• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm not so vehemently against what he said. I'd rather hear people entirely on opposite sides to duke it out here. And even if it was something I'm passionate about, my English isn't up to par.

someone in this thread already spoke to him so if you really want to get off on hearing people "duke it out" go watch the vod

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm not so vehemently against what he said. I'd rather hear people entirely on opposite sides to duke it out here. And even if it was something I'm passionate about, my English isn't up to par.
Let him create an account here and debate it. He is not interested in debate, he is interested in promoting his podcast. He could have answered Phantom Thief's question, instead he choose to promote. He's full for shit and no one here should go on that shit podcast.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I thought he might be taking the high road up until the point in his vid where he goes "You can't say something somebody disagrees with without people treating you like you're a goddamn moron?....Sorry I had a different opinion than you did." Because that's what giving Milo a platform is, just an opinion that exists in a vacuum and has no implications as to what kind of person you are or the damage you'd inflict if your opinion became reality.

FYI the "recommended videos" when you watch that video are a doozy (inPrivate browsing). So sorry Jaffe, even if you sincerely think you're not alt-right, Youtube's algorithms have definitely decided otherwise.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought he might be taking the high road up until the point in his vid where he goes "You can't say something somebody disagrees with without people treating you like you're a goddamn moron?....Sorry I had a different opinion than you did." Because that's what giving Milo a platform is, just an opinion that exists in a vacuum and has no implications as to what kind of person you are or the damage you'd inflict if your opinion became reality.

FYI the "recommended videos" when you watch that video are a doozy (inPrivate browsing). So sorry Jaffe, even if you sincerely think you're not alt-right, Youtube's algorithms have definitely decided otherwise.

Oh wow, he's amused read this thread.

Actually, he thinks it's funny.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I guess it shows just how many "critical" thinkers exist within US of A given:

1. They elected Dolan Trump
2. They demonize socialized healthcare because among other things, the word "social-ism" is a taboo
3. Measures introduced to combat gun violence is objectively not commensurate with the continued body count racked up during gun related violence
4. They elected the man who lies every single day, berates Antifa and both sides Neo Nazi violence, is a sexist, vilifies the press with implied violence, is a racist, appeals to the baser instincts of fragile masculinity, can't form cogent sentences most of the time, tweets like an inbred duck, maligns people who are not loyal to him and cozies up to dictators and despots wanna be. All this because the people were feeling economic anxiety and because he tells it like it is.

Yes, Americans and their capacity for critical thinking in an age of over abundance of stimulating information and misinformation in the perennial torrential downpour known as social media.

It is amazing just how fast americans have moved on from the package bombs which highlighted that words have power when they reach their target audience.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yL55KAb.jpg
You may not like it, but this is what peak "open-mindedness" looks like!

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Someone should get him to debate Destiny, he's online right now and said he's willing to talk. And Jaffe seemed to indicate he's willing to debate tonight.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Naw David. I'd be more than happy to talk to you, let's do it, but I'm not going to do a stream and put myself in a format I am totally unfamiliar with for a debate. Please feel free to make an account here, and we'll chat.
The format is kind of how you do it IRL, just direct communication, it isnt that foreign a concept I hope. It certainly beats him making an account here, where he will be instantly jumped. I think you should do it, PT!

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Looks like Mr Jaffe would fit right in at the old place, I think they could really use some industry veterans there to regain some credibility.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some reading material for people not familiar with Milo (like David Jaffe):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos#Controversies
In early October 2017, BuzzFeed News published leaked email chains from Yiannopoulos' tenure at Breitbart. According to the report, Yiannopoulos and his ghostwriter Allum Bokhari regularly solicited ideas for stories and comments from people associated with the alt-right and neo-Nazi movements.[7] Among the figures Yiannopoulos contacted were Curtis Yarvin, a central figure of the neoreactionary movement; Devin Saucier, the editor of the white supremacist magazine American Renaissance; Andrew Auernheimer, the administrator of neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer; and Baked Alaska, a commentator known for his anti-Semitic and pro-Nazi tweets.[7] Yiannopoulos also was in contact and received suggestions and texts from individuals in "traditionally liberal professions" such as entertainment and media. Mitchell Sunderland from Vice News emailed Yiannopoulos a link to an article by Lindy West of The New York Times, and requested: "Please mock this fat feminist."[7][143] The report also included a video of Yiannopoulos singing "America the Beautiful" at a karaoke bar, where a crowd of neo-Nazis and white supremacists, including Saucier and Richard B. Spencer, cheered him with the Nazi sieg heil salute.[7][144]

https://mic.com/articles/188697/mil...is-privilege-charity-for-white-men#.ZL6l1nZKh
At first, Yiannopoulos claimed to have raised between $100,000 to $250,000. On Thursday, after allegedly giving away just $25,000, Yiannopoulos confirmedto NBC News that the grant fund is no more. The former website of the Privilege Grant no longer exists, and Yiannopoulos made no further announcements about what will happen to the leftover money, i.e. if he has it, or if it ever even existed.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Booo! Someone else then, any volunteers?

Probably not worth it, It's actually pretty tricky to have a discussion with people argueing in bad faith in a live format.

Nothing's stopping Jaffe from just making an account here. Well, except that people would show him up and he'd get mad, break the TOS and get banned very quickly.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the people who made the games I loved growing up would stop being dumb.

WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE HATEFUL BIGOTS?!

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's also pretty funny, because if there's something i've noticed in all of this, is that he constantly called everyone who disagreed with him on Twitter "dumb" and "dense". He hasn't bothered to actually address any points in any of his answers. Every single one of them is just him going on personal attacks.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The format is kind of how you do it IRL, just direct communication, it isnt that foreign a concept I hope. It certainly beats him making an account here, where he will be instantly jumped. I think you should do it, PT!
Having a debate on a stream, especially *his* stream, is more than just a normal conversation. There's no way PT should even consider it, it's so dumb

It's straight out of the Colin Moriarty book of how should i deal with someone who said something slightly negative of me

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
2LcXrgS.png

I shouldn't have watched that video. It's basically full of personal attacks. He doesn't even try to meaningfully address the points, but instead goes on a very personal rant.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This started as a post in the now-locked thread, so posting here instead.

This was the dumbass demanding the hate speech fucks get a giant platform right? Yeah let's go back in time and look at some history and see how that works out, shit's like a virus. But i forgot, nobody knows history anymore which is why we're repeating it with cheeto fascist wannabe in the White House.
Posts like this are why Resetera gets a bad reputation. This post is ignorant, hypocritical, and promotes nothing but negativity. The only difference is "b-b-but I'm in the right!"

You cannot sit on your ass calling people "dumbass" and "fucks" while *literally* complaining about "the other side" doing the same thing. At that point, you are no better than "them."

Who is this guy?

What games has he come out with in the past 10 years?
This, while a funny comment, is completely and utterly useless, and adds nothing to the discourse at hand. This comment might as well say "yes, but what has he contributed lately?" And what has Miyamoto contributed in that same time span? Star Fox Zero. But Miyamoto will be celebrated regardless, due to his legacy. Unless, of course, Gattsu just actually doesn't know who he is. In which case, fair question, my dude! Sorry if it seems like I came at you. <3

Ugh, even as a Jaffe fan I think that's an ignorant statement to make.
That's the problem, though. It isn't. The other Jaffe thread and this one have already had comments that could be called toxic and hateful. While his wording isn't the best, the issue is that there's a sense of "one sided-ness" to threads on the forum. Whether that's because of poor (or willfully ignorant) moderation, or just an overwhelming amount of toxicity towards certain subjects, Resetera has a major tendency to have very harsh reactions to things, both positive and negative.

I hate Milo, and I think he deserved to be de-platformed. The question is "when does this begin to interfere with freedom of speech?"

Article 19 of the UDHR states that "everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference" and "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice".
So yes, he can be de-platformed from Youtube, Twitter, whatever-- because those are private platforms. But at what point does a social and thus public platform become a platform that isn't considered private? Legally, this is a messy area and one that we've never accounted for. You can pay to run hate speech in a newspaper, but they get to turn you down because those newspapers are private platforms.

There's a lot of talk on Resetera about critical thinking, being progressive, and trying to be better as a person every day. But not a lot of y'all are doing it. Instead, you're in here, acting like this.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
That's why it's better for Destiny to debate him, because they both curse and get angry!

Then I hope this happens, someone needs to take Jaffe down a notch.

Match made in heaven.
learn to read, he clearly states that actually, it's all kind of funny.

Hey come now, I don't see where everything is stated clearly or otherwise. What post or tweet or what have you are you referring to. Telling someone to learn to read something he cannot or has not seen is low.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Hey come now, I don't see where everything is stated clearly or otherwise. What post or tweet or what have you are you referring to. Telling someone to learn to read something he cannot or has not seen is low.

Brock Reiher was just being sarcastic, because Jaffe was obviously actually pretty butthurt despite claiming he was amused.

I hate Milo, and I think he deserved to be de-platformed. The question is "when does this begin to interfere with freedom of speech?"

So yes, he can be de-platformed from Youtube, Twitter, whatever-- because those are private platforms. But at what point does a social and thus public platform become a platform that isn't considered private? Legally, this is a messy area and one that we've never accounted for. You can pay to run hate speech in a newspaper, but they get to turn you down because those newspapers are private platforms.

There's a lot of talk on Resetera about critical thinking, being progressive, and trying to be better as a person every day. But not a lot of y'all are doing it. Instead, you're in here, acting like this.

A) Definitely way past the point of Milo being kicked off of social media.

B) part of being a progressive, 'better' person is calling out people making bad arguments in bad faith.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This started as a post in the now-locked thread, so posting here instead.

Posts like this are why Resetera gets a bad reputation. This post is ignorant, hypocritical, and promotes nothing but negativity. The only difference is "b-b-but I'm in the right!"

You cannot sit on your ass calling people "dumbass" and "fucks" while *literally* complaining about "the other side" doing the same thing. At that point, you are no better than "them."

This, while a funny comment, is completely and utterly useless, and adds nothing to the discourse at hand. This comment might as well say "yes, but what has he contributed lately?" And what has Miyamoto contributed in that same time span? Star Fox Zero. But Miyamoto will be celebrated regardless, due to his legacy. Unless, of course, Gattsu just actually doesn't know who he is. In which case, fair question, my dude! Sorry if it seems like I came at you. <3

That's the problem, though. It isn't. The other Jaffe thread and this one have already had comments that could be called toxic and hateful. While his wording isn't the best, the issue is that there's a sense of "one sided-ness" to threads on the forum. Whether that's because of poor (or willfully ignorant) moderation, or just an overwhelming amount of toxicity towards certain subjects, Resetera has a major tendency to have very harsh reactions to things, both positive and negative.

did you somehow miss Jaffe going on personal attacks at literally everyone who disagreed with him on twitter? Did you bother to actually follow the situation? Dude continously refuses to address any points, the only thing he can do is insult people.
And yes Youtube and Twitter and whatever are private platforms and will always be. Forcing them to host content they dont want is actually a violation of free speech. This is not up for debate.