• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Mod Edit: Removed Scan

Dream Match!! Gogeta vs Vegetto!! Who is the Strongest in the Universe?!
"Unifying the spirits of the two strongest rivals and merging them together, Fusion has better balance and is able to draw their power out to the max!! Therefore, if it is a short match of thirty minutes or less, then Gogeta should win, while if it is a long battle, then Vegetto should win!!"

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/05/dragon-ball-super-gogeta-vs-vegito-fight-strongest/

Source: Weekly Shonen Jump.

Well,That before Super

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

"Unifying the spirits of the two strongest rivals and merging them together, Fusion has better balance and is able to draw their power out to the max!! Therefore, if it is a short match of thirty minutes or less, then Gogeta should win, while if it is a long battle, then Vegetto should win!!"

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/05/dragon-ball-super-gogeta-vs-vegito-fight-strongest/

Oh shit. Here we go!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
????

This was published four days ago and they said it was a new article.
I'm pretty sure that's not new in spite of the site's claim. None of the images there are from Super. I also don't remember seeing that at all among the other recent Shounen Jump pages. Vegetto also wouldn't last in a long battle based on what we know now, so the text doesn't make sense for a modern publication, but could work if it's from Z's time.

Last edited:

malyse

Community Resetter
I'm pretty sure that's not new in spite of the site's claim. None of the images there are from Super. I also don't remember seeing that at all among the other recent Shounen Jump pages. Vegetto also wouldn't last in a long battle based on what we know now, so the text doesn't make sense for a modern publication, but could work if it's from Z's time.
You think fighting for an hour isn't a long battle?
😶

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Vegito is temporary as well. Potara fusion is only permanent for Kais (until it wasn't anymore in Super).
What do you mean by "until it wasn't anymore"? The only Kais that defused in Super did so with Dragon Balls.
In Z they were perm for everyone.
Permanent for everyone, except Vegetto defused.
I don't get why some people are bugged by the retcon when it fits perfectly with what we saw in Z anyways.
????

This was published four days ago and they said it was a new article.
Comicbook.com is a trash site, they just lifted a translation that Kanzenshuu posted recently. Kenzenshuu makes it very clear that the scan is from a 1995 issue of Weekly Jump.

You think fighting for an hour isn't a long battle?
😶
Expending lots of energy cuts the time short. Doing a full power Final Kamehameha made Vegetto defuse suddenly in Super.

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I consider it a retcon definitely.
Am I expected to believe it's pure coincidence the second the shield goes down they separate...

Also Vegeto is cooler because he has the cocky attitude of vegeta, whereas gogeta is more like a clown (fusion movie notwithstanding).
And he looks better.

qW9i2D.gif

Last edited:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
The advantage of potara used to be the infinite time limit, but that got "not-really-retconned-but-still-a-bit-of-a-retcon." I prefer the fusion of clothes that potara gives instead of the set outfit the fusion dance gives... which Super also screwed up by giving Vegito his OG clothes instead of the armour Vegeta was wearing.

Man, Super screwed up fusion so much. At least Kefla was cool. More of her please.

Oct 25, 2017
Gogeta barely got any screen time though.

Like 10 seconds in movie 12, and in gt where that wasn't his personality at all.

VS vegitto who was a bunch in dbz AND super.

Doesn't feel like a fair comparison.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Am I expected to believe it's pure coincidence the second the shield goes down the separate...

Also Vegeto is cooler because he has the cocky attitude of vegeta, whereas gogeta is more like a clown (fusion movie notwithstanding).
And he looks better.

qW9i2D.gif
His GT personality isn't what's used in the new movie.

The advantage of potara used to be the infinite time limit, but that got "not-really-retconned-but-still-a-bit-of-a-retcon." I prefer the fusion of clothes that potara gives instead of the set outfit the fusion dance gives... which Super also screwed up by giving Vegito his OG clothes instead of the armour Vegeta was wearing.

Man, Super screwed up fusion so much. At least Kefla was cool. More of her please.
Vegetto still follows the rules for Potara clothing in Super, his outfit was always just Goku's gi with the colors swapped and Vegeta's gloves and boots. The only thing really missing is Goku's Go symbol.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vegeta was barely wearing armor when Vegito appeared in Super; Zamasu conveniently destroyed like three fourth of his chest plate (and his sleeves) just before the fusion.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Vegito sucked. The best thing is him fighting as candy, and the fact his fight led to the bit inside Buu which I enjoyed.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Did they explain why no Fusion character in any Manga or Anime has killed or defeated an enemy?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I've finished they're equally powerful, the potara one lasts longer, and the fusion dance is more time consuming, isn't Gogeta kind of strictly worse? I don't really see any motivation for using that form (unless you don't have any earrings laying around).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So I've finished they're equally powerful, the potara one lasts longer, and the fusion dance is more time consuming, isn't Gogeta kind of strictly worse? I don't really see any motivation for using that form (unless you don't have any earrings laying around).
That would be it :lol

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The Buu explanation made sense to me. Them arbitrarily removing the only defining feature of the earrings doesn't

The explanation makes sense though, even in universe. Only supreme Kai's had ever used it for fusion and...it was always permanent. Mortals had never used it but all they ever knew was that it's permanent, so they assumed the same thing with Goku and Vegeta and it turned out it didn't work that way for mortals they just never knew because it was never done before. Makes more sense than a deus ex "uhhh, yeah buu's magic negates...hey look over there!"

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Am I expected to believe it's pure coincidence the second the shield goes down they separate...

And he looks better.

qW9i2D.gif
It's always possible that keeping the barrier up drained his remaining time, since we know expending too much energy can drain up fusion time.

Oct 27, 2017
The explanation makes sense though, even in universe. Only supreme Kai's had ever used it for fusion and...it was always permanent. Mortals had never used it but all they ever knew was that it's permanent, so they assumed the same thing with Goku and Vegeta and it turned out it didn't work that way for mortals they just never knew because it was never done before. Makes more sense than a deus ex "uhhh, yeah buu's magic negates...hey look over there!"
Not really. Buu's magic had no precedent so there were no established rules for it. The rings only having a feature arbitrarily apply to Kai's makes no sense to me

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS.

For. YEARS.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Not really. Buu's magic had no precedent so there were no established rules for it. The rings only having a feature arbitrarily apply to Kai's makes no sense to me

Ehh, it's not really arbitrary, Kai's and mortals are fundamentally different. Really weird example but it's like saying a human can eat chocolate so a dog should be able to aswell when in fact it's toxic for them. The first time it's ever done by mortals to defeat someone to then have that person be the ONLY one in known time to have the ability to split them apart is absolutely arbitrary

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fusión dance is an issue because you're left wide open for an attack and you can't do shit about it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That vest is so fucking ugly. I'll never understand why people like it.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember that being the case in Z. Sounds like a retcon

It was a retcon/explanation in super as to why they fused. Could have sworn potara was permanent. But that doesn't matter now.

My other thought is that potara fusion doesn't require the fusers to raise or lower their power levels but, potara does. So shouldn't potara technically be stronger?
(Obviously i'm not comparing vegito from super to DBS movie gogeta. )

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

So Gogeta is probably a bit stronger but doesn't last as long. I guess in the end that still makes them equal with different strengths.

Gogeta seems overall more useful due to accessibility and the fact that most fights would probably be over in 30 minutes.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My other thought is that potara fusion doesn't require the fusers to raise or lower their power levels but, potara does. So shouldn't potara technically be stronger?
If anything, it should be weaker since that means any strong fighter can fuse with any random weak-ass person, whereas with the fusion dance both fusers have to be on the same level of strength

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter if the fusion was stated to be permanent. Vegito defuses in Z, proving that the fusion wasn't permanent and there were holes in the logic in Z.

Yes there was an alternative answer to why the fusion ended other than it being a time restriction. The answer in Z was super shitty, and just a guess by Goku and Elder Kai that the stuff inside of Buu caused them to defuse. Super at least tried to give a less silly reason, even if it just makes Vegito a slightly better Gogeta, they're both still badass and strong as fuck, so who cares?

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It was a retcon/explanation in super as to why they fused. Could have sworn potara was permanent. But that doesn't matter now.

It's not a bad theory, but it's also just more speculation since we don't know how either fusion really accumulates power levels. I don't believe it's ever stated by Goku that a fusee lowering their power level negatively effects the end result of Gogeta/Gotenks; I'd imagine it's by a negligible amount if so, given that Goku still wanted to do the fusion dance with Vegeta when they were inside Buu's body, despite Vegeta being significantly weaker than him.

It may be safe to just assume that Toriyama intends for both fusions to grant equal strength with the main difference being in abilities and appearance. I think it would be interesting for them to fuse into either Gogeta or Vegito based not on power (assume they're equal) but who they're fighting against. Vegito's time difference may come in handy, or perhaps one of Gogeta's abilities would be more useful against their opponent (e.g. Stardust Breaker against Janemba).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So did goten and trunks unfuse straightaway when buu absorbed gotenks and both boys put into their separate pod, or did gotenks get his own pod and then when fusion time ran out they then got their own ones.

🤔

I know no one knows

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS.

For. YEARS.
So Gogeta is probably a bit stronger but doesn't last as long. I guess in the end that still makes them equal with different strengths.

Gogeta seems overall more useful due to accessibility and the fact that most fights would probably be over in 30 minutes.
As I said above, this isn't a new article, it's from a 1995 issue of Weekly Jump, ComicBook.com is just trash a reporting things properly.
The newest information is that they are equal.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Goten and Trunks being able to fuse in base, but powerup to SSJ/ SSSJ3 post fusion, negates the whole argument of fusion dance being weaker because of needing the same power level to do the fusion

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
No this is not entirely true watch this video
Gogeta > Vegito in term of raw power

TLDR: Gogeta is better for short battle with explosive power, while Vegito is better for long battles

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Going by Kefla not making sense either, since it should be Kafla, the earrings make up their own rules when naming.

The real answer is that the Japanese name is Vegetto, since he's a fusion of Vegeta and Kakarotto.

Vegito is a dubism.

Not quite, Vegeta's name in Japanese is ベジータ "Bejita", and the fused character is ベジット "Bejitto". In the US we naturally substituted the B for V, and "ge/gi" for "ji" for obvious reasons. "Vegito" is just a closer spelling equivalent to the Japanese version, and was used in the early days of the fandom when groups were doing translations.

This is also why early in the DBZ fandom, people were writing "Vegita/Vejita" in lieu of "Vegeta". Then once NA started getting licensed dubs, everyone kinda just went with "Vegeta" and "Vegetto" because...why not lol.