• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say that? or are you just looking for conflict? You can put anything in those quotes and it'd make as much sense.

When you claimed this forum was formed based on ideological conflict. And not that fact the the old forum's owner had multiple accusations of sexual harassment and assault.

So, let me speak plainly, are you saying stances on sexual assault are just differences of ideology?

There are enough issues to discuss without absurd historical revisionism.

Last edited:

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
When you claimed this forum was formed based on ideological conflict. And not that fact the the old forum's owner had multiple accusations of sexual harassment and assault.

So, let me speak plainly, are you saying stances on sexual assault are just differences of ideology?

There are enough issues to discuss without absurd historical revisionism.

Well apologies if it came off revisionist, but I am remember prior to that watershed moment, there was already tension on that board due to the 2016 election and other factors. It doesn't change the fact that most of the people who left and came here we're already solidified in their beliefs that GAF was turning too centrist anyway. Maybe a difference of ideology was too dismissive, but I ended up leaving the site a bit before all of that shit went down so again, my fuck up.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I gotta say, lots of people here do go crazy and assume the worst. Not only that, theres an attempt at mind-reading and trying to discern the intentions by spending time digging through old posts to prove the person is a scumbag.

If it makes you happy, like whatever, its your time to waste, not mine. I don't think it's a mentally healthy way and in a way the nazis won by living rent free inside your heads.

I firmly blame Extreme Onlineness for this. Nobody cant force anyone to knock it off, but me and others have made their points. So let the chips fall where they may.
Pretty much where I'm at. Note that I'm not talking about calling out bigotry, but I am talking about instances of dogpiling that amounts to virtue signaling (e.g., "showing your ass," "this ain't it chief," "ok boomer," and whatever else). It appears that some posters feel that unless they express disagreement with a particular viewpoint that others will view it as tantamount to agreeing with it, and therefore they basically tag threads with brief comments that signal which side they're on without providing anything of substantive value.

This is symptomatic of Extreme Onlineness.

I also agree that there's a non-trivial amount of threads that appear under the guise of seeking advice but which are really better viewed as invitations for a support group or just venting.

There is nothing wrong with any of these premises -- therapy threads, vent threads, or a call for substantive discussion -- but issues arise when posters disagree about what kind of thread they're posting in.

I agree with the viewpoint up-thread where someone suggested allowing the OP to tag the thread with the type it is, thus subtly steering the thread. Frankly, I'm all for letting OPs determine some parameters for discussion and empowering them to enforce it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You know what would instantly diffuse a lot of this tension on this forum. It's impossible I know but, if everyone was just at one big gatherING like a BBQ. Everyone got to talk and hang out, most importantly talk, and maybe then people wouldn't all up in each other's faces all the time. When I say it's like a high school cafeteria in here I'm not talking about maturity levels. I'm just talking about how alot of folks tend to stick to their table and are unwilling to go sit at another table. Clique type mentality. You see it with the Sony vs Microsoft vs Nintendo stuff on gaming side. I'm sure it happens on this side as well. I'm not talking about listen to bigots and racists, I'm just talking about listen to everyone else. It shouldn't be a flex contest.

I'm sure having discords don't help, God knows the amount of shit talking that goes on behind closed doors so the next time you see someone in a thread it's like

giphy.gif

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but only Texans should lead the BBQ, because we all know Texas BBQ is superior to all.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Yeah, I feel like too often we assume the worst out of someone with self created narratives from very little information. It isn't good for discussion.

This right here. I remember a while back some guy made a thread about wanting to take pictures with some girl at a Halloween party and because he mentioned that he thought she was cute everybody started treating it like a trial. Accusing the guy of being a major antisocial creepy predator. Shit was bad.

This place suffers from major onlineness and it shows. When you engage with everyone assuming they're acting in bad faith then the discussion is already doomed.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum is way too combative, users are way too eager to bite each others heads off.

Nah, unfortunately that's not this forum, those are the times we live in. The extreme tribalism we used to see only in sports, politics and religion is now everywhere about everything, from pizza toppings to movies to fast food chains.

People are snapping at each other on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, random comment sections, everywhere. Even when they have to show their real faces it doesn't stop the fighting.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Nah, unfortunately that's not this forum, those are the times we live in. The extreme tribalism we used to see only in sports, politics and religion is now everywhere about everything, from pizza toppings to movies to fast food chains.

People are snapping at each other on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Reddit, random comment sections, everywhere. Even when they have to show their real faces it doesn't stop the fighting.

I don't buy this. I actually think people are so used to how it is on the internet that they assume everything is like that, kinda like how the internet seems to hate Joe Biden and yet unfortunately in the real world he still leads the polls.

I do agree those people exist and it has carried over to the real world somewhat, but it's not super out of control prevalent, at least not anecdotally thinking.

Aug 2, 2018
But this is a discussion board! It isn't tumblr or LiveJournal. The mission statement even calls out discussing various topics as being the point of the place, not simply listening to someone who wants support via absolute understanding and zero criticism of their situation. That is what a therapist is for.

I feel for the staff right now as they're at a crossroads where they simply can't win. They either continue to support discussion and then lose a lot of certain groups who want social interaction and a safe space all at the same time, again, the role of a therapist. Or they overly protect these groups, stifle discussion, and further perpetuate a groupthink environment which is already a bit of an issue.

Good luck!

I think this post hits the nail on the head. The staff have painted themselves into a corner.

This place seems like it is designed to be a clap back at other "toxic" places. A safe space where those who are marginalized can spit venom back at their oppressors in theory. That's fine but the problem it has gone to the extreme in some cases and now every person with even a hint of decent is a "piece of shit". And if the moderators come down on those marginalized people whatsoever they become the "pieces of shit".

I actually give the moderators credit. My opinions usually don't line up with the crowd here and I've gotten into a few heated discussions without being banned myself. But I don't post nearly enough to be an example.

Most of the people here who initiate the dog piles are people with thousands of post who are literal forum detectives and know exactly how to bait people into saying the right phrase to get banned. It's like people who call a radio show and try to argue with the host who is a professional speaker that talks circles around you all while having the controls to shut you down at anytime. Your not going to win that fight.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
And that's what should happen. But I've also seen people banned for saying "and i oop seems silly" and "my conservative mom freaked out when she saw a trans person in the bathroom, what should I say to her?". I know histories can play into these bans but we have no visibility on that.

I don't really want to drag this back up, but I also can't ignore how this example was wildly out of context. You got into it a bit more in later posts, but it is shocking to me that it was not immediately apparent to you.

That posted was banned for many readily apparent reasons, starting with how they suddenly posted it in the thread largely about how moderation has badly handled transphobia which contained a lot of discussion of how trans posters have to put up with politely answering things like that exact kind of post as if they always are in good faith and merit their time. And when it wasn't about that, it was for its original purpose: trans awareness week. There was 0 precedent for bringing that kind of request into the thread.

The user then insisted on continuing to post about it when multiple people (me included!) did our best to politely tell them that it really wasn't appropriate to suddenly ask for help in that way and especially in that thread. The vast majority of responses were not insulting; some were harsher or more flippant than others, but very few directly insulted them and they were given resources and information. But they doubled down on the transphobic wording in this process, and even explicitly positioned the request as them deserving others in the thread (as in, mostly trans people who were talking about how unwelcome the site has made them feel...) to share in their personal burden on dealing with their mother, etc. etc. There was a lot more to it than them just asking an innocuous question or using "transgendered" by accident. If it wasn't trolling, it was still wildly inappropriate and selfish of them in a time and place that was already very uncomfortable for the people they imposed that on.

These kind of things never happen in a vacuum, even in situations where it's not as obvious as that one. You don't always see the context but that doesn't always mean it doesn't exist; you don't always need to be the one to know exactly what's going on. And people still may be a little too trigger happy about calling out bad faith posters/JAQing off, and it may be good for everyone involved if they don't have to see any off-sounding post as being intentionally harmful, sure. But for these issues and related ones specifically, I'd so much rather the mod team get better at paying attention to potential problems (and this can just include quicker warnings, not only bans) before we start policing how people react to them. I think it would be best if people stop having to be so wary of potential bad actors because they don't need to anymore, instead of it being forced upon them while the problem is still happening. We should care much more about how people get away with being transphobic, than how some posters that may have meant well but still were hurtful aren't trusted.

Pretty much where I'm at. Note that I'm not talking about calling out bigotry, but I am talking about instances of dogpiling that amounts to virtue signaling (e.g., "showing your ass," "this ain't it chief," "ok boomer," and whatever else). It appears that some posters feel that unless they express disagreement with a particular viewpoint that others will view it as tantamount to agreeing with it, and therefore they basically tag threads with brief comments that signal which side they're on without providing anything of substantive value.

This is symptomatic of Extreme Onlineness.

I also agree that there's a non-trivial amount of threads that appear under the guise of seeking advice but which are really better viewed as invitations for a support group or just venting.

There is nothing wrong with any of these premises -- therapy threads, vent threads, or a call for substantive discussion -- but issues arise when posters disagree about what kind of thread they're posting in.

I agree with the viewpoint up-thread where someone suggested allowing the OP to tag the thread with the type it is, thus subtly steering the thread. Frankly, I'm all for letting OPs determine some parameters for discussion and empowering them to enforce it.

I don't want to be dismissive, but frankly- are you sure you aren't being Extremely Online in turn? Seeing people speaking up about issues that are important to them and/or directly impact them as some sort of mindless nominal "virtue signaling" feels symptomatic of it as well, just in a much more apathetic direction. Even when not about bigotry, this does still apply: sometimes people do actually believe in what they're posting.

...now, completely separately, I will also agree with the thread tagging idea. I think there would have to be some well thought out rules around it, though. Since I think there are times people could abuse it to demand sympathy for things that don't deserve it, and so on, and if that's the case then there should be some understanding that reasonable pushback isn't against the rules. But overall, it's a pretty simple idea that should help counter people's attempts to force a thread backfire and get people to think more about how even well intentioned advice can come across as overly harsh to others or be completely unrealistic for someone's situation.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think this post hits the nail on the head. The staff have painted themselves into a corner.

This place seems like it is designed to be a clap back at other "toxic" places. A safe space where those who are marginalized can spit venom back at their oppressors in theory. That's fine but the problem it has gone to the extreme in some cases and now every person with even a hint of decent is a "piece of shit". And if the moderators come down on those marginalized people whatsoever they become the "pieces of shit".

I actually give the moderators credit. My opinions usually don't line up with the crowd here and I've gotten into a few heated discussions without being banned myself. But I don't post nearly enough to be an example.

Most of the people here who initiate the dog piles are people with thousands of post who are literal forum detectives and know exactly how to bait people into saying the right phrase to get banned. It's like people who call a radio show and try to argue with the host who is a professional speaker that talks circles around you all while having the controls to shut you down at anytime. Your not going to win that fight.
The extreme you speak of doesn't really exist in the pervasive sense - not to where you're painting the concern being about minority reactions and topics concerning them being unapproachable.

People that are capable of posting with tact and consideration are able to ask questions on sensitive topics and get answers. It's not a large ask if it's a topic you're not a part of and doesn't directly affect you. Remember that minorities here inherently have to deal with a level of bad faith actors, so putting in effort to differentiate yourself not only gives you a better chance of being answered, but alleviates some of the weight from the community in question and the staff in having to filter/discern.

If you strip it back to the general appeal to and hitting of extremes in forum discourse then sure, but that wasn't how it was framed. Though you're exhibiting some of that in your post, as you admit yourself you haven't been banned for questioning things. Which you say isn't representative, but what is. The post from the guy that doesn't think trans people should call out transphobia because he can't call people fanboys gaming side?

People are explained issues relating to sensitive topics all the time, persistently. They were through the most heated moments of the past fortnight and they will be in the future. The only thing that's being asked of people is to show a degree of thought to how you approach things within those areas.