• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
DF has begun releasing some next-gen comparisons, with some... Let's say, surprising/unexpected results. It's irrelevant to the discussion at hand, so let's not discuss that here.

As we await further comparisons, I just want everyone to just stop and think for a moment before engaging in these types of discussions... We need to be civil around here - No matter the results.

Why do I bring this up? Because of shit like this:

Honestly, I could go on, but this shit is heartbreaking to me.

We should be fucking celebrating the fact that we even had a next-gen console launch this year, considering, uhm, I don't know, the deadly pandemic affecting the entire world...

Despite that, some people can't help themselves - They simply must defend the plastic box they've sworn their allegiance to, wonderful people like John be damned...

Alex gets this type of shit too. I'm not saying Era is anywhere close to the levels of crazy I've seen on Twitter, because we aren't. But as one of the biggest gaming forums around, we need to do way better.

I don't want John, Alex or anyone really, to face similar, let's just call it what it is, HARASSMENT because of some plastic box. They shouldn't have to walk on eggshells!

It's a fucking toy (sorry, had to borrow your words, Matt).

Let's set a better example, Era. Please be good to eachother. It might just help a little.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I could not handle being in the public eye the way these guys do. I hope they remember that the quiet majority love their work and really appreciate it.

Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassing.

What exactly do these people want? To make their toy sound better? Pathetic.

I hope the folks at DF overcome this. Fuck these people.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
If John or any of the DF crew see this thread: the DigitalFoundry channel can set mods for their Youtube comments. Those mods can delete comments if given access.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Please do not pour your identity into your choices as a consumer, people, for God's sake.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
DF should honestly remove the comments from their YouTube channel and Twitter. I'm not exaggerating, I have NEVER seen a meaningful discussion in there. They are the worst gaming comment section online, even 4ch is a level higher.

The lenght people go to defend/attack a plastic box is insane.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you make proclamations about what we need to do on Era . . . and then post only things from Twitter?

I mean, I don't think anyone insults John or Alex here do they, without consequences?

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It's so odd, because both consoles have really great and very similar specs this time around so I would have thought the console warring wouldn't have been as bad as last gen or especially ps3/360 gen, but it's almost as bad. People are picking apart the tiniest of differences in details like animals picking at scraps.

Please do not pour your identity into your choices as a consumer, people, for God's sake.

In North America we've already passed this point. Blue, Red, Good, Bad, My football team, your football team, my flag, your flag. Everything a person does, pays for, or supports, is like they're treating it like they're supporting their home sports team and it's become an issue that has become unsolvable at this point.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
We're lucky we can just ignore the fanboys. I can even not visit this site when things get super crazy, but I feel for people like John and the rest of the DF crew. There's no escaping the madness for them.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Would be an absolute shame to lose these guys and their incredible content because of stupid online trolls. They offer something to the industry that no one else provides and it's one of the only channels I look forward to new content coming out. I've based purchases on their videos alone many times.

Tl;dr DF is an absolute treasure to the industry and trolls and console fanboys are pieces of shit.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a tough spot to be in.

On one hand the analysis and explanations they provide are incredibly interesting and informative for the vast majority, but you just can't deny that their videos are literally fanboy fuel which feedbacks directly into the kind of engagement they get in return. It fucking sucks.

The fact that we need to remind people to be civil about details they would literally never be able to notice is depressing.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People are tribal.
Sports, politics, their brand of choice.
It's ridiculous but so many people are like it.
Their side wins and anything that makes their side look good is gospel, if it makes bad it's biased garbage.

EnVy_CaLiBeR

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that serious lol. But fanboys are going to fanboy for their piece of plastic of choice. And over consoles that are so close to each other.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, you make proclamations about what we need to do on Era . . . and then post only things from Twitter?

I mean, I don't think anyone insults John or Alex here do they, without consequences?
John stopped posting here for a reason. Alex is still here, thankfully. Again, it's nowhere near Twitter... But it's there and we need to do better. I think setting examples helps. There's always stuff we could improve upon.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a Dark1x stan thread
We appreciate all the hard work in analysis and comparisons.
It takes the voices of few angry console warriors to drown out the praise from many.
Keep your chin up dude!

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Disable comments and stop engaging with fanboys on social media or on Reset

Clownio

Oct 29, 2017
If you create a 20-min video explaining this kind of technical stuff, what is the point of going to Twitter to keep explaning stuff to trolls?

Just ignore trolls and/or Twitter altogether and call it a day. There's no need to be on Twitter (or read comments).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The abuse they receive is utterly disgusting, and it blows my mind just how seriously people take this stuff. But at the same time, consider that the console wars and fanboys are the reason these videos get so many views and so much discussion. Just look how large the ACV thread is.

Only a tiny percentage of those views will be people watching in good faith either purely out of technical interest, or to decide which platform to buy a specific game for. The others are watching to see which few frames per second they can use to score points or whatever.

Thing is, all three console platforms are fucking awesome. This gen is going to be amazing whatever you're gaming on.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
6dglTb6.jpg

i saw this on reddit the other day.. john is too nice, he shouldn't humor them. i mean, just read the first message, it's obviously not being asked in good faith.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry threads on Era can be rough and embarrassing because of all the console war stuff. I can't imagine how bad it gets on Twitter and YouTube.

I hope the DF team keep doing their great work and ignore all comments sections and message boards. It's not worth the mental toll.

The face offs are interesting because they provide insight and information. How people try to abuse that information or retaliate against DF is just frustrating to anyone who enjoys the content they provide.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
DF should honestly remove the comments from their YouTube channel and Twitter. I'm not exaggerating, I have NEVER seen a meaningful discussion in there. They are the worst gaming comment section online, even 4ch is a level higher.

Agreed. The reality is that any comparison video or article will attract the fanboys like a magnet. Unfortunately they re a rather sizeable percent of the audience.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
John stopped posting here for a reason.
For reasons around his personal health. He wasn't insulted he was asked questions around a video. Please don't misrepresent what happened if this is what this thread is for, since it's been long-since resolved and only crops up when people feel a need to distort what happened around the Ion Fury situation. You're not doing either end any favours by doing so.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Damn, didn't know John was a software engineer in the past! That's so dope!

Alex gets this type of shit too. I'm not saying Era is anywhere close to the levels of crazy I've seen on Twitter, because we aren't. But as one of the biggest gaming forums around, we need to do way better.

I don't want John, Alex or anyone really, to face similar, let's just call it what it is, HARASSMENT because of some plastic box. They shouldn't have to walk on eggshells!

John doesn't come around here anymore (except for that one time last month in the 1 millionth subscriber thread).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the DF crew have been caught up in some real crossfire from stupid console warring fanboys. I feel bad for them because they do some great work. Nobody else does as intensive breakdowns as DF does. They are really a valuable source of technical information.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having the money to buy a next gen console but not the emotional maturity to not attack people making videos comparing videogames.

I wish my life was this easy.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I know the post from the OP are from twitter, but we get similar post here on era. I've constantly seen members accusing NX gamer of being bias, with 0 credibility to back up what they are saying.

Oct 30, 2017
The DF crew just need to stop responding to absolutely stupid or console warring questions. These losers who define themselves by a piece of technology don't deserve DF's time.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
This isn't what I was expecting when I saw the thread title, but I'm glad this is being addressed. John (and the rest of the DF guys) are great. It's a shame that these toxic people just love to tear others down.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I respect Digital Foundry, If they say a version is better that's enough for me. The people who harass them over their console of choice not having the best performing version are fanboys and should be blocked every time.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I refuse to believe this people actually exists. I'm a happy man.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
So it's irrelevant, and yet that's exactly what you've based the thread on. lol.
That's what you took from everything I wrote?
The details of the comparison are irrelevant. They don't matter - at all - and I don't want them being discussed.

I wanted to make that clear. I wanted to avoid any and all discussions revolving said comparison, so please, either stay on topic or simply don't shitpost.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they do a great job. Console wars are so stupid, i think its actually pretty fascinating to see the differences, especially when you have no particular horse in the race

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Attacking DF for their findings is the definition of shooting the messenger. Those guys are great and deserve nothing but love.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that people stan for low cost computers in plastic boxes, not every version of every game will be perfect on the console you might buy in to, big deal.

Games are running quite well on the new consoles and we should celebrate that everyone gets to play good versions of those games instead of continuing this dumb console war mentality.

John is too nice of a person and these people don't deserve him or the rest of DF.

OP
OP
Firmus_Anguis

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
For reasons around his personal health. He wasn't insulted he was asked questions around a video. Please don't misrepresent what happened if this is what this thread is for, since it's been long-since resolved and only crops up when people feel a need to distort what happened around the Ion Fury situation. You're not doing either end any favours by doing so.
I was under the impression that's partially why he stopped posting? I didn't intend to distort anything, it's what I've been reading around here for a while. I'm sorry, I didn't know.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
I feel for the DF team and the amount of shit they seemingly have to deal with.

They have my respect for Andy Dufresne-ing their way through it to keep bringing us quality content.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
This site has been just as awful with comments on their videos.

John, Alex, Tom and Richard have all given me so much great info, retrospectives, laughs and more. They don't deserve any of these trashy ignorant comments.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I love the digital foundry guys and NXgamer too. Honestly, people suck. They don't deserve the abuse.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really sad and I understand why they still get involved with the community, they are a great passionate bunch and go out of their way to answer questions, very kind, informative and layman or technical, whatever goes and applies. It's awesome and much appreciated. Not going to fault them for not engaging if they choose, nobody needs that hateful flak. I guess all I can say is don't take it to heart, water off a ducks back if you can.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've had issues with John in the past, but no should be harrased over console war nonsense. Please ignore the twitter trolls John they just want to get a rise out of you.

BBQfritos

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2020
User warned: Dismissing harassment
I'm not seeing what the issue is. Some unknown twitter guy (who John has blocked then unblocked) made a mountain out of a mole hill? I dunno it's the internet man, console warriors are angry idiots everyone rolls their eyes over.