• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The EGS situation feels like the culmination of a lot of momentum that started back with the Mass Effect 3 ending in 2012.

For some reason, the gaming community has a hard time calmly criticizing things they don't like it. Instead, they have to be turned into "this is the worst thing ever" flavors of the week. Youtubers exacerbate this with their hyperbole and manufactured drama as their livelihood depends on it.

There are people calmly criticizing things but you and others only choose to see the toxic one

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Honestly I've mostly seen well deserved constructive criticism on this topic. If anything, it's pro-EGS evangelists who've been ridiculing Steam and suddenly "not knowing" Steam's feature set.

There will always be these certain individuals who swear a lot, this is the internet after all. But they are in minority.

That's your confirmation bias talking.

The second paragraph is particularly egregious, also.

The correct response you should have given is that, "regardless of which side is more in the right about the EGS issues, nobody should be hurling abuse or death threats at anyone else... it's fucking out of order."

What you wrote only enables the hate and allows it to perpetuate.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I just saw that rami ismail and jschreier tweets. If high profile industry insider and investigative journalist can't escape the toxicity, what hope do we lowly forum goers have?
"Toxicity" what a vague word, encompassing basically any and all human behavior we identify as negative or nonconstructive. Let's just put it this way, Jason and Rami made comments that were lazy and dismissive of a legitimate argument, probably because they've also seen plenty of stupid arguments being made, is it really that big of a deal?
Anyway, I will never buy a game from the EGS, it just won't happen, there are too many worthwhile games that aren't exclusive for me to dive into, this industry has been around for like 5 decades now, that's a massive catalog.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Discussions around consumer rights have always been a good Trojan Horse for gamers to spew toxicity and harassment, which undermine other decent conversations.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What? No . That comes from people being weirdo idiots and taking small thing too far.

biglebowskiopinion.gif

Read the Thread Before Replying

Asking questions that have already been answered in the OP or threadmarks adds nothing to a discussion.

Do Not Argue in Bad Faith

we do not welcome disingenuous arguments, deliberately ignoring or refusing to acknowledge counterarguments, or arguing for no reason than to upset other members. If your contributions to a discussion are clearly unproductive or lead in circles, it is time to stop.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This is why I Stan the Windows Store ;)

Holy shit OP they tried to come for your job? I'd take the death threat before someone fucking with my job I support my family with. I hope those goobers have their comeuppance.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
same!

i really cant see this as toxic as it is an honest presentation of their own situation. for many users switching between the two is exactly just switching launchers. this might not be the case for others, but that is not necessarily the concern of ppl whose experience w/ the two is essentially switching launchers.

what I do see as toxic is the name-calling and dismissiveness when one of these posts arises

How is the "Just another launcher" statement not dismissive? That's okay if you live in america and don't care for the functionalities EGS lacks, but turning that into an actual opinion that ignores everything else is pretty much what dismissiviness is.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
No joke, fellow developers and I basically just have a running thing about not clicking on any forum threads that involve stuff like EGS because frankly people are awful about it and have lost perspective. It devolves into conspiracy theories (which is just...I still can't believe people are ok with this), name calling, and promises of life long boycotts over relatively _nothing_.

And did you listen to the concerns people have?

I couldnt access the EGS for several months since I am in China and Epic literally blocked chinese IPs.
People who want to play with their preferred gamepad cant play it.
People on Linux cant really play the exclusive games.
People like achievements and, when cloud saves werent there, want that.

There are a lot of reasons why people would rather play it on Steam or not at all.

Of course its just games, but I mean this is a videogame forum, where people literally make parties for a Super Smash brothers character trailer.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really think there is a disconnect between the customers (how big they can even be) and developers. Both have pretty good arguments in my opinion.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Fucking gamers" is sadly a phrase that has been used many, many times by people on this forum. A simple search should prove it.
You aren't quoting forum posters with "Oh no they have to use a different launcher" you are quoting Jason Schreier. Don't tack on something a forum poster said next to the Jason Schreier tweet that's been the subject of discussion for at least 30 consecutive posts.

At least, don't if you're honest about prying the discussion apart from the toxic "My Side Vs The Wrong Side" overgeneralizing that spawned this thread.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nope, his response is still not ok. Responding to that particular person with some snark would be more than justified. Making a general comment against 'gamers' and lumping all of them into the same group is toxic.

His general comment is obviously about those who are in that same group.

Jason understands not everyone who plays video games is in that group. The issue is that the group is large and loud and literally harassing people on the industry on a daily basis for everything.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Discussions around consumer rights have always been a good Trojan Horse for gamers to spew toxicity and harassment, which undermine other decent conversations.
The thing is, of course I'm not entitled to the game, that would be silly, but going EGS exclusively prevents me from getting a game legally. That makes me sometimes sad, what really gets me is the vitriol I get thrown at for being upset at all the insults some posters and journalists sling my way and then call me the toxic one. Trump fucking broke reality.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Great post, OP, and it's really awful that you had to see so much shit from other people.

To put my own take in: if you look at the OP's post and go "yeah, exactly, I can't believe people are so mad over the EGS" like the posts I quoted below then you are very much part of the problem even if you're not actively looking to insult people, send death threats, etc. Comments like these don't focus on the toxicity itself but instead on the notion of using a portion of said toxicity to help one side 'win'.

But seriously I don't get why the epic store makes people freak out so much. Like yeah I'm probably not gonna buy a game that is exclusive on it, but it's not that big of a deal. It's just another store
Yup. It's a fucking inferior Launcher you already have 4 of anyway you can download and install for free. That's it. It makes sense that you wouldn't like it, it makes sense you would dislike business practices behind it. But the amount of hate and vitrol such a small, utterly unimportant thing can and has lead to is completely and utterly insane. Thank you for the OP.
I speak for myself, but I never got the hate. I can understand no liking how something turned out but at the end of the day it's a store selling recrational goods. Nothing on there is needed, and damn sure nothing on there is worth raising your blood pressure over and going insane

That extends to other toxic behaviour from any side of the debate, especially the toxic behaviour that isn't as harmful as some of the OP's examples. Justifying such behaviour with "yeah but the other side did x things and they're worse!" doesn't make it so that you aren't just continuing the cycle of toxicity that is so prevalent throughout the internet; all it really does is show that you've missed the forest for the trees. Sometimes it's best to just look at yourself and consider whether what you're doing actually helps anyone or whether it will only make things worse.

For example in the Ooblets thread I was dogpiled on and then called mentally ill/crazy because I dared to be a bit sceptical about a very obvious troll tweet from the developers of that game. Were my complaints about that met with a "yeah, you were right and I was being toxic"? No, they were met with "you're just trying for a 'gotcha!" as if I couldn't possibly have been offended about being called mentally ill in a derogatory manner. My feelings mattered nothing to them because I was on the 'other side' and therefore automatically in 'the wrong'.

Oh, and just to clarify because it needs to be done: this post is in no way meant to justify the toxicity of those on the 'EGS-hate' side nor does it have anything to do with the current political situation throughout the US and UK. Also those posts I quoted were merely examples, and I'm not equating them in any way to the more harmful toxic behaviour that is sadly so prevalent throughout the internet.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy to see the continued outrage every time a new deal is announced. Sorry, but as long as Tim Sweeney is trying to stick all of his fat fingers into the pie, then you're gonna see people get riled up every deal that is announced.

Whether or not they can succeed is left to be seen but given how Microsoft has tried and failed in the past to wrangle PC gamers I'm going to bet no, but it's clear that Tim/Epic just want to gain dominance of the PC marketplace so they can make it worse for PC gamers.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No joke, fellow developers and I basically just have a running thing about not clicking on any forum threads that involve stuff like EGS because frankly people are awful about it and have lost perspective. It devolves into conspiracy theories (which is just...I still can't believe people are ok with this), name calling, and promises of life long boycotts over relatively _nothing_.
So we should all just shut up and buy your game because of reasons? or we should support a store we have issues with because it exists? The insults are not okay but boycotting your game is, boycotting egs is.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I had the same thing happen to me on the Mixer thread yesterday. People can be very defensive regarding their hobbies.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Nope, his response is still not ok. Responding to that particular person with some snark would be more than justified. Making a general comment against 'gamers' and lumping all of them into the same group is toxic.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Just think he's shot himself in the foot with this his twitter activity today. But it will help him nuzzle into the bosom of devs no doubt so probably makes sense.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Agree 100 percent with your post Bronson. We should all want the best for our community, and this behavior reflects poorly on all of us. No exceptions.
Resetera must always exemplify the best of our fandom. It was created for this purpose, birthed from necessity. It is a place for all weary, tired sojourner.A family. It has been that for me.
But we have to stay vigilant. And our household affairs must always be in order.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I personally think we need more OT's for topics where the rules can be laid down from the start......and less people creating threads every time some fuckwit posts some bullshit on Twitter.....but I'm just a grumpy old git who dislikes social media,lol.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
You aren't quoting forum posters with "Oh no they have to use a different launcher" you are quoting Jason Schreier. Don't tack on something a forum poster said next to the Jason Schreier tweet that's been the subject of discussion for at least 30 consecutive posts.

At least, don't if you're honest about prying the discussion apart from the toxic "My Side Vs The Wrong Side" overgeneralizing that spawned this thread.

I honestly don't understand what point you are trying to make. I really don't. The phrase you are referring to can be found multiple times in every single EGS thread.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Expressing opinions on a public form can also be a place to engage and discuss them. By taking a pre-condescending position Jason is showing that he is not willing to engage or even talk to the people he is calling entitled. Which is well within his right, but its an extremely toxic position on his part.
I don't think it's that he isn't willing to engage in a conversation, I think it's that he knows what he thinks, and he sees how the conversations tend to go on places like Era and Reddit. I don't think anyone, no matter where their opinion lays, is going to argue the idea that having a civil discussion on Era about EGS is incredibly difficult, often to the point that it's not worth the effort.

Jason isn't an idiot, he spends at least a decent amount of time on Era. He's clearly seen the differing viewpoints and considered them, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt at this point that he's not one to just talk out of his ass on a subject. But he knows what he thinks, and he chooses that engaging on here isn't worth the time. That's fair, just like it's fair of everyone here to think he's consistently not "getting it". There's a lot of people in my life I think have bad viewpoints, but I'm absolutely not going to spend my time justifying that opinion by continuing to engage with them. I don't owe it to them to do that, that's crazy.

The way you express an opinion is actually very important. You can be decent about it or an asshole about it.
...I think that's a point he's trying to make too lol

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
For some reason, the gaming community has a hard time calmly criticizing things they don't like it. Instead, they have to be turned into "this is the worst thing ever" flavors of the week. Youtubers exacerbate this with their hyperbole and manufactured drama as their livelihood depends on it.
Oh yeah.. this totally doesnt happen in literally every community.. I suggest you check out the rationality and level-headedness of the average political youtube channel.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been genuinely disgusted every time the Epic Game Store comes up. We're not there yet but its tracking in line with gamergate for me.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
And did you listen to the concerns people have?

I couldnt access the EGS for several months since I am in China and Epic literally blocked chinese IPs.
People who want to play with their preferred gamepad cant play it.
People on Linux cant really play the exclusive games.
People like achievements and, when cloud saves werent there, want that.

There are a lot of reasons why people would rather play it on Steam or not at all.

Of course its just games, but I mean this is a videogame forum, where people literally make parties for a Super Smash brothers character trailer.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really think there is a disconnect between the customers (how big they can even be) and developers. Both have pretty good arguments in my opinion.
Of course it's understandable that people are upset but again all you have to do is wait. No one is owed something just because the devs want advertised it on steam. The Kickstarter stuff is worse but if the new policy is offering refunds than at least people are being made whole.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The broader problem is that this place is a shadow of what Neogaf was before the mass exodus.

That isn't directed at anyone in particular but the level of discourse on Era seems far less civil and substantial than Neogaf. This place is still filled with smart, interesting people but you often have to navigate a plethora of typical online nonsense to engage them and I'm consistently amazed at how quickly a dissenting opinion - even when framed amicably - causes somebody in here to pivot to outright hostility, snark, etc.

The level of discussion and the subsequent civility on Era is certainly better than places like Gamefaqs but those margins seem to be ever-shrinking.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yep. If console war bullshit is bannable, any platform wars, (at least on the gaming side because of toxic gamers), should be as well. We need to draw a line somewhere as a community (on this site), and just agree that we don't want that kind of toxicity here. You should be allowed to have opinions about store fronts, but as soon as what you are saying is attacking another person, or even attacking another platform, we shouldn't really have to continue accepting you as a member of this community. We can be better than this. There are still plenty of other sites you can go post on if you want to be a toxic douchebag. I hope ERA is working behind the scenes to come up with some kind of policy regarding this.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Really shitty that you feel threatened enough to have to call the police. That kind of people should never have a place in the discussion. Otherwise, I disagree in some parts of your OP (such as when people were equating him with Trump was due to his Trumpian speech, not saying he was an alt-right semidictatorial asshole).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with an EGS megathread for people who want to talk about this kind of thing.

Otherwise, EGS discussion has completely eclipsed the discussion of the games themselves. I've just had to try my best to ignore EGS threads. It's getting tiring.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Cause ansd effect? As long people stay respectful to each other it shouldnt be an issue, but we dont have to blame the effects.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's that he isn't willing to engage in a conversation, I think it's that he knows what he thinks, and he sees how the conversations tend to go on places like Era and Reddit. I don't think anyone, no matter where their opinion lays, is going to argue the idea that having a civil discussion on Era about EGS is incredibly difficult, often to the point that it's not worth the effort.

Jason isn't an idiot, he spends at least a decent amount of time on Era. He's clearly seen the differing viewpoints and considered them, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt at this point that he's not one to just talk out of his ass on a subject. But he knows what he thinks, and he chooses that engaging on here isn't worth the time. That's fair, just like it's fair of everyone here to think he's consistently not "getting it". There's a lot of people in my life I think have bad viewpoints, but I'm absolutely not going to spend my time justifying that opinion by continuing to engage with them. I don't owe it to them to do that, that's crazy.

I got insulted by multiple users for saying I lost a little bit of respect for Jason when he kept representing me in his articles as a "toxic gamer". To me he shows a clear lack of understanding of the issue but is insistent that anyone calling him out is akin to a GamerGater. Shit sucks.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet it's fine for customers to treat developers like shit? Both sides here are human beings.

As someone who has worked in retail for years, I personally think that sometimes customers need a taste of their own medicine.
No it's not good for either. When the developer is so tone deaf that shitting on people supporting his game is the way to go than I think that's pretty bad.

I got insulted by multiple users for saying I lost a little bit of respect for Jason when he kept representing me in his articles as a "toxic gamer". To me he shows a clear lack of understanding of the issue but is insistent that anyone calling him out is akin to a GamerGater. Shit sucks.
Exactly

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

My main problem with this is: Jason is a journalist. It's his job to talk to both sides and try to be objective about it. If he just want to be snarky and throw everything people have against EGS as "entitlement", he is not doing his job.

He has the right to have an opinion but completely avoiding the subject because some people are assholes is beyond me.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
I think the part that makes me largely unsympathetic to (most of) the concerns about EGS is that it boils down to having to wait for a thing.

In most (if not all) of these cases, we aren't talking about never being able to play a thing without downloading EGS. We're talking about having to wait. And not even the kind of wait where it's like "man, should I hold off and hope this comes to Switch someday?" Most of these announcements specify the timed nature of the exclusivity.

So the weeping and gnashing of teeth, the harassing, the vitriol... it's all because people have to wait. That's it. Does it suck? Yeah. Worth griping about? Sure, probably. We gripe about a lot of little annoyances on gaming forums, it's what we do. I'm pissed my only options to play Persona 4G in 2019 involve dead hardware and Atlas doesn't seem like they're going to do anything about that anytime soon. But I'm not harping on this every single day in every single tangentially-related thread with increasingly hyperbolic and negative language.

It's 2019, there's no way you're out of things to play while you wait for the game to be available via your specifically-preferred method. Learn to wait.
tl;dr: Atlus, where the fuck are my Persona Switch ports?!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Of course it's understandable that people are upset but again all you have to do is wait. No one is owed something just because the devs want advertised it on steam. The Kickstarter stuff is worse but if the new policy is offering refunds than at least people are being made whole.

Of course not, but I think the "Its just games" defense is not a good defense considering we are discussing it on a gaming forum.

Of course I can wait 1 year. My backlog is big enough. I still think I should share my opinion on the topic and how I think it might not be good for the industry, while being good for an individual developer.

I've been genuinely disgusted every time the Epic Game Store comes up. We're not there yet but its tracking in line with gamergate for me.

What? I would argue on this forum it doesnt have anything to do with gamergate. GG is about "SJW", "Feminazis" etc., not about whether competition, moneyhatting, a bigger cut etc. is good/harmful.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Equaling a division like this EGS issue as GamerGate means you have never spent the needed time to examine the arguments.
Not everything is a "gate".

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
In what sense? Gamergate was an harassment campaign against women from the far right disguised as "concerns" with the games media. The comparison shouldn't be made lightly unless you're suggesting EGS concerns are a facade for something else?