• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Alright, I am officially in for this. I am 6'2 and currently weighing in at 245lbs. I have slowly gained weight since I got married a few years back, but I was at 215lbs back then, and would love to get back down to that.

April 26th: 245lbs

sirostro

Dec 8, 2017
Sign me up! The last thread has been a great help for me even if I was just lurking. I lost around 7-8 kilos which isn't too much but a good start.

April 26th: 100,9 kg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Hey guys, I would've signed up earlier, but I got dusted by Thanos till today.
Alright, I'm in!

April 26th: 76,0kg, at 172cm

I was at like 80 about 2 months ago, so I'm making progress so far. My max weight was 84, but that was a while ago.
I want to basically just stop being overweight, which means reaching about 70, though ideally, I'd like to get to 65kg. But that's far away, for now, I just want to lose.

Eating with a caloric deficit a few days a week (usually 6, depending on the celebrations to be had sometimes only 5 or 4), plus some light exercise like running and pushups.
I know I should hit the gym, I even got membership, but work has me walking around for up to 8 hours a day, and I'm so lazy. Looking for a gym buddy to steal some motivation.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm in for this as well finally. I've seen these threads in passing but always forget or miss the deadline or whatever else. I'm getting older and I'm very overweight and kind of tired of it lol.

April 26th: 251.0lbs

I believe I'm somewhere between 5'10 and 5'11 but can't find our tape measurer to save my life. I also just now ordered a new scale off amazon that'll be here Sunday because our current scale is kinda wonky and I was having a hard time getting a consistent weight reading but that's probably about right. This is closest to the heaviest I've ever been (which was about 260), for years I've generally hovered at 240-245. The bulk of my weight gain is honestly just eating bad out of laziness; I actually like eating healthy foods for the most part (plain oatmeal has been my most common breakfast for years and I like whole grain foods, smoothies, etc) but I tend to just either snack excessively out of boredom or I'm too tired after work and get fast food where even then there is better options (like salads which I also like!) but I get a #1 combo or whatever without really thinking about it. My wife and I did the Whole 30 a year and a half ago and stuck to it pretty solidly and we both lost like 16 pounds which got me down to ~225 which is the lowest I'd been in probably 15 years but then that just crept back up. Work has also been absolutely *soulcrushing* for the last 6-8 months which is when things have gotten noticeably worse and I've been stuck in the loop of feeling awful so I eat awful so I feel awful etc.

My work actually has one of those health monitor program things (Virgin Pulse if anyone is familiar), I wear a fitbit and get usually 10-12k steps a day at work (fairly active office/hospital work) and I've also had good success tracking foods etc through myfitnesspal, it's just been a question of sticking with all of that, especially on my days off. Back when we were on the whole 30 I was keeping up with all of that plus ~45 minutes most days on an exercise bike watching netflix or twitch. Basically I've had the tools and individual pieces for everything but I've never been able to put everything together or stick with it for an extended period of time, so I'm trying again and this time I'm hoping doing it a little more publicly well light a fire under my ass. Good luck everyone!

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
In for another round!

Start of the first challenge (1/8): 195.2 lbs
End of the first challenge (4/5): 169.8 lbs
Current weight (4/26): 165.4 lbs
Goal: 155 lbs

Setting a more modest goal this time. 155 feels like the right number, as it'll put me right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. If I do better than that, then great! A more long-term goal is to make 170 my new "upper bound", as I've blown way above that a few times in recent years and I want to be more cognizant of not doing that going forward.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
After falling of the wagon hard and basically gaining everything I lost again. I'll be back this time around.
Gonna be on vacation for the first two weeks of the challenge though, so I won't be able to post any updates during that time.

April 26th: 113.4 kg

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, might as well get more accountability for myself. Started recording my weight using the LoseIt app since about a month ago. I'm trying to hit a target of 145lb, which I may be able to hit ~late august if progress continues.

Apr25: 161.4

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
You all have another 5 hours to get your entries in. Remember:
  • No proof required - that requirement got dropped two challenges ago, but people still seem to be confused about it. I trust you guys to tell the truth.
  • Please be consistent about your measurement units. If you weighed in using lb, please don't update in kg or vice versa
  • You can update at any time, including before the official start date. It pays to get your entry in early. If you think this gives people an unfair advantage, remember - the first two kg (4lb) of weight loss is mostly water weight. Also, you have 12 weeks to catch up

tsef

Oct 28, 2017
In.
Start : 123.6kg
Goal : as much as possible.
Lost 10 kg earlier in the year but got it all back. I need some motivatiion.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
In.
Start : 123.6kg
Goal : as much as possible.
Lost 10 kg earlier in the year but got it all back. I need some motivatiion.
How tall are you? If you want to say. Just curious, since "as much as possible" is pretty different depending if you're 2.10m tall or a short fella around 1.50m.

Btw, you guys know the feeling of going from struggling to put on a belt to considering using belt notch #2? Feels good. It's kinda the most obvious progress I've made in the past months.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
How tall are you? If you want to say. Just curious, since "as much as possible" is pretty different depending if you're 2.10m tall or a short fella around 1.50m.

Btw, you guys know the feeling of going from struggling to put on a belt to considering using belt notch #2? Feels good. It's kinda the most obvious progress I've made in the past months.

I lost a lot of weight last year (and carried the streak on into 2019). The figure on the scales really isn't the be-all-end-all of losing weight. Seeing it drop slightly is a good feeling but knowing I have to go and buy new jeans, because my old ones are way too big and keep falling down, is far more exciting. The belt I bought last year is now too big and effectively useless, so I had to make new holes in it

tsef

Oct 28, 2017

I'm 184 cm. Yeah I know the goal isn't that well defined, I meant to say I wanted to do my best. Especially since I lost a bunch and gained it all back. It's more of a continuous motivation problem.

Oct 27, 2017

Hey, all. Started earlier this year at 360 and weighed in at 318.4 on Wednesday. It fluctuates a bit so I reckon I'm 319 right now. I think I'm still within the time constraints for entry? My immediate goal is to be under 300 by the August 1st, and long-term is 180. It's only like 10:31 in American Somoa so I think I'm cool!

5' 7". Currently 319. Feel like a dumbass because I didn't take a full-body pic at 360.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Half an hour left to go, good people! Get those entries in!

EDIT: Please check the spreadsheet to make sure I got your entry recorded properly. I'm only human and I make mistakes.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I lost a lot of weight last year (and carried the streak on into 2019). The figure on the scales really isn't the be-all-end-all of losing weight. Seeing it drop slightly is a good feeling but knowing I have to go and buy new jeans, because my old ones are way too big and keep falling down, is far more exciting. The belt I bought last year is now too big and effectively useless, so I had to make new holes in it
Phew, that's quite a weight drop. Amazing stuff, even though its probably not cheap to completely rebuy your wardrobe..

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, entries are closed!

Again, could everyone who signed up please check the spreadsheet and let me know if everything is good.

From now on, you can sign up to have your weight tracked, but you'll no longer be in the running to win the competition.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Phew, that's quite a weight drop. Amazing stuff, even though its probably not cheap to completely rebuy your wardrobe..
It's not, but I've done it slowly (a couple of shirts at a time) so it wasn't too bad. I didn't want to buy too much at once as I'm still losing weight. Some of the stuff I only bought last year is already getting a bit baggy now.

I gave all my old clothes away to a local charity shop, which was a great feeling

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well, it's 2019, so there's no reason why your scale isn't automatically posting your weight to a google sheets document, so here it goes:
XrfVC1h.png

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Good luck to all of you. I once did a diet but stopped due to several reasons and got all my weight back and some more xD So yes, as OP said, the diet you are doing is something you will be doing for the rest of your life (or variations of it I guess?). Although a picture says more than a thousand words, I noticed that I lost about 8 kg when my gf hugged me, like there was suddenly a lot less body to wrap around xD Men usually have the body shape of an apple and women of a pear, but I got the pear genetics ;) I evenly put on weight, yay. I want to be leaner and more athletic by mid July, let's see how that goes. Starting weight is 100 kg.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck to all of you. I once did a diet but stopped due to several reasons and got all my weight back and some more xD So yes, as OP said, the diet you are doing is something you will be doing for the rest of your life (or variations of it I guess?).

This is a big issue for me. For the people who know how I used to be, and how I've lost weight this year, they keep saying things about I'll put the weight back on in the future, they lost weight and gained it again etc, diets only work for a few weeks etc. It hasn't happened, and I have no intention of letting it happen because I know how to control my macros and live within my calorie deficit. Yes, you can lose a ton of weight very quickly but if you've done it by taking shortcuts (water diets, juicing, etc) then the weight will return. These kind of diets don't make you lose fat; they make you lose water weight and maybe even muscle mass. Zero carb diets aren't sustainable and, though they'll provide quick results, once you eat carbs again you will gain weight

Oct 25, 2017
Zero carb diets aren't sustainable and, though they'll provide quick results, once you eat carbs again you will gain weight

I assume when you say zero carb diet you're also referring to low carb and keto. I think keto is sustainable, not sure why you would disagree here.

The thing I've learned about keto, is that you don't need to be on keto for the rest of your life to get the benefits. My plan is to do keto for 3-4 months on and off. The benefit here is that your body is fat adapted, trained to use fat as a fuel efficiently which will last beyond your days in ketosis.

I do agree with what you say in general. Crash diets aren't the long term solution. You want to formulate a long term sort of life style or plan that can sustain your weight goal and maintain it.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
This is a big issue for me. For the people who know how I used to be, and how I've lost weight this year, they keep saying things about I'll put the weight back on in the future, they lost weight and gained it again etc, diets only work for a few weeks etc. It hasn't happened, and I have no intention of letting it happen because I know how to control my macros and live within my calorie deficit. Yes, you can lose a ton of weight very quickly but if you've done it by taking shortcuts (water diets, juicing, etc) then the weight will return. These kind of diets don't make you lose fat; they make you lose water weight and maybe even muscle mass. Zero carb diets aren't sustainable and, though they'll provide quick results, once you eat carbs again you will gain weight
The big goal of my diet was to change the way I eat and cook. Having to cook three healthy meals a day can be quite stressful and challenging in the beginning. For the first few months, I had to only cook one meal a day, because the other two were shakes/bars/soup from the diet company. I learned about the right portions of each part (noodles/meat/veggies) and started losing weight. Yes, the first week was like a lot of water and stuff, but later on I also lost fat and started exercising. After a certain amount of time, I only needed one meal from the diet company and cooked the other two myself. Due to several circumstances I quit and am now at an all time high, but some of it might me more muscles as well. The goal would have been cooking three healthy meals a day and not gaining any weight back.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I assume when you say zero carb diet you're also referring to low carb and keto. I think keto is sustainable, not sure why you would disagree here.

The thing I've learned about keto, is that you don't need to be on keto for the rest of your life to get the benefits. My plan is to do keto for 3-4 months on and off. The benefit here is that your body is fat adapted, trained to use fat as a fuel efficiently which will last beyond your days in ketosis.

I do agree with what you say in general. Crash diets aren't the long term solution. You want to formulate a long term sort of life style or plan that can sustain your weight goal and maintain it.

I was talking about extreme vlcd and some of that is zero carb. Going to zero carbs is dangerous. A lower carb/low fat diet is just a calorie-controlled diet. You're hitting your calorie goals by reducing your calorie intake, and they're just two different approaches to the same end goal.

I don't know enough about Keto to analyse it properly but it seems like one of the few radical diets with proof to back up the claims. Keto hasn't really taken off over here like it has in America, so I don't have any experience with it. If you're using Keto and not getting any side effects associated with bad diets, then that's good news. From what I know, and I may be way off here, ketosis means your body adapts to take its energy from fat reserves instead of carbs. This burns off fat quickly and safely. You have to be very specific with the source/ratio of these fats though, and that's where people fall down with it

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, you can lose a ton of weight very quickly but if you've done it by taking shortcuts (water diets, juicing, etc) then the weight will return. These kind of diets don't make you lose fat; they make you lose water weight and maybe even muscle mass.
I see you were already challenged on the zero carbs nonsense but this bit about water fasting is also bollox. I've been fasting (water only) on alternate days for almost 16 months now and have lost nearly 200lbs of fat. Not muscle and water! It works so well I was able to win last time out on these challanges even 1 year into the diet when weight loss is slowing down as I approach my goal. It's also a viable lifestyle going forward. I just need to eat a little more on the days I eat and I will maintain while still fasting regurlarly. So yeah. Not the most accurate post mate.

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about extreme vlcd and some of that is zero carb. Going to zero carbs is dangerous. A lower carb/low fat diet is just a calorie-controlled diet. You're hitting your calorie goals by reducing your calorie intake, and they're just two different approaches to the same end goal.

I don't know enough about Keto to analyse it properly but it seems like one of the few radical diets with proof to back up the claims. Keto hasn't really taken off over here like it has in America, so I don't have any experience with it. If you're using Keto and not getting any side effects associated with bad diets, then that's good news. From what I know, and I may be way off here, ketosis means your body adapts to take its energy from fat reserves instead of carbs. This burns off fat quickly and safely. You have to be very specific with the source/ratio of these fats though, and that's where people fall down with it

I don't think keto is really complicated tbh. Set 20-30 g carb limit. Set a goal of eating .8g per lean mass pound, slightly more or less based on exercise. Then satiate yourself with fat, using this as a filler for the rest of your calories. There isn't a very specific ratio unless you're doing keto for something other than weight loss. When you're on weight loss you just cut out fat to meet your calorie goal. It works just like any other diet at that point. Calorie deficit = weight loss. Keto has benefits though besides being satiated by the fat you eat, which makes it attractive on it's own tbh.

The goal here is to get into fat adaptation, as you pointed out. But your body still uses carbs because it needs to. It can turn protein into carbs, which is a good thing because your body needs carbs. This is why zero carb diets work and are sustainable. You need carbs but you don't need dietary carbs.

If there is an actual problem with keto, it's the amount of misinformation and contradictory information out there. Some sites will have you believe that if you eat too much protein you can get knocked out of ketosis, which is true to a certain extent but not a realistic concern for most. Some sites don't explain the difference between a keto diet for weight loss and a keto diet for weight maintenance. And some sites treat ketosis and fat adaptation as the same thing.

I'm by no means an expert but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoy eating fats, eat fats. If you enjoy eating carbs, eat carbs. The destination for diets is the same, fat loss due to a caloric deficit, the road to getting there has all kinds of routes you can take.

Don't try a diet that you don't think you can maintain for the rest of your life.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
disagree. some diets are easier to lose the weight than others but when the weight is gone you can just eat normal again but watch the weight more closely.

Except people fall into their regular rythms very easily. You shouldn't "diet" but change your diet; make a lasting change that might not lose you much quickly, but will be sustainable in the future. Jojo-ing is no fun and unhealthy.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update.
April 29, 123.3kg.

Last week went to pits with some unexpected stuff and I slipped up a bunch. This week should be better.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
It was a seriously terrible week, I overeat badly on one occasion as well
Still down to 98.7kg. Continuing like this won't be too bad

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
https://twitter.com/ThomasDaly1988/status/1123154539274747905

Can some embed my twitter photo in my post I'm on mobile and I don't know how to do it thank you.

In 11 months I've lost 5 stone (70 Pounds)

Left photo is June 1st 2018, Right photo is April 30th 2019.

The weight will never return I can't believe I actually made it and I actually used to look like this.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life and I fell off the wagon a few times but never give up.

Weight Loss Diary

2018 - June - 14.10 (206 Pounds)

2018 - July - 13.06 (188 Pounds)

2018 - August - 12.07 (175 Pounds)

2018 - September - 11.10 (164 Pounds)

2018 - October - 11.07 (161 Pounds)

2018 - November - 11.04 (158 Pounds)

2018 - December - 10.12 (152 Pounds)

2019 - January - 11.01 (155 Pounds)

2019 - February - 10.04 (144 Pounds)

2019 - March - 10.02 (142 Pounds)

2019 - April - 10.00 (140 Pounds)

2019 - May - 09.10 (136 Pounds)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/ThomasDaly1988/status/1123154539274747905

Can some embed my twitter photo in my post I'm on mobile and I don't know how to do it thank you.

In 11 months I've lost 5 stone (70 Pounds)

Left photo is June 1st 2018, Right photo is April 30th 2019.

The weight will never return I can't believe I actually made it and I actually used to look like this.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life and I fell off the wagon a few times but never give up.

Weight Loss Diary

2018 - June - 14.10 (206 Pounds)

2018 - July - 13.06 (188 Pounds)

2018 - August - 12.07 (175 Pounds)

2018 - September - 11.10 (164 Pounds)

2018 - October - 11.07 (161 Pounds)

2018 - November - 11.04 (158 Pounds)

2018 - December - 10.12 (152 Pounds)

2019 - January - 11.01 (155 Pounds)

2019 - February - 10.04 (144 Pounds)

2019 - March - 10.02 (142 Pounds)

2019 - April - 10.00 (140 Pounds)

2019 - May - 09.10 (136 Pounds)
D5Y_GIkXoAAt6c-.jpg

I put it in the quote, nice job!

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
As on a weight loss track anyway (counting calories + gym 3 ish times a week) may as well sign up for this to help if not too late .

As of the 26th I am 98.8kg (217 lbs).
Started at 108.4kg (238 lbs) back in February, by the end of July would like to be in the 80kg range (190 lbs odd). is 180 cm tall.

Last edited:

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Update at 146.6 this morning.
Trying to stay off most of the bad carbs like pasta, rice, potato and empty crackers.

I have a ton of left over chocolate from Easter but I'm being reasonably controlled so far: I ate a single Toblerone bar (100grams) last week.

I still need a sweet every other day but mostly small stuff like a small cup of icecream or a 50grams chocolate something (bar or brownie or cookie or so).

So far so good. Thanks everyone

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well start keeping myself accountable here as well.

Started at 440 lbs two years ago and got a crazy medical scare. Dropped 120 pounds and got down to 320. Started getting lazy and creeped back to 350. So back on the grind and working to lose another 90 pounds.

Let's do this.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
I will update with my weight on Friday, but the weekend and this week so far have been going pretty well. Meal prep helps a ton! Not being tempted to order bad food while at work is nice. I find that just not having that stuff available in the house makes this a lot easier.

I am also cutting out alcohol, at least 6 days a week. Will probably have a few drinks on Saturday, but I am going to try to keep the weekdays dry.

Love seeing the updates and everybody's goals in here! Let's keep it up!

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Slipped a little bit on vacation although I could have done worse I guess. Back to my original weight.

April 11th: 200.2lbs
April 18th: 198.6lbs
April 30th: 200.2lbs

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to calculate my macros and I just cannot figure out a reliable body fat calculation. It doesn't seem to be THAT big of a deal. It's the difference between eating 8g of protein and 3g of fat. But there is also some importance I feel at least morale-wise.

https://www.healthcentral.com/custom/home-body-fat-test puts me at 16.5%
https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html puts me at 21.5%

I've seen pics of body/weight/height comparisons before. I don't think I am in the 15%ish range quite yet, so I am inclined to go with 21.5%. I kinda think all these calculators kinda suck. DEXA scans are expensive and also susceptible to inaccuracies too according to my research.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I am 98.8kg (217 lbs).
Welcome to the thread!

You're in good company here.

I've added both of you to the tracking spreadsheet, but since you both signed up after the deadline, I've put you into the "unofficial" category with the past challenge winners. Your totals will add to the overall totals of course, but you'll be competing for fun rather than glory.

I am trying to calculate my macros and I just cannot figure out a reliable body fat calculation. It doesn't seem to be THAT big of a deal. It's the difference between eating 8g of protein and 3g of fat. But there is also some importance I feel at least morale-wise.

https://www.healthcentral.com/custom/home-body-fat-test puts me at 16.5%
https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html puts me at 21.5%

I've seen pics of body/weight/height comparisons before. I don't think I am in the 15%ish range quite yet, so I am inclined to go with 21.5%. I kinda think all these calculators kinda suck. DEXA scans are expensive and also susceptible to inaccuracies too according to my research.
Not sure about the first - it uses a method I'm not familiar with, but the second uses the US Navy method of calculation.

No matter how you measure it, body fat estimates are going to be inaccurate because of how the body stores water - you bloat or lean out depending on what you've been eating or drinking, so the key is to measure in a consistent way so you can watch the trends. Myself, I take bf estimates every Friday morning when I wake up, after attending the call of nature but before I've eaten or drunk anything.

DEXA will still be more accurate than anything you can do with pincers or a tape measure however. It'll give you a baseline snapshot, at the very least.

You'll get to within around +/- 3% with the US Navy method, by the way, which again is good enough for charting trends.

Last edited:

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Please help Era. I need to lose weight and I hate Keto diet. Food is same same all weekend every day.
anyone have any advice to lose weight fast without doing gym as my work doesn't allow me to do gym at reasonable hours.