• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
If it is participation rewards doing it, why is it primarily men that get affected, but not women? You'd expect this to hit both genders equally.
I don't think it's the only thing doing it and I do believe that it's had an effect on both sexes but the effect has manifested itself in different ways.
This is a bit of a deflection from issues.

What about patriarchy and how it makes men entitled as well as cause various issues of toxic masculinity.

It's still mega toxic as various LGBTQ communities can attest to various effects of its toxicity. I think metoo, MRA and gamergate show that entitled men who go beyond rational lines of disagreement are a real problem. Sorry we have governments in europe asking families to kill gay people or they will I've been alive since the 80s and nothing from that era comes close to what i mentioned.

The problem is far worse now that people who weren't connected and online in those times have acces to each other in echo chambers that basically none of us can stop and those that can are quick to appease them under garbage notions of freedom of speech.
I never said that it was great now just that I don't see how things have gotten worse over time but yet this problem of how men are dealing with masculinity has.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
You make some excellent points and I did consider the fact that this issue seems to effect one group significantly more than the others. I can only speak to the impact that I saw in my own family where there's practically a generational split between me and my older siblings and my younger siblings in terms of what we've been able to achieve. Same parents, same upbringing but my younger brothers and sister are seemingly lost trying to figure out what to do with themselves. Their not killing people but maybe being lost has a greater impact on some more than others.

I feel a lot of this has to do with the economy too. Fourty years ago, you could get a job relatively easy, at least as a guy, and advance. Even less qualified people could get a house.
Today, you'll not even get a permanent contract when you start, and it goes downhill from there.

Our current situation seems to foster a lack of perspective, especially with the precarious employment young people face :(

Maybe where you live/work but some school districts are lazier than others. I went back to visit my junior high school and they no longer had sports or gym at all, said it cost too much. I can't imagine going through four grades with no sports or phys ed.

Wow. That sounds insane. Definitely not the case here (Germany). We have enough gyms, some were even used temporarily to house refugees and there still was no shortage. For example, a local school has two HUGE ones, each able to be split in three parts so that a total of six classes can have a go at it at once.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
You said they were treated like shit through their school years. But i think it's important to believe that failure and rejection are not suffering, no matter how many. But to be ripped away by violence against your agency.

Being bullied and traumatized constantly during your teen years doesn't tend to have a positive affect on people's personalities or mental state. Violence was definitely a thing I went through during my school years, and my coworker was relaying some of the crap he went through as well. I think people may not realize what hell school can be for some people.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being bullied and traumatized constantly during your teen years doesn't tend to have a positive affect on people's personalities or mental state. Violence was definitely a thing I went through during my school years, and my coworker was relaying some of the crap he went through as well. I think people may not realize what hell school can be for some people.
I'm not going to go into my story. But at one point I had to realize that none of the negativity I had so firmly grasped had done me any good, or would ever pay off in the end. And if it did pay off, it would just be passing the buck to someone who probably didn't deserve it. This isn't about forgiveness, this is about personal well being.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
This.

I know a lot of people that never had a relationship and they never spoke bad about women. Most of them have rather liberal views. On the other hand there are people like Trump who have relationships and still speak bad about women.
This is about a specific group of people. It's not about everyone who is/has been bad at social interaction.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I feel a lot of this has to do with the economy too. Fourty years ago, you could get a job relatively easy, at least as a guy, and advance. Even less qualified people could get a house.
Today, you'll not even get a permanent contract when you start, and it goes downhill from there.

Our current situation seems to foster a lack of perspective, especially with the precarious employment young people face :(

Wow. That sounds insane. Definitely not the case here (Germany). We have enough gyms, some were even used temporarily to house refugees and there still was no shortage. For example, a local school has two HUGE ones, each able to be split in three parts so that a total of six classes can have a go at it at once.
It feels like we're all looking for one or two simple explanations when the real truth is that a host of factors how contributed to a perfect storm of messed up youth.

I think that I remember reading that this isn't even unique and that there was a similar crisis during the industrial revolution due to how much life changed going from agrarian to urban life. Maybe it's just a cycle?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not just white men. Asian community has alot too. Typically looked down upon for racial stereotypes of being the math wiz and bad at sports, shorter and skinny ect. Browse any of the incel forums on reddit (before it was removed) or 4chan ect.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to go into my story. But at one point I had to realize that none of the negativity I had so firmly grasped had done me any good, or would ever pay off in the end. And if it did pay off, it would just be passing the buck to someone who probably didn't deserve it. This isn't about forgiveness, this is about personal well being.

Yes, but that's you. It'd be nice if everyone had an epiphany and turned a corner, but that's extremely unrealistic. A lot of people require years of therapy to work through their problems. A lot of people have no real control over their mental state and are clinically depressed or have other disorders (on the spectrum) which may be why they were ostracized in the first place. It's not as clear cut as you are trying to make it.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but that's you. It'd be nice if everyone had an epiphany and turned a corner, but that's extremely unrealistic. A lot of people require years of therapy to work through their problems. A lot of people have no real control over their mental state and are clinically depressed or have other disorders (on the spectrum) which may be why they were ostracized in the first place. It's not as clear cut as you are trying to make it.
This journey took over two decades. I didn't say it was easy. it was many stages of understanding and realizations. At each of those steps was a choice. Whether accept my new epiphany, or continue with the old thesis.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really disturbing and there are many factors we need to work on in our society to try and prevent more people from going down this path. They are 100% responsible for their actions but we as a society need to try and understand this better and prevent it. Clearly this is not something that can be hand waved like it was in 2014 with GG. These people are connected and they are reachable simply by a couple clicks of a mouse and keyboard. I think we need to work on preventing bullying and educating parents about the internet. It's absolutely disgusting that 4chan has a new generation of users.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I was a loser virgin 4chan browser for much of my teens. I can't say for sure what got me out of it but i kind of just "grew out of it." I got a normal job, normal friends, and a normal life.

I honestly think for a lot of these guys 99% of what they think is just a fabrication and if they just stepped outside for awhile, get offline, and saw for themselves that the real world very different from the one in their heads.

Let's be honest, if you're a young straight white male in 2018 USA then you've got the golden ticket of life circumstances. If these young men could realize just how good they have it they probably wouldn't throw it all away over dumb "chad" and "cuck" memes and take other lives with them when they do.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Really disturbing and there are many factors we need to work on in our society to try and prevent more people from going down this path. They are 100% responsible for their actions but we as a society need to try and understand this better and prevent it. Clearly this is not something that can be hand waved like it was in 2014 with GG. These people are connected and they are reachable simply by a couple clicks of a mouse and keyboard. I think we need to work on preventing bullying and educating parents about the internet. It's absolutely disgusting that 4chan has a new generation of users.

I think counting on other people to be good parents is already a dead end. Just the divorce rates alone make it obvious that you can't rely on that part of the equation.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's counter-productive since it reinforces the toxic belief that women are there to satiate male wants/ needs. Who would want to subject sex workers to these chuds, anyways?
Isn't the fact that they are chuds in part due to how society compartmentalizes and glorifies sex in an unhealthy way?

People wouldnt think that their loneliness is cause to lash out if they realized their loneliness wasnt such a big deal. That conversations about sex and insecurity are resitricted only to poisonous people in the fringes that drag each other down and turn against the majority is a byproduct of a society unwilling to engage them outside of those contexts.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Lumping every social-inept, lonely, outcast, nerdy, etc. person into the same group certainly doesn't help solve this problem. it is also far, far away from liberal, progressive or humanitarian views.

I have my circle of friends, but I also like to be alone, always did. I currently don't have the desire to find a girlfriend or even date. That can change but I am happy at the moment how things are. I am a liberal feminist at heart but would be thrown into the incel crowd according to some, here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I was a loser virgin 4chan browser for much of my teens. I can't say for sure what got me out of it but i kind of just "grew out of it." I got a normal job, normal friends, and a normal life.

I honestly think for a lot of these guys 99% of what they think is just a fabrication and if they just stepped outside for awhile, get offline, and saw for themselves that the real world very different from the one in their heads.

Let's be honest, if you're a young straight white male in 2018 USA then you've got the golden ticket of life circumstances. If these young men could realize just how good they have it they probably wouldn't throw it all away over dumb "chad" and "cuck" memes and take other lives with them when they do.

There is nothing a young straight white male in 2018 USA wants to hear less than that they have "got the golden ticket of life circumstances". It may be true, but you can't tell them that they have to realize it on their own or nothing will imprint.

Lumping every social-inept, lonely, outcast, nerdy, etc. person into the same group certainly doesn't help solve this problem. it is also far, far away from liberal, progressive or humanitarian views.

I have my circle of friends, but I also like to be alone, always did. I currently don't have the desire to find a girlfriend or even date. That can change but I am happy at the moment how things are. I am a liberal feminist at heart but would be thrown into the incel crowd according to some, here.

Being an incel is a mind set, not a set of circumstances in my opinion.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
If these young men could realize just how good they have it they probably wouldn't throw it all away over dumb "chad" and "cuck" memes and take other lives with them when they do.
I don't think the solution is trying to find a way to let them know how good they have it. I think what we have to do is continue working at equalizing privilege so that no one group of people grows up being exclusively catered to and expecting life to always be that easy for them. Nobody is born feeling entitled... that happens because you get told often enough that you deserve more.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Being an incel is a mind set, not a set of circumstances in my opinion.

The issue is it's often described as a set of circumstances leading some of those meeting those circumstances in whole or in part feeling unfairly lumped in. "Single basement-dwelling neckbeard" is a physical and circumstantial descriptor after all.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the fact that they are chuds in part due to how society compartmentalizes and glorifies sex in an unhealthy way?

People wouldnt think that their loneliness is cause to lash out if they realized their loneliness wasnt such a big deal. That conversations about sex and insecurity are resitricted only to poisonous people in the fringes that drag each other down and turn against the majority is a byproduct of a society unwilling to engage them outside of those contexts.

I think I addressed this in a related thread, and we're in agreement, for the most part

https://www.resetera.com/posts/7144809

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
As long as we add the caveat "white men", because it is largely them this pertains to

Majority for sure. But I have seen nuggets of that MRA and Red Pill bullshit pop up on majority black male dominating forums in the last year or so too. Especially spaces where there's sections to talk about dating or personal life. These losers pop up and give an entire sermon about how you need to abandon women and take the red pill and all that shit. Doesn't seem to get much traction, but even SEEING it in these communities worries me.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Majority for sure. But I have seen nuggets of that MRA and Red Pill bullshit pop up on majority black male dominating forums in the last year or so too. Especially spaces where there's sections to talk about dating or personal life. These losers pop up and give an entire sermon about how you need to abandon women and take the red pill and all that shit. Doesn't seem to get much traction, but even SEEING it in these communities worries me.
It's almost like the colour of your skin doesn't matter.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is it's often described as a set of circumstances leading some of those meeting those circumstances in whole or in part feeling unfairly lumped in. "Single basement-dwelling neckbeard" is a physical and circumstantial descriptor after all.

A "single basement-dwelling neckbeard" does not necessarily have to be an incel, "a single basement-dwelling neckbeard who blames women for his problems" would be a better potential descriptor. If we can keep that definition clear moving forward I think that will be important in assuaging the worries some are bringing up in this thread about unfairly lumping people into this category.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
A "single basement-dwelling neckbeard" does not necessarily have to be an incel, "a single basement-dwelling neckbeard who blames women for his problems" would be a better potential descriptor. If we can keep that definition clear moving forward I think that will be important in assuaging the worries some are bringing up in this thread about unfairly lumping people into this category.

just for completion sake, what is a High-rise dwelling, attractive, misogynist called?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I think this is a direct consequence of how society keeps pushing the idea of being sexually active in your teen years and losing your virginity early on - some people feel like they can't keep up with these expectations set by pop culture as well as society as a whole and so they feel like they don't belong with the rest.

I myself feel pressured by my family to move on with my sex life (I'm 19, freshman in college) and I hate being subjected to these ridiculous expectations - people should be able to live their lives without having to meet anyone's expectations. Not saying this is the sole reason for this phenomenon, but it's certainly an important part of it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Incels are just unsuccessful PUA, at least the vast majority

Even if they were successful they'd still be pieces of shit.

It's a status/power thing, they lament that they can't seem just pick up any girl they want because they get rejected all the time, usually because they have the charm and social skills of a telephone pole. In this stage you kind of feel bad for them, some of them are probably clueless and lonely.

They start out like these socially awkward "creepy nice guys", who think they are oh so nice, but they're anything but. When they inevitably get shot down they lash out in anger. Eventually they conclude that it's not them with the problem it's that women only date jerks and all other non-single men are just assholes.

Not all people end up this way of course, but for some of these people, that anger, feeling of injustice and ever increasing rejection builds until they descend into the MRA/redbill bullshit.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
In hindsight, GG was likely one of the most influential and important moments of the last decade and it might be years if not decades before we truly know about its ramifications
You are absolutely right. Everyone who was full gung ho into gamergate is basically still banging drums only in your favorite thinly veiled white supremacist online group.

There are black men in there as well don't get it twisted, white males may may up the majority but some young black men identify more with the same strifes that their white male counterparts lament, and take on their talking points to the degree of sounding like apologist for white supremacy every time it rears its head. I'm looking at you Kanye.

Oct 27, 2017
This may not be a well received opinion and may just come across like an old man yelling at clouds but I really believe that the seeds for what we're dealing with now with angry young men began with the way schools treated competition and social structure starting around the early 90s. Once participation trophies and the like became a thing I think that it set up every kid to believe that's how life works, you show up a you get the same prize as everyone else. I never gave it much thought until I noticed the effect not competing to win had on my younger siblings. An important aspect of your education and development when you're young is understanding what you're good and bad at doing. It's when you figure out if you're a follower or a leader. It's when you learn not just how to succeed but more importantly how to take failure. Taking away that competitive aspect of youth may have seemed like a healthy idea but I really believe that it damaged the ability of young people to assess themselves and set them up with unrealistic views on success. Now we have an entire generation of kids that all believe they should be winners when the truth is much harsher than that and they've never been properly prepared for it.

yes. And it really doesn't help that there's so much income inequality either. We went from leading the world to trailing in all things manufactured, first by Japan in the late 70s and 80s to now China, Korea, and southeast Asian countries. This has affected middle income America (both black, white, hispanic, asian) leaving many families struggling to make ends meet. This leaves these parents often unable to raise their children due to having no time, energy and resources. So young people turn to the internet for a sense of community and belonging which can be dangerous as there are groups from all political sides who prey on them.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Media is a more likely culprit.

Take incels in particular.

Look at media, then. It is filled with stories of loser guys that do nothing, yet get sexy women throwing themselves at the loser guys, without said guy doing a thing. It is the default for stories, especially in anime. *THIS* is what many young men these days expect from life. There clearly are many women around, so where are *their* women? Are they not as much an everyman as the parade of guys in their favorite anime/game that always get their waifu? Where is their sexsla.... girlfriend?

But real women don't like that role. Real women take effort, and they can say no. You cannot reaload this, you can't just move forward four pages until the next waifu stumbles her breasts into the hero's face, there's just no free girlfriends.

But that is what life should be like. Life OWES them to give that to them. They've been conditioned since childhood to expect the girlfriend as the reward for the everyman. And if they are owed that, but don't get it, what can follow but resentment?

Peter Griffin gets Lois. Homer gets Marge. Both thin, both pretty. Where are the overweight women in media? Two thirds of american adult women are overweight or obese today. Two thirds! That's a big number. How many are overweight in tv shows or news programs? I guarantee you it's not two thirds.

Do you think those incels would lower their standards to more realistic levels? Fuck no. Like most men, they want a "Stacy". A woman that is thin and pretty-faced. This leave most men competing over 30% of women, while mostly ignoring the rest (ask any overweight woman who got fit and they will tell you it's like they were invisible until they did. In our parents generation, this figure was closer to 70%.

So these incels who are already at a huge disadvantage because their have shitty personalities now have to compete way harder than their parents did. Of course the failure rate is high. Of course they are bitter. Most men lower their expectations gradually and do end up in relationships. The difference is those normal men are aware that they are not God's gift to women and don't externalize their bitterness.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
just for completion sake, what is a High-rise dwelling, attractive, misogynist called?

I see the point you are making and I agree that there is an equivalence there that is just as bad or worse in some cases. You can simplify it to misogyny and narcism in both cases. The thing is that, most incels actually identify themselves incels as a moniker and have rallied around the term. Most "high-rise dwelling, attractive, misogynists" have yet to join forces to impact society yet... well accept for those that may likely be involved with the Alt Right.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Shaun has an absolutely fantastic video on this called 'The fate of the Frogmen.'

Covers it from Gamergate to Trump.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I can never get over how much YouTube encourages the radicalization we're seeing. Every time YouTube suggests something even remotely political it is some far right schill. It often feels like no matter what the topic, YouTube thinks there's a far-right skeptic for you.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't spend much of my teens on 4chan, but I did spend much of it on older forums being an absolute asshole to other people I didn't know. And from what I have seen, that's not that uncommon. The internet provides a really unhealthy outlet for teenage angst.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017

Telling someone about how good they have it when they are miserable never works

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always saw it as a reaction to some people not being able to "get it" in terms of life because of a warped perception of how things work, so you get frustrated because it seems like everyone but you is able to make things work and you become shitty while other shitty people cheer you on to validate your belief that this is the true way, and you start thinking that if that's what life is then you may as well burn it all down. I assumed this happens to white guys more because they're more likely to be built up to believe in inherent superiority, and now that people are shouting them down with the reality that this isn't how things should work, the frustration builds faster.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember some of the threads in the old forum with people not sure of how to act in mundane social interactions like talking to a female cashier

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agreed with everything you said until this. This idea, I believe, is partly to blame why Elliot Rodgers and his goons are faced with existential frustration. They think by being a young, white, decent looking heterosexual male, that others should be throwing themselves at their feet. When faced with a different reality, the cognitive dissonance kicks in; it can't be me, it must be them..

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
My kid is in elemetary school. One rule they have.

If you have a birthday party, and hand out invites AT SCHOOL, everyone in the class has to get an invitation. Otherwise, don't hand them out.

Such a thing absolutely didn't exist when I was growing up.

Edit:I hate typing on resetera on the phone.

I wonder if they still let kids pass out Valentines day cards to their classmates (of their choosing) because that could be brutal for some kids if you were actually paying attention.

I took notice of that shit and would just make sure everyone got a card.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018

This was a good read. Seriously, thanks for sharing your testimony.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing that bothers me the most: women have been bullied as kids, had shitty home lives or can be very socially awkward. They have economic stress too. And still, 90% of violent crime worldwide (so not just North America and caucasians) is committed by men. This problem is, fundamentally, way deeper than just internet radicalization. Obviously not all men are violent criminals, but almost all violent criminals are men. Worth thinking about.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they still let kids pass out Valentines day cards to their classmates (of their choosing) because that could be brutal for some kids if you were actually paying attention.

I took notice of that shit and would just make sure everyone got a card.
Hmmm. I actually don't think they pass out cards! I was really surprised about this

I remember giving a girl two valentine's cards while I was in Kindergarden.

"Miss, he gave me two cards!"

I felt accomplished. Not sure if she cared. LoL. But I got a reaction.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Here's the thing that bothers me the most: women have been bullied as kids, had shitty home lives or can be very socially awkward. They have economic stress too. And still, 90% of violent crime worldwide (so not just North America and caucasians) is committed by men. This problem is, fundamentally, way deeper than just internet radicalization. Obviously not all men are violent criminals, but almost all violent criminals are men. Worth thinking about.
Of course. Traditional/patriarchal masculinity uses violence as a tool and glorifies it. When we talk of radicalization, most of the time there is a component of toxic masculinity in there.
That said, violent crime and violent crime born out of radicalization are not the same thing.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
These types existed before, but they were lonely losers that would maybe find a handful of other losers to commiserate with. They had no power because they were effectively loners with a very small sphere of influence. The internet and social media democratized the power structure somewhat. The internet has provided these people the ability to acquire the strength of numbers, and social media allows them to broadcast their bullshit far and wide. These types aren't new. What's new is that they are no longer powerless.

Very important point. The internet in the 90s was a huge jump for people liable to do this to find each other, and social media made much easier for that message to find them.

I can never get over how much YouTube encourages the radicalization we're seeing. Every time YouTube suggests something even remotely political it is some far right schill. It often feels like no matter what the topic, YouTube thinks there's a far-right skeptic for you.

And not a damn fool at Google thought "oh! someone with enough skill, determination, sociopathy, and cash can game our precious algortithms to spew extremist hatred either for an ulterior motive or for its own sake! We better change that!"

Facebook, to me after seeing these well-researched exposes and testimonies before legislatures, seems to see that as a feature not a bug though...

Telling someone about how good they have it when they are miserable never works

Never liked that term. Felt like "shut up your problems dont matter" or some kind of payback instead of something like "imagine how worse others have it" to build empathy and expectations for themselves reguarding minorities/women/LBGT/etc, and the parallels in our sufferings. It's especially critical with these people who ain't fell into the abyss that people they run into wont abandon them to the only ones who will offer them comraderie (even if its militant incelism, bigotry, and nihilism).