• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
If you like mecha anime, the most recent Super Robot Taisen and SD Gundam G Generation games have english versions available in Asia.

Persona series is of course an obvious suggestion for you.

As far as VN type games go, I've only played Ace Attorney, and they're really good.

I recommend you give a look at Fairy Fencer F, I haven't played the Neptunia series but this is from the same devs and less "girly". Gameplay is pretty good and very fast paced, and there are a lot of dialogue with animated anime artwork.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been curious about this game due to the concept and neat pixel art. Is there any relation to the steam game Love Live the Queen? Want to know if this is the best place to start if so! :O
Hanako, the creator of Long Live the Queen, was a Princess Maker fan, frustrated by the lack of any official way to play Princess Maker in America (back in the days when the only Princess Maker you could get in America was the imported Japanese versions, and the leaked version of the failed Princess Maker 2 translation). Since she had some coding ability, she decided to try her hand at making her own version of Princess Maker, which became a game called "Cute Knight". Cute Knight was a success, so she built on her experience and eventually made Long Live the Queen, which became a HUGE success on Steam.

The Princess Maker games are all on Steam now (with sub-par translations, but at least they have translations now), due in no small part to Hanako's success with Long Live the Queen. Hanako wished she could be Princess Maker, and then Princess Maker wished it could be Hanako.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 1 and 2, if you have access to them. My favorite anime style games ever.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sakura Wars is one of those series I've been surprised for nearly a decade that it doesn't have a translation for most games in the series.

I have the same problem with a lot of Saturn RPG and/or anime games (Like the Utena game, or Tengai Makyo 4). I suspect it may be caused by the lack of popularity of the hardware in the west, and the fact we had to wait several years before having the first emulators that worked.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
But adding anime would only make it better.
fd2fced75ecc0ff579f51dac45066bc686a4147d_hq.jpg
They already did it

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
So about gay relationships in anime-esque games like these, why do straight people get to see themselves constantly represented and portrayed as normal for having sexual interests, while me and others like me are not? You have all this straight relationship wish-fulfillment stuff in games like Persona but nothing for gay people.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So about gay relationships in anime-esque games like these, why do straight people get to see themselves constantly represented and portrayed as normal for having sexual interests, while me and others like me are not? You have all this straight relationship wish-fulfillment stuff in games like Persona but nothing for gay people.
Gay content in Japanese games is either used for shitty attempts at humor (typically in the form of gay panic) only implied yet never confirmed, or put into its own specific subgenre if the gay romance is more overt.

Japan is a very conservative society, which is reflected in their media. Gay/lesbian/queer content is present in it's own niche, but generally it's not mainstream.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go out on a limb here and reccomend Ar No Surge. It's incredibly anime and I won't pretend that it's problematic elements aren't problematic (they are numerous and can get very problematic) but it managed to hook me with a 4th wall breaking twist and make me feel emotions that I didn't know a video game was able to produce. Just make sure you max out everyones (at least Ion's) genometric dive sequences if you really want to see what I mean.

__earthes_and_ionasal_kkll_preciel_surge_concerto_and_etc_drawn_by_ntny__1bba2bc39294a26f61091fc644c947d7.jpg

I would buy this so fast if it was remastered. Only on PS3/Vita for now though. :(

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Gay content in Japanese games is either used for shitty attempts at humor (typically in the form of gay panic) only implied yet never confirmed, or put into its own specific subgenre if the gay romance is more overt.

Japan is a very conservative society, which is reflected in their media. Gay/lesbian/queer content is present in it's own niche, but generally it's not mainstream.
Yeah, I like the positive themes and fantasy stylings of a lot of anime games, but dislike the lack of representation or even outright hate speech. I wish there was something like Cuphead where it uses the stylings of these games, but with all of the horrible stuff removed. Though it's admittedly a valid question as to whether aping something that has hate speech in it (i.e. old theater cartoons) and removing the hate speech still counts as bad since you owe most of your stylings to those racist cartoons. As a white man, that's something I'd be happy to get another perspective on.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like the positive themes and fantasy stylings of a lot of anime games, but dislike the lack of representation or even outright hate speech. I wish there was something like Cuphead where it uses the stylings of these games, but with all of the horrible stuff removed. Though it's admittedly a valid question as to whether aping something that has hate speech in it (i.e. old theater cartoons) and removing the hate speech still counts as bad since you owe most of your stylings to those racist cartoons. As a white man, that's something I'd be happy to get another perspective on.
Japanese games pretty much run the gamut between positive queer representation and offensive portrayals, but that's pretty true of games from any region. Some recent Japanese games that have good representation are Dragon Quest XI and The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. You might find something you like there.

Japanese media also tends to use yaoi (male homosexuality) and yuri (female homosexuality) for the enjoyment of cishet women and men, respectively. While that has changed some in recent years, yaoi/yuri media is still predominately made with a straight audience in mind.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I'd HIGHLY recommend danganronpa, it's a really unique series centered around a killing game, though to get the whole story for the series, you'd have to go DR1>DR2>DR3 Anime>DRV3. Check out 1bitheart if you're looking for something a bit more wholesome in that detective anime game type vein.

Now for more standard visual novels, I'd put my first recommendations for Clannad and Steins;Gate, depending on whether you'd want something more emotional or sci fi. Some other visual novels I'd recommend checking out are Lucy and Narcissu, which are both p cheap and short, while being self contained.

So, guys, this bundle popped up. do you guys see anything worth at all? something yourselves played that could recommend(or not)?
100% orange juice is really fun but its more of a board game, other than that most of their stuff is bullet hell. not really that 'weeb' ish

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go out on a limb here and reccomend Ar No Surge. It's incredibly anime and I won't pretend that it's problematic elements aren't problematic (they are numerous and can get very problematic) but it managed to hook me with a 4th wall breaking twist and make me feel emotions that I didn't know a video game was able to produce. Just make sure you max out everyones (at least Ion's) genometric dive sequences if you really want to see what I mean.

__earthes_and_ionasal_kkll_preciel_surge_concerto_and_etc_drawn_by_ntny__1bba2bc39294a26f61091fc644c947d7.jpg
Ah this reminds me I have a sealed PS3 copy I haven't touched because my BD drive controller chip is fucked.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Tokyo Mirage sessions out animes most of the titles in this thread and is amazing to boot.

NiceOne

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The main choices I had in mind were already mentioned (modern Persona games and Trails games), but if I had to stretch the definition of anime game. I'll recommend Phantasy Star 4.
While the tropes it has are quite different than those who'd think an average anime game would have, it honestly gives me 80/90s space sci-fi anime vibes. Plus plenty of the cutscenes are presented in some sort of anime-ish way too:
hqdefault.jpg

It kinda is old and plays like a 90s JRPG game, but it still holds pretty well imo

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Akiba's Trip is pretty amusing with all of the jokes it makes about anime & general Japanese tropes, plus some of the outfit choices are helluva amusing. It has jank for sure, but if you can get past that it's quite a ride. I'd suggest the PS4 version as that has the best performance out of the console releases.

Don't confuse it for Akiba's Beat, though, by accident. That game is utter crap and isn't worth the price even on a huge sale.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What, the OP can call themselves weeabos but I can't poke fun at the generally awful quality of anime games, especially licensed ones?

I swear anime fans have the fragilest egos, and I've been one for most of my life (including both SRW and GaoGaiGar).

Sorry just used to people on this site shittalking anime then leaving.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The main choices I had in mind were already mentioned (modern Persona games and Trails games), but if I had to stretch the definition of anime game. I'll recommend Phantasy Star 4.
While the tropes it has are quite different than those who'd think an average anime game would have, it honestly gives me 80/90s space sci-fi anime vibes. Plus plenty of the cutscenes are presented in some sort of anime-ish way too:
hqdefault.jpg

It kinda is old and plays like a 90s JRPG game, but it still holds pretty well imo

Great choice, PS4 is an amazing game, and very much anime. PS2 was my first ever JRPG but PS4 is vastly superior in every regard.

OP
OP
justiceiro

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ae, galera, apereceu esse aqui agora:

Ja tinha visto, mas fiquei com pé atrás, o que me dizem?

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Fanatical is doing a anime week.

Is the little witch academia game any good? Or any other in that list?
The LWA game I've seen is pretty weak in the gameplay department so not really recommendable.
On the other hand there seems to be a few great picks on there! The .hack GU games are pretty good mmo setting based jrpgs, which also have an anime I think. There's also tales of Vesperia which is the best game in the tales series and it has a great op as well. Lucy is another good one being a short but very bittersweet visual novel.

Edit: Forgot about Ni no Kuni, which is basically like a ghibli film in game form so very worth a try as well.

OP
OP
justiceiro

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The LWA game I've seen is pretty weak in the gameplay department so not really recommendable.
On the other hand there seems to be a few great picks on there! The .hack GU games are pretty good mmo setting based jrpgs, which also have an anime I think. There's also tales of Vesperia which is the best game in the tales series and it has a great op as well. Lucy is another good one being a short but very bittersweet visual novel.

Edit: Forgot about Ni no Kuni, which is basically like a ghibli film in game form so very worth a try as well.
Ty