• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Please help Era. I need to lose weight and I hate Keto diet. Food is same same all weekend every day.
anyone have any advice to lose weight fast without doing gym as my work doesn't allow me to do gym at reasonable hours.

Counting calories is probably your best bet if you can't stick to something like keto, control your intake versus your daily resting burn and you should be losing weight, keto and exercise will only help make it go faster by virtue of you burning more energy.

Don't give up because it won't be as fast as you maybe want, give it time and you will get there, your diet is what matters and you just need to learn how to control it.

The gym thing obviously sucks, are the hours that unreasonable for you? My working hours often mean I have to hit the gym at 7 in the evening, it sucks but I made it a habit to go there since I know it helps.

Best of luck!

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Counting calories is probably your best bet if you can't stick to something like keto, control your intake versus your daily resting burn and you should be losing weight, keto and exercise will only help make it go faster by virtue of you burning more energy.

Don't give up because it won't be as fast as you maybe want, give it time and you will get there, your diet is what matters and you just need to learn how to control it.

The gym thing obviously sucks, are the hours that unreasonable for you? My working hours often mean I have to hit the gym at 7 in the evening, it sucks but I made it a habit to go there since I know it helps.

Best of luck!
Good day Sir. Just to know that i value your response very much and appreciate the advice.
I have a problem where i accumulate all the weight i put on around my tummy area.
I have a huge portion control problem. I tend to eat alot when i am hungry. Sometimes i eat little bits over the course of an hour, sometimes i smash a plate of food and extras. Simply put, my diet is erratic.

Portion control and calorie counting i need to get under control. My partner worries about my weight and i wish i was 85kg's again. I am now pushing 113kg's.

I work 10am - 7pm shift. I have to wake up at 7.30am every morning to get to work on time. The commute to work in the morning takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. It takes about same time for me to get home in the evening so i step in the front door just before or after 9pm. So if i am going to gym before or after work, i am going to have precious little sleep and i feel i will burn myself out. Eating right is my first priority and i see it as my ticket to weight loss.

Do you use a calorie counting app like 'My Fitness Pal'? What about food scales? is that necessary to use? Sorry for all questions. I am open to any suggestions.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Good day Sir. Just to know that i value your response very much and appreciate the advice.
I have a problem where i accumulate all the weight i put on around my tummy area.
I have a huge portion control problem. I tend to eat alot when i am hungry. Sometimes i eat little bits over the course of an hour, sometimes i smash a plate of food and extras. Simply put, my diet is erratic.

Portion control and calorie counting i need to get under control. My partner worries about my weight and i wish i was 85kg's again. I am now pushing 113kg's.

I work 10am - 7pm shift. I have to wake up at 7.30am every morning to get to work on time. The commute to work in the morning takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. It takes about same time for me to get home in the evening so i step in the front door just before or after 9pm. So if i am going to gym before or after work, i am going to have precious little sleep and i feel i will burn myself out. Eating right is my first priority and i see it as my ticket to weight loss.

Do you use a calorie counting app like 'My Fitness Pal'? What about food scales? is that necessary to use? Sorry for all questions. I am open to any suggestions.
I have a 514 day streak in MyFitnessPal. It works.

And yes - get a digital food scale and measure every portion that goes into your mouth. Your first step is to re-learn how much you're supposed to be eating, because eyeballing portions will not work.

Read the FAQ.

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to do an early update rather than waiting 2 weeks. Mostly because for some reason the weight fell off this week.

April 26th: 213lbs
May 1st: 209lbs

Now to go off visiting family and put all that back on again :)

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Last week: 95,4kg
96,4kg today.

Couldnt measure before breakfast so I think I have the right to subtract the 600gr I ate (/s)

The weekends festivities took their toll, and Im on a business trip from tomorrow.. we Will see.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017

Ah, that commute is pretty brutal, just try to fit in some exercise like going for a walk when you can, but the primary focus should be your diet anyways.

I use an App called Lifesum for counting calories, it allows me to scan the barcodes of things I buy and get a good overview of what I am eating and where I might be making mistakes, but generally just get used to looking at the nutritional values on products before you buy them. The first couple of weeks will probably suck a little while you adjust your eating habits, but you will hit a point where it just becomes a new normal to eat at a calorie deficit.

Use a scale to determine how much you are eating, be honest with how much you are eating and track how much you are eating so you can spot any missteps, do that and you should be on the correct track. Also pack your lunch for the day at home and avoid eating any foods you cannot reliably calorie count, it's really easy to overeat without thinking.

Best of luck

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Just wanted to jump in this thread to say that after over a decade of obesity I think I have hit a healthy settling point for my weight. I've been at around 81-83kg for over a year. I am 186cm tall for reference. My max weight was probably close to 130kg, and I lost it through diet and exercise. Initially I lost it through diet, cut out sugary drinks and snacks, then some intermittent fasting regimens to get under 90kg.

I ride my bicycle about 150km a week now and don't really track calories, but try to avoid sugar and red meat. Otherwise I eat whenever I want to and also drink plenty of beer. Good to see other people making progress toward a healthy weight and wanted to share my own.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
damn, i posted earlier in the thread and then completely forgot to check back with a weigh in.

im not going to take part in the challenge because i missed the deadline, but if no one minds and its not an issue ill "play along" for the duration as im still intent on losing weight and getting back into shape and seeing everyone else going through the "fight" too would be a nice encouragement.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
damn, i posted earlier in the thread and then completely forgot to check back with a weigh in.

im not going to take part in the challenge because i missed the deadline, but if no one minds and its not an issue ill "play along" for the duration as im still intent on losing weight and getting back into shape and seeing everyone else going through the "fight" too would be a nice encouragement.
Just post your weight and I'll add you to the spreadsheet for tracking purposes. That thing ends up with a good portion of non-competing participants by the end of most challenges.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Just did the first comparison photos since February in preparation of going pretty hardcore for the next month to go the final mile, and I looked back at the starting photos from little under a year ago.

Fuck me a lot has changed from there an until now, it didn't really dawn on me just how much changed since it haven't really compared photos for a long time now. I might post some pictures later this month, but I can kinda see why some people get really surprised once they see me at this point.

Again huge thanks to viciouskillersquirrel for running these fantastic threads, they have been a huge motivation to keep going, so let's have another great round everyone!

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please help Era. I need to lose weight and I hate Keto diet. Food is same same all weekend every day.
anyone have any advice to lose weight fast without doing gym as my work doesn't allow me to do gym at reasonable hours.
I went from 355 lb to 185 lb over a period of 10 months just by counting calories. I used MyFitnessPal and that's it.

Oct 25, 2017
194 lbs today, after about a week of stalling/gaining up to 198.

I've been tracking my water intake better lately due to having bought a half gallon bottle I can use to guarantee I get enough.

Oct 27, 2017
I just found this thread and thought I'd post since I need a little bit of help keeping me going strong. My buddies and I all decided to loose weight together so the competitiveness of it is what kept me going but now they both seemed to drop out or not really focus on our goal of reaching 180 lbs.

Two months ago I was at 225 lbs and right now I'm sitting at 187 lbs and the last week or so I've been skipping a day or two of my workouts and I know it's bad and I'm so close to my goal. I do weightlifting 3 hours a day along with 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I feel off when I miss a workout in the week but sometimes I just don't have the drive if there's no one to compete against. Anyways just venting and hopefully this thread kicks my ass back into gear.

Here's my current stats.
20190501-154034.jpg

Last edited:

mekky

Oct 25, 2017
112.4kg this morning. Expected since just been on holiday and not really watching what I've eaten that much.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My back chose to cramp up while reaching for my keys (the most dangerous physical activity, it seems), and now I'm in constant pain.
Kinda sucks, I want to run/exercise more.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I just found this thread and thought I'd post since I need a little bit of help keeping me going strong. My buddies and I all decided to loose weight together so the competitiveness of it is what kept me going but now they both seemed to drop out or not really focus on our goal of reaching 180 lbs.

Two months ago I was at 225 lbs and right now I'm sitting at 187 lbs and the last week or so I've been skipping a day or two of my workouts and I know it's bad and I'm so close to my goal. I do weightlifting 3 hours a day along with 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. I feel off when I miss a workout in the week but sometimes I just don't have the drive if there's no one to compete against. Anyways just venting and hopefully this thread kicks my ass back into gear.

Here's my current stats.

3 hours??? Thats .. quite long. Youre either an athlete or lifting too light.

Oct 25, 2017

Here's my current stats.

Take a week off. Then go back to it. I doubt you need that much time to workout per session, especially if you're going 5 times a week.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
36 / M / 5'8"
Starting weight: 180 lb (at my heaviest, in Spring of 2017)
Current weight: 153 lb

Been doing keto on and off for 3 years, but I've sustained it now for several months along with IF and I honestly feel like this way of eating is the single greatest life change I've made as an adult. I can't emphasize enough how great my body feels now that I've completely removed sugar and other carbs from my diet. Lately I've been slowly drifting more towards a carnivore diet, but I still make it a point to eat spinach, asparagus, and broccoli as these are my favorite greens. While I initially switched to a ketogenic diet for weight loss reasons, I've decided to keep going due to the numerous other health benefits I've encountered. My mood and energy levels are now stable and consistent every day, my sleep has never been better, all of my inflammation and joint pain has disappeared, blood pressure is now back to normal, and I just generally feel better than I have in years. I've also started to incorporate meditation into my daily routine and I think that helps a lot with my mood and stress levels as well.

I will also say that I firmly believe that no one diet is a perfect fit for everyone. I've known many folks who have achieved similar outcomes to me by adopting plant-based/vegan diets which are high in complex carbs (but still low in sugar). Personally my body does not respond well to a fully plant-based diet, but I know it can work for others. Since I naturally eat a ton of sodium and foods that are rich enough in potassium/magnesium, I've never experienced any keto flu symptoms, which has made switching to this WOE much easier for me than it is for a lot of others.

Also, I have come to fully embrace fasting as a way to control weight and I also believe in the healing/restorative powers of fasting. I think a good portion of my noticeable health improvements are also due to consistent 16/8 fasting w/ an occasional 24 hour fast thrown in once a week or so. As a result I no longer get insane hunger cravings or the urge to binge eat.

Oct 25, 2017
36 / M / 5'8"

Been doing keto on and off for 3 years, but I've sustained it now for several months along with IF and I honestly feel like this way of eating is the single greatest life change I've made as an adult. I can't emphasize enough how great my body feels now that I've completely removed sugar and other carbs from my diet. Lately I've been slowly drifting more towards a carnivore diet, but I still make it a point to eat spinach, asparagus, and broccoli as these are my favorite greens. While I initially switched to a ketogenic diet for weight loss reasons, I've decided to keep going due to the numerous other health benefits I've encountered. My mood and energy levels are now stable and consistent every day, my sleep has never been better, all of my inflammation and joint pain has disappeared, blood pressure is now back to normal, and I just generally feel better than I have in years. I've also started to incorporate meditation into my daily routine and I think that helps a lot with my mood and stress levels as well.

I will also say that I firmly believe that no one diet is a perfect fit for everyone. I've known many folks who have achieved similar outcomes to me by adopting plant-based/vegan diets which are high in complex carbs (but still low in sugar). Personally my body does not respond well to a fully plant-based diet, but I know it can work for others. Since I naturally eat a ton of sodium and foods that are rich enough in potassium/magnesium, I've never experienced any keto flu symptoms, which has made switching to this WOE much easier for me than it is for a lot of others.

Also, I have come to fully embrace fasting as a way to control weight and I also believe in the healing/restorative powers of fasting. I think a good portion of my noticeable health improvements are also due to consistent 16/8 fasting w/ an occasional 24 hour fast thrown in once a week or so. As a result I no longer get insane hunger cravings or the urge to binge eat.

When you say you have done keto on and off for 3 years, did you follow a schedule or was that just a result of circumstances?

I am curious because I intend to do keto for 3 months on and then 3 months off to see how that works out. From what I understand, once your body is fat adapted it stays fat adapted while out of ketosis. So doing a rotation makes a lot of sense and may be what I end up doing. I don't want to cut carbs out for the rest of my life and I am sure even when I am out of my keto period I will continue to monitor my weight and carb intake. I think I'll end up starting that rotation once I reach my weight goal and maintain it though I am not sure quite yet when I will start it.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
When you say you have done keto on and off for 3 years, did you follow a schedule or was that just a result of circumstances?

I am curious because I intend to do keto for 3 months on and then 3 months off to see how that works out. From what I understand, once your body is fat adapted it stays fat adapted while out of ketosis. So doing a rotation makes a lot of sense and may be what I end up doing. I don't want to cut carbs out for the rest of my life and I am sure even when I am out of my keto period I will continue to monitor my weight and carb intake. I think I'll end up starting that rotation once I reach my weight goal and maintain it though I am not sure quite yet when I will start it.

Circumstances. Basically I fell into a pattern where I would do keto for spring/summer (admittedly to look less doughy without a shirt on) and fell off as it got into holiday season. In 2017 i went to Europe for 2 weeks in November and came back shortly before Thanksgiving, so I took a break until around Feb/March of 2018. Got back on the wagon until July of 2018 when I fell off because I started dating someone new and we were doing lots of dinner dates and I didn't want my diet to get in the way of sampling various menu items. I've been back to keto since early March and I'm down about 17 lbs.

Each time I fell off I gained some of the weight back, but not necessarily all of it. In my case I would fall back to shitty eating/drinking habits, which pulled me out of my fat-adapted state, and caused my bp and other health markers to trend in the wrong direction. I think if folks get out of ketosis but still somewhat-limit their carb intake (and continue avoiding sweets) it should be possible to maintain a stable weight. Also, throughout this process I rarely ever exercised, beyond just walking/hiking and an occasional social bike ride. This time around I'm planning to start incorporating weight training back into my routine once I get to my new goal weight of around 145 lbs or so.

I think whether you choose to stick to the diet permanently or cycle on and off, it can be effective. I'm able to lose a significant amount of weight in a 2-3 month period, so even if I flip back to a more carb-heavy diet I can still utilize keto as a tool for correcting weight gain in the event I creep back over my ideal BMI. However I'm going to try and stick to it as much as possible to continue to realize the other non-weight-related benefits. Even still, I love food and will continue to indulge when the occasion calls for it. The thing I like about keto is that it only takes 24-48 hours to get back into ketosis, so a cheat meal here or there won't undo all the progress at once. It's just a matter of not letting one cheat day turn into a cheat week / month. I think the same goes for just about any diet.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
36 / M / 5'8"

Welcome to the thread!

I've added you to the list for tracking purposes so you can follow along.

Last edited:

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Initial Weight (April 10): 258 lbs
April 17: 256
April 24: 252.6 lbs
May 1: 251.8
Current Goal: 205 lbs

Forgot to post yesterday. Really slacked on my diet and did a little too much snacking last week. Working out has been going great though. Feeling a lot better lately.

sirostro

Dec 8, 2017
April 26: 100,9 kg
May 3: 99,0 kg

I'm really really happy with this week and would't have thought to see double digits by now.

tsef

Oct 28, 2017
Last week I was 123.6kg and today 122.8kg.
Going the right way but almost looks like a statistical error. I need to do better in the coming week.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Alright, first full week in the books. Was a successful first week!

April 26th: 244lbs
May 3rd: 239.8lbs

Looking forward to keeping this progress up! And thanks again to everyone for sharing their awesome progress, it's really an amazing motivator!

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Late on signups, but I figure I'll post anyway for motivation. I've been doing an 18/6 IF diet for the past 3 months or so. I do have a scale that records my weigh ins, but I've only had it for 1 month. I weigh in every morning as soon as I wake up. I'll post them weekly on Saturday or Sunday after the Apr 26th weight in. That gets me closer to my actual weight since I wake up later and closer to the end of my fasting window (6 PM to 12 PM). My goal is 175 lbs. and my starting point was 212 lbs.

Apr 26: 195.8 lbs
Apr 28: 194.1 lbs

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
In for another round!

Start of the first challenge (1/8): 195.2 lbs
End of the first challenge (4/5): 169.8 lbs
Current weight (4/26): 165.4 lbs
Goal: 155 lbs

Setting a more modest goal this time. 155 feels like the right number, as it'll put me right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. If I do better than that, then great! A more long-term goal is to make 170 my new "upper bound", as I've blown way above that a few times in recent years and I want to be more cognizant of not doing that going forward.
4/26: 165.4 lbs
5/3: 162.8 lbs

This was a tough week. Carb overload towards the end of last week (three people brought donuts in to the office) and over the weekend put me in a big hole to start off w/ some serious water retention. Also had soda for the first time all year, which I kinda regret, but it had been so long since my last Coke Classic. Really had to work my butt off the past five days to make this a positive week overall, and I had next to no energy at the gym this morning. *sigh* Thankfully no donuts this week.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Okay, so: I got a new scale today, and it's very different from my old one, which was pretty bad.
I'd like to request my starting weight to be changed to today's weight, since the drop is otherwise... unexplainable.
I'm at 72.3kg now, which means that I clearly wasn't at 76 last week.

This weird scale even estimates my body fat, which is at 19.4%. So yeah, ways to go.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
4/26: 183lbs
5/3: 182lbs

rough week trying to get back into the swing of things after so long. i find after so much useless snacking my biggest issue is staying away from drinking my calories and snacking too much. i took the week to try and acclimate myself to a better CICO habit, and next week when im back on my regular work schedule ill incorporate some of my old exercise routines.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so: I got a new scale today, and it's very different from my old one, which was pretty bad.
I'd like to request my starting weight to be changed to today's weight, since the drop is otherwise... unexplainable.
I'm at 72.3kg now, which means that I clearly wasn't at 76 last week.

This weird scale even estimates my body fat, which is at 19.4%. So yeah, ways to go.
It mightn't have been that far off, actually. On a healthy diet, you tend to retain less water than on an unhealthy one. This is because foods made from scratch from fresh fruit/veg, grains and meats tend to have less salt in them than something that's processed. You can appear to have lost a whole bunch of weight all at once because of that, but it isn't all "real" fat loss.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not looking to join the contest which I think I'm late for anyway right? I just want to share my progress if you folks don't mind.

If my current scale is correct I'm currently around 223lb. I have been doing IF 8/16 I eliminated soda and eat more healthier foods but I've still eaten the occasional Chinese food takeout. I started weighing myself around March 13th and I was 237lb then. Seeing those numbers drop is a great feeling.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking to join the contest which I think I'm late for anyway right? I just want to share my progress if you folks don't mind.

If my current scale is correct I'm currently around 223lb. I have been doing IF 8/16 I eliminated soda and eat more healthier foods but I've still eaten the occasional Chinese food takeout. I started weighing myself around March 13th and I was 237lb then. Seeing those numbers drop is a great feeling.
Welcome to the thread! You're welcome to post your progress anyway and I'll add it to the tracking spreadsheet, even if you aren't officially part of the competition.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, weekly update! Man for the past week and a half I've been like gaining weight and then getting back to slightly above where I was at. Just flip flopping. It's been discouraging, but I was glad to see a drop this morning.

I've been keeping my activity and nutrition pretty well. Just gotta be patient. Almost into the 200s!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I was hoping that this week would have been better than the last but may day stuff got in the way big time. I'm not expecting a terribly positive result when I update on Monday, hopefully it's not too bad.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
You can do it guys, don't give up. I won't particularly be joining but I went from 115kg late last year to 89kg now. Trying to get to around 85 during summer and I'm all set.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
May 5: 191.9 lbs

This number looks better than it actually is. I decided to try a full 24 hour fast 1 day a week on the weekend, and this weigh in is near the end of that. I'm not sure if I'll continue doing that or not for social reasons, but if I have nothing going on I'll probably do it again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
May 5: 191.9 lbs

This number is better than it seems. I decided to try a full 24 hour fast 1 day a week on the weekend, and this weigh in is near the end of that. I'm not sure if I'll continue doing that or not for social reasons, but if I have nothing going on I'll probably do it again.

24 hour fasts every now and then are so wonderful.

Its not even about the weight loss aspect, the mental side of things are good enough :)

Its like pushing a big reset button.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit forgot I signed up for this.

Been out on a job site for the last week. Used to eat pretty crappy during these trips (hotel continental breakfast, lunch with customer, subway or something for dinner) but since I'm holed up in a hotel w/ an actual stove and full size fridge I figured i'd just make my dinners and sock away the perdiem. Been making giant salads for dinner w/ leafy greens, blue cheese, precooked chicken breasts, hard boiled eggs, mini tomatos and blueberries. Topped with some chipotle ranch sauce that was on sale. Everything put together it just about fills a 2L rubbermaid container that was in the cupboard, tastes way better than I was expecting, and basically costs me like $3 a night. Calories probably come out to ~500kcal on the high end.

They don't serve breakfast here and I've been doing IF till 12pm anyway so it's worked out well. Lunch I go out w/ the customers and have a big meal. Don't have a good scale to get on till I get home next week but the salad dinner thing's been both super easy and super cheap. Assuming I don't get thrown into a complete food desert I'll have to make this my go-to for future work trips as well.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update:
April 22, 122.2kg
April 29, 123.3kg
May 6, 122.8kg

I was expecting to stay about the same at best or gain a bit at worst based on how I couldn't really manage to stick with a regular diet due to not being home as much, but it just goes to show that guesswork gets you nowhere and I don't really really know how many calories and such are in a bunch of foods. Pleasantly surprised.