Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Nope, been testing in the Video Games section with relatively new threads. Literally just tested with the Epic Games announcement (never opened and it goes to first page), back out, click again and it sends me to Page 3.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac.
Gotcha. This is something that's baked-in to XF. Here's my understanding of how it works (I know I'm in here a lot, but I'm not one of the sysadmins, just some schmuck)-
1 - If you read to the end of the thread, then leave and come back, it remembers the exact post (i.e. the last post) where you left off and brings you there
2 - If you browse a page in a thread that you've never read before, it tags that page as your "last read" page. So if you load up a thread, read anything on Page 1, then come back, it assumes you read Page 1 and moves you to Page 2. Not sure why it would jump you from Page 1 to 3...I tested it myself and it would only jump me a page at a time.

Hope that at least helps make it make some sort of sense, and I'm sure a sysadmin will smack me in the head later anyway.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Nov 12, 2017
We're making progress! No more "similar threads" at the bottom, but there still is that gigantic ass remove ads. Even though I get no ads on mobile and don't have any ad blockers.

Nov 4, 2017
Okay then use an addon like Stylus and add a new script for Era with this:

Code:
body .uix_sidebarNav {
    display: none !important;
}
Thanks! I'm not versed in fancy stuffs like this but I'll hang onto it! Will wait alil while longer to let the staff work stuff out on the site. Then afterwards if needed look into it!

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Besides the initial bumpy launch it seems fine now. I actually like the sidebar and having everything centered for the look.

But a major bug are people are now Verified instead of Verafied.

Oct 31, 2017
Are the threadmarks (on this thread) supposed to show the time they were made, not the post time? I can sorta understand that, but it’s a bit confusing in a case like this where you’d want to know the chronological order of the updates yet all of them are labeled within the same few minutes at 2 in the morning.

I can agree with this because it’s real weird to hide them like that, but I also almost never go to Hangouts and I absolutely go to Watched constantly, so I have to disagree with your reasoning, hah.
If one of their designers is running a heatmap, they can check what they press more on a daily basis. ;) My bet is more people are clicking into Hangouts, but either way they should be visible for people to click. No reason to add a 2 click feature of a feature that is highly used.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile (android), using the Chrome browser. The font size setting in Chrome browser doesn't work. I'm getting old and I need bigger font size. Any settings to change the font size?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Could the search bar revert to the default setting of displaying results by date, not by relevance, to match how it functioned previously? Or could this perhaps be toggled in the search bar's drop-down box? I shouldn't have to go into the advanced search page every time I want this feature to work the way it did before.
Let's hope so. I can't find a lot of the stuff I'm looking for because they're pretty much all recent threads, and it keeps showing me threads from 2017.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Without "Similar thread" the site is way more responsive.
We've disabled a number of items right now, not just similar threads. We're tracking a number of metrics as we do testing, and we're hoping in the end we'll be able to identify exactly what is causing large performance issues and what is not. It could be similar threads; it could not be. We aren't sure yet.

Oct 25, 2017
First off, I love the redesign!

Now, this isnt a bug, at least I dont think it is, but when viewing the site in split screen mode on Chrome everything gets squished a bit and it doesnt look nearly as good as it does in full screen. Full screen mode looks perfect, but I usually use the site in split screen. Its only really a problem when browsing. Once your in a thread, it really doesnt matter and works just the same.

Thanks again for all the hard work btw. This site has been awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Not having my forum quick links at the top of my screen is killing me. The quick jump drop down box is not the same, it just adds an unnecessary step to get to where you want to go.

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
searches seem to be defaulting to seach by relevance. not really sure what criteria what its using to determine what is the most relevant. especially when you just keyword search by thread title

seems like searching by date would be better like the ERA 1.0

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Mobile is awful. No shortcuts (page down / up / refresh). No jump to page.
You can enable the arrows in your Preferences. We'll look at getting a refresh button in the future.
You can jump to a page by clicking on the "X of Y" numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
United States
User banned (1 week): Post not made in good faith. Extensive history of hostility towards staff.
That's simply wrong, I understand you don't want to invest the time to recreate the theme for the new forum version, but it absolutely could be done.
They don't want to implement anything outside of standard forum functions or XenForo marketplace plugins. Multiple community members, including myself, have offered to implement features and protections for the community, but unless it's something they can toggle in the official distribution or a plugin, it's "not doable", even though some of the "not doables" are literally 2 weeks of work to implement, test, and ship.

Bit of a shame considering how this forum came into existence, and community has maybe what, 2% involvement at best in the decisions of what this site does?

I'd much prefer they just say they don't want to take community code submissions because they don't want to sort out copyright/licensing rather than tell us a feature that can't be done that is literally a feature that has been done.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can enable the arrows in your Preferences. We'll look at getting a refresh button in the future.
You can jump to a page by clicking on the "X of Y" numbers.

Yeah, but that requires multiple clicks now. On legacy, shortcuts and pages were accessible directly.

Dec 16, 2017
I was getting some weird graphical errors earlier today. Basically the entire screen would be filled with giant purple arrows. This is on iOS 12 Safari.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may possibly be missing something, but why is it that sometimes it jumps to some random post in a thread when I click on it and sometimes it doesn't? Is there anyway I can turn this off, make it so it just goes to the OP when I click on a thread? I'm pretty sure there is as I feel like I remember this at the beginning of ResetEra. Looked into the settings, and didn't see an option for it; possibly missed it.

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I may possibly be missing something, but why is it that sometimes it jumps to some random post in a thread when I click on it and sometimes it doesn't? Is there anyway I can turn this off, make it so it just goes to the OP when I click on a thread? I'm pretty sure there is as I feel like I remember this at the beginning of ResetEra. Looked into the settings, and didn't see an option for it; possibly missed it.
The arrows to the right of the thread - click the left-facing one for the OP, right-facing one for the last post.

I was getting some weird graphical errors earlier today. Basically the entire screen would be filled with giant purple arrows. This is on iOS 12 Safari.
These should be resolved by now. Are you still seeing them?

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The arrows to the right of the thread - click the left-facing one for the OP, right-facing one for the last post.
And where exactly does clicking on the thread take me? To the latest post in the thread? 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do that on the old ResetEra. Did the third-party theme fix this? I feel like I'm missing something -- thanks for the answer, nevertheless.

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
And where exactly does clicking on the thread take me? To the latest post in the thread? 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do that on the old ResetEra. Did the third-party theme fix this? I feel like I'm missing something -- thanks for the answer, nevertheless.
It takes you to the latest unread. It's part of XF, not part of anything we or a third-party did. For context:

Gotcha. This is something that's baked-in to XF. Here's my understanding of how it works (I know I'm in here a lot, but I'm not one of the sysadmins, just some schmuck)-
1 - If you read to the end of the thread, then leave and come back, it remembers the exact post (i.e. the last post) where you left off and brings you there
2 - If you browse a page in a thread that you've never read before, it tags that page as your "last read" page. So if you load up a thread, read anything on Page 1, then come back, it assumes you read Page 1 and moves you to Page 2. Not sure why it would jump you from Page 1 to 3...I tested it myself and it would only jump me a page at a time.

Hope that at least helps make it make some sort of sense, and I'm sure a sysadmin will smack me in the head later anyway.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes you to the latest unread. It's part of XF, not part of anything we or a third-party did. For context:
Oh, you know what it could have been -- and I could be wrong on this. I wanna say before, it listed out each page, even page one. So maybe when I clicked on threads, I'd always click on page one? And now it looks like that option isn't available (unless you click on the less convenient arrows on the side). Again, could be wrong about all this, my memory is garbage.
EDIT: Although I can click on the date and it takes me to the OP. Maybe I was doing that before?

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They don't want to implement anything outside of standard forum functions or XenForo marketplace plugins. Multiple community members, including myself, have offered to implement features and protections for the community, but unless it's something they can toggle in the official distribution or a plugin, it's "not doable", even though some of the "not doables" are literally 2 weeks of work to implement, test, and ship.

Bit of a shame considering how this forum came into existence, and community has maybe what, 2% involvement at best in the decisions of what this site does?

I'd much prefer they just say they don't want to take community code submissions because they don't want to sort out copyright/licensing rather than tell us a feature that can't be done that is literally a feature that has been done.
Interesting tbh

Oct 25, 2017
If one of their designers is running a heatmap, they can check what they press more on a daily basis. ;) My bet is more people are clicking into Hangouts, but either way they should be visible for people to click. No reason to add a 2 click feature of a feature that is highly used.
I’m curious- do you just regularly browse Hangouts? I guess I don’t really see the point of looking at a list of communities I’m not a part of most of. Like, I definitely hang out in certain OTs a lot (I mainly post in the GB OT), but it makes more sense to me to go to the ones I’m already posting in via Watched.

Not true. Safari:

Still a lot of wasted space at the bottom, but it doesn't show up like that in all browsers. It seems to be an Android thing, I guess. I don't have an Android phone on hand to test it out though.

edit: I'm not seeing those share icons on mobile 🤔.
I’m seeing those share icons on iOS (well, iOS 11) Safari.

(I hope this still works?)

Oct 25, 2017
We've disabled a number of items right now, not just similar threads. We're tracking a number of metrics as we do testing, and we're hoping in the end we'll be able to identify exactly what is causing large performance issues and what is not. It could be similar threads; it could not be. We aren't sure yet.
Regardless of the performance, can we pretty please add similar threads to the list as a candidate for an option to disable? If the users will have no voice in it being brought back, it would nice to be able to opt out without having to install a script. I'm far from the only person who's expressed this opinion, and I'd be happy to enumerate reasons if needed.

Hide Avatars in Thread List

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!

Nov 6, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
Progress!

When could we reasonably expect an option to disable avatars entirely as well as images being displayed as links ?

Oct 25, 2017

Just to chime in, I've also offered to to help with feature(s), especially if they're ones that would help me with carpal tunnel or my own use cases, for free. I can't be the only developer who would love to chip in if there were some sort of avenue for that. I'm not even asking for super prominence! :P

Hi all,

Enjoy!
YOU ARE A HEROINE / HERO, thank you for the quick update on this. I'll echo the other user about hoping for the soon return of avatar/image hiding in general for mobile data!

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Full-width never seems to stick for me. Neither does hiding the side bar. I'd rather those two things becomes preferences instead of session based (I guess) to actually make them stick for me.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
for some reason I put the anime and manga ot to be watched but they don't appear to me on the watch list unlike all the other threads
This is a weird bug that we're looking into right now. A quick workaround is to go to Trending, ensure that on the right sidebar (expand it if you have it collapsed) that there are no forums selected. Then return to your watched threads. We're working on a permanent fix.

deltaplus

Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Progress!

When could we reasonably expect an option to disable avatars entirely as well as images being displayed as links ?
We're working on it - I don't want to give a timeframe because we have a lot in the backlog but this is definitely something we want to get out.

Oct 25, 2017
We're working on it - I don't want to give a timeframe because we have a lot in the backlog but this is definitely something we want to get out.
Is there any sort of priority list that we could get publicly visible? It might tone down the amount of questions you have to deal with.

Another bug report: I'm still seeing the thing where if I click a thread title, I go to the OP instead of the newest page, and if I click the right arrow to try to go to the newest page that way, it jumps me to like page 7/49. I can't find any reliable way to get to the newest page in a single click.