• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
With 1 cheat day a week and roughly 1500kcal a day otherwise, I lose about 500g weekly. I sometimes even cheat a bit more too tbh.
To me, it's 100% worth it. I wanna enjoy a pizza sometimes, or a nice curry with sides, or a large Schnitzel with fries.
As long as you don't do that "oh well, now I might as well cheat the whole week" BS, I think there's no issue.
I personally find it even helps with cravings. "Nah, I'll just enjoy it on my day off" is what keeps my freezer full of the overwhelming quantity of ice cream that's in there.
I had a bit more Sunday and kept within 1800 Sat.
Was 14st11 this morning, but back on the huel today and back to basics with no cravings so far, so maybe it worked to get it out of my system

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, most people losing weight the normal way end up gaining it all back too. There is no right way to do this, even the gastric surgery path has a high chance of failure.

(As an aside, I do disagree with OMAD not being sustainable long term, its perfectly natural and more normal than we know. The whole idea of 3 meals a day is a modern invention from developed nations. There are people right now doing OMAD because its the normal thing for them and are probably healthier than the average person.)

I'm fine with big caloric deficits if you can sustain them and its not a risk to your health while doing them (think an already super skinny person). You give yourself a shot at attempting to maintain this new lower weight and if it fails it fails, all other diets have a high chance of failing too. All it takes is that one time where you nail it and can sustain healthy weight maintenance for the rest of your life. I think that is what we're all ultimately looking for.

Now this is not necessarily directed at you, just something I've had to deal with recently from people scolding me. Your metabolism will never reach zero, or be permanently damaged like some people tell themselves, that is literally impossible unless there is some other disorder or disease involved. Metabolism slows down a bit when you eat less yes, it also gradually slows down as you lose weight, but I feel this is just normal and we've misunderstood this into thinking we have to eat close to 2000 calories a day in order to keep a good metabolism. The whole idea of your body just going into starvation mode and not burning any fat is nonsense, from an evolutionary stand point it makes zero sense, and from personal experience (you can PM me and I can go into more detail) I find it to be wrong.

tldr: we are all looking for what works for us, and I try not to judge too hard if someone is trying OMAD or a diet I don't agree with or not used to, or eating what we consider low amounts of calories. All I will do is remind them to try and eat healthy foods and to watch out if the diet makes them feel unhealthy at all.

I don't think you're really hitting on my concerns at all here. Having the willpower to maintain a caloric deficit? Sure. I'm not worried about that, metabolism, or sustainability or anything you brought up. I also never said OMAD was not sustainable long term, I said you shouldn't do it every day and that is based on personal experience as well as opinions of nutritionists I've read and heard on the subject.

As I said, my primary concern is on the health side. Additionally, you're not even burning fat at one point. There will likely always be some lean mass loss but you're at a high risk of more when you're not eating enough protein or calories in general.

I do think people should be concerned about long term sustainability, and I mean after the weight goal is achieved, but that's personal to each person. Those things you brought up are real issues imo but those are somewhat personal decisions. I do think there is a "healthy" way to lose weight and an "unhealthy" way to lose weight though I wouldn't call one right or wrong, that's a personal decision. Personally I ask the question of whether I want to lose weight or be healthy and to me there is no point in being low weight if I am sacrificing health to get there.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
After fearing I had gained a few kilos over the last two weeks due to a fair number of social events and eating a little differently, I hadn't weighed myself for that period since I thought it would be a little demotivating to stay in the 80's, today I weighed in at 78.1 kg.

That honestly blew my mind a little due to the things I mentioned, but also because it marks 50 kg lost on the dot since May 7th of last year. I hope all of you guys accomplish your goals and hang in there, this has been a crazy year and I'm happy I took the plunge.

Oct 25, 2017
A thought about body fat calculator. As I have lost weight my neck has thinned out some. According to the calculator a thicker neck presumably means more lean mass, so as I have lost some width on my neck, the calculator concludes I have gained fat and not lost it. And another calculator which uses wrist/forearm measurements thinks I am 5-7% less bodyfat than the first.

After fearing I had gained a few kilos over the last two weeks due to a fair number of social events and eating a little differently, I hadn't weighed myself for that period since I thought it would be a little demotivating to stay in the 80's, today I weighed in at 78.1 kg.

That honestly blew my mind a little due to the things I mentioned, but also because it marks 50 kg lost on the dot since May 7th of last year. I hope all of you guys accomplish your goals and hang in there, this has been a crazy year and I'm happy I took the plunge.

Weight loss is weird and definitely not one size fits all. When I was stuck at a certain weight for like 3 weeks, I took a "cheat" week. Every day I ate the same kinds of foods but I simply increased my caloric intake by 30%. That's when I finally started to lose weight again. Now I try to fit 1 maybe even 2 cheat days per week, usually spent on drinking nights.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
April 11th: 145 kg
April 18th: 143.2 kg
April 25th: 143.2 kg
May 2nd: 144.5 kg
May 9th: 141.8 kg
May 16th: 140.5 kg
May 23rd: 138.7 kg
May 29th: 138.5 kg
June 6th: 136.4 kg

That's more like it. I'm guessing I must have had some extra water retention going on last week. Either way, feels good :)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Rehashed post from a different thread, since I'm curious and it's kinda related to this challenge:
Isn't calorie counting much harder in the imperial system? Maybe it's not, but it appears to be, at first glance.
If I know the kcal value per 100g, I can easily calculate/estimate everything, mostly in my head.
Like, say you're making some pasta. I like a decent 120g (before cooking) portion, it's 1.2x380kcal.
How would imperialists handle that?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
73.2kg today, was 72.9 on Monday but hoping for a good weekend and to push forwards into the 60s for the first time ever. Over the last few weeks i've hit a "normal" BMI of under 25 and a normal weight of under 73.3kg (admittedly just about hanging in there but i'll take it!)

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checking in. I have had a difficult last few weeks with self-sabotage and trying to justify indulging, but I have managed to course-correct after every 'blip' and can say I am .2 away from my July 1st goal. I weighed in at 230.2lbs this morning.

Oct 27, 2017
Weighed in this morning at 314.2! Last week I was 316.6 and I really thought I was gonna be at a stand still. Somehow, despite my best efforts to screw myself over, I've lost almost 2.5 pounds. Just need to be all the more vigilant going forward.

So here's the latest. I forgot about this thread, but all the same I was at a stand-still for quite some time anyways. Feeling pretty happy to see a significant dip.

My short-term goal is to be under 300 by my birthday on July 31. I'll be turning 40. I was at least 360 when I started trying again in January. I think I'll make it but I'm concerned I'll hit a slow spot again.

Truth be told, I could have been watching my intake better.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Bit late because of I visited family... Currently weighing in at 69.3kg, and enjoying not carrying all that extra fat with me through this horrid heat

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Came back for the weekend from a job trip. 156.4! Been cheating out on per diem by making sandwiches for lunch and salad for dinner. I'm richer and feeling several lb lighter.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Initial Weight (April 10): 258 lbs
April 17: 256 lbs
April 24: 252.6 lbs
May 1: 251.8 lbs
May 8: 246.8 lbs
May 15: 245 lbs
May 22: 243 lbs
May 29: 239.6 lbs
June 5 (current): 239.8 lbs
Current Goal: 205 lbs

Been under some stress lately, so I haven't been eating great.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
What effect does drinking chia seeds with lemon have? Apparently you can lose a lot of weight taking it? I'm also taking Fire Bullets that they sell on amazon.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
After finally dipping below 110kg, three days of solid water retention lifted me 1.7 kg, but I still managed to lose 0.3kg for the week. I hope I don't go above 110 again (ever). It's a little annoying to get below a milestone and then bounce off it, but it is what it is.

I've also started to attempt chin-ups, since I've challenged a friend at work to see who can swing across a set of monkey bars at the beginning of July. For her it's about grip strength and for me it's about grip strength plus losing as much weight as possible beforehand. There's a small wager involved, but mainly it's about pushing each other. Ideally we both can do it. I can do two almost chin-ups, which is bad, but that's better than where I was two weeks ago.

TYXTg1O.png

Rehashed post from a different thread, since I'm curious and it's kinda related to this challenge:
Isn't calorie counting much harder in the imperial system? Maybe it's not, but it appears to be, at first glance.
If I know the kcal value per 100g, I can easily calculate/estimate everything, mostly in my head.
Like, say you're making some pasta. I like a decent 120g (before cooking) portion, it's 1.2x380kcal.
How would imperialists handle that?

What's this calorie you speak of? You should be using kilojoule for true team-SI :p

The US uses grams, etc, on food labelling. A lot of Americans (at least here) seem to be happily using and mixing multiple units scales, be it mass, length, volume etc.

From what I just read, however, whilst US nutrition labels provide calorie value by serving size, they don't give it per 100g (or another standard), which would be the bigger challenge from what I can see, as different products would have different serving sizes.

What effect does drinking chia seeds with lemon have? Apparently you can lose a lot of weight taking it? I'm also taking Fire Bullets that they sell on amazon.

Whilst high in fibre and protein, which could curb your appetite, I'd be very sceptical of any other claims. You should still consider the macro-nutritional content of these as they're quite energy dense, although you don't typically eat much per serve (2 tablespoons). Saying that, if you take the latter caveat into consideration, there will be no harm in trying.

Last edited:

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Update 6:
10/4/2019: 237.4 lbs
29/4/2019: 234.4 lbs
6/5/2019: 234.6 lbs
13/5/2019: 232.4 lbs
28/5/2019: 235.2 lbs
3/6/2019: 231.2 lbs
10/6/2019: 228.2 lbs

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Update:
April 22, 122.2kg
April 29, 123.3kg
May 6, 122.8kg
May 13, 124.5kg
May 20, 123.6kg
May 27, 122.6kg
June 3, 122.8kg
June 10, 121.1kg

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Got caught up in E3 yesterday! I keep track every day to keep myself going since it's what works for me.

June 2nd-9th: 215.2, 216.8, 214.2, 214.2, 213.4, 214.0, 213.0, 214.0

June 10th: 213.2 lbs

Just 1lb more for that 40 lbs since I started in January mark.

Went a bit light on the exercise bike the past couple days, my left knee's been in bad shape so need to lay off it a little.

Really, really badly have just wanted to eat a bunch of junk while watching E3, but I've been restraining myself pretty well.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
hey folks. i'm glad to see so many doing well with your weights and healthier selves!

i recently started my journey at the beginning of march. i was around 255-260lbs and as of last friday i'm now down to 225lbs!

been going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and taking walks/doing sledgehammer workouts on my off days. it's felt really nice when people outside of myself notice the changes and keeps me motivated. this is a bit embarassing but here are my photos from around christmas and a picture from last week at the gym:

O2Y9fwP.jpg

jzPlBOv.jpg

zCMa2fX.jpg

i hope to get to around 200-205 during the fall, just gotta keep motivated. i hope everyone keeps at it!

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
hey folks. i'm glad to see so many doing well with your weights and healthier selves!

i recently started my journey at the beginning of march. i was around 255-260lbs and as of last friday i'm now down to 225lbs!

been going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and taking walks/doing sledgehammer workouts on my off days. it's felt really nice when people outside of myself notice the changes and keeps me motivated. this is a bit embarassing but here are my photos from around christmas and a picture from last week at the gym:

O2Y9fwP.jpg

jzPlBOv.jpg

zCMa2fX.jpg

i hope to get to around 200-205 during the fall, just gotta keep motivated. i hope everyone keeps at it!
Face gains are best gains!

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First time posting in this thread, haven't been doing continual updates or anything but when I started in March I was 254lb and as of this morning I'm at 221lb.

Hoping to get to 205ish by mid-September which seems like it should be attainable. Not here to do anything officially but seems like it'd be nice to just post something somewhere :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
First time posting in this thread, haven't been doing continual updates or anything but when I started in March I was 254lb and as of this morning I'm at 221lb.

Hoping to get to 205ish by mid-September which seems like it should be attainable. Not here to do anything officially but seems like it'd be nice to just post something somewhere :P
I can add you to the spreadsheet if you like?

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017

Hey man, great progress! We're basically on the same path, so I look forward to seeing where we're both at come September :D

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Initial Weight (April 10): 258 lbs
April 17: 256 lbs
April 24: 252.6 lbs
May 1: 251.8 lbs
May 8: 246.8 lbs
May 15: 245 lbs
May 22: 243 lbs
May 29: 239.6 lbs
June 5: 239.8 lbs
June 12 (current): 237.8 lbs
Current Goal: 205 lbs

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
April 11th: 145 kg
April 18th: 143.2 kg
April 25th: 143.2 kg
May 2nd: 144.5 kg
May 9th: 141.8 kg
May 16th: 140.5 kg
May 23rd: 138.7 kg
May 29th: 138.5 kg
June 6th: 136.4 kg
June 13th: 136 kg

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Hey guys, this seems like the OT for weight loss, is that right?

I could really use some pointers and feedback, along with some guidance. I started doing intermittent fasting around may 4th and I'm.not sure if my progress is sound or not. I don't trust scale tech in general, especially not my own cheap machine, so I've started using a scale at work that prints out all kinds of embarrassing stats about my body.

Admittedly, cutting down on junk food is very difficult for me, but I've managed to eat below my deficit line (1880kcal according to that work scale) to a varying degree and I've supposedly lost 4.8 kilos in just over a month by skipping breakfast. However, 1.8 kilos of those are muscles, if the machine can be trusted and that scares me a little. I don't do any sort of exercise yet, I want to lose more weight first and it aeems this OP confirms that to be a good idea.

As for my weight, I moved to a new city last september and got a new job and lost my girlfriend of 5 years, so I probably stress and comfort ate a lot of junk food. Combined with a shitty night job before that, I was almost touching 100 kilos I think, at least 95+. I've always been a skinny guy, now turned skinny fat, with most of it stuck around my belly.

Anyway, I somehow dropped down to around 90 without realizing it, and that's when I started researching how to do weight loss properly for the first time in my life so I'm a complete newb at this. For various health concerns of mine, giving up is not an option and I agree with the OP about these programs resembling min maxing in an rpg xD So as a scientific guy, this is a neat and necessary experiment.

I have two pieces of paper with stats about my body, and I could use some pointers on how to interpret my progress so far, before and after a month of fasting.

I intend to keep doing this intermittent fasting for an additional two months, for the sake of experimentation, but I'm not sure I can live without breakfast forever. My initial/current goal is to go from 90 to 75 kilos, but I'm not sure that's a good goal. My body fat percentage has supposedly gone from 29.9% to 28%, which I found disturbingly slow (and a lot, I had no idea). Should I be concerned?

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, this seems like the OT for weight loss, is that right?

I could really use some pointers and feedback, along with some guidance. I started doing intermittent fasting around may 4th and I'm.not sure if my progress is sound or not. I don't trust scale tech in general, especially not my own cheap machine, so I've started using a scale at work that prints out all kinds of embarrassing stats about my body.

Admittedly, cutting down on junk food is very difficult for me, but I've managed to eat below my deficit line (1880kcal according to that work scale) to a varying degree and I've supposedly lost 4.8 kilos in just over a month by skipping breakfast. However, 1.8 kilos of those are muscles, if the machine can be trusted and that scares me a little. I don't do any sort of exercise yet, I want to lose more weight first and it aeems this OP confirms that to be a good idea.

As for my weight, I moved to a new city last september and got a new job and lost my girlfriend of 5 years, so I probably stress and comfort ate a lot of junk food. Combined with a shitty night job before that, I was almost touching 100 kilos I think, at least 95+. I've always been a skinny guy, now turned skinny fat, with most of it stuck around my belly.

Anyway, I somehow dropped down to around 90 without realizing it, and that's when I started researching how to do weight loss properly for the first time in my life so I'm a complete newb at this. For various health concerns of mine, giving up is not an option and I agree with the OP about these programs resembling min maxing in an rpg xD So as a scientific guy, this is a neat and necessary experiment.

I have two pieces of paper with stats about my body, and I could use some pointers on how to interpret my progress so far, before and after a month of fasting.

I intend to keep doing this intermittent fasting for an additional two months, for the sake of experimentation, but I'm not sure I can live without breakfast forever. My initial/current goal is to go from 90 to 75 kilos, but I'm not sure that's a good goal. My body fat percentage has supposedly gone from 29.9% to 28%, which I found disturbingly slow (and a lot, I had no idea). Should I be concerned?
Welcome to the thread! First of all, don't trust the scale's reading of your body fat % or lean mass. Those things work by body conductivity and are fine for measuring trends (provided you measure consistently), but no good for giving a reliable figure. Your level of hydration will throw off the answers it gives you by huge margins. Try the US Navy method instead. It's also inaccurate and noisy, but at least will only be off by +/-3% and you only need a tape measure.

Second, you will lose muscle as a part of the weight loss process. That's normal. You can minimise the loss by getting enough of the following three things:
  1. Exercise
  2. Sleep
  3. Protein
As for the pace at which your body fat percentage is going down - try not to focus on it. Because you're losing both muscle and fat at the same time, the proportions will tend to be "stickier" than if all weight loss were pure fat loss. Besides, the rates of both are going to be non-linear and wildly fluctuating anyway, so micromanaging to that level of detail is going to drive you nuts. As long as the general trend is in the right direction, you'll be fine.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to lose weight, i have the time to go to the gym but lack the will, currently at 235 lbs, how did you guys got over the first hump to start?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to lose weight, i have the time to go to the gym but lack the will, currently at 235 lbs, how did you guys got over the first hump to start?

For me it was trying Intermittent Fasting, it has worked wonders.

Sadly, there is no one solution that fits or works for everyone, the key is to keep trying and find what works for you.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Start by reading the OP.

Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Get your diet right and you'll slim down even if the most strenuous physical activity you do all day is getting out of bed in the morning. Physical activity is critical to your overall health, but for weight loss, it's not that effective.

Oct 28, 2017
What got me started was getting so ill I almost died and barely ate for 2 weeks. Can't say I recommend it but it did have the benefit of getting through the worst of the sugar withdrawral without really noticing it. 17 months on I'm 1lb short of losing 1/2 of my starting weight and thinner and fitter than I've ever been. I did that with intermitent fasting, cutting nearly all sugar from my diet and walking as much as I could manage each day. Which wasn't very much at all to start with but now goes as high as 10 miles a day. Never been inside a gym in my life.

Oct 28, 2017
204 this morning at 16% body fat. So that is 1/2 my weight from Jan 2018 and the final weight goal I have. Now I just want to get to 10% body fat. Well probably. I may stop short of that as I'm already pretty content and the rate of loss is slowing all the time.

Oct 28, 2017
Cutting sugar out makes a huge difference yea, but its also the hardest part for many people.
yeah indeed it's addictive and food companies put it in almost everything. On previous (failed obviously) diets when I was just trying to eat less of the stuff I'd find myself just auto eating it out of the jar we store it in because the cravings were that strong. Avoiding it worked a lot better and now I cant stand the taste of it. It did take a year to get to that point though.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
204 this morning at 16% body fat. So that is 1/2 my weight from Jan 2018 and the final weight goal I have. Now I just want to get to 10% body fat. Well probably. I may stop short of that as I'm already pretty content and the rate of loss is slowing all the time.
12% was my goal. I got down to ~13.5% by measurement before I gave up and started focusing on building muscle. Getting that lean from where you are takes a lot of focus and it's easy to give up because the outcomes of not doing that are just that you remain at a healthy weight. I even tried again last challenge for a while and went right back to bulking up once I realised how hard it would be.

Besides, I'd started becoming aware of just how little muscle I actually had on my frame. Once I've build myself up a bit, I'm going to try again.

Oct 28, 2017
12% was my goal. I got down to ~13.5% by measurement before I gave up and started focusing on building muscle. Getting that lean from where you are takes a lot of focus and it's easy to give up because the outcomes of not doing that are just that you remain at a healthy weight. I even tried again last challenge for a while and went right back to bulking up once I realised how hard it would be.

Besides, I'd started becoming aware of just how little muscle I actually had on my frame. Once I've build myself up a bit, I'm going to try again.
yes, I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I ate at maintenance level on a few of my eating days over the last 2 weeks as I felt I'd kinda earned some treats and while I still want to be actually thin for the 1st time I don't want it *that* badly and I already feel pretty great.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
68.7kg this week, down 0.6kg from last week. Bunch of weddings and birthdays coming up though, so we'll see how well it holds.

OP
OP
viciouskillersquirrel

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
yes, I'm finding it increasingly difficult. I ate at maintenance level on a few of my eating days over the last 2 weeks as I felt I'd kinda earned some treats and while I still want to be actually thin for the 1st time I don't want it *that* badly and I already feel pretty great.
16% body fat is thin to most people, believe me. Just this morning I ran into an old friend from high school. I hadn't seen him in about 15 years or so and he commended me on having managed to keep the weight off since high school.

I started to tell him that I did put weight on and lost it, and thought about talking about health and fitness but changed the subject. In the end, it's not relevant. To him, I'm thin - that's as far as it goes.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Another week. Target is around 85kg.

Positives this week - I'm now on my third belt notch on my work belt. I started the journey on the first belt hole, which was straining. One pair of work pants (trousers for the British) is very baggy. I was also able to use another belt which had been too small for me for some time.

A collegue said she noticed my stomach was smaller. I had noticed changes in my face and upper torso, but it's hard to see differences in the stomach because a large over-hang looks much the same as a large over-hang that's a bit smaller, so it was nice to get some feedback around there.
1FwQjXw.png

Short answer: Increased physical activity is key for many in terms of successful and permanent weight reduction. If you think it's important in your situation, find a way of doing it by choosing something that fits you. If you don't like the gym, find something else. Commit to it for at least three times a week for three weeks and you'll find yourself getting more energy. From there, make it a sustainable habit and tweak your lifestyle where necessary. Don't be afraid to change your path and explore.

Personally, through trial and error, I've found that for me, I base my workouts on this machine below at home. I use it every second day without fail, unless replacing it with something else. I will add other activities on the in-between days, but not as rigorously as I do with this machine. It's a HIIT machine by name, but I generally do steady-state cardio on it. Yes, steady-state cardio is not as good as HIIT for losing weight by itself, but it's not about the calorie burn, it's about getting me conditioned and in the right head space (more below).

The fact that it took me probably three years to find what works for me is a little sad, but I think I've got there. The gym is a negative space for me, so there's no way I'd ever be able to make a long-term commitment to it.

Pros for me:
  • I can do it at home, so no excuses
  • I don't need to go to the gym - save me 15 minutes, shower at home, can pump my own music, own pace, no waiting, put my own inspirational stuff on TV, I'm a bit introverted, I don't want to make small talk
  • I can do it at 4AM - I try to leave for work by 5am because I can avoid traffic.
  • Not weather dependant
  • I can control the environment - temp set to 23C + pedestal fan on me (I sweat a LOT)
  • Low impact
  • Stepping motion, works my thighs/glutes - my compression pants tell me I've lost fat but put on muscle mass on my thighs
  • Combines what I liked about my previous elliptical with hill walking. I used to live in the mountains and got great legs just from walking to the local shops every other day.
Cons for me:
  • The motion only simultates an ascending motion. I need to offset with at least some descending motion, so I've added hill walking on some of my days off. I don't live in the mountains any more but do have some hilly areas near me.
  • Takes up room in my house.

po9DMnR.png

Onto the head space thing.

Nutrition will always be the most important thing in losing weight. You can't fix bad nutrition with exercise. What exercise does for many (including myself) is to reduce the negative effects and symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression. When you're in a better space, it's easier to avoid over-eating and poor food choices. It's also easier to deal with hunger when you're fit and in a good head-space. All this is most applicable if you have, like myself, been using food as a fix for stress/anxiety relief.

Eating produces dopamine. People use this hit to alleviate symptoms of stress. However, it's short lived and you crave another fix. The easiest food to get that dopamine hit from is high-calorie foods like chips, cookies, ice cream, candy, etc.

Exercise, on the other hand, can produce endorphins, which are quite nice. The other thing it does is reduce the levels of stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline. These hormones are fight or flight hormones, and we're not meant to have elevated levels of them as part of our daily body chemistry. So feeling less stressed, combined with the discipline of regular exercise, combined with the increased confidence we get from getting fitter/healthier, it's much easier to combat over-eating. We're rewarded by being healthy, not from downing a large bag of Doritoes.

As an aside, when you've been eating well (less processed foods) for a few weeks, your stomach fauna (bacteria) will change and you'll be craving healthier food to satisfy hunger. Whereas before you may have considered an apple boring, it becomes delicious and full of subtleties. This is obviously a personal choice, but I find it easier to eat no cookies and hence never get a craving for them than to eat 1 cookie a day and always feeling like more.

Oct 27, 2017

So here's the latest. I forgot about this thread, but all the same I was at a stand-still for quite some time anyways. Feeling pretty happy to see a significant dip.

My short-term goal is to be under 300 by my birthday on July 31. I'll be turning 40. I was at least 360 when I started trying again in January. I think I'll make it but I'm concerned I'll hit a slow spot again.

Truth be told, I could have been watching my intake better.

Weekly update. Got a new scale, which is pretty cool, but I understand that this "Bioimpedance" crap is nonsense.

Edit- Updated with progress pic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hovering around 185lbs this week. I think I am about due for things to start moving again, seems to stall out every 5-10 lbs lost.

But I have been noticing other gains, particularly in my torso.