• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
This is the best thread I've seen in a while. I'd love one every week.

I had totally forgotten what a massive hit Crocodile Dundee was.

Also, I forgot that Mannequin was relatively popular.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Don't sleep on Hoosiers, y'all. It's a great sports drama, with Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper both knocking it out of the park - or, hitting threes consistently, as it were. It's not as flashy as the big releases like Burglar and Lethal Weapon, but I think it's gonna be a classic.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I never understood Crocodile Dundee's popularity. Movie bored me to years when I was a kid.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Room with a View is definitely the most impactful movie on that list for me.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
The Burglar opening is down from Jumpin' Jack Flash. Even with the addition of Bobcat Goldtwait, it's a bit of a disappointment. Maybe with Lethal Weapon out, there's just not much room for another comedic crime film at the box office. Regardless it's not a good sign for Fatal Beauty later this year. I hope Whoopi rebounds, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Roger Ebert did not like Burglar

A colorful character (in this case, a burglar played by Goldberg) is implicated in a murder. The police are convinced she's guilty. She has to prove she is innocent. That involves her with several bizarre characters. The movie ends in a chase scene. Watching these parboiled elements on the screen, I felt a real sense of anger that Goldberg was being forced to march through such cliches.

Let's face it. Hollywood knows Goldberg is talented, but nobody knows how to handle her in the movies. She is a woman. She is black.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Heard rumors they're making a Batman film. Probably gonna suck. Would be great if they got Arnie.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
And who knows where we might end up in the next few weeks, as there are other leapers out there.
Perhaps even an evil leaper?
There were probably less releases and, more importantly, there was a much bigger window from theatrical to home release. Platoon would only be released in VHS at end of October, 10 months after the theatrical release.
Nowadays, we get movies at home 3 months after it's out in the cinemas.
No kidding. I didn't see Return of the Jedi until it hit the dollar theater about 3 months after it released. I was also ten and we rode our bikes over there without any parental supervision, to complete the cliche.

Back then, there was a whole ecosystem of exhibitors for movies. They'd go to the first run theaters first, then the second run places, and finally the ones that I could afford on my allowance. By that time, the movies would have scratches, weird skips with that buh-thoomp sound they'd make, and a whole host of other audio-visual issues.

But you'd get to see the movie for 50 cents, so whatever.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
March of 1987 I was 10 years old. Turned 11 a few months later.

I didn't see Lethal Weapon in the theater but watched a VHS copy a million times.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
We gotta do a kayfabe thread starting with Titanic's opening weekend, reacting to its absolutely insane, record breaking legs day after day

By the end of its run the world will be back to normal

Right? ; _ ;

This thread is a reminder of how much of a powerhouse Orion Pictures was in their heyday to have not one, but two films that were more than three months old continue to play well at theaters. It's a shame that they ran into such a rotten streak of luck in the late 80s with so many box office flops that the huge grosses from Dances with Wolves and The Silence of the Lambs couldn't save them in the end.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
We gotta do a kayfabe thread starting with Titanic's opening weekend, reacting to its absolutely insane, record breaking legs day after day

By the end of its run the world will be back to normal

Right? ; _ ;
If we wanted to be grisly we could replace the almost certainly dead Summer Blockbuster Wager with "When will theaters reopen?"
I got late June.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a reminder of how much of a powerhouse Orion Pictures was in their heyday to have not one, but two films that were more than three months old continue to play well at theaters. It's a shame that they ran into such a rotten streak of luck in the late 80s with so many box office flops that the huge grosses from Dances with Wolves and The Silence of the Lambs couldn't save them in the end.

The best part of the Child's Play reboot was Orion's logo at the beginning. I love their logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.