• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Mister Mom will never be batman. The guy's a comedian, not a serious actor. Batman should get away from that awful campiness of the 67 show. They should adapt the more mature Alan Moore graphic novel.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing idea for the down time.

Also, because I accidently put this in the MCU thread (because I was on mobile), just want to remind everyone when we time travel back:

Dune will probably have more competition in the future. The curse continues.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
f71vxy2jh7o41.png

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty fun concept, can't wait to see what next week's box office throwback is.

First time I've ever heard of that Burglar movie though. Between that movie and The Telephone which came out the following year, I guess Goldberg was stumbling around in the dark for a while between The Color Purple and Ghost.

It's nice that MGM brought the logo back, but it really isn't the same to see it being used exclusively for low budget genre efforts these days.

I like to think that since they don't make tentpole/mid-budget films anymore, the Orion logo from the 1980s is (besides nostalgia reasons) the only logo they could afford to use. Producing a new logo or even retrieving the 1990s logo isn't in their budget. :v

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Was Dream Warriors the first to really amp up the comedic aspects of nightmare on elm street? I'm not that familiar with the franchise and can't speak to how campy it is/was out the gate.

Was Dream Warriors the first to really amp up the comedic aspects of nightmare on elm street? I'm not that familiar with the franchise and can't speak to how campy it is/was out the gate.
Dream Warriors definitely started the whole funny guy Freddy bit. The first film had him quipping a lot, yet he was depicted in a deeply dangerous and scary manner, which the first sequel maintained for the most part. Unexpectedly, Freddy wound up hitting a chord with audiences and they more or less dictated the change in direction, which led to WELCOME TO PRIME TIME, BITCH and beyond. You saw the same thing happen a year earlier with Jason on Part VI, which is where he undoubtedly became the star of the series and they adjusted accordingly there for more self-aware humor. A lot of horror films wound up going in that direction by the late 80s, largely for the sake of keeping audiences that were abandoning slashers en masse prior to Nightmare giving the genre some CPR.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Lethal Weapon was dope as shit. Mel Gibson has potential to be a god level lead actor. And seems like an aiight guy to boot, its crazy how he can play characters with so much pent up rage and not really display that in real life.....

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lethal Weapon was dope as shit. Mel Gibson has potential to be a god level lead actor. And seems like an nice guy to boot, its crazy how he can play characters with so much pent up rage and not really display that in real life.....
Had me in the first half, not gonna lie.
Was about ready to fuck your ass up.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those Dundee numbers seem kinda insane for 87, right?

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Also, I never understood Crocodile Dundee's popularity. Movie bored me to years when I was a kid.
My mom took me with her to see it; the appeal as I recall was that it was another romance/comedy/adventure film in the vein of Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile. A supermarket romance novel played out on the big-screen.

I remember my mom covering my eyes when Linda Kozlowski stripped down to her thong bikini, so I almost missed the croc attack scene.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So no real numbers for this weekend?
most distributors aren't even posting numbers.
The leaks are pretty dire though, with the #1 movie pulling in maybe 70k and 99.x% drops across the board.
Some of the films that went to digital this weekend are likely to make more money there than in theaters.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
My mom took me with her to see it; the appeal as I recall was that it was another romance/comedy/adventure film in the vein of Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile. A supermarket romance novel played out on the big-screen.

I remember my mom covering my eyes when Linda Kozlowski stripped down to her thong bikini, so I almost missed the croc attack scene.

Not gonna lie I love Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile to this day. I'll throw War of the Roses in there too. The Michael Douglas/Kathleen Turner with a splash of Danny Devito formula worked well.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Where are the global numbers? Platoon released last week in the UK, only 3 months behind the US release. It won't be long before people in the UK only have to wait a month after the US release to see a movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, Beetoven was on TV and I didn't realize Stanley Tucci played one of the effeminate evil henchman who work for the evil veterinarian

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Did you guys hear that they want to open Batman a week after Ghostbusters II comes out? Hell, the new Indiana Jones movie is coming out around that time, too! With the way things are going (Michael Keaton/Tim Burton?!) WB might have a megaton bomb on their hands.

It still blows my mind that in the summer of 1989, the opening record was broken three times with Last Crusade in May then Ghostbusters II in June and immediately the next week by Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.