• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops forgot to post my update from Wednesday

April 11th: 200.2lbs
April 18th: 198.6lbs
April 30th: 200.2lbs
May 15th: 196.0lbs
May 22nd: 194.8lbs

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Down to 70.8kg this week, a nice round 0.5kg less.
While I'm really happy that I'm going down, I just realized none of my shorts fit me properly anymore... and I hate clothes shopping. But hey, maybe I'll get something that doesn't look dorky for a change.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I thought I'd "weigh in" on the discussion, since I've been on a change-my-life thing for the last few months. The first step was getting the right team member at work to free some of my time, so I can stop the 12 hour days and get some time back for cooking, shopping and exercising. Now that I have that in place, things started to work themselves out.

Now I'm exercising, which is helping me eat right. If I'm tired and sluggish, I eat crap. Now that I have energy, I'm better able curtail my desire for reward foods, which has always been my undoing. I've yo-yoed for a large percentage of my adult life and I 100% know what I need to do to keep my weight in check, and that's never stop exercising. Activity=feeling good=eating well.

I'm eating much more non-processed foods, and cutting out what I call the six-C foods:
  • Confectionery - includes candy/chocolates - cut out totally
  • Chips - covers hot chips/fries, wedges, tots and cold chips/crisps, corn chips and packaged savoury snacks- cut out 95%
  • Cookies - includes sweet and savoury biscuits (English definition) - cut out totally
  • Coke - covers all sodas /soft drinks - cut out totally
  • Cow juice - covers all dairy - cut out 95%
  • Cake - includes donuts and other sweet treats from the bakery - cut out 95%

Anyway, started at 118.6 kg, now at 112.2 as of this morning. Here is a graph because graphs are cool. I did set two targets, realistic target is 1.5kg a week, which is realistic at least for my current weight, but I'm not sweating it if I don't quite make that. The aggressive target was 2kg a week, but I don't see that as possible at this stage.

I like to weigh myself daily because fluctuations between weekly weigh-ins can be misleading and disheartening if they happen to coincide on the wrong day of the week, as I've lost as much as 1kg in a day and put on almost the same later on another day. Weighing daily also helps me know my body more - some days I'll urinate a lot compared to my water intake, and I know I'll probably lose weight, and some days I'll hardly urinate at all, despite taking in plenty of water, so I'll know I'm retaining water.

I also made sure I got scales renowned for accuracy - nothing worse than getting on scales, getting a reading, then re-weighing 30 seconds later for a different result.

sBuNcXK.png

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Things are going really well. I expected to reach my goal (176 pounds, right in the middle of healthy on the BMI chart) in September, but I'm way ahead of schedule.

April 15: 222 pounds (100.7 kg)
April 23: 219
May 1: 214
May 10: 213
May 20: 209
May 25: 205 (93 kg)

I also made sure I got scales renowned for accuracy - nothing worse than getting on scales, getting a reading, then re-weighing 30 seconds later for a different result.
I have cheap crap scales so I can never really trust them. I take several readings to find an average, but it still seems way off at times.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
This is sort of a periphery topic to these Weight Loss Challenge threads, but I've been wondering if there are enough people on ResetEra that use Garmins, Fitbits, etc., that there would be interest in a Fitness Tracker OT thread? I personally have a Garmin watch and it would be cool to invite others from this thread/message board to a ResetEra-specific group so that we could compete in step challenges, give each other additional encouragement, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll weigh in on the scale inconsistency issue (heh - weigh in)

Unless it's literally broken, just make sure you have it on a very flat surface. Use the same surface every time you weigh in. Also let the scale calibrate before each weigh in. I think they typically calibrate by letting it turn on, weigh nothing, then turn off. At least my cheapo one does. I don't think your body changes THAT fast that 30 seconds is going to change your weight.

---

On another topic, I learned today that exercise can increase water retention which is why my weight loss has been pretty bumpy and drops more when I don't work out. I realize water retention isn't bad. But I'd love to have smooth weight loss too.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I'll weigh in on the scale inconsistency issue (heh - weigh in)

Unless it's literally broken, just make sure you have it on a very flat surface. Use the same surface every time you weigh in. Also let the scale calibrate before each weigh in. I think they typically calibrate by letting it turn on, weigh nothing, then turn off. At least my cheapo one does. I don't think your body changes THAT fast that 30 seconds is going to change your weight.

---

On another topic, I learned today that exercise can increase water retention which is why my weight loss has been pretty bumpy and drops more when I don't work out. I realize water retention isn't bad. But I'd love to have smooth weight loss too.

Yeah, water retention is interesting - activity, carb intake, salt intake and just plain uncontrollable hormone fluctuations can affect it dramatically.

Regarding the scales - I just like accuracy as I have fun with the data. In reality anything will do in measuring trends as the afore mentioned water retention will make most readings unrealistic in terms of fat loss anyway. My cardio of choice is actually a stepper and since I started I believe I've added at least two kg of muscle (judging size and definition) but I can't really tell, so that throws more uncertainty into the mix.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Apr 26: 195.8 lbs
Apr 28: 194.1 lbs
May 5: 191.9 lbs
May 11: 190.2 lbs
May 19: 188.4 lbs
May 26: 187.9 lbs

Progress slowed down this week, but I'm okay with that since it's been going pretty fast lately.

Oct 25, 2017
My weigh in today is 188.5. I think the same as last week's, also after a night of drinking. The water loss is real, yesterday I was 191ish, but the day prior I fasted and exercised. Yesterday I only fasted and barely exercised. Today I am not fasting and no exercise. Tomorrow will do both, unless I drink tonight again.

Oct 25, 2017
Initial Weight(March/13): 103kg
Last Update(April/21): 97.7kg
Today(May/26): 96.9kg
Goal: 86.5kg

Time to finally update this, a bad event happened during late April so I haven't been as strict with my diet and exercise. I also had a surgery(right arm/nose surgery) so I kinda chilled while I recovered.

I'm happy to finally break the 96 barrier even if just by a little, time to continue!

Currently I'm doing 8/16 Intermittent Fasting everyday, running 40 minutes 4-5 times a week, and trying to sleep 8 hours as much as possible. I feel healthy and motivated, let's keep going!

Last edited:

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
I made a bet with my friend about not eating anything sugary (candy, other treats and sweet stuff) for a month, and I have to say that it has been the best thing I have done in years regarding weight loss.

My starting weight was arounds 112kg at the end of April (around 25.4) and it was 102,8 yesterday morning, on 26.5. And I have done NOTHING else except cut my sugar-intake and I have added berries to my diet instead.

My cravings are gone, I eat far less and I get full from much less. I think more clearly, I'm more active and my mood has improved immensely.

Sugar is a poison, guys!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update:
April 22, 122.2kg
April 29, 123.3kg
May 6, 122.8kg
May 13, 124.5kg
May 20, 123.6kg
May 27, 122.6kg

Almost back where I started, heh.
On the positive side the little I gained couple of weeks ago I managed to drop again pretty effortlessly in the end. Now I just gotta keep this pace.🏃

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I thought I'd "weigh in" on the discussion, since I've been on a change-my-life thing for the last few months. The first step was getting the right team member at work to free some of my time, so I can stop the 12 hour days and get some time back for cooking, shopping and exercising. Now that I have that in place, things started to work themselves out.

Now I'm exercising, which is helping me eat right. If I'm tired and sluggish, I eat crap. Now that I have energy, I'm better able curtail my desire for reward foods, which has always been my undoing. I've yo-yoed for a large percentage of my adult life and I 100% know what I need to do to keep my weight in check, and that's never stop exercising. Activity=feeling good=eating well.

I'm eating much more non-processed foods, and cutting out what I call the six-C foods:
  • Confectionery - includes candy/chocolates - cut out totally
  • Chips - covers hot chips/fries, wedges, tots and cold chips/crisps, corn chips and packaged savoury snacks- cut out 95%
  • Cookies - includes sweet and savoury biscuits (English definition) - cut out totally
  • Coke - covers all sodas /soft drinks - cut out totally
  • Cow juice - covers all dairy - cut out 95%
  • Cake - includes donuts and other sweet treats from the bakery - cut out 95%

Anyway, started at 118.6 kg, now at 112.2 as of this morning. Here is a graph because graphs are cool. I did set two targets, realistic target is 1.5kg a week, which is realistic at least for my current weight, but I'm not sweating it if I don't quite make that. The aggressive target was 2kg a week, but I don't see that as possible at this stage.

I like to weigh myself daily because fluctuations between weekly weigh-ins can be misleading and disheartening if they happen to coincide on the wrong day of the week, as I've lost as much as 1kg in a day and put on almost the same later on another day. Weighing daily also helps me know my body more - some days I'll urinate a lot compared to my water intake, and I know I'll probably lose weight, and some days I'll hardly urinate at all, despite taking in plenty of water, so I'll know I'm retaining water.

sBuNcXK.png

Super cool! I made a very similar graph when I started my journey.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Update 4:
10/4/2019: 237.4 lbs
29/4/2019: 234.4 lbs
6/5/2019: 234.6 lbs
13/5/2019: 232.4 lbs
28/5/2019: 235.2 lbs

God damn have I had a rough couple of weeks. Didn't have my scales and injured myself so couldn't go swimming. I'll get back into it from today now that I'm feeling better.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
159.2lb - going to another job site this week, prolly gonna pull the same salad dinner I did at the other place to save money and calories.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped checking in, but I'm still following along as best I can. My last check-in was the end of April and shortly afterward I had a Doctor's appointment where my Doctor said he considers me pre-diabetic and at risk if I don't cut back on sugar and lose some weight. I am currently 190.9lbs and am slowly working my way to the 170lb goal.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
One day earlier than usual since I probably won't get to my scale for the rest of the week:

April 11th: 145 kg
April 18th: 143.2 kg
April 25th: 143.2 kg
May 2nd: 144.5 kg
May 9th: 141.8 kg
May 16th: 140.5 kg
May 23rd: 138.7 kg
May 29th: 138.5 kg

Hrm, this is a little unfortunate as I thought I was doing well this week. It happens, I guess. Hopefully I'll be back to form next week.

On the upside, I have now lost exactly 15 kg this year so far! So that's cool at least

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Initial Weight (April 10): 258 lbs
April 17: 256 lbs
April 24: 252.6 lbs
May 1: 251.8 lbs
May 8: 246.8 lbs
May 15: 245 lbs
May 22: 243 lbs
May 29 (current): 239.6
Current Goal: 205 lbs

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a bet with my friend about not eating anything sugary (candy, other treats and sweet stuff) for a month, and I have to say that it has been the best thing I have done in years regarding weight loss.

My starting weight was arounds 112kg at the end of April (around 25.4) and it was 102,8 yesterday morning, on 26.5. And I have done NOTHING else except cut my sugar-intake and I have added berries to my diet instead.

My cravings are gone, I eat far less and I get full from much less. I think more clearly, I'm more active and my mood has improved immensely.

Sugar is a poison, guys!

preach it!! Sugar free here too. Best decision ever. Replaced refined and added sugar with berries and fruit. Its a life changer!

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this topic before but never entered it. I've been struggling with weight loss for some time having good stretches but loosing it. I have a recorded weight from early 2018 of 227 but after loosing my only job of 10 and 1/2 years hot me hard and I'm sure I both need back to around 260 (I'm around 5/6 29 years old). I guess around December of 2018 I started trying again I cut out soda and with my tax refund got an elliptical for my home since I had stopped making it out to the gym As that was right next to my old work and I don't drive. So far I do between 4-10 miles on it a few times a week and I have been watching what I eat. I managed to get down to around 234 (I don't really notice a difference but people have asked if I've lost weight for what it's worth.

Recently my weight has been in flux. I keep staying around 235-237. In the past I got stuck around 230 so this is a bit disheartening. I did recently download an app "lose weight app for men" (really dumb name but it's gotten me to do more exercise since it's walk you through it like Wii fit did). Can any one give me any advice? Should I be worried that my weight stopped dropping for a time? Is it possible I'm gaining muscle and that's making it look like I'm stuck?

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I've seen this topic before but never entered it. I've been struggling with weight loss for some time having good stretches but loosing it. I have a recorded weight from early 2018 of 227 but after loosing my only job of 10 and 1/2 years hot me hard and I'm sure I both need back to around 260 (I'm around 5/6 29 years old). I guess around December of 2018 I started trying again I cut out soda and with my tax refund got an elliptical for my home since I had stopped making it out to the gym As that was right next to my old work and I don't drive. So far I do between 4-10 miles on it a few times a week and I have been watching what I eat. I managed to get down to around 234 (I don't really notice a difference but people have asked if I've lost weight for what it's worth.

Recently my weight has been in flux. I keep staying around 235-237. In the past I got stuck around 230 so this is a bit disheartening. I did recently download an app "lose weight app for men" (really dumb name but it's gotten me to do more exercise since it's walk you through it like Wii fit did). Can any one give me any advice? Should I be worried that my weight stopped dropping for a time? Is it possible I'm gaining muscle and that's making it look like I'm stuck?

You've lost 25lb, which is great. There could be a bunch of reasons why you've hit the dreaded plateau.

1 - You may have lost muscle, either because distance cardio and calorie-deficit diets both can consume muscle, or because you're lighter now and you no longer need as much muscle to carry your body around. A loss in muscle mass will mean you need less calories to maintain that mass (muscle mass burns calories, even at rest). The effect of this is that whilst the calories you were consuming was suitable for weight loss at your previous muscle-mass, they may now be too much for weight-loss.

2 - As you say, you may be putting on muscle or retaining water or a combination of both. Do your clothes feel looser around your chest, arms, etc? Often clothes size is a better indication of fat loss.

3 - Your portion sizes may be creeping up or they're bigger than you expected. Some foods are extremely energy dense.

4 - All your glands have lined up in the normal hormone cycle and it may fix itself soon.

5 - Your body may be reducing it's metabolism to combat the weight loss. If you feel colder at night and can't warm up, this may be a sign.

Suggestions:

If you're not counting calories, do so accurately for a week or two. You may be surprised and may have to re-jig your eating habits.

If you're doing long cardio, perhaps try shorter, more intense workouts. HIIT is supposed to be great for weight loss as it raises metabolism for many hours afterwards. It also tends not to consume muscle. I've seen HIIT workouts for elliptical on youtube.

If you are eating very small levels of calories, try a nice greasy burger or something once a week.

You could try intermittant fasting. Bascially miss a meal and any snacks for 16 hours give or take. I'm actually doing this now; I have a decent lunch and skip dinner, but a lot of people skip breakfast.

If you know what you're eating, and have confidence that you have a reasonable calorie deficet, then you just may need to perservere for another week or two. Don't get discouraged and comfort eat! Try to cut out processed foods as much as possible - after missing my chips, snacks and such, I no longer crave them as much. I had some pineapple today and it was amazing. Learn to love herbs/spices.

Oct 25, 2017

90-95% of weight loss is not based on your exercise. Most of your calories burned happen outside the gym. That said, it could be simple water retention that is keeping your scales up. Muscle requires water to repair. Maybe you're not drinking enough water so your body clings on to the water you do take in. In this case I wouldn't really worry about it. My weight loss has been very bumpy, "stalling" for weeks at a time basically. I think I am 2 weeks at 188-189 now. Before that I was like 3 weeks at 194. And before that I was stuck at 200.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You've lost 25lb, which is great. There could be a bunch of reasons why you've hit the dreaded plateau.

1 - You may have lost muscle, either because distance cardio and calorie-deficit diets both can consume muscle, or because you're lighter now and you no longer need as much muscle to carry your body around. A loss in muscle mass will mean you need less calories to maintain that mass (muscle mass burns calories, even at rest). The effect of this is that whilst the calories you were consuming was suitable for weight loss at your previous muscle-mass, they may now be too much for weight-loss.

2 - As you say, you may be putting on muscle or retaining water or a combination of both. Do your clothes feel looser around your chest, arms, etc? Often clothes size is a better indication of fat loss.

3 - Your portion sizes may be creeping up or they're bigger than you expected. Some foods are extremely energy dense.

4 - All your glands have lined up in the normal hormone cycle and it may fix itself soon.

5 - Your body may be reducing it's metabolism to combat the weight loss. If you feel colder at night and can't warm up, this may be a sign.

Suggestions:

If you're not counting calories, do so accurately for a week or two. You may be surprised and may have to re-jig your eating habits.

If you're doing long cardio, perhaps try shorter, more intense workouts. HIIT is supposed to be great for weight loss as it raises metabolism for many hours afterwards. It also tends not to consume muscle. I've seen HIIT workouts for elliptical on youtube.

If you are eating very small levels of calories, try a nice greasy burger or something once a week.

You could try intermittant fasting. Bascially miss a meal and any snacks for 16 hours give or take. I'm actually doing this now; I have a decent lunch and skip dinner, but a lot of people skip breakfast.

If you know what you're eating, and have confidence that you have a reasonable calorie deficet, then you just may need to perservere for another week or two. Don't get discouraged and comfort eat! Try to cut out processed foods as much as possible - after missing my chips, snacks and such, I no longer crave them as much. I had some pineapple today and it was amazing. Learn to love herbs/spices.

I guess I was doing the fasting stuff without realizing it. I work 2-11 and will at times not get anything before hand. I'll try and do that more. The hiit seems interesting since I am able to Sprint rather quickly but one of my goals (that is more a dream) is to run the Rocky route 😂. As for looking at my clothes I have always been a fan of baggy but I can probably check my work pants and belt.

90-95% of weight loss is not based on your exercise. Most of your calories burned happen outside the gym. That said, it could be simple water retention that is keeping your scales up. Muscle requires water to repair. Maybe you're not drinking enough water so your body clings on to the water you do take in. In this case I wouldn't really worry about it. My weight loss has been very bumpy, "stalling" for weeks at a time basically. I think I am 2 weeks at 188-189 now. Before that I was like 3 weeks at 194. And before that I was stuck at 200.

I feel like I've been drinking more since it's getting warmer but I've also been sweating more on the elliptical and not drinking extra there so that could be it.

And thanks to both of ya for the support, I really don't want to fall off again after getting so close to a new record.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Well I weighed it at 230.8 this morning so I believe that's a gain for me from the first weigh in. I have to start doing better.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I'm hoping to get through the 110kg barrier this weekend or early next week. I have rewards I'm going to buy myself at the 110, 100 and 90kg marks :D Goal is maintenance between 85 and 90.

And thanks to both of ya for the support, I really don't want to fall off again after getting so close to a new record.

No prob - I've yo-yoed a few times, so I know all about stalls. Losing weight has never been my issue, but rather keeping it off.

For me, I simply MUST keep exercising because everything else is built around that. I think I have the right combination in place now, in terms of routine, self-knowledge and equipment, so I'm hopeful this is the last time.

It took me at least 20 attempts to give up smoking first time, and then I relapsed a few years later and it took me another several attempts to quit then. I see food as no different, although much more difficult, but I'll keep plugging away.

You're battling the areas of your mind where your conscious mind doesn't have access to, at least directly. A lot of the time, "reasoning" is actually the conscious mind trying to rationalise the sub-conscious thoughts that come from somewhere deeper. "I'll quit smoking tomorrow...I'll finish after this pack....if one cheat day is ok, then two will be ok...I've eaten half a pack, fuck it, I'll finish the rest" It's all just bullshit I feed myself to justify my decisions. You have to try to analyse yourself, your triggers, your habits and behaviours and somehow get those parts aligned. For me, I believe a certain level of physical activity helps me do that, as well as staying away from certain foods, maybe forever. If I can't control myself to eat just one cookie, then I'll just have none.

That's my take on it anyway. Sorry to use this space as my personal diary! (soz, not soz)

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Water retention is a real thing and unpredictable.

Keep in mind that boxers can lose 5-10 pounds of water weight in a 24-48hr period when trying to make weight for a fight and then gain 10-15 pounds (sometimes more) of water weight for the fight the night after.

This is why I don't weigh myself every morning, I've gone to doing it once a week.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Check it yo, 70.1kg today, down from 70.8kg last week.
It's been a very active week for me, I'll miss running home from work once I move next week... but I'm moving to an area with lovely running opportunities, and I'm still in "bike to work" range.
I'm thinking of increasing my caloric intake again now that I'm more active, because honestly, losing more than 0.5kg a week almost seems unnecessarily fast. Then again, with water retention and all, who knows how much of what I lost since last week is actual body mass.
I'm feeling great, so at least on that front, I'm good.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
My biggest issue right now is just not getting concistent exercise. Like, I need to keep convincing myself that yeah, do the thing you idiot it's good for you, don't try to make up excuses.
Uneven daily rhythm isn't helping at all of course. But I'll get there, this is the most I've probably done towards improving my health in the past 20 years or so and I actually feel like I can do it this time.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably went too far in losing weight. I was roughly 190 pounds in April and I'm down to 160 pounds now.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Started on Huel a week today and watched what I eat for main meals
26th of May I was 14st 11lb and this morning 14st 6lb
I have kept cravings down, and last time I lost weight I never had a cheat day.
Is it worth a little cheat now and then?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Is it worth a little cheat now and then?
With 1 cheat day a week and roughly 1500kcal a day otherwise, I lose about 500g weekly. I sometimes even cheat a bit more too tbh.
To me, it's 100% worth it. I wanna enjoy a pizza sometimes, or a nice curry with sides, or a large Schnitzel with fries.
As long as you don't do that "oh well, now I might as well cheat the whole week" BS, I think there's no issue.
I personally find it even helps with cravings. "Nah, I'll just enjoy it on my day off" is what keeps my freezer full of the overwhelming quantity of ice cream that's in there.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
With 1 cheat day a week and roughly 1500kcal a day otherwise, I lose about 500g weekly. I sometimes even cheat a bit more too tbh.
To me, it's 100% worth it. I wanna enjoy a pizza sometimes, or a nice curry with sides, or a large Schnitzel with fries.
As long as you don't do that "oh well, now I might as well cheat the whole week" BS, I think there's no issue.
I am under 1800k a day that was the goal the UA app set for my target weight and I try and sit under it.
Huel is helping control things.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Sorry, what's huel?
I should add I'm fairly short, so 1500 isn't thaaat low for me. Just for reference, when hearing me talk about my cheat day experience.
Its a meal replacement drink and a good one, like soylent but I cant have that due to contents.
I am 5.8 ish and was 30 stone and got down to 13 and slipped up a bit and 2 shakes a day and a meal is controlling it.
But so is counting the k's

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't eat much. Usually one meal a day. That's it. No idea if this is sustainable or healthy.

Unlikely cause the body can only comfortably burn a certain amount of fat a day. That's why they say losing 1-2 lbs a week is best, unless you have way more body fat than that can be increased simply because you have more volume.

I've seen posts on reddit where they do extreme fasting and lose similar amounts of weight. It makes me wonder if they ever keep it off or what the negatives for them actually are.

I personally think the goal should be getting healthy and losing weight because you're healthy and not losing weight in order to be healthy. So I'm not a fan of crash dieting and I think OMAD should be used sparingly.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unlikely cause the body can only comfortably burn a certain amount of fat a day. That's why they say losing 1-2 lbs a week is best, unless you have way more body fat than that can be increased simply because you have more volume.

I've seen posts on reddit where they do extreme fasting and lose similar amounts of weight. It makes me wonder if they ever keep it off or what the negatives for them actually are.

I personally think the goal should be getting healthy and losing weight because you're healthy and not losing weight in order to be healthy. So I'm not a fan of crash dieting and I think OMAD should be used sparingly.

The thing is, most people losing weight the normal way end up gaining it all back too. There is no right way to do this, even the gastric surgery path has a high chance of failure.

(As an aside, I do disagree with OMAD not being sustainable long term, its perfectly natural and more normal than we know. The whole idea of 3 meals a day is a modern invention from developed nations. There are people right now doing OMAD because its the normal thing for them and are probably healthier than the average person.)

I'm fine with big caloric deficits if you can sustain them and its not a risk to your health while doing them (think an already super skinny person). You give yourself a shot at attempting to maintain this new lower weight and if it fails it fails, all other diets have a high chance of failing too. All it takes is that one time where you nail it and can sustain healthy weight maintenance for the rest of your life. I think that is what we're all ultimately looking for.

Now this is not necessarily directed at you, just something I've had to deal with recently from people scolding me. Your metabolism will never reach zero, or be permanently damaged like some people tell themselves, that is literally impossible unless there is some other disorder or disease involved. Metabolism slows down a bit when you eat less yes, it also gradually slows down as you lose weight, but I feel this is just normal and we've misunderstood this into thinking we have to eat close to 2000 calories a day in order to keep a good metabolism. The whole idea of your body just going into starvation mode and not burning any fat is nonsense, from an evolutionary stand point it makes zero sense, and from personal experience (you can PM me and I can go into more detail) I find it to be wrong.

tldr: we are all looking for what works for us, and I try not to judge too hard if someone is trying OMAD or a diet I don't agree with or not used to, or eating what we consider low amounts of calories. All I will do is remind them to try and eat healthy foods and to watch out if the diet makes them feel unhealthy at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So I've never liked taking pics of myself because of the way I look. As a joke I wore a tiny backpack at work and was surprised at the way I looked now compared to a couple of months ago. I lurked these weight loss threads for motivation and am now 2 lbs from my goal of 180 down from 230 lbs. I felt like giving up a month ago cause I was tired and burnt out and thanks to some helpful replies in this thread I took a week break and got back to it.

I still don't like looking at myself in the mirror but I'm slowly getting there 👍 Thanks for the motivation everyone, I hope you all get your weight to where you want it to be.
I was 187 in the pic, I'm 182 now.
IMG-20190519-011353-241.jpg
20190602-014247.jpg

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So I've never liked taking pics of myself because of the way I look. As a joke I wore a tiny backpack at work and was surprised at the way I looked now compared to a couple of months ago. I lurked these weight loss threads for motivation and am now 2 lbs from my goal of 180 down from 230 lbs. I felt like giving up a month ago cause I was tired and burnt out and thanks to some helpful replies in this thread I took a week break and got back to it.

I still don't like looking at myself in the mirror but I'm slowly getting there 👍 Thanks for the motivation everyone, I hope you all get your weight to where you want it to be.
20190602-014247.jpg

You look great man!

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
So, I'm way late to the party here, because sometimes I'm really shy about this stuff with my anxiety disorder, and sometimes I'm not so here goes.

I've been way up and down with weight loss, but I've been working hard on it. At my highest I was up over 275 and then went down to 180, then bounced all the way back up again around 2008-10. I started recording all of this at 252 lbs on January 4th of this year, a couple days after breaking up with my Ex. We were together for 5 years and it was a really toxic relationship at times and it took a toll.

I've been weighing myself every day since that day and recording it on my wall calendar. I also started using my semi-recumbent exercise bike almost every single day since then and usually twice a day and mark it down as well. I do that for 45-50 minutes and that's about all I can take. I have Nerve Damage and Neuropathy problems and I can't get out much and I'm basically in constant pain that never goes away. Wearing shoes, socks, and stuff on my lower legs can be agony. Sitting in a movie theater for hours is *fun* let me tell you.

I also smoke a shitload of marijuana to take the edge off all of this, because no one (myself included) wants me to take the amount of opiates I would need and I've been through the entire medication list they had, but sadly they're just not effective on me, even the maximum dosage allowed of Gabapentin. Unfortunately, that can be really at odds with weight loss and dieting, but I've managed it extremely well these past 5 months.

So, here's my progress since then:

January 4th: 252.0
January 13th: 250.6
January 20th: 249.2
January 27th: 247.2

February 3rd: 244.4
February 10th: 243.0
February 17th: 238.0
February 24th: 235.4

March 3rd: 236.6
March 10th: 234.4
March 17th: 232.0
March 24th: 233.6
March 31st: 234.8

April 7th: 231.0
April 14th: 234.0
April 21st: 228.8
April 28th: 226.6

May 5th: 222.8
May 12th: 221.4
May 19th: 219.2
May 26th: 217.4

June 1st: 215.2

Man, that feels good. Those months just flew by too.

My first big goal is getting under that 200 mark and then back down to 180 again. I think ultimately my end goal is going to be around 160 lbs. I'm just a hair under 5'7 (169 cm) and that'd be a good weight for my frame.

So, way late for any contest stuff, but I'm feeling pretty good about the work I've done and would like to follow along!

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I'm glad that I've managed to lose most of the weight I gained over the last couple of weeks. Some of that reported weight gain might have been water or something else. Hopefully will be back on track with my weigh in tomorrow.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017

20190602-014247.jpg
You look fantastic, mate! Congratulations!
So, I'm way late to the party here, because sometimes I'm really shy about this stuff with my anxiety disorder, and sometimes I'm not so here goes.

I've been way up and down with weight loss, but I've been working hard on it. At my highest I was up over 275 and then went down to 180, then bounced all the way back up again around 2008-10. I started recording all of this at 252 lbs on January 4th of this year, a couple days after breaking up with my Ex. We were together for 5 years and it was a really toxic relationship at times and it took a toll.

I've been weighing myself every day since that day and recording it on my wall calendar. I also started using my semi-recumbent exercise bike almost every single day since then and usually twice a day and mark it down as well. I do that for 45-50 minutes and that's about all I can take. I have Nerve Damage and Neuropathy problems and I can't get out much and I'm basically in constant pain that never goes away. Wearing shoes, socks, and stuff on my lower legs can be agony. Sitting in a movie theater for hours is *fun* let me tell you.

I also smoke a shitload of marijuana to take the edge off all of this, because no one (myself included) wants me to take the amount of opiates I would need and I've been through the entire medication list they had, but sadly they're just not effective on me, even the maximum dosage allowed of Gabapentin. Unfortunately, that can be really at odds with weight loss and dieting, but I've managed it extremely well these past 5 months.

So, here's my progress since then:

January 4th: 252.0
January 13th: 250.6
January 20th: 249.2
January 27th: 247.2

February 3rd: 244.4
February 10th: 243.0
February 17th: 238.0
February 24th: 235.4

March 3rd: 236.6
March 10th: 234.4
March 17th: 232.0
March 24th: 233.6
March 31st: 234.8

April 7th: 231.0
April 14th: 234.0
April 21st: 228.8
April 28th: 226.6

May 5th: 222.8
May 12th: 221.4
May 19th: 219.2
May 26th: 217.4

June 1st: 215.2

Man, that feels good. Those months just flew by too.

My first big goal is getting under that 200 mark and then back down to 180 again. I think ultimately my end goal is going to be around 160 lbs. I'm just a hair under 5'7 (169 cm) and that'd be a good weight for my frame.

So, way late for any contest stuff, but I'm feeling pretty good about the work I've done and would like to follow along!
Welcome to the thread! I've added you to the spreadsheet and backdated your progress to near the start of the challenge.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Update 5:
10/4/2019: 237.4 lbs
29/4/2019: 234.4 lbs
6/5/2019: 234.6 lbs
13/5/2019: 232.4 lbs
28/5/2019: 235.2 lbs
3/6/2019: 231.2 lbs

A couple more pounds and I'll be back to where I was 3 or so years ago. Back when I worked a more physical job and wasn't dealing with some of the depressing shit I am today. Feeling good, even if I am losing weight a little bit slower than I'd like.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I went under 110kg today - felt nice. Progress below.

There's a 5.6km run coming up at the end of October and I want to run it, because a lot of people from work run it and I want to join in, but I only want to start training when I'm under 90kg to be easier on my joints (I currently use a stepper-elliptical for cardio). It would be nice if I could get two full months of running training. My cardio is getting pretty strong, so I think I'll be ok running - I used to do it a lot so I know what I'm in for, but that was 10 years ago.

HAQBq3t.png

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update:
April 22, 122.2kg
April 29, 123.3kg
May 6, 122.8kg
May 13, 124.5kg
May 20, 123.6kg
May 27, 122.6kg
June 3, 122.8kg

Week went well but weekend not so much. 120kg line seems to be my nemesis.