• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
You could upload a Gist or something and put a link to it here if you can't post it directly.

Nope, it's work related.

Ah, in that case, the problem might be best solved with the way the menu items are structured. Ideally, traversing the menu items should be relatively painless, as the hierarchy should be defined in the data structure. Although, frankly, I tend to hardcode my menus in HTML for as long as possible, and only generate them programmatically if things look too ugly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could upload a Gist or something and put a link to it here if you can't post it directly.

Ah, in that case, the problem might be best solved with the way the menu items are structured. Ideally, traversing the menu items should be relatively painless, as the hierarchy should be defined in the data structure. Although, frankly, I tend to hardcode my menus in HTML for as long as possible, and only generate them programmatically if things look too ugly.

Added pastebin link, the nav is part of a site CMS, I'd ask the guy who made it but he's long gone from the company now and sporadic at communication at best.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that's a nightmare! Honestly, I'd be tempted to rewrite it all, as it's going to get very messy! What have you got so far?

Yep, it's already getting very messy. Basically I've got it all working, the only issue is the item appears under all the parents, as you would expect from the loop because it's basically saying for each one, add this. I'm just perplexed why it doesn't do it on the code above it which works perfectly.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's already getting very messy. Basically I've got it all working, the only issue is the item appears under all the parents, as you would expect from the loop because it's basically saying for each one, add this. I'm just perplexed why it doesn't do it on the code above it which works perfectly.

The loop above is checking to see if the 'items' property of $item is empty (or doesn't exist), and if it is, it doesn't do anything. You should be checking if the 'items' property of $subitem is empty (assuming that's where you put your final sub items).

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm taking a JavaScript class and currently just using Notepad ++.

I feel like I should probably switch to either Atom or VS Code (beyond paying for Sublime)?

Copons

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom / Italy
All of these an upgrade over Notepad++?

Yeah.
Even not considering the sheer amount of built-in features they pack compared to Notepad++, as soon as you'll start using stuff like Eslint or Prettier, you'll just need (or want!) their plugins—which AFAIK don't really exist on Notepad++.

Anyways, don't just trust me: try them for a couple of weeks each; search for recommended plugins and install them.

I personally use Code, after years of jumping back and forth between Atom and Sublime.
If Code looks too barebone for you, try Atom instead. It's slower, but at least has an actual UI for most of its features. :)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I may consider seeking out a developer-focused career, despite an earlier interest in Cyber Security. The former sounds like it would be a better fit for me: less customer service-oriented, and a chance to apply a more creative spin to my work instead of just going through the motions to make sure a network is running. I still need to read up on it, but so far the field is sounding more appealing.

My question is what would be the easiest beginner material to learn, as in the stuff that I should be able to theoretically grasp the easiest before I move on to bigger and more complex skills? I would specifically like to learn anything that could land me an entry level position as soon as possible, so that I'm simultaneously building up the experience while learning. If there are any university or online course recommendations, I'd like that info as well.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What UI frameworks do ya'll use day-to-day? At my work it's Bootstrap and Kendo UI. The later is a paid suite that is useful for the sorts of data manipulation that's par for the course at work. It's much more full-featured than that but our use of it pretty much boils down to using it to display and arrange SQL results.

I'd be interested to hear anecdotally what posters here are using, either by choice or by command.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would like to know which skills I should start learning now in order to land an entry level job that leads to a development career. I've been getting some mixed opinions from folks who say that you either need to learn a couple of specific skills before applying, and others that say that there are jobs that will hire and train you on the essentials.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to ask again: of the online guides out there, which ones do you feel are the most easily accessible/easiest to understand for newbies?

Python, SQL, Java and C# seem to be the starters I should learn in order to get an entry level Programmer job. I don't want to feel overwhelmed to the point that I would quit, so whatever guides out there are the simplest to grasp, including YouTube guides, please share them with me.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would start with a good book that tackles both the basics of the language as well as important programming patterns and touches on architectural best practices a bit.

I personally liked head first c# back when I read it. Especially good if you like to learn in a visual style.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any VScode plugins available to alphabetize things like css properties or class methods? Would love to automate that and I used to use code maid for visual studio for that purpose but I'm only using it these days if I'm writing c# server code.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to ask again: of the online guides out there, which ones do you feel are the most easily accessible/easiest to understand for newbies?

Python, SQL, Java and C# seem to be the starters I should learn in order to get an entry level Programmer job. I don't want to feel overwhelmed to the point that I would quit, so whatever guides out there are the simplest to grasp, including YouTube guides, please share them with me.

Can you take any classes at a local community college or tech school or something near you? I'd look into that.

You'd be surprised to find many of them offer programming courses now.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So for anyone with good experience doing forms in rails, I could use your help.

Edit: TLDR, what I need is to make a form.select that has a dropdown of rows with the ID and Name value of my Users table, that will pass through my ID in the form for the select option they choose. I have the standard scaffold-ed crud.

So for a class project for agile development, we're creating a project that involves creating shifts for workers. I have a table with my users using the devise gem, added in some columns for what type of employee they are, name etc as well.

Anyway, effectively the process I have is someone requests help, which fills out a form with all relevant information except for the user/employee assigned to the task. Then the "Business owner" is able to finish/edit the form effectively and assign the shift to an employee. I'm trying to make it a dropdown that shows the users id and name. I can do that just fine, so I have it output all employees in a dropdown to select from and it says ID: Name. Which is exactly the format I want. Unfortunately, even though I'm setting the value to be passed, it just will not pass or save the value when I submit the form. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and I don't understand the select form options in rails well (Having a hard time finding the help I need).

Here's the section of code with a few methods I've tried, if anyone spots any crucial issues immediately.

Code:
First I tried pluck
 <%= form.label :employeeID %>
          <%= form.select :employeeID, User.where(:employee => 1).pluck(:name, :id)%>

Then I tried doing iterations
<!--<%= form.select :employeeID,
          <%= form.select(:employeeID) do %>
            <% User.where(employee: '1').each do |user| %>
              <%= content_tag(:option, "#{user.id}: #{user.name}", value: user.id) %>
            <% end %>
          <% end %>

Lastly I tried a form collection_select
<%= form.label :employeeID %>
          <%= form.collection_select :employeeID, @users.where(:employee => 1), :name, :id, :prompt => "Choose an Employee" %>

All of them give me some variations of dropdown that will work fine for my needs. The second one giving the best formatted one. However none of them passes a value when submitting. Usually the action to submit just does nothing upon submission.

Edit: Using the pluck method, if I refresh the page (on each edit submission, like every time I want to update a shift I have to refresh it manually), then click submit it works. Which leads me to believe my model/controller is the issue. But it's just the one I had scaffolded, so there's nothing there that would be causing it afaik.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I completely forgot about this thread, been busy with our website. After programming by myself two APIs in two languages, multiple services, and now working my ass off on the React frontend, weeks just go by as I'm in the flow all the days.

So I may consider seeking out a developer-focused career, despite an earlier interest in Cyber Security. The former sounds like it would be a better fit for me: less customer service-oriented, and a chance to apply a more creative spin to my work instead of just going through the motions to make sure a network is running. I still need to read up on it, but so far the field is sounding more appealing.

My question is what would be the easiest beginner material to learn, as in the stuff that I should be able to theoretically grasp the easiest before I move on to bigger and more complex skills? I would specifically like to learn anything that could land me an entry level position as soon as possible, so that I'm simultaneously building up the experience while learning. If there are any university or online course recommendations, I'd like that info as well.

I would like to know which skills I should start learning now in order to land an entry level job that leads to a development career. I've been getting some mixed opinions from folks who say that you either need to learn a couple of specific skills before applying, and others that say that there are jobs that will hire and train you on the essentials.

What I can tell you from a webdev perspective is this https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap/blob/master/README.md

Which is actually a fairly complete answer to how to become a modern web developer actually. I might not agree with all choices, but at least learning JavaScript, HTML and CSS (and applying them to Express and React) gets a lot done and fast. Then PHP is also fairly easy to approach.

I've started Javascript on Codecademy a long time ago, when they did a year challenge to learn it - now it's basically my full time job together with WordPress for legacy and business reasons. Look also up "Eloquent Javascript" on de webz. I really love ES6 and functional programming as a guy who doesn't completely get all the "classes" and OOP stuff (I know the basics, but it gets messy...)

What UI frameworks do ya'll use day-to-day? At my work it's Bootstrap and Kendo UI. The later is a paid suite that is useful for the sorts of data manipulation that's par for the course at work. It's much more full-featured than that but our use of it pretty much boils down to using it to display and arrange SQL results.

I'd be interested to hear anecdotally what posters here are using, either by choice or by command.

I was using Bootstrap for years, just moved to Tachyons. It feels less bloated to make something out of it, but when you apply too many classes at once it's a mess too. Really fast for prototyping though. I should really start composing with Sass and Tachyons at some point to make it more bearable.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God I completely forgot about this thread, been busy with our website. After programming by myself two APIs in two languages, multiple services, and now working my ass off on the React frontend, weeks just go by as I'm in the flow all the days.

What I can tell you from a webdev perspective is this https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap/blob/master/README.md

Which is actually a fairly complete answer to how to become a modern web developer actually. I might not agree with all choices, but at least learning JavaScript, HTML and CSS (and applying them to Express and React) gets a lot done and fast. Then PHP is also fairly easy to approach.

I've started Javascript on Codecademy a long time ago, when they did a year challenge to learn it - now it's basically my full time job together with WordPress for legacy and business reasons. Look also up "Eloquent Javascript" on de webz. I really love ES6 and functional programming as a guy who doesn't completely get all the "classes" and OOP stuff (I know the basics, but it gets messy...)

I was using Bootstrap for years, just moved to Tachyons. It feels less bloated to make something out of it, but when you apply too many classes at once it's a mess too. Really fast for prototyping though. I should really start composing with Sass and Tachyons at some point to make it more bearable.

Bookmarked. Thanks a lot, this looks excellent.

I don't suppose something similar exists for IT Security/Networking? I started watching Udemy courses on Security+, as it was suggested to me elsewhere to start with that plus Network+. I'm finally going to stop dilly dallying and learn the material, see if I can't earn some certs and go from there.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, let's talk svg and svg animations.

What tools do you guys recommend for working with these? What's your workflow like from prototyping to Html?

More and more of my projects are asking for vector animations and I'm pretty cluless. Last time I did anything like that was back in the days of flash.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good/definitive quickish read out there for SEO and what techniques to apply in your page? Kinda broad I know.

Also this has been driving me crazy, this font is super common but I'm blanking on its name (from Illustrator tutorials):
ohghdqN.png

xYfGg9t.png

edit: Derp, it's Futura. Specifically Futura PT Bold in those images I believe.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would anyone happen to know of any entry level job titles I could be looking at? I don't have any software or programming experience but if there are jobs that can train you on the basics I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone happen to know of any entry level job titles I could be looking at? I don't have any software or programming experience but if there are jobs that can train you on the basics I wouldn't mind taking a look.
I've seen some jobs asking only for JavaScript proficiency or similar. Depends on where you are

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Maybe pick up some experience with UI mock up software like adobe XD and INdesign.

Then start developing the mock ups into html and css. Label yourself as an entry level UI UX designer.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to dabble in web development. Learning HTML/CSS and VueJS.

I've got a Digital Ocean droplet spooled up with the MERN stack.

I've been using CodeAnywhere to do some coding during lunch at work, since I can't use any IDE's there unfortunately. So I'm just SFTPing to my box and coding in place. Not the best IDE, but it works. I've got my webpack dev server running so it's pretty easy to work in real time.

But I figure I should be using the full power of an IDE at home. Better autocomplete and boilerplate generation for Vue/Node would be pretty sweet. Looks like Webstorm and VSCode are the go-tos, and I'll likely look into VSCode for that sweet open source support. Question is, what's the best way to work? If I just git clone locally, I'll have to push changes to my server every time to test them (unless I run a local Windows MERN stack, I guess?). Is that the best way to go about things? Or is there something better I should consider? I'm not too familiar with containers and the like.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Just how exactly do people learn all these frameworks and other things (let's say angular and react as examples) to them get a job in them?

I mean do people get qualified in these at Uni/other place and then seek a job in it or are all these people just self taught then an element of blagging in the door?

For internships, in my case particularly...Having a decent programming base that I learned in university, I just look for a course in youtube/edX/Udemy, learn the new rules and try to implement them in a personal project. The personal project is super useful, you will learn as you make it with Google. Once you have a few working app/systems in said framework/language that you can show around in your portfolio it's good enough, at least for internships.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to dabble in web development. Learning HTML/CSS and VueJS.

I've got a Digital Ocean droplet spooled up with the MERN stack.

I've been using CodeAnywhere to do some coding during lunch at work, since I can't use any IDE's there unfortunately. So I'm just SFTPing to my box and coding in place. Not the best IDE, but it works. I've got my webpack dev server running so it's pretty easy to work in real time.

But I figure I should be using the full power of an IDE at home. Better autocomplete and boilerplate generation for Vue/Node would be pretty sweet. Looks like Webstorm and VSCode are the go-tos, and I'll likely look into VSCode for that sweet open source support. Question is, what's the best way to work? If I just git clone locally, I'll have to push changes to my server every time to test them (unless I run a local Windows MERN stack, I guess?). Is that the best way to go about things? Or is there something better I should consider? I'm not too familiar with containers and the like.
Check out Docker maybe? I usually work with Node apps so I can run them easy on Windows, but regardless, Docker should easily run (almost) anything anywhere

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
What are you guys doing in regards to GDPR?

I'm a one man webdev shop mostly working for small clients and the whole thing seems super confusing and cumbersome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm a one man webdev shop mostly working for small clients and the whole thing seems super confusing and cumbersome.

Tell me about it, I am trying to navigate my way through it and it's a nightmare. We have sites ranging from collecting no data to supply teacher databases and I'm trying to figure out what we have to do. It doesn't help that despite best efforts my boss has left it until now to get semi serious about it.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a pain in the ass (of course it's a good thing they're doing it, but fuck man). We've been following the thing with Iubenda. But we're also moving away completely from registration with our users, and letting Disqus deal with it. It just isn't worth dealing with it for now, and we do not need our users' data regardless

Arol

Avenger
Dec 29, 2017
Hey guys not sure if anyone can help me here but I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just a small back story to not keep it too dark. Our small office web guy quit and moved across the country. Some type of midlife crisis.

At any rate, since I took a few classes in college and talked to him the most, my boss wants me to finish the online form he never got around to.

I'm working off what he left I just need to finish it and I'm almost done with it but I just need help with one more concept if anyone can lend a hand.

So he basically has this:

<Tr>
<Td>
Number of clients
<Asp:Dropdownlist runat=server id=clients>

Then there's a drop down list using asp:ListItem up to 30

Then he basically started another row with a separate client list and it was supposed to add up the clients together and show the user the total before they submitted.

So each client was worth 100$ and from the drop down they chose 10 it would show 1000$.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Been trying to google this but no luck. Maybe if someone can point me in the right direction as well of where I could look it up?

YoungFa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys not sure if anyone can help me here but I'd greatly appreciate it.

Just a small back story to not keep it too dark. Our small office web guy quit and moved across the country. Some type of midlife crisis.

At any rate, since I took a few classes in college and talked to him the most, my boss wants me to finish the online form he never got around to.

I'm working off what he left I just need to finish it and I'm almost done with it but I just need help with one more concept if anyone can lend a hand.

So he basically has this:

<Tr>
<Td>
Number of clients
<Asp:Dropdownlist runat=server id=clients>

Then there's a drop down list using asp:ListItem up to 30

Then he basically started another row with a separate client list and it was supposed to add up the clients together and show the user the total before they submitted.

So each client was worth 100$ and from the drop down they chose 10 it would show 1000$.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Been trying to google this but no luck. Maybe if someone can point me in the right direction as well of where I could look it up?
You will need javascript for that to read out the selected value and display the calculated total. It should be 5 lines in jquery.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you tried out Gatsby?

I've built a few small sites with it lately and it's just such a pleasant experience, even without any prior React knowledge. Strongly considering doing most of my future client work with it. Just not sure what CMS solution I'll end up using.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, looking for some CSS help if possible. I'm currenly going through this tutorial https://supersarkar.com/make-hogwarts-admission-form-in-html-and-css/ and I can't get the background image to show up at all.

I have a folder on my desktop with the admission.html and style.css files saved there, along with a folder named Images with the 'hogwarts.jpg' image saved in there. I messed aroung and made sure the HTML and CSS files were linked and they are, but the I'm jus constantly left with a white background. My code is as follows.

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
</head>
<body>
<div id="hogwarts-background"></div>
</body>
</html>

CSS:
html, body {
height: 100%;
}

#hogwarts-background {
height: 100%;
background-image: url("images/hogwarts.jpg");
}

Any help as to where I'm going wrong?

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got off my butt and started looking into learning HTML. I'm using an app called SoloLearn. Not sure how it stacks up to other free learning tools out there, but it's at least basic enough for a newbie like me to understand.

I'm essentially trying to decide which career field to get into: IT Security or Web Development. I watched a video from this person, which has me leaning towards Web Development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b32lsorOF3s

I'm just wondering how much I'm going to need to learn before I can be considered "entry level". If it's significantly longer/harder to get into one career field compared to the other, then I'd probably be better off with the shorter route.

But yeah, I think I can wrap my head around coding. On the surface it's not that different from using codes in a forum like this or that, or macros in an MMORPG.

I just want to know what would be the best path for me to quickly get hired.

Deleted member 11934

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HTML isn't that hard and you won't be remembering all tags by heart anyway, just the most important ones. I sincerely don't think IT security can be an entry level thing faster than web development...

If you haven't yet, get this:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ayout_index_2_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2

It's a bit opinionated (I mean, it's really 70-80% about React, while there are worthwhile alternatives) but going from one framework to another once you know JS is not bad.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just wondering how much I'm going to need to learn before I can be considered "entry level". If it's significantly longer/harder to get into one career field compared to the other, then I'd probably be better off with the shorter route.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Once you're comfortable with HTML and CSS, specifically layout and responsive design, you can absolutely get a job as a web designer. From there, you can focus on learning the remaining part of the front-end puzzle: JavaScript. Once you're familiar with that, you're a 'real' programmer, and can go off in any direction you want - whether that's more complex front-end development with frameworks like React, or back-end development with Node.js.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HTML isn't that hard and you won't be remembering all tags by heart anyway, just the most important ones. I sincerely don't think IT security can be an entry level thing faster than web development...

If you haven't yet, get this:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...ayout_index_2_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2

It's a bit opinionated (I mean, it's really 70-80% about React, while there are worthwhile alternatives) but going from one framework to another once you know JS is not bad.

Hmm, may I ask what purpose these serve? Do they have lessons or tutorials for using the code? I think the thing that would help me best is if I could find something that offered tests/challenges and then let me know what I did right or wrong (like "build a border using this font!" or "create a poll with five choices!", stuff like that).

Also which pricing tier do you recommend?

And it's good to know I don't have to literally memorize every code, because I was getting a bit worried about that. I'm sure I can memorize the really basic ones based on muscle memory, but I don't know if a job would want you to bust out a specifically formatted website with a specific color palette in under a minute or anything like that.

Like I said, I'm gravitating a bit more to this field vs IT Security, because the latter (at least from my understanding) just makes me another maintenance guy that makes sure the lights are on. The development side sounds more like an artist where I'm requested to design something: it may be to their specifications but I'm still creating it, and that sounds more appealing to me.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Just keep doing what you're doing. Once you're comfortable with HTML and CSS, specifically layout and responsive design, you can absolutely get a job as a web designer. From there, you can focus on learning the remaining part of the front-end puzzle: JavaScript. Once you're familiar with that, you're a 'real' programmer, and can go off in any direction you want - whether that's more complex front-end development with frameworks like React, or back-end development with Node.js.
I'm kinda half way through learning CSS myself so I have some questions if you don't mind!

As far as responsive design goes, i'm just starting to touch on that but I'm a little confused. Does every element on the page need a media query or some sort of responsive part to it or can you set the main body to be responsive and everything else follows?

Also with respect to positioning, am I worthwhile learning one method (i.e. CSS Grid) rewlly well, or getting some knowledge of them all (Grid, Flex etc)?

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, may I ask what purpose these serve? Do they have lessons or tutorials for using the code? I think the thing that would help me best is if I could find something that offered tests/challenges and then let me know what I did right or wrong (like "build a border using this font!" or "create a poll with five choices!", stuff like that).

Also which pricing tier do you recommend?

And it's good to know I don't have to literally memorize every code, because I was getting a bit worried about that. I'm sure I can memorize the really basic ones based on muscle memory, but I don't know if a job would want you to bust out a specifically formatted website with a specific color palette in under a minute or anything like that.

Like I said, I'm gravitating a bit more to this field vs IT Security, because the latter (at least from my understanding) just makes me another maintenance guy that makes sure the lights are on. The development side sounds more like an artist where I'm requested to design something: it may be to their specifications but I'm still creating it, and that sounds more appealing to me.

A lot of those books will talk you through the theory as well as showing you examples and what exactly the example does.

I would buy the top tier just for getting them all. You could compliment your learning with reading these books.

Code Academy is good for doing the learning with they give you some code and say add a div with a red border and a styled list for example.

Getting started as a junior will possibly be tough, a lot of places in my experience place stupid entry requirements for juniors, they expect you to know the framework they use and have x amount of years experience in it even though it's a junior role, it can be a rough one to crack.

I'd take a look at what is hot in your area such as PHP frameworks (laravel/code igniter or WordPress) and go from there. There is also JavaScript frameworks like angular and react which will require you to learn JS and then learn the frameworks, but that can be a long term goal for you once you have a job in the industry.

I know that might seem harsh, but it's the reality of situation in my experience

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of those books will talk you through the theory as well as showing you examples and what exactly the example does.

I would buy the top tier just for getting them all. You could compliment your learning with reading these books.

Code Academy is good for doing the learning with they give you some code and say add a div with a red border and a styled list for example.

Getting started as a junior will possibly be tough, a lot of places in my experience place stupid entry requirements for juniors, they expect you to know the framework they use and have x amount of years experience in it even though it's a junior role, it can be a rough one to crack.

I'd take a look at what is hot in your area such as PHP frameworks (laravel/code igniter or WordPress) and go from there. There is also JavaScript frameworks like angular and react which will require you to learn JS and then learn the frameworks, but that can be a long term goal for you once you have a job in the industry.

I know that might seem harsh, but it's the reality of situation in my experience

Would you happen to know the common job titles for junior/entry level positions? This is all new to me, but if I punch in the local openings and see what they typically require it would give me a better idea of what I'll need under my belt for consideration.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you happen to know the common job titles for junior/entry level positions? This is all new to me, but if I punch in the local openings and see what they typically require it would give me a better idea of what I'll need under my belt for consideration.

A lot of it now will be junior front/back end developer I suspect.