• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 174 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 653 79.0%

• Total voters

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
$60 for the game.
$30 for the expansion.
$16 for global trading and storage service. (yearly)
$20 for online play. (yearly)

Total of $126, compared to $80 from past generations (vanilla plus third version).

And if you pay $126 you are still not getting the whole thing. There are still missing features and Pokemons from past games.

I was planning to get Sword/Shield when the full DLC drops, but when you put all those prices down on paper you have to question yourself: is Pokemon in its current state worth all that money?

I'm inclined to say no. What says ERA?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly no. It's not what we were promised, and frankly I'd rather give my money to someone else who won't backtrack every word they say. Because who know what else their gonna screw up with the DLC. (probably dlc gate some random stuff)

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
You only have to pay 60 bucks for the Pokemon experience. All those other things are optional and not necessary for completing Pokedex, aside from Nintendo Switch Online

Blue Hedgehog

Mar 7, 2018
If you're only planning on playing Sword/Shield then you don't really need Home because you're not gonna be collecting Pokemon that aren't in Sword/Shield

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a very casual pokemon games player but isn't missing features a thing for every new gen? It seems like there's always new features but some old ones from previous gens will get dropped.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I had plenty of fun with Sword for $54. I don't feel like I didn't get "the Pokemon experience".

Edit: Got the price wrong.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I mean, Pokémon isn't multiplatform, so you have to buy a Switch too; make it $426

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Noooo, the full experience is the $60 game. Everything else isn't required. Only get HOME if you want some past Pokémon back or breed A LOT. The base game has 960 slots to work with.
Do we take into account Xbox live or PS+ for the "full cost" of any game? Cause if we did then every online game on those platforms cost $120.
You only have to pay 60 bucks for the Pokemon experience. All those other things are optional and not necessary for completing Pokedex, aside from Nintendo Switch Online
Global trading is actually free when you use the GTS via HOME as it shouldn't require Nintendo Online. You can just request the stuff you need now.

Last edited:

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget the Switch. and the electric bill to charge the switch. and the house to keep the electricity in.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You pay for the game then for the DLC expansion like any other game does? Seems cheaper than buying the Ultra/Third version to get the "full experience"

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Nah, what's more outrageous is charging 60$ for games that have less content then the 40$ Pokémon games on the 3ds.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Shield was legitimately one of the worst games I've ever played, but this is a silly thread.

Everything you posted, short of Home, is completely normal for games these days. If you want to complain about the price of Home, then do that.

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
DmvtICHU0AExQd9.jpg

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
What does global trading and storage do and why do I need it? I traded with some friends online. I also have done surprise trades (got Rowlet today)

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
If you're adding the cost of online into the mix, then aren't all PS4/Xbox One games with online $120+DLC?

EDIT: And with previous games having a third version, wasn't it $80 for the game plus third version VS $90 for Sw/Sh and the expansion? That's like a 15% increase, which is pretty reasonable considering the move from portable to home console.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Considering that they let you keep pokemon that are over 18 years old i can see why they do it, that doesn't come cheap,

Also what is with people only complaining about the NSO when Pokemon is involved, you don't see it when talking about Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon

Jan 16, 2019
What is "Pokemon experience?
I have playing the Pokemon for over 20 years, with SwSh, I only bought for the core game (haven't purchased the DLC yet) but I still can get all Pokemon in the game dex, play it like the old one.

And FYI, Home have a free plan, so you don't need to pay for it if you don't really need. So that was optional.

beside, you pay online to play multiple games, not just Pokemon (why would you do that??)

Derenden

Oct 30, 2017
As it's been said, the full experience is only $60 (less if you buy it used or in a sale)

The rest is completely optional
0Fd01O1_d.jpg

Edit: damnn, beaten hahaha

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
$60 for the game.
$30 for the expansion.
$16 for global trading and storage service. (yearly)
$20 for online play. (yearly)

Total of $126, compared to $80 from past generations (vanilla plus third version).

And if you pay $126 you are still not getting the whole thing. There are still missing features and Pokemons from past games.

This feels a tad disingenuous.

If the old games were priced the same as Sword/Shield, that would be $120 before tax on two games ($180 if you wanted all three). Not even counting the expense if you were getting multiple GBs/GBAs/DSes/3DSes for the purpose of trading, and Link Cables for the older handhelds.

The online cost applies to the whole system's online. Odds are quite high if you've bought the Switch and some games, you were going to get the online anyways, not as a Pokemon-exclusive expense.

The DLC is entirely optional to get Pokemon, all you need is the free update to trade.

Hell, I haven't seen anything about losing Pokemon from Home if you aren't subbed, so what's stopping someone from just doing a one month go at $3, trading everything to Home, and letting it lapse until it's needed to add more Pokemon?

Nah, what's more outrageous is charging 60$ for games that have less content then the 40$ Pokémon games on the 3ds.

Nintendo charges full price for their first party titles and Switch games are $60. They were never going to charge $40 for a Switch Pokemon game under any circumstance.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The worst thing about those prices is that Pokemon Home isn't included within the Nintendo Online service.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Main game + Expansion (better than a third version for full price) + Pokemon Showdown is all you need.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How many generations of Pokemon games have you bought to this point, OP?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
That's "A Pokemon experience", not "The Pokemon experience."

I imagine most Pokemon players just want a campaign to play through and maybe trade and battle their friends, and that's "the Pokemon experience" to them.

Paid online always sucks, but including the NSO price is a bit weird, unless Pokemon is the only game on Switch you play online. Expansion passes are for people who want more like any other game with add on content. The base game is still a full Pokemon game. Now if they still come out with a 3rd version despite the expansion pass, that'll seem pretty lame.

For the people that want all that, it's pretty expensive I'll agree. Home is personally too pricy for me for what it does so I have no intention of paying that.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
go back to your old thread op lol
www.resetera.com

Fire Emblem Three Houses is a remarkable achievement

I'm in awe with this game. Character models are fully animated and they look so good. IS did an amazing job at bringing FE characters to life, wow. Quality voice action for pretty much every interaction? Yes. A full 3D map for you to explore and interact with, everything is very fluid and...

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You can do this with like... any game, you know.

Monster Hunter World's "full experience" is $60 base game + $40 expansion + $60 PS+ = $160
Super Smash Bros Ultimate's "full experience" is $60 base game + $30 for Fighter Pass 1 + $30 for Fighter Pass 2 + $20 for Switch Online = $140
and so on

First off attributing an entire online service to a single game is a bit disingenuous, as if you literally play any other game online or like, I dunno, download the NES/SNES games or use cloud saves or whatever that's just completely false. If you wanted to be technical you'd take the number of features/games you use the service with and divide it up, but that makes the total a bit lower, which doesn't work with your ill-advised point.

Second off, Home is not required if you're only playing Sword/Shield. So if you have other games from the Pokemon series to transfer up to Home, are you going to add in those game costs as well? Turns out for the full FULL experience you need about seven generations of games I guess so that price skyrocketed real quick.

Finally:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You can do this with like... any game, you know.

Monster Hunter World's "full experience" is $60 base game + $40 expansion + $60 PS+ = $160
Super Smash Bros Ultimate's "full experience" is $60 base game + $30 for Fighter Pass 1 + $30 for Fighter Pass 2 + $20 for Switch Online = $140
and so on

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense. Like Ace Combat 7 was 60, +40 dollar season pass and also PS+ is 160 for the "ace combat experience"

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Hell no. If Sword and Shield were any good, then paying that much money might have been tolerable, but definitely not with Sword and Shield as they are now.