• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Except taco bell funded and created it. I could never get that anywhere else period

It's just an example. The point I'm making is that sometimes you can only get a specific product at a specific store. Is it dumb? Maybe. But unless a product was promised to be available at one place before turning around and going "nah never mind" I don't really see what's the point of getting so upset.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some people think that, I like the services world we are seeing grow. I can enter in and leave as I please based on content/price versus other services.
I don't see it as a choice. I see it as a requirement. A hundred different media companies want you to be forced to interact with them on a direct basis because they've all got something you want.

Sometimes this results in the creation of original content and I can see the value of that. A company creates something that wouldn't have otherwise existed and there's a tradeoff there. But any company spending their money to lock up existing content is just restricting me and hurting the ecosystem. EGS makes PC gaming worse with every one of these eleventh hour exclusivity deals, and then they and often the publisher and a bunch of other people besides race to be the first to tell me what a favour I've been done.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like posts like these are part of the problem. Based on this thread alone, it should be pretty clear that it's a passionate subject. If you know you're ignorant on the topic, maybe inform yourself before throwing out the ol I'm going to school them on how business really works stuff that we've all heard a thousand times on the topic. It's been discussed enough that folks shouldn't be all that ignorant one way or the other. I get that this is a forum, but part of the problem with a lot of threads here are the "well I don't know the specifics, but let me give you my opinion" anyhow posts. Hell, many can't even read the quotes in the OP before posting at times. I've probably been guilty myself in the past, but I really do try to be better, especially on heated subjects.

To put it simply, the topic is more focused on the discourse around EGS and you're on about how businesses gotta get ahead of the competition.

You're right giving an opinion with a sidenote of I don't get it is probably not the best, but I also don't think I'm actually capable of understanding it. Death threats, all the stuff in the OP. Nuts. I'll just watch it out from the sidelines, because EGS's success or failure or change literally doesn't effect me one bit. And that's the truth.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Death threats, all the stuff in the OP. Nuts.
You're absolutely right there but the fact that it even needs to be said is shameful. No one deserves to be treated like that, and certainly not over EGS exclusivity deals of all things. It's ludicrous and I'm glad it's something this site has no tolerance for.

Although evidently it's still ongoing to some degree because Bronson felt it necessary to make this thread.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

And in the event of something like Shenmue 3 where that did happen I fully understand people being upset.

The thing is though, games on PC are not required to be on Steam just because they're on PC. Steam is not the de facto PC platform. So unless people's money gets sucked up into actual preorders for a version that suddenly stops existing because of DEALS, I just find the complaints kind of empty, you know?

I certainly sympathize with people who get manipulated into preordering or crowdfunding a game that they then don't actually get to play. That shit is evil.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it as a choice. I see it as a requirement. A hundred different media companies want you to be forced to interact with them on a direct basis because they've all got something you want.

Sometimes this results in the creation of original content and I can see the value of that. A company creates something that wouldn't have otherwise existed and there's a tradeoff there. But any company spending their money to lock up existing content is just restricting me and hurting the ecosystem. EGS makes PC gaming worse with every one of these eleventh hour exclusivity deals, and then they and often the publisher and a bunch of other people besides race to be the first to tell me what a favour I've been done.

That's fine that you feel that way. I don't. I feel like I do have choices in what services/stores I interact with. I never expected all items to be sold in/on all services/stores. I think this is an unrealistic expectation and one that gaming (outside of PC), most digital media, and even physical stores have never done.

I'm not being forced to do anything either. I'm making a choice as a consumer of services. If I want something a service/store provides I am either choosing to interact with the service/store or not. I also find the verbiage "force" way to strong for for most things that can be consumed, especially entertainment.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You are missing the point. It is not only Steam. It has been explained so many times it is very, very tiring.
This is what I thought this thread would be about.

It's the fact that despite having a massive Google doc explaining the entire reasoning behind complaints regarding EGS exclusivity, we still have threads being absolutely carried by people who are either ignorant or trolls. This thread is 20 pages, and hardly any of it is actually about the thread topic. If the thread is even remotely about EGS, it's going to be 20+ pages of arguing the same things that have been argued since the very first thread on the topic.

Needing to re-explain the same thing to people 1,000 times is awful.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That's fine that you feel that way. I don't. I feel like I do have choices in what services/stores I interact with. I never expected all items to be sold in/on all services/stores. I think this is an unrealistic expectation and one that gaming (outside of PC), most digital media, and even physical stores have never done.

I'm not being forced to do anything either. I'm making a choice as a consumer of services. If I want something a service/store provides I am either choosing to interact with the service/store or not. I also find the verbiage "force" way to strong for for most things that can be consumed, especially entertainment.
What do you think of the EGS client in its current state

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when the threads started I would participate. Then we had a short period of too many threads all saying the same things to possibly have a coherent conversation. That's where I got off the train cause the rotten foundation of the entire discourse on the subject was already apparent. Sad to see those who stuck around got it really bad, but this makes me hopeful people will regulate themselves immediately or at the very least tire out on the hate like they did after a while with Steam and Microsoft when they were the big new boogeymen in games.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like to see way less hostility around the topic, and on the board in general. Tensions seem really high these days and it feels like people have been much quicker to turn to insults and accusations.

I'll remember how this thread was handled for a long time.

EGS using SteamVR for Tetris Effect

OP got banned for defending himself, while aggressively, for being insinuated as a racist because "We get it, you don't like EGS, because China I guess.".

The poster that made those allegations edited her post right after OP was banned and got away scot-free. I still don't understand how that happened.

I think it's fair to say that guidelines for EGS threads need to be clearer and applied in a more fair manner, no matter the user. That way perhaps everyone could behave properly.

That's pretty much my last input here for any EGS matters, because those threads end up being messes more often than not.
Speaking of editing posts, are you going to edit the misinformation in this post? I went and read the thread because it sounded wild, but this misrepresents the events quite a bit, regardless of whether you feel how moderation handled things was fair or not.

May 25, 2019
London

It's the fact that despite having a massive Google doc explaining the entire reasoning behind complaints regarding EGS exclusivity, we still have threads being absolutely carried by people who are either ignorant or trolls. This thread is 20 pages, and hardly any of it is actually about the thread topic. If the thread is even remotely about EGS, it's going to be 20+ pages of arguing the same things that have been argued since the very first thread on the topic.

Why do you feel compelled to educate people on the topic? Just accept they're not as invested in PC gaming as you or they're being deliberately obtuse and let it be. I feel like a lot of the toxicity comes out in these threads because everybody is convinced the war will be won if they can just manage to swing everyone's opinion to their viewpoint. It's just not going to happen, so we should all just move on.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
On a side note I find it scary people would try on reseterato have someone fired for diisagreeing on something, and try to find where that person lives.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you feel compelled to educate people on the topic? Just accept they're not as invested in PC gaming as you or they're being deliberately obtuse and let it be. I feel like a lot of the toxicity comes out in these threads because everybody is convinced the war will be won if they can just manage to swing everyone's opinion to their viewpoint. It's just not going to happen, so we should all just move on.
Because the only reason I post on the internet is to argue with strangers.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed! And like any business, if they make a bad business decision, whatever it is, they either learn from it or are doomed to repeat it. To bring this back on topic, the Epic Game Store seems to be working for most of the companies who have accepted the deal so far.
We don't know that though we only know of three instances where sales have been mentioned and two are positive, the other was numbers but it wasn't positive in how they were portraying. Maybe it's better than I think but it seems pretty transparent when if sales were amazing, epic would be yelling from the rooftops.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The admins of this forum are free to moderate the conversation around Epic anyway they want.

The fact that it may need to be moderated should be noted by the developers and publishers on the customers' anger over PC platform exclusivity. This isn't about defending artistic integrity or "ethics" - this is straight-up frustration over the customer experience. Dismiss the frustration as toxicity and you won't have an audience.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just ironic since I'm not allowed to complain when microsoft does this to get exclusives but you can whine and complain and insult people for the same thing.
Yeah you are allowed to because that's exactly what people did with tomb raider and guess what it sold way less than it could have. It's the same thing with egs store except way more pronounced and if epic gets its way than way more determental to pc gaming.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I agree whole heartedly, I usually stay away from EGS topics because if I say well I dont mind the store and such forth I will be bombarded with messages and I feel as if mob mentality kicks in and its to the point where its fine where people respond to me, but when I have 20 alerts in like 1 min then I feel its just mob mentality and people harassing me to the point where I dont care to talk about it anymore. Can we have a discussion sure, but when Im being bombarded non stop its not a discussion and more of a trampling really. You do you, I wont tell anyone why I feel they should like and or dislike it

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's just an example. The point I'm making is that sometimes you can only get a specific product at a specific store. Is it dumb? Maybe. But unless a product was promised to be available at one place before turning around and going "nah never mind" I don't really see what's the point of getting so upset.
You're using the analogy incorrectly, which is one of the major cruxes of why this back and forth never ends, because it's always these poorly thought-out examples. To use your analogy, Taco bell is not the platform here, it's the developer. They're basically like EA. They develop their own food menu, EA makes their own games. They make their own stores, EA made Origin. They sell their doritos tacos and baja blasts at taco bell stores, EA sells their games on Origin. This is not a choice of platform. What EGS does would be the equivalent of having Walmart walking in and buying out Taco Bell's menu and saying they can only sell it out of their grocery isle. Or say Kraft could only sell their mac & cheese at Whole Foods now because Amazon bought the rights to sell it.

This gets so tiring to explain and I don't know how to get people to try and understand it properly. And until people get on the same page this won't end.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

Maybe if you need a massive Google doc to explain your grievance and people still don't get it, it's because it's not as big of a grievance as you make it out to be.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Maybe if you need a massive Google doc to explain your grievance and people still don't get it, it's because it's not as big of a grievance as you make it out to be.
Or people continuously act in bad faith and refuse to try and understand the grievances, because they didn't just appear out of thin air, they have solid reasoning and explanations behind them that continuously gets dismissed by more of the same "it's just another launcher" rhetoric. It's frustrating, and there's no solution to it.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make any sense.
I remember seeing this doc somewhere, tried to see if it was in the op but apparently it, or I am tired. The idea was not about whether it is fair or not to criticize the EGS, but the behavior displayed while doing so, which can be excessive sometimes. As far as i am concerned i am just waiting, there are no exclusives I am in a rush to get, except maybe the rebeml galaxy game one day, but I will see

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe it's because people want to just shitpost in a thread without actually learning about why people have their grievances with EGS in the first place. Have you actually taken the time to READ the document, it's probably the best resource for anyone looking to educate themselves on why people don't like EGS.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Or people continuously act in bad faith and refuse to try and understand the grievances, because they didn't just appear out of thin air, they have solid reasoning and explanations behind them that continuously gets dismissed by more of the same "it's just another launcher" rhetoric. It's frustrating, and there's no solution to it.

People are naturally going to focus on "what's in it for me", especially when it comes to things of entertainment. It's highly likely what you view as solid reasoning and explanations are irrelevant to them either bc it is of no impact to them, or that they don't care as much about a grievance.

I think acting like people are "acting in bad faith" is a gross oversimplification.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling, ignoring the OP and the staff post
Why do people love steam so much, I swear it's like a cult.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're using the analogy incorrectly, which is one of the major cruxes of why this back and forth never ends, because it's always these poorly thought-out examples. To use your analogy, Taco bell is not the platform here, it's the developer. They're basically like EA. They develop their own food menu, EA makes their own games. They make their own stores, EA made Origin. They sell their doritos tacos and baja blasts at taco bell stores, EA sells their games on Origin. This is not a choice of platform. What EGS does would be the equivalent of having Walmart walking in and buying out Taco Bell's menu and saying they can only sell it out of their grocery isle. Or say Kraft could only sell their mac & cheese at Whole Foods now because Amazon bought the rights to sell it.

This gets so tiring to explain and I don't know how to get people to try and understand it properly. And until people get on the same page this won't end.

I already made my peace with certain products only being available at certain retailers YEARS ago. You can't expect everything to be available everywhere all the time. Hell, for a LONG time, most of the games I would buy wouldn't get carried at the majority of retailers in my area and I had to go significantly out of my way - driving 30+ miles and sometimes traveling to a different state - just to find copies.

By comparison, this just really doesn't strike me as nearly as troublesome.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think acting like people are "acting in bad faith" is a gross oversimplification.
i don't know maybe initially but anymore I feel it's completely accurate.

i guess it depends but to me with how epic has acted and shown, it could turn out much much worst, maybe it won't but I'd rather not have it lead that way if it can be prevented.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's not about steam, it's about consumer choice. It's about having games available on the PC platform, regardless of the storefront/launcher. GOG, Stream, Fanatical, GMG, Amazon, all the other stores I don't remember off the top of my head. It's about the platform being reduced from a myriad of options to 1.
People are naturally going to focus on "what's in it for me", especially when it comes to things of entertainment. It's highly likely what you view as solid reasoning and explanations are irrelevant to them either bc it is of no impact to them, or that they don't care as much about a grievance.

What you're describing is the lack of empathy that's been noted several times in this thread, which leads to the same thing.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I already made my peace with certain products only being available at certain retailers YEARS ago. You can't expect everything to be available everywhere all the time. Hell, for a LONG time, most of the games I would buy wouldn't get carried at the majority of retailers in my area and I had to go significantly out of my way - driving 30+ miles and sometimes traveling to a different state - just to find copies.

Once again, this has nothing to do with where you're going. We're not talking about "certain products" from "certain retailers". We're talking about ubiquitous products being bought out and shoved into a specific retailer after the fact, when this was never a practice before. This is a fundamental difference that you're not grasping. Like again, take Kraft Mac & Cheese (or some other generic product you purchase anywhere). You can find this literally anywhere: Grocery stores, gas stations, online, anywhere. But then Amazon (EGS) walks in and says no, you can't do that, whole foods only (or insert some obscure place you never shop at).

Just substitute mac & cheese for toilet paper, maybe then it'll make sense.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
This kind of post is really frustrating. Being against the current incarnation of EGS and how they're doing business =/= championing Steam. This exact thing has been discussed to death already and refuted.

You've done the same thing that the OP points out is causing a portion of the toxicity, came into a thread about a subject people are passionate about and made a drive-by post with no substance just to stir the pot and take shots at people who are against EGS and Epic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not entirely sure the PDF is that useful. If someone is generally uninterested in a topic, they likely aren't going to want to read a PDF on it, much less one that is 10 pages. It's just the nature of things.

Some inside baseball: One of the last thing I did as a mod was write something similar for staff guidelines for threads that talked about it. It wasn't as long (about 2 pages), but it specifically talked about the things I considered to be the main drivers of hostility/contention, which are:

'Just another launcher' posts/users being upset that their concerns with merit aren't being considered as such
The extremely hostile/argumentative tack the threads eventually get to
I don't know if it's really used anymore, but those were the main things of concern for me back then.

Cut this shit out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, this has nothing to do with where you're going. We're not talking about "certain products" from "certain retailers". We're talking about ubiquitous products being bought out and shoved into a specific retailer after the fact, when this was never a practice before. This is a fundamental difference that you're not grasping.

No, it's not a fundamental difference. If I only had one store within 50 miles where I could buy a game I wanted to play and there were NO other options to get it because all the other retailers in the area were Best Buys and Wal-Marts that only stock 15 copies of Grand Theft Auto and Halo for sale and nothing else, it's the same thing. Access to product is access to product.

You need to stop coming at me like I'm trolling you. I'm not. We just don't agree on the severity of the situation.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know what societal harm has come out of micro-transactions or why children have unmonitored access to money to buy them. The 'think of the children' stuff always gets brought up but its almost never supported or explained. Epic has parental controls.

Micro transactions are to new to really know, but the gambling aspect of it is well known, because gambling and gambling addiction has been around forever. I think micro-transactions are fine when you pay for a thing and get the thing you want. Loot boxes, even ones that use currency earned in game are not good for anyone.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm not entirely sure the PDF is that useful. If someone is generally uninterested in a topic, they likely aren't going to want to read a PDF on it, much less one that is 10 pages. It's just the nature of things.

Some inside baseball: One of the last thing I did as a mod was write something similar for staff guidelines for threads that talked about it. It wasn't as long (about 2 pages), but it specifically talked about the things I considered to be the main drivers of hostility/contention, which are:

'Just another launcher' posts/users being upset that their concerns with merit aren't being considered as such
The extremely hostile/argumentative tack the threads eventually get to
I don't know if it's really used anymore, but those were the main things of concern for me back then.

Cut this shit out.
It doesn't help that it's out of date. Regardless though I think it's a good resource and it's worth taking a minute to skim through it if someone cares enough about the topic to get into arguments about it on a forum. (It's also not actually that long of a read, it's got a lot of blank space and it's using fairly large type) Still you're right in that there really needs to be a 1 page TLDR kind of introduction to the topic with solid points for and against EGS, maybe it could be used as a new more encompassing [Staff Post].

Here it is for reference if anyone is interested: http://epic.pcgamingera.com/Epic.pdf

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017

I don't agree completely. Supporting developers does not mean customers are forced to support a platform they dislike. Yes it is great that developers are doing well, but Epic complaints shouldn't be dismissed as a mere tantrum.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I find calling out opposing viewpoints as "bad faith" is highly overused here. It's a simple "out" for people to ignore others who view something differently.
its not especially when the person has been explained it and even if they don't agree just parrots the same points over and over. I call that arguing in bad faith and there's been plenty of that especially in egs threads.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
its not especially when the person has been explained it and even if they don't agree just parrots the same points over and over. I call that arguing in bad faith and there's been plenty of that especially in egs threads.

I see everyone doing this in these threads regardless of their stance, repeating the same arguments to no end. I mean this thread alone is 20 pages, there is bound to be redundancy. Also I don't think repeating something between threads is inherently bad, it just means the people feel the same as they did before and have not been convinced to see it in another way.

That doesn't mean these posters are "arguing in bad faith" to deceive/rile others.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see everyone doing this in these threads regardless of their stance, repeating the same arguments to no end. I mean this thread alone is 20 pages, there is bound to be redundancy. Also I don't think repeating something between threads is inherently bad, it just means the people feel the same as they did before and have not been convinced to see it in another way.

That doesn't mean these posters are "arguing in bad faith" to deceive/rile others.
I agree that some may not be but I don't believe for a second that just as many are arguing in bad faith.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Dude did you even read the thread? It is more about the community and how toxic every thread gets when talking about EGS. The OP literally posted how he got death threats due to it.
of course, im just pointing out how the mods are quick to shutdown any discussion regarding the community even if it is well written and thought out.