm this close to somehow making a mistake and it just following me wherever I post.

This needs to be addressed.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just want to say I'm sorry about what happened to you. :( No one should feel like they are not welcome here. The best thing we can do is report these people when you see them.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
One of the general trends that I've observed on ResetEra, mostly in myself but in most participants as well, is that we tend to post too much. Too often we are content to insert ourselves into topics we know little about and issues removed from our own knowledge and interests due to the general sense of self-importance that having an easily accessed reply box at all times can create. More and more I attempt to practice temperance in when I post and how I post. I tend to be a bit rash, abrasive, and over-emotional when I post, and it's created a bad image of me on this site on both my former account (which I lost access to and sorted out with administration; it's now permabanned) and this one.

I think practicing this sort of deliberation in posting could benefit a lot of people, because the "groupthink" people talk about on this site is not at all a product of moderation. It is instead a product of our desire to follow the path of least resistance and, in many cases, to seem witty and biting with little substance. I think that this in particular is what has bothered you, OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say I'm sorry about what happened to you. :( No one should feel like they are not welcome here. The best thing we can do is report these people when you see them.

The problem is I have on a couple occasions attempt to report some users and it took the cat calling bump thread I mentioned above, for a user to get banned. I don't feel the report system is reliable and I feel bad saying this, but it's absolutely true. I don't think the systems in place are enough to keep me and other users safe.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've certainly noticed a tendancy to try and force thread backfires in any thread about a posters real life. That and being "brutally honest" out of projection of their own self-doubt rather than trying to be helpful.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that happened to you and I agree. I also think it's, sadly, not just a forum issue but just an issue on the internet. I'm part of another forum that's not really about gaming and people do similar things towards others. Whether it's making fun of them or trying to pry into them, if they don't do that then they try to make jokes or snide remarks. Just stuff that you'd never seen in person. I don't know, that stuff's wack to me.

Sadly that's something that happens too much these days online. We can get better on this forum though. Absolutely.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This site adores thread backfires targeted at an OP, especially if it involves OP's "real life" existence rather than video games or generic opinions. It's really not worth bringing up anything in your true day to day, as you'll almost assuredly have people shit on you for reasons you wouldn't have even been able to anticipate.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Yeah ; there was a thread there other week regarding racism at a Popeyes that basically just devolved into individuals yelling and throwing personal attacks at each other; no real debate or discussion. Didn't feel like it was being moderated at all.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah, I feel like too often we assume the worst out of someone with self created narratives from very little information. It isn't good for discussion.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I've been getting irritated by are people getting mocked for supporting Bernie Sanders or social democratic policies. It happens frequently in the PoliEra thread.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are just unnecessarily aggressive for no reason, especially in regards to social justice issues.

It feels like in order for them to make their point, they have to demean, or insult the person who doesn't share their passion for a cause, which ironically is incredibly counter-productive.

Yes, there are clear troll posts sometimes, but most of the time, it's completely unwarranted, and some people just need to get over themselves, and actually have a discussion rather than trying to shut the other person down.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
More than a couple of times I have seen people have patronizingly said "you have mental health issues, you should get help" when disagreeing about something, whether it's something as trivial as a video game or disagreements about economics. I've reported instances when it happens and nothing. As a mentally ill person, this is ableist as fuck and shouldn't be tolerated.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I don't post much outside smaller threads and community threads, since most times if I post in a larger or popular thread if I make one mistake or don't clarify something enough, I'll get multiple people "no u wrong" back to back.

I'm not someone who has an issue if one person mentions it and that's it, but when it's a gang up it doesn't really want to make you post in those kind of threads anymore.

It's like when you have people drive by posting, where getting in that zinger is more important than actually contributing to the thread.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That sucks man, I can definitely recognize your apprhension and anziety having some myself.

There is a culture of oneupsmanship on forums since forever, even here. Some people (usually men from my experience) seem to see this activity as competitive, and enjoy dunking on other people, and then dragging it out and trying to make the other person feel like shit instead of letting it go.

We are better than other places thanks to the moderation, but it's far from perfect that is for sure.

Twitter is the worst case example of this on the Internet.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Some people just forget that there's another human on the other side, it's so tiring reading/experiencing constantly toxic or childish people. So much petty and backhanded comments, I will never understand it.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I think youre setting too high a standard for this place OP. Even the best moderated places wont be perfect. In general i dont think there is any truly safe places on the internet sadly. Better to talk to your true friends and family if you really need support.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think youre setting too high a standard for this place OP. Even the best moderated places wont be perfect. In general i dont think there is any truly safe places on the internet sadly. Better to talk to your true friends and family if you really need support.

Except these are basic issues that need to be addressed and it should not be a problem to make users in any capacity feel not safe or uncomfortable posting on here. Comments like this only make it difficult to discuss the problems that this site deals with and it extends beyond just communicating with friends and family. By saying this, you're essentially hand-waving things that we could discuss on and how to improve.

This is not an okay thing to post in a topic like this, especially given how me and a number of users feel when posting here at times. Honestly, it's infuriating, frustrating, and it essentially keeps things status quo.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Use the report button more. Can't expect mods and admins to do all the leg work.
*This goes for the community as a whole.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use the report button more. Can't expect mods and admins to do all the leg work.

I've already explained, as other users have, we have done this. Often times it falls on deaf ears. And that's it. It's absolutely not enough, because it feels often at times the users are not held accountable for their actions.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I've already explained, as other users have, we have done this. Often times it falls on deaf ears. And that's it. It's absolutely not enough, because it feels often at times the users are not held accountable for their actions.
Hmmmm. That hasn't been my experience with the report button at all. Maybe I've just been lucky.

You can also use the CONTACT US link at the bottom of every page.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The mods may have felt the reports did not warrant action. I can't assume because I report something (my job is not to moderate just to make them aware of something), a mod will agree with my assessment.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
People do try really hard to clown other people. Like... they rush in to a topic and just try to dunk on someone.

I remember thread had some extremely toxic posts: https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...or-open-for-them.147858/page-13#post-25585441

Examples:
Probably up there with the most mentally ill things I've read on this site.

OP we are all on the spectrum to some degree but some of us realise we need to put down the crayons.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Except these are basic issues that need to be addressed and it should not be a problem to make users in any capacity feel not safe or uncomfortable posting on here. Comments like this only make it difficult to discuss the problems that this site deals with and it extends beyond just communicating with friends and family. By saying this, you're essentially hand-waving things that we could discuss on and how to improve.

This is not an okay thing to post in a topic like this, especially given how me and a number of users feel when posting here at times. Honestly, it's infuriating, frustrating, and it essentially keeps things status quo.

Sorry if i upset you. Im just trying to say this is one of the best moderated and progressive places already. The moderation team here do an outstanding job. If there is a better place im sure we will all be there instead. I dont know what else to say.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
First off, I wanted to say that I am sorry for the experiences you've been through, both on the site and in real life, that have caused you such pain. Also, I wanted to thank you for making this thread; it is incredibly well thought out and you make many good points.

Now, to address your concerns. Over the past couple of days, the entire staff have discussed at length the best ways to make the site feel more inclusive and welcoming to everyone, no matter your mental or physical health, your sexuality, your gender identity, upbringing, race, whatever. A lot of these problems cannot be solved overnight and will take time to completely rectify. However, the things that we are looking at doing in the immediate future are going to allow the site to foster of community of warmth.
  • One of the biggest things we are looking into implementing is a community relations program with a designated liaison. We hope to bridge the invisible gap between site staff and the general user base and be more active in the issues our members are facing. We want people to feel comfortable coming to us with concerns or questions they may have.
  • We are actively looking into a more diverse staff, both in terms or race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious preference, etc. so that all members feel represented and acknowledged.
I know that this does not provide solutions to everything that you brought up, but we are working on many, many more things that we hope will change the culture of the site going forward. The general unease that many members face about posting in threads is something that we are aware of, and we are actively working on a plan that will address this and change the way people interact with each other here.

If you have any other questions that you would like to talk about in private (if that is more comfortable for you), my PM box is open. :)

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is more of personal gripe/blog than a thread designed for a larger discussion. Is that worth pointing out in light of your personal experiences? Sure it is, you raised this thread with that framing. Reporting exists for a reason. If you post in a public forum you need to have a thicker skin and a wider horizon ready for all sorts of replies and posters/moods etc.

Mods are volunteers not personal mentors. Sure make a thread for yourself but as for a wider discussion based thread this ain't it. I'm not after an overly moderated OT forum either, that introduces all sorts of bias just as a full lack of moderation does too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if i upset you. Im just trying to say this is one of the best moderated and progressive places already. The moderation team here do an outstanding job. If there is a better place im sure we will all be there instead. I dont know what else to say.

I think you might wanna read what went down here, which is one of the catalysts as to why I'm bringing and making this topic up now:

While some of these issues were eventually addressed, there is still a lot of issues going on, including the issues I bring up in my above post, that are still not addressed or dealt with. There is a LOT that can be done to improve and make this site safer for users and make it not feel like we're stepping on egg-shells.

EDIT:

First off, I wanted to say that I am sorry for the experiences you've been through, both on the site and in real life, that have caused you such pain. Also, I wanted to thank you for making this thread; it is incredibly well thought out and you make many good points.

Now, to address your concerns. Over the past couple of days, the entire staff have discussed at length the best ways to make the site feel more inclusive and welcoming to everyone, no matter your mental or physical health, your sexuality, your gender identity, upbringing, race, whatever. A lot of these problems cannot be solved overnight and will take time to completely rectify. However, the things that we are looking at doing in the immediate future are going to allow the site to foster of community of warmth.
  • One of the biggest things we are looking into implementing is a community relations program with a designated liaison. We hope to bridge the invisible gap between site staff and the general user base and be more active in the issues our members are facing. We want people to feel comfortable coming to us with concerns or questions they may have.
  • We are actively looking into a more diverse staff, both in terms or race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious preference, etc. so that all members feel represented and acknowledged.
I know that this does not provide solutions to everything that you brought up, but we are working on many, many more things that we hope will change the culture of the site going forward. The general unease that many members face about posting in threads is something that we are aware of, and we are actively working on a plan that will address this and change the way people interact with each other here.

If you have any other questions that you would like to talk about in private (if that is more comfortable for you), my PM box is open. :)

No, I appreciate you bringing this up. A lot went down and I may have missed some stuff that came up in the other threads (I was aware of the adding of mods, admins, and communication stuff). I figured since we could have a generalized topic on this issue discussing this issue, figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it up.

Still, I appreciate you posting this and I'll definitely take you up on messaging you. I also apologize if my posts came off sounding harsh. I was just a bit frustrated given previous and some recent experiences.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Most recent topic comes to mind is this one, both in the OPs title, text, and the poll options. I often people see them post this in threads and it really bugs me as a user that I at first thought was a joke, but this topic seems to serve otherwise, including the responses feel kinda unwelcoming. There was also a topic I participated that also felt incredibly toxic and judgmental, and as a person who struggles to deal with self-esteem issues on top of what I detailed, this only made me feel worse seeing comments like this. Users did call some of this out, but doesn't feel it made an impact.
I agree with your general points, but in most cases helping to correct someone's bad form in the gym is usually one human being trying to save another one from being seriously injured. The people that try to assist are the ones that actually care. So I generally don't think the bad gym form thread is a fair example of bad forum decorum. That type of broad life advice isn't intended to be a personal attack on anyone here.

If I think someone is being rude or offensive I usually ask for clarification. Most people will soften their tone but bad actors will either ignore you or double down. Sometimes the intent is good but the messaging or the tone is off and the whole package is too much to handle. I've been on both sides of that equation and it usually only takes a few messages to find some common ground.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've noticed in some threads people try to make OP seem like a creeper psycho etc based off very little information. Jumping to conclusions and whatnot. I think, as people, we like all shitting on someone/thing. Under the guise of "I'm trying to help", it's easy to for the worst possible assumptions to make on somebody.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
When you reach the point where you have a era member calling parents, climate change deniers, the level of discourse of this forum has really taken a nose dive.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

To address this in particular, please do continue to report problematic posts. Admittedly, they do sometimes take longer than intended to come to a conclusion. We are volunteers and do this in our free time; I say this not as an excuse, but as an explanation. The reports we receive are evaluated by multiple staff members and are treated with the utmost sensitivity and care. In order to make sure the right call is made, we rely heavily on relevant perspectives within the team, and this can sometimes mean reports take longer to handle.

We acknowledge that sometimes we do not "get it right", but we will always try to do our best for our members and act with the best of intentions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your general points, but in most cases helping to correct someone's bad form in the gym is usually one human being trying to save another one from being seriously injured. The people that try to assist are the ones that actually care. So I generally don't think the bad gym form thread is a fair example of bad forum decorum. That type of broad life advice isn't intended to be a personal attack on anyone here.

It wasn't that. The issue was that people were assuming the worst and thinking the users were intentionally doing it and taking pride in it.

Specifically the topic title:

do guys have pride in their bad form at the gym?

The OP also posted this:

While I am at it, let me complain about the 5 minute cell phone break between reps.

It tends to mean putting less weights, which a bunch of guys dont want to do because ego.

and another user posted this:

It's often ego, a lot of guys feel it's less manly to start out with lighter weight to learn proper form and technique. I've seem dudes twisting and contorting their entire bodies just to preacher curl or bench press. I don't really give a shit. It's not my back getting fucked up.

And there's a few more in that thread too. Users expressed issue with some of the comments in the thread and some even felt self conscious about some of this. They expressed the OP and other posters should actually go in and help. So yes, it's more than just that.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

No, I appreciate you bringing this up. A lot went down and I may have missed some stuff that came up in the other threads (I was aware of the adding of mods, admins, and communication stuff). I figured since we could have a generalized topic on this issue discussing this issue, figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it up.

I actually think this post speaks to an underlying concern regarding not only communication but in distribution of said communication site-wide. The updates announced by Era's admins are good but are currently localized to the affected threads in singular posts that are very easy to lose track of, and people shouldn't be expected to have "been there" to know things are being addressed. A more public thread/announcement of said updates would be an appreciated step.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I've noticed, and dislike, is posters go from zero to 'scorched earth' angry/aggressive. There's no in between for many.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I actually think this post speaks to an underlying concern regarding not only communication but in distribution of said communication site-wide. The updates announced by Era's admins are good but are currently localized to the affected threads in singular posts that are very easy to lose track of, and people shouldn't be expected to have "been there" to know things are being addressed. A more public thread/announcement of said updates would be an appreciated step.

This is a good point, thank you!

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, yea, this place is often really aggressive no matter what the topic is. Sometimes its for good, when it comes to sticking up for marginalized groups, but often times its awful, when its people itching for a "thread backfire" or even when its a more controversial issue.

It's really bad, because I've actively noticed my own posting style on this board change. I used to be more reserved and calm, but I found that my back-and-forths have become overtly blunt and aggressive on Era (and nowhere else).

Sorry you have to deal with all of that OP, but I honestly don't know how we "fix" this issue on this site.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
-No more Grindr , it is often one of the most toxic apps on the planet
-Realize that many many people in Fitness threads will lack empathy which is baffling to me, everyone had to start at a "Day 1"
- continue to report , or PM a mod if someone is being problematic
- if action is not taken then use the ignore button until said action is taken . There is no one judging you over how you choose to vet your own Era experience

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Empathy.

One simple rule to live by is: don't do something you wouldn't want done to yourself. Pretty basic, but something I believe a lot of people have a hard time doing. It's not a perfect rule, but it's easy and straightforward to understand.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I agree that everyone should be treated with respect, and shouldn't be afraid to post, the issues you bring up are at odds with what a message board is/provides IMO.

Take, for example, what started this place/GAF, a mutual love for, and shared enthusiasm for video games. Everyone had varying levels of knowledge and different experiences with regards to gaming and fruitful discussions can naturally happen.

Now, take a look at off-topic threads of the last few years. A lot of OPs are asking the user base to unpack and understand a fuckton of complex issues. Let's be honest, a lot of people here need professional help as evident by all the suicide talk and lack of passion around life. At the end of the day, we aren't shrinks, so naturally the responses you get with these deep psychological posts tend to lack understanding.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I think many people get too personally involved or feel too comfortable sharing some extremely personal shit in a place that, by design, is kind of designed for every topic to end in a "gotcha". I don't mean Era specifically, message boards, comment sections and any other place on the internet where people talk and interact pretty much starts and ends with people trying to be the first to drop a sick burn.

My own personal advice, and you may agree with it or you may not and that's fine, is not to look at this place or any other random board on the internet as a place that can or will help with issues you have in your personal life. There are many, many well-meaning and compassionate people here, but as a whole I would caution against getting personally involved in any way or allowing it to affect your feelings. When it does, it may be time to step back a bit.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its a problem of the internet i think unfortunately, facebook, other forums, whatsapp, email groups, i faced some of the same problems similar to resetera that you pointed out, i dont think its something exclusive from here, but from society and communication on internet. But yeah we should try our best.

Sep 14, 2018
I used to think the site's staff could do more to deal with the environment here, which they can of course but I came to the conclusion that it's not really up to them, mods can't give people emotional maturity. It's up to people to suck less, but I don't think that's happening.

My advice is thicker skin, as unhelpful as that may sound. Don't let random internet people affect how you feel about yourself, or about anything really.

I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
People do try really hard to clown other people. Like... they rush in to a topic and just try to dunk on someone.

I remember thread had some extremely toxic posts: https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...or-open-for-them.147858/page-13#post-25585441

Examples:

Damn dude. This shit is exactly what I'm talking about.

Here's another example that happened a few months ago:

People on this site need to stop equating disagreeing with you with mental illness. It's fucking harmful.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
To address this in particular, please do continue to report problematic posts. Admittedly, they do sometimes take longer than intended to come to a conclusion. We are volunteers and do this in our free time; I say this not as an excuse, but as an explanation. The reports we receive are evaluated by multiple staff members and are treated with the utmost sensitivity and care. In order to make sure the right call is made, we rely heavily on relevant perspectives within the team, and this can sometimes mean reports take longer to handle.

We acknowledge that sometimes we do not "get it right", but we will always try to do our best for our members and act with the best of intentions.
I want to mention something I've frequently noticed, and maybe you can confirm for me if this is a forum tech limitation or an actual problem regarding reporting. I've used the report feature numerous times and I've gotten 3 different outcomes: Sometimes I'll get a notification that a mod has taken action and my report has been resolved, or the report is dismissed with no action deemed necessary. But most of the time nothing happens, there's no notification and life carries on. This is where I'm a bit confused if it's a case where the report is ignored, or if a different report for the same post/user was acted on instead so I'm just left with no news of a resolution while someone else got the notification. Because of that, it can easily create the perception that reports are in fact going largely ignored at times. If that is the case, the system could do better, and be able to notify groups of reports belonging to the same post.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Some posters here will jump down your throat at the first sign of weakness, or will read posts in the least generous way possible. Definitely unpleasant, some folks get really aggressive or insinuate wild shit for harmless comments, especially when someone shares personal stuff.

I don't think moderation is really going to help this, I think it's up to the individual posters and overall board culture to change.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think many people get too personally involved or feel too comfortable sharing some extremely personal shit in a place that, by design, is kind of designed for every topic to end in a "gotcha". I don't mean Era specifically, message boards, comment sections and any other place on the internet where people talk and interact pretty much starts and ends with people trying to be the first to drop a sick burn.

My own personal advice, and you may agree with it or you may not and that's fine, is not to look at this place or any other random board on the internet as a place that can or will help with issues you have in your personal life. There are many, many well-meaning and compassionate people here, but as a whole I would caution against getting personally involved in any way or allowing it to affect your feelings. When it does, it may be time to step back a bit.
This is good advice for the OP. Becareful posting anything too personal over the internet. Save that information for professionals with knowledge and empathy for others.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I want to mention something I've frequently noticed, and maybe you can confirm for me if this is a forum tech limitation or an actual problem regarding reporting. I've used the report feature numerous times and I've gotten 3 different outcomes: Sometimes I'll get a notification that a mod has taken action and my report has been resolved, or the report is dismissed with no action deemed necessary. But most of the time nothing happens, there's no notification and life carries on. This is where I'm a bit confused if it's a case where the report is ignored, or if a different report for the same post/user was acted on instead so I'm just left with no news of a resolution while someone else got the notification. Because of that, it can easily create the perception that reports are in fact going largely ignored at times. If that is the case, the system could do better, and be able to notify groups of reports belonging to the same post.

It's moreso an optimization issue rather than a technical one. "Auto-resolve" is the default action on reports, meaning that sometimes reports are resolved without an alert being sent. However, we're working on solutions to fix this thanks to community feedback. We try to encourage staff to give alerts for reports when possible.

Even if we don't action a post, it can be used to help establish a pattern of behavior down to line. So sending in reports, even if they don't result in any action, can help us do our jobs more effectively in the future by giving those reports more context. All reports, regardless of the outcome, are logged and can be referenced in the future.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I used to think the site's staff could do more to deal with the environment here, which they can of course but I came to the conclusion that it's not really up to them, mods can't give people emotional maturity. It's up to people to suck less, but I don't think that's happening.

My advice is thicker skin, as unhelpful as that may sound. Don't let random internet people affect how you feel about yourself, or about anything really.

I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for here.

This is the perfect example of the type of post that should not be posted and contributes to a toxic environment on this site.

It displays a complete lack of empathy and demonstrates victim blaming tendencies. Then finishes with an exclusionary message that is basically telling the person they are responding to to leave the community if they are unwilling to put up with bad actors.

Just an overall toxic post