• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
In the early part of the year 2020, there was a worldwide pandemic, and theaters across the globe were shut down. People were told to stay at home and avoid all large gatherings and stay at least 6 feet away from others. With no films opening in theaters, nor studios releasing box office numbers for the handful of theaters still open, there is only one thing we can do.

Theorizing that one could time travel within their own lifetime, Box Office Era stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator - and vanished.

6zfbw6.gif

They awoke to find themselves trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not their own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. Their only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from their own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only they can see and hear.

SAdkx0O.gif

And so Box Office Era finds themselves leaping from box office to box office, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that their next leap... will be the leap home.

tenor.gif

The year: 1987

Domestic Weekend Box Office:

When will things go back to normal?

a2f732588f137b6b744a633931a9049f.jpg

Ziggy says there is a 99% probability of there not being any new films opening in theaters for the next month and a half. There is also a high probability we may not get anything until middle to end of summer. So enjoy the ride.
Ziggy also says you should click the banners and charts, because hidden goodies

source.gif

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

RdNN0LC.gif

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Burglar is directed by Hugh Wilson, who of course directed Police Academy and created WKRP in Cincinnati.

I met Hugh before he passed away and can confirm he was a very nice man.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ya wanna see crazy... ILL SHOW YOU CRAZY! woop woop woop woop

Just watched Lethal Weapon last week for the first time in like 20 years, still good.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Burglar is getting lambasted by the critics for no good reason just because they aren't used to groundbreaking cinema. mark my words, 30 years from now it will be the only movie currently in theatres that will surpass the test of time

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I am so surprised how long films were in the cinema back then and how small the week to week drops were. Platoon being out for 14 weeks and still number 2 is amazing.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I am really happy to see Lethal Weapon at the top spot. I thought it was great. I loved Dream Warriors, but you just know New Line is going to make another one. If you are able to, see Hollywood Shuffle!

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am really happy to see Lethal Weapon at the top spot. I thought it was great. I loved Dream Warriors, but you just know New Line is going to make another one. If you are able to, see Hollywood Shuffle!
I made sure to include as much of the list as I could just so Hollywood Shuffle would show up. It is a great film.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Burglar was an awesome film. I should re-watch it.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone see that Lethal Weapons movie? Honestly, it wasn't nearly as good as Beverley Hills Cop. Eddie going to own the box office this year with BHCII. 300mil DOM.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You are all sleeping on Evil Dead 2 - incredible sequel, it deserves much better!
That Raimi guy is gonna go places.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
I am so surprised how long films were in the cinema back then and how small the week to week drops were. Platoon being out for 14 weeks and still number 2 is amazing.
There were probably less releases and, more importantly, there was a much bigger window from theatrical to home release. Platoon would only be released in VHS at end of October, 10 months after the theatrical release.
Nowadays, we get movies at home 3 months after it's out in the cinemas.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will lead to films being made with smaller more reasonable budgets thus margins for success will be smaller and more niche genre's have a chance to thrive at the cinema.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I want to write a book about a young criminal mastermind that's going to retire after one last heist. My friends call it an idea most Fowl but I think this has the potential to become a multiple book series and become a film someday.

What does my friend know anyway. She wants to write about a book about a young boy that learns he's a wizard and goes to a school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, that'll never catch on.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Being out for 14 weeks and only making $97 million seems unreal to me.

People were realizing that ANOES 3 was one of the greatest horror sequels ever.

Maybe we can get those totals updated for 2020 dollars?

Great idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.