• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the odd question, but I found out that PSVR can play 3D blurays, which makes sense due to the tech involved. And honestly, I just kind of want to try it out.

Wanted to grab Into the Spiderverse as I saw that in 2D in the theaters and thought it'd be cool in 3D... but that didn't get a US 3D bluray release, and the one that's out there costs like $40 at least, which is too much for a minor curiosity.

Mainly what I'm looking for is: (reasonably) cheap, actually a film worth watching to some degree, and a solid 3d effect.

Any suggestions?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Back this Spring I imported the 3D Spiderverse disc from JB HiFi New Zealand, and the disc is region free. At the time it was the one of the cheapest places to order the English disc internationally, not sure if that's still the case.

However, $30 New Zealand Dollars is about $19 USD right now. Don't remember how much shipping to the US was.

edit:

I just checked and it seems Shipping to the US went WAY up, I payed a reasonable rate for shipping that's not the case anymore. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help

Last edited:
Gravity is very much what you're looking for in terms of all the things you've asked about. It's such an incredible implementation of the technology and frankly integral to the visual makeup of the film.

If you want something more vintage, House of Wax does some really cool stuff in it to establish the spacing between actors and objects, which shows off during an early chase scene through some streets.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How good do movies look in the PSVR anyway?

p.s.

Life of Pi
Gravity
Hugo

These are the best 3D movies. I've no idea if they're cheap or even available to buy though.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hugo is one of those rare movies that was actually intended to be viewed in 3D, and is much better for it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The resolution hit on psvr is real bad for 3D blu ray.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Hugo imo is the single best use of 3D since the renaissance began. Seriously ignore the idea of it being a kids movie.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
I've only seen a couple movies with 3D good enough to make me care:

How to Train Your Dragon

I'd imagine Gravity would have made the list as well, if I'd seen it in theaters...

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Avatar still the holy grail? I've always heard it was far more impressive than any other 3D movie.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Dredd 3D for $6 on Amazon a couple of months ago for this very reason.

I also paid the $40 for 3D Doctor Strange and it was worth it.

Gravity was also a reasonably priced 3D blu-ray.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Guardians of the Galaxy

I only say that because I was looking for my bluray copy, now that the uhd is out, and noticed that my copy was 3D. Hadn't recalled that.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol 2 is probably good too, but I haven't watched my 3D copy yet)
Moana
Tangled
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse
Gravity

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Avatar. For all the cons (and they are real, it's really a senseless movie that's not all that good, "dances with ferngully" criticism in effect, nevermind the stupidity of unobtanium.

And I still watch it from time to time and justifies the glasses I bought for my TV (that and Pinball FX 2 on the PS3).

For better or worse the 3D is that good with that movie.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar made the best use of 3D I had seen. Rather than gimmicky "look at this thing jumping off the screen" it used it to show depth into the frame instead, which made the effect much more consistent throughout the entire film, but also much less gimmicky and tacked on. It's not a great movie, and 3D doesn't fix that, but it does serve as a sort of "what if filmmakers had taken 3D seriously" instead of as a cheap gimmick that ultimately contributed to its decline.