• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Jaffe gets some fundamental facts wrong about what people are saying. I've followed him for a while and wouldn't mind joining him on a stream. Hey Jaffe -- since you're reading this, you lemme know if you're available tomorrow.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. That is literally what Jaffe is saying. But he's stupid and it doesn't make sense. Is he worried that if bigots don't get a platform we won't know that bigots exist? I feel like we knew this prior to social media.
It's the ol' free speech argument, wherein one believes that bigots should be protected by free speech.

I'm not gonna say Jaffe is stupid for believing it (not stopping you at all from doing that), but he is certainly misguided.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It's the ol' free speech argument, wherein one believes that bigots should be protected by free speech.

I'm not gonna say Jaffe is stupid for believing it (not stopping you at all from doing that), but he is certainly misguided.

But even that argument doesn't make sense. The entire discussion is about de-platforming. The platform is a website ran by a private company.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That's what he seemingly does in his channel. Even pays 20 bucks to anyone able to convince him!
0.gif

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it Phantom Thief : in the time it takes for you to debate him and explore his shallow, absolutist view of freedom of speech you could make at least 3 new threads on Resetera, 5 maybe because the VGAs are imminent. Priorities.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But even that argument doesn't make sense. The entire discussion is about de-platforming. The platform is a website ran by a private company.
Yes, and many want bigots off the platform. He doesn't want that. He wants bigots to have a platform because he believes that it is a good thing when bigots are debated, which it is not.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
To the extent that Jaffe is including me it the collective, "we" aren't especially interested in giving Milo a platform. I expect the communities I'm a part of to do a reasonable amount of self-policing, and will gladly leave in protest when they fail to do so. Terms of service are just another form of a community establishing standards because not everything rises to the level of needing to pass a law.

When Milo willfully violates the terms of service of a community to further his agenda of harming vulnerable groups, he gets shown the door. That's pretty much the end of the story. If Jaffe thinks he has a better idea for a vibrant community that will attract people, he's welcome to start one. Based on what I've seen of his work, though, his ideas are about as deep as the average high school kid who thinks anarchy sounds cool.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
why can't jaffe sign up for a resetera account and hold a respectful discussion in this thread?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You can teach people how to deal with information that isn't legitimate without facilitating and amplifying abhorrent views. I don't see the right to speak as a right to be heard - say what you want but that doesn't mean I should hand you a megaphone.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Great, another 'let's debate basic human rights because bigotry is defensible' proponent: my favourite type of fuckwit to ignore for eternity.

Angrytomato

Banned
Nov 17, 2018
User banned (permanent): trolling
Why is this in the games section. Also the new American way is to silence people who disagree with you so lets do that.. Also how is milo alt right? Hes gay and they hate gay people. Just like when people call ben Shapiro a Nazi only to relize hes Jewish. But to each his own. We care to much about peoples opinions nowadays. People can say why they want. You dont have to listen. I see political posts on gaf and era all the time I dont agree with. I never get upset. Also iv been of the mind game designers who have influence ahould stay out of politics.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw David. I'd be more than happy to talk to you, let's do it, but I'm not going to do a stream and put myself in a format I am totally unfamiliar with for a debate. Please feel free to make an account here, and we'll chat.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this in the games section. Also the new American way is to silence people who disagree with you so lets do that.. Also how is milo alt right? Hes gay and they hate gay people. Just like when people call ben Shapiro a Nazi only to relize hes Jewish. But to each his own. We care to much about peoples opinions nowadays. People can say why they want. You dont have to listen. I see political posts on gaf and era all the time I dont agree with. I never get upset. Also iv been of the mind game designers who have influence ahould stay out of politics.

It's okay, Jaffe doesn't have any influence so he's free to speak his mind under your terms.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

watch resetera be DESTROYED in a single post

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would have done it had the government not been comprised of the same kinds of shitstains as Milo himself

I mean, you do realize that that right there is EXACTLY the reason it's a bad idea right? If one lawmaker can stop your ability to say something as hate speech, then another could come in and stop your ability to say something they don't like. It sucks but it's what a number of governments have done, if you pay attention to history. In a democracy, having people arrested with things that are not calls to action can and has resulted in horrific things.

However.

Fortunately that's not the issue here. Jaffe is mad some individual citizens decided not to use their corporate property to platform the ravings of another citizen. This is hilariously ironic because you bet he would be against a gay couple wanting a wedding cake from a bakery who didn't want to do so. It's almost like his version of who should be allowed to do as they please and express themselves as they please is hopelessly one sided lol. And he's a moron.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

He wasn't silenced for disagreeing with anyone. He was silenced for being a bigoted piece of shit. Freedom of speech doesn't pertain to private websites just like how you can't start spewing racist stuff in a classroom and not expect to get in trouble.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. This is in the game section as it is relating to a video game developer (if you aren't a fan of posts like these, I would suggest you give /r/games a shot as they take down submissions that are about people rather than games themselves)
2. Jews can hate Jews and gays can hate gays.
3. The problem with people saying what they want to is that even though I won't be listening, many other more suggestible people will be.
4. If you aren't a fan of political posts, well, hopefully that thread hider extension gets updated so you can hide threads you dislike.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw David. I'd be more than happy to talk to you, let's do it, but I'm not going to do a stream and put myself in a format I am totally unfamiliar with for a debate. Please feel free to make an account here, and we'll chat.
get one of the mods to do that thing where he has an account but is auto-ignored by every user so he just things nobody is bothering to respond

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO
Y'all ain't fucking slick

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Do you know what a model minority is? Do you know that there are always people who are part of a marginalized group who think they can be protected from bigotry by participating in it? Milo feeds into anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric because it made him a rich unicorn that thought he was protected from the fallout. Ben Sharpio feeds into fascist rhetoric because it makes him a popular "intellectual" who can rake fame and money from imbecels who can use him to say "I'm not a nazi! Ben Sharpio is Jewish and thinks the same way I do about XYZ". Dinesh D'Souza is a minority who regularly creates movies promoting administrations and movements whose ultimate goal is the oppression & elimination of anyone non-white like himself.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
why don't you do it bud

i
Because I'm not so vehemently against what he said. I'd rather hear people entirely on opposite sides to duke it out here. And even if it was something I'm passionate about, my English isn't up to par.
It's not quite that simple, that just because you belong in a minority you couldn't be a bigot. Not sure whoever came up with that idea. The topic is on gaming because David Jaffe is gaming industry figure and it doesn't hurt to expose people on gaming side to these things either tbh.