• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So maybe the game is just not for you? Some love unlocking characters some don't. Ultimate is a game for people who like progression/unlocking characters in a fighting game.
LMAO! It's not though. Smash is a game for people who want to play whichever way they want, be it competitively by testing out characters and playing more seriously with their friends, or casually for fun with items on and all hazards on.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's much more fun when you gradually unlock the roster. Even if all the characters are known, seeing which one will come up next and getting to play a few matches with them is a nice surprise, especially when switching back and forth between World of Light and multiplayer. I agree that should be an option for people who don't want to go through with it,.

I'm really surprised how many people in this thread are having trouble beating the AI challengers, though. Compared to World of Light matches the challengers are fairly straightforward.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
A cheat code would completely suck the joy out of the process and take away some of the satisfaction from those who did it the old-fashioned way
Separate mode where everyone is unlocked, but still have to be unlocked for single player, or a cheat code that only temporarily enables everything unlocked until game is rebooted. Pretty simple.

So maybe the game is just not for you? Some love unlocking characters some don't. Ultimate is a game for people who like progression/unlocking characters in a fighting game.

My bad, guess we really bought Super Unlocking Simulator Ultimate.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Guess smash should be 50% pokemon then

pokemon representation in smash already had a special class all for itself...there's items (generic description), there's assist trophies (generic descriptions) and then there's pokeballs & the pokemons.

The problem with fire emblem characters is..........very few people other than the FE diehards knew who those sword wielding guys were...they all kinda blend together.........wearing some sort of blue outfit doing sword slash moves.

are there no FE characters not wearing blue?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's Sunday, and I'm only lacking about 3 characters. Though I understand the frustrations, I think it was a pretty good compromise. I wanted to unlock as many as possible before throwing a Smash party, and buying the game on Thursday night -- while still having a pretty busy few days -- I was able to get up to a 50+ roster by Saturday night, and it was pretty fun seeing new ones pop up throughout the party, with various people taking them on. Since the Switch is portable, it was easy to pop in between my errands and get an unlock, maybe a rematch. It's not perfect, but the system as it is does a decent job replicating the excitement of unlocking such a huge roster without the need of going through requirements that, previously, could get pretty ridiculous.

One thing's for sure, though: I'm glad to hear that other people think the challengers are surprisingly hard to beat, because I was starting to think I just really sucked at Smash Bros. all of the sudden.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
I like the unlocks, though I understand that some people would prefer to not have to. You're probably going to play this game for months (years?) though, so are the first 12 hours or so that big of a deal? =)

Also - why is it a pain for tournaments? Are tournaments not filled with people that have all characters unlocked?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I kind of agree they could have perfectly well relegated character unlocking to World of Light. The thing is that with so many characters to unlock, each individual one feels far less significant, too. Unlocking secret characters in other games felt special because they were, well, secret (non-default) characters. Here, they're just... characters.

That said, your worry that someone may not be able to defeat the fighters to unlock them, is mitigated by the fact their equivalent World of Light fight is far easier; you can brute force it with spirits, retry as many times as you want with no penalty, and it takes place on the battlefield version of their stage which is often simpler and easier to deal with.

It's still going to be a huge problem for tournaments indeed. Nintendo should offer to register as a tournament organized and allow to unlock everyone somehow.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the unlocks, though I understand that some people would prefer to not have to. You're probably going to play this game for months (years?) though, so are the first 12 hours or so that big of a deal? =)

Also - why is it a pain for tournaments? Are tournaments not filled with people that have all characters unlocked?

I am not a TO or even someone that has participated in any noteworthy tournies but I'd bet if you're putting on an event where you've booked a venue and have collected significant entry fees you're not putting yourself in a position where you're relying on your entrants to bring the stuff you need to run the tournament.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
I just got done with a 4 hour session of 1v1 matches with my friend and I already had about 30-ish characters unlocked before he came over but after he's left now I still have almost 10 characters left to unlock... Some consisting of characters I really, really want to play such as Wolf, Snake, Incineroar, Ganondorf (it blows my mind I still do not have a MELEE CHARACTER), Dark Samus, and Ken. It's bonkers that we couldn't finish getting the rest of the characters in those 4 hours of 1v1 matches without quitting out of the game and going back in. We didn't even unlock his characters he wanted to play until like, 2 or 3 hours into the session (DDD, Ridley, and Wario).

That's just ridiculous. The 10 minute cooldown just exacerbates the issue and quitting out to bypass it still takes and adds time to do. That is an arbitrary addition to this game that wasn't present in the previous games.

In general, though, I'm not a fan of unlocking all these characters. Unlocking some is fine, but 66 characters is overkill.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like this method of unlocking characters. It's really fun to just play with friends and when a challenger appears, the winner of that round becomes the "chosen one" to unlock that character for the party. And of course we root for that guy and give him crap if he loses.

I can see why people who are trying to unlock everyone as quickly as possible would find the process tedious, though. I just look at the character unlocks as a cool bonus rather than something I have to do before I can start enjoying the game.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see the problem with it. I spent 3-4 hours playing the game and unlocked more than half of the roster. If you reset your game after every new challenger fight it'll be even fast but I don't see the point to it. I will say that King Dedede in Fountain of Dream can fuck right off, fought him like 4 times before I beat him.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is it overkill? The franchise is ancient with a ton of games. If anything there should be more fire emblem characters of the different classes in the series

There are 6 Zelda characters are 3 of them are link :P

I agree that 3 links is overkill too. I'd rather have a much bigger variety than so much representation from one franchise.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't be oppsed to a tournament mode cheat code that temporarily unlocks all the characters. Otherwise, the unlocks in Smash Ultimate are perfectly fine.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's fine if you mostly play the game for the single player, but if you wanna play with friends or online it's a pain in the ass. I was trying the game out at a friend's because I don't have a Switch and I was annoyed that I was limited to only a few characters, many of whom didn't interest me.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I loved the unlocking so much that I refused to get any new characters in WoL until I first unlocked them through Classic/Vs. That way I get to unlock everyone twice! I completed the CSS a few hours ago. It was very satisfying.

It's bizarre to me that some people only enjoy playing one or two characters across the entirety of Ultimate's varied and engaging cast. So many fighters have something unique and worthwhile to offer (including the original 8) that I can't even conceptualize someone being angry and miserable by needing to play as someone other than their main for a couple hours... especially in a game like this that is destined to become a go-to staple for years to come. That perspective is just so far out of my wheelhouse that I can't even begin to relate.

And for those who wanted to play as specific characters with friends this weekend, can't you just... ya know... hang out and play Smash again with your crew in the weeks and months (and years) ahead? It's not like the past three days were your only chance to play a Ken v. Duck Hunt match (or whoever you're into).

I don't pay much attention to other fighting games, but with the Smash series specifically, I don't ever recall seeing any sort of backlash or anger over unlockable characters. Every entry has had them, so I find it pretty wild that it's becoming such a big issue with Ultimate.

Anyway, I do hope those of you who aren't enjoying the game because of this are able to make peace with it and start having fun. It's too good of a game for you all to give up on!
Let me explain to you why there's backlash towards the idea of unlockable characters, especially to this degree, in Smash Ultimate.
  • Tournament organizers have to set up hundreds of Switches for their venues. Imagine having to go spend 2+ hours per Switch unlocking every character in the roster.
  • From the perspective of the player, a good number of competitive players just want to get in & practice their main for an upcoming tournament. It's kinda hard to do that when their main is one of the unlockable characters, which is likely given that there's only 8 from the get-go.
  • Using your party example, who's to say that the group will be able to assemble again in the near future. What if they get sick of Smash by that point?
It's stuff like those bullet points, more so the first two (though the third one would apply in a more generic sense), that led most fighting games to do away with unlockable characters in their own entries. Hell, DBFZ already got some backlash for making SSJB Goku, SSJB Vegeta, & Android 21 unlockable (though the former 2 can be unlocked early via pre-ordering & Android 21 can be unlocked early via the FighterZ Pass). And to be honest, the fact that we have to unlock so many is my 2nd biggest disappointment about an otherwise-great game (the first being the subpar netcode & online offerings). The sad part is that this could easily be fixed with a Tournament Mode secret code (like ARMS) or just bundling an optional unlock key with the Fighters Pass (like DBFZ, as per the Android 21 early unlock example).

Take me for example, I already had to go through the unlock process for everyone in the cast.....twice, & that was just for the accounts of myself & my little brother. That's time I could have been spending practicing my characters & getting better at the game rather than trying to cheese the CPU. Imagine what I'll have to go through for setting up the other Switches. And I'm small-time when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I love it! One of my biggest hopes before they announced this game was that you would only start with the original 8, and i'm so glad they did it!

Maybe they should have included some cheat code that would give you all the characters, but disable stats and online play for that session. That would be nice for tournaments.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly like the pace and process of unlocking fighters in Ultimate, but the difficulty of some of the challengers is way too high. It's something I've decided to take my time with though; I'm sure I'll have all the fighters soon enough.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
There probably is a way to unlock the whole roster, it's probably just not public knowledge. I don't think it should be either, event organizers can use it, regular players can just play the game.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the amiibos could unlock characters, I'm irritated that i still haven't unlocked my boy luigi

Honestly, I think the outrage would be way higher if you could. People would say Nintendo is charging $13-16 per character to unlock them early.

I love the unlocking. I wish they weren't all just tied to how many matches you play. I loved how it was in melee where you could get the most either by playing x number of matches or through a specific condition. But I'm also enjoying just seeing who comes next and rolling my eyes at yet another fucking fire emblem character, lol.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
No like a code, I just don't think the way they have it is the ideal way for everyone and they should provide options and even if they did sell an unlock key I don't think that's a bad thing either many game have and it doesn't hurt them.

There's no way to satisfy both camps, unfortunately. If there was a code you could choose to use or not, that creates a huge advantage to the people online who use that who get to unlock the characters all at once.

I think what they chose to do is the best option. Smash 4 was for the people who don't like unlocking, and ultimate is for those who do. That's the fairest way, really.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to satisfy both camps, unfortunately. If there was a code you could choose to use or not, that creates a huge advantage to the people online who use that who get to unlock the characters all at once.

I think what they chose to do is the best option. Smash 4 was for the people who don't like unlocking, and ultimate is for those who do. That's the fairest way, really.
It's not the best option, they went about it the wrong way imo more options to unlock is the ideal thing and giving an advantage to people online doesn't matter at all. The online seems like an afterthought anyway.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
How was Smash 4 for people who didn't like unlocking.
You still had to unlock crap.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
If I wasn't convinced to get the game this would have probably pulled me over the fence. I have already put 20 hours into the game with online only being an hour of that. Had lots of fun with that as well

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess smash should be 50% pokemon then
The problem with the fire emblem representation is from the outside they all look like the same damn character. Fire Emblem is a game with a lot more than 'dude with a sword' characters, yet that's all they put in besides Robin.

Imagine if instead of just Ryu and Ken (Who as an echo fighter makes sense) they also decided to add more SF characters and did Dan, Evil Ryu, Akuma. Shin Akuma. Maybe Sagat for some slight variety. It's the variety that makes people hate all the FE characters

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked my last fighter yesterday at about 9 PM. So a little under two days. My method was Classic Mode with a different fighter every time or to do a VS match every 10 minutes with a fighter I know how to play whenever I had my switch with me. As in I'd just be doing something or playing a different game and when 10 minutes or so passed by I'd do a 1 stock VS match. Wasn't that hard and very enjoyable, all in all I think I had to redo about 7 or 8 fights.

Sep 12, 2018
i think starting with 8 was a bit excessive but the concept is something that needs to come back imo. playing the game a lot to unlock all the fighters is way more of an incentive for me than a half-assed story mode or something

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You know. I was kind of annoyed at first too. But between 1 stock unlocking and World of Light I'm actually learning how to play with a lot of different characters and having fun in the process.

But to me Smash is more of a casual/coop experience over a competitive one so I understand why it might annoy others

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm enjoying my time with it so far, unlocking the characters through CPU fights and the World of Light mode. Think it's great there's such a huge roster to strive to get, though a temporary unlock for tournaments is something that I can see being useful.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having all this stuff to unlock as I play this game is half the reason I decided to give it a chance if I'm being honest. The spirits adventure mode is a fun little campaign. I don't give a crap about playing online though so being able to use "my main" bears no weight because I don't really have one ? I mean it's smash bros. It's natural form is wacky stages , items on , people just picking whoever they want and having fun. If you unlock stuff every time you turn it on there's more incentive to play it daily AND every time you turn it on "hey something cool opened up". I think that's fantastic !

Complaining about it reminds me of folks that play 100 hours of a new MMO in 5 days and then complain "there's nothing to do because there's no end game". In this case , it's the opposite. You don't want to play those 100 hours and just want the end game but then you wouldn't constantly be unlocking stuff. I suppose Nintendo could have put a way to accelerate the process, maybe like challenging a test. "oh you want Bayonetta now instead of 10 hours from now ? okay you can fight her ahead of schedule for 1000 soil tokens (or whatever) but she's set to the max AI difficulty and if you fail you have to wait either 10 minutes or until the next game boot up to try again. Maybe they could have put an option in there to change the order in which new challengers show up ? like , chronological , random , specific games first, specific smash games first, brand new characters first, etc.

I just really don't have an issue with it. It's giving me a reason to turn the game on tomorrow now. I mean, with Mario Kart 8 deluxe I've barely felt the need to load it up because all the courses are unlocked from the second you turn the game on. I actually would have preferred to lock everything up like it was in standard MK8. The only time that game gets played now is when I want to play multiplayer with friends.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Barely anything, the bulk of the roster was there from the start.
That sounds like a dream, shame I didn't have a Wii U.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded newcomers and echo fighters to be unlockable. 66 characters though? Fuck that shit. Someone in my local Pokémon Go WhatsApp group actually said "Why do you want to unlock them so fast? Why the need to complete the game so quickly?". There are people who believe unlocking all characters is completing the game lol... I have not enough hands for a facepalm.