• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 174 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 653 79.0%

• Total voters

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
It's disingenuous to count NSO.

That being said, I don't believe Pokemon is worth $106 + tax, no.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was it worth it to you back in the day to buy a third version of the same game with a different ending for a new legendary that you'd never use competitively and then drive out to your local Gamestop/Best Buy/whatever to go get a secret gift item that would unlock an encounter that already existed on your game but was locked out?

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been really into Pokemon since Crystal but don't you think using the DLC and online sub is disingenuous? Or can we say all games on PS4 and Xbox cost around $150?

I played SS and felt it met it's conclusion. I'm also not going around trying to catch every Pokemon and never have.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Was it worth it to you back in the day to buy a third version of the same game with a different ending for a new legendary that you'd never use competitively and then drive out to your local Gamestop/Best Buy/whatever to go get a secret gift item that would unlock an encounter that already existed on your game but was locked out?

No it wasn't. It has and always will be bullshit. SPECIALLY the "Two versions" crap they do. Believe me as a Latin American the amount of "event" content missed for not being lucky enough to live in the USA always pissed me off

I think part of what shielded GF from the heat was not being on consoles, as you know, Pokemon was probably the best possible portable experience and it always offered an insane amount of content for a portable game.

But now that its on consoles and people start to hold it to that standard,we're finally having a conversation on Gamefreak's absolutely horrible models and there's been an incessant effort to shut it down.

I don't it think it will happen. I think it will get worse as cut content and monetization practices become more prevalent in Pokemon games.

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Yes and no, the 60€ experience is good enough for casual players who finish the campaign and move on to the next game, not good enough for the veterans who found the game lacking and can feel like the dlc is basically selling them the postgame, on the other hand vgc players are happy because the meta has been great so far (but even faster ways to build a team would be welcome, maybe with the dlcs?).
Frankly GF needs to be given more time to work on the games, the schedule is too tight.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No it wasn't. It has and always will be bullshit. SPECIALLY the "Two versions" crap they do. Believe me as a Latin American the amount of "event" content missed for not being lucky enough to live in the USA always pissed me off

I think part of what shielded GF from the heat was not being on consoles, as you know, Pokemon was probably the best possible portable experience and it always offered an insane amount of content for a portable game.

But now that its on consoles and people start to hold it to that standard,we're finally having a conversation on Gamefreak's absolutely horrible models and there's been an incessant effort to shut it down.

I don't it think it will happen. I think it will get worse as cut content and monetization practices become more prevalent in Pokemon games.
I live in the US and 9 times out of 10 the conversation was "there's an event for a legendary? It was 2 weeks ago? FUCK"

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
An external piece of cross-generation poke-hoard management software isn't a part of the game itself. I'm not mad at it because previous generations have had much more infuriating transfer mechanisms for anything i wanted to pass forward. I don't really feel like people who ignore home are missing out

I'm not gonna count NSO because i have been paying for it for smash and splatoon already. If i count that towards the cost of Pokemon i might as well count the cost i the entire switch.

The fairness of 60 dollars for the game/30 for the expansion is more a regular old argument about game quality. I do agree that the design strategy of "we're terrified that people will play phone games instead" has made the games simpler and lamer, but i still feel like I've got a fair amount of game out of shield.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Posts about how it's actually much cheaper if you have a family who like Pokémon since you don't have to buy multiple copies of the games.

*crickets chirping*

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I already said including the price of NSO was silly lol
Sorry! Long morning, misread your post! Edited, whoops!

What I should have said was:

Previously, you would have paid:
$39.99 for Pokemon Shield/Sword
$39.99 for Pokemon Shield+/Sword+
for a price of $80.

Now you pay
$59.99 for Pokemon Shield/Sword
$29.99 for the Expansion Pass
for a price of $90.

A $10 increase as the game moves from purely handheld to console/handheld doesn't seem wild. And if you want to include Pokémon Bank/Home, I would include it in BOTH scenarios because either way you were going to need to to transfer from 3DS <—> Switch, right?

What am I missing?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry! Long morning, misread your post! Edited, whoops!

What I should have said was:

Previously, you would have paid:
$39.99 for Pokemon Shield/Sword
$39.99 for Pokemon Shield+/Sword+
for a price of $80.

Now you pay
$59.99 for Pokemon Shield/Sword
$29.99 for the Expansion Pass
for a price of $90.

A $10 increase as the game moves from purely handheld to console/handheld doesn't seem wild. And if you want to include Pokémon Bank/Home, I would include it in BOTH scenarios because either way you were going to need to to transfer from 3DS <—> Switch, right?

What am I missing?
Previously you only had to sub to Bank long enough to move them all into the new game. Now you are prevented from ever moving some in, meaning you have to keep the subscription in perpetuity and now it costs 3x as much or whatever.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Previously you only had to sub to Bank long enough to move them all into the new game. Now you are prevented from ever moving some in, meaning you have to keep the subscription in perpetuity and now it costs 3x as much or whatever.
You can pick and choose what you send from Bank to Home. Someone who doesn't want to make longterm-use of Home could easily just leave their Pokemon in a 3DS game and only transfer the ones supported by Sword/Shield.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you are counting the online subscription, then the same argument can be made for every console game.

The expansion argument isn't sound because then you would have to include DLC for any game when talking about the "full experience".

I will concede the cost of Pokémon Home is too much.

Cmdr Krunch

Aug 17, 2019
Canada
No it's absolutely not worth it. I've loved the series since the beginning and the crap GF pulled and are continuing to pull with sw/sh made me drop the series for the foreseeable future. I have always found the two versions to be BS, and it's clear that they have only stuck with it until now because they know rabid pokemon fans will blindly put down preorders for two full priced games when the only difference is a few pokemon. PLUS now with paid DLC (including cut pokemon) WHICH ALSO HAS VERSION SPECIFIC DIFFERENCES.

It's really laughable. I don't mean to insult anyone but I just don't know how someone with regular common sense would continue to put up with this? Could someone please explain why they think it would be worth it?

I've always ever only bought one version and never bothered with their time exclusive online event BS either. It's becoming harder and harder to escape that now if you want some of your favorites it seems.

In short NO. If you really want sw/sh just buy one version and maybe the dlc. Don't bother with the online BS or pokemon home, most of your old pokemon probably aren't compatible anyway.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I'm going to put in 200 plus hours into this game... I say yes.

If you are counting the online subscription, then the same argument can be made for every console game.

The expansion argument isn't sound because then you would have to include DLC for any game when talking about the "full experience".

Exactly.

Oct 28, 2017
The games are too damn easy. The franchise lost me after X/Y. I was stupid enough to buy Sun before my brain started rotting in my skull

Yokai Watch 2 was the true mvp: better monsters, better combat

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
WHICH ALSO HAS VERSION SPECIFIC DIFFERENCES.

Capslock for a unique NPC and Pokemon you can probably get through trade?
Its hard to pity someone who is spending 90 extra dollars for that difference. Its deliberately minor to give kids the impression their versions special so they trade with friends.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The games are too damn easy. The franchise lost me after X/Y. I was stupid enough to buy Sun before my brain started rotting in my skull

Yokai Watch 2 was the true mvp: better monsters, better combat
It's shame that Level5 ran the franchise into to the ground via overexposure, they in some cases were worse like when they did the third version they decided to release it only five months after the originals (and did it twice with YW2 and YW3)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Low effort trolling?? Easiest way to hunt shines and such is with people who already found them. Did you even play the game ?
Hunting shinies is not the entirety of post-game. You're being intentionally dishonest.
People don't care about shiny hunting. That is a tiny fraction of the fan base. Most people will get by doing raids with their friends, which they can do completely locally without ever having to subscribe at all.
So no, the post-game does not rely on online.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the new games sell millions already? It seems people are willing to pay

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
7 pages in and the OP hasn't even bothered to address the many points established with some of the disgenuity in his initial post. I thought Driveby threads were frowned upon?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
But I only paid $62 for the "full experience".

$60 for the game, $2 for a month of Home. Will pay for the expansion when it is released. Over 100 hours on it.

Everything outside the main game is optional and can be paid as needed. Unless you trade every day, every month. You can just pay for one month of either service, use it and that would be it.

Plus you can also share some stuff like NSO as a family member and even share digital copies, which reduces the costs some.