• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably listen through it once, but I'd like them to put more of their own spin on their covers versus what they did with the Toto stuff.

Not a big deal considering most probably will just stream the album from somewhere or listen to it on Youtube, so it's not like they're scamming people into buying an album.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know this is a kind of obvious statement to make but listening to the Spotify previews all these covers are such... covers.

They literally just feel like another band playing other people's songs. And I know that's what covers literally are but I feel like if I was putting out a cover album I would be more inventive and try to perform the song in a way it hasn't been heard before but I don't really get that from these songs at all. It's just other people's songs as performed by Weezer with no unique characterization or flair, in my opinion.

I like Weezer. They were my first concert. I don't know what I expected from this album but I'm not especially impressed. I suppose it's just for fun.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Had a listen. They're all straight covers of famous songs in line with the Africa one so there's not much incentive to go back.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Damn it, I saw "Teal album" out of the corner of my eye and thought it said Tool album.

Someday...

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is a kind of obvious statement to make but listening to the Spotify previews all these covers are such... covers.

They literally just feel like another band playing other people's songs. And I know that's what covers literally are but I feel like if I was putting out a cover album I would be more inventive and try to perform the song in a way it hasn't been heard before but I don't really get that from these songs at all. It's just other people's songs as performed by Weezer with no unique characterization or flair, in my opinion.

I like Weezer. They were my first concert. I don't know what I expected from this album but I'm not especially impressed. I suppose it's just for fun.
Yeah this summarizes my thoughts on their Africa cover. It sounds almost exactly like the original. Looking forward to hearing these "new" songs on the radio.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
I literally don't understand why I would listen to these over the originals. I love Weezer, still, but this is just weak.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta strike while that cover song iron is hot! I dunno.. It's a fun album. It isn't great and I get people want a different spin on the songs, but I've always like covers that were closer to the originals personally.. at least structurally.

Oct 27, 2017

When I heard the Toto cover I honestly thought it was the original at first, so sadly this doesn't surprise me.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
giphy.gif

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Bizzare.

Great songs but why? They are 1 t o 1 copies with super basic production.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I flicked through the album. I think Weezer should've picked better songs to suit their style. A Queen song and a Green Day song for instance? The Cars?! They've worked with Ric Ocasek before!

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is the definition of haters gonna hate to me because I loved it. At least 4 of those songs are on my permanent Spotify list lol

I don't see why some people don't like it at all. I mean you seriously don't like not even ONE song?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
At least put a little bit of effort into it. They're all straight covers with no added personality, just like their Africa cover. How that became super popular, I'll never know.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It's hard to go wrong with a Mr. Blue Sky cover. 1st listen and not bad. Treating this like a lil extra and not in vein of a new Weezer album.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
This all sounds like some band at a local bar playing covers. Like it's not bad, but it's not great... it doesn't really put a spin on any of them in a way that makes them new again. It's just a band playing the old songs.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This all sounds like some band at a local bar playing covers. Like it's not bad, but it's not great... it doesn't really put a spin on any of them in a way that makes them new again. It's just a band playing the old songs.

That's been Weezer's whole schtick since day 1.

A basic garage band playing tunes with an 80s rock feel.

I don't think they're trying to be new. They aim for the nostalgia.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'll preface this by saying that I'm a pretty big Weezer fan. I'm no Matt Damon but I did like Everything Will Be Alright in the End and loved White Album. Also, I'm not all the way through yet but this seems like a fun surprise. Black Album is coming out soon and could be great (or trash, you never know what Weezer you'll get at this point) so to have this drop unannounced is kinda nice. I don't mind straight covers, it'd almost be more grating if they tried to re-imagine all these songs in some uniquely "Weezer" way.

I kinda hate when you're listening to a song and it sounds vaguely familiar then the chorus starts and you realize it's just some cover that retains nothing of the original. I guess you could argue the same when a song starts and then when vocals start you realize it's a different band...

That's been Weezer's whole schtick since day 1.

A basic garage band playing tunes with an 80s rock feel.

I don't think they're trying to be new. They aim for the nostalgia.
You must not have listened to half their discography then.