• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Could the search bar revert to the default setting of displaying results by date, not by relevance, to match how it functioned previously? Or could this perhaps be toggled in the search bar's drop-down box? I shouldn't have to go into the advanced search page every time I want this feature to work the way it did before.
Let's hope so. I can't find a lot of the stuff I'm looking for because they're pretty much all recent threads, and it keeps showing me threads from 2017.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Without "Similar thread" the site is way more responsive.
We've disabled a number of items right now, not just similar threads. We're tracking a number of metrics as we do testing, and we're hoping in the end we'll be able to identify exactly what is causing large performance issues and what is not. It could be similar threads; it could not be. We aren't sure yet.

Oct 25, 2017
First off, I love the redesign!

Now, this isnt a bug, at least I dont think it is, but when viewing the site in split screen mode on Chrome everything gets squished a bit and it doesnt look nearly as good as it does in full screen. Full screen mode looks perfect, but I usually use the site in split screen. Its only really a problem when browsing. Once your in a thread, it really doesnt matter and works just the same.

Thanks again for all the hard work btw. This site has been awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Post not made in good faith. Extensive history of hostility towards staff.
That's simply wrong, I understand you don't want to invest the time to recreate the theme for the new forum version, but it absolutely could be done.
They don't want to implement anything outside of standard forum functions or XenForo marketplace plugins. Multiple community members, including myself, have offered to implement features and protections for the community, but unless it's something they can toggle in the official distribution or a plugin, it's "not doable", even though some of the "not doables" are literally 2 weeks of work to implement, test, and ship.

Bit of a shame considering how this forum came into existence, and community has maybe what, 2% involvement at best in the decisions of what this site does?

I'd much prefer they just say they don't want to take community code submissions because they don't want to sort out copyright/licensing rather than tell us a feature that can't be done that is literally a feature that has been done.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I may possibly be missing something, but why is it that sometimes it jumps to some random post in a thread when I click on it and sometimes it doesn't? Is there anyway I can turn this off, make it so it just goes to the OP when I click on a thread? I'm pretty sure there is as I feel like I remember this at the beginning of ResetEra. Looked into the settings, and didn't see an option for it; possibly missed it.

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I may possibly be missing something, but why is it that sometimes it jumps to some random post in a thread when I click on it and sometimes it doesn't? Is there anyway I can turn this off, make it so it just goes to the OP when I click on a thread? I'm pretty sure there is as I feel like I remember this at the beginning of ResetEra. Looked into the settings, and didn't see an option for it; possibly missed it.
The arrows to the right of the thread - click the left-facing one for the OP, right-facing one for the last post.

I was getting some weird graphical errors earlier today. Basically the entire screen would be filled with giant purple arrows. This is on iOS 12 Safari.
These should be resolved by now. Are you still seeing them?

Oct 25, 2017
The arrows to the right of the thread - click the left-facing one for the OP, right-facing one for the last post.
And where exactly does clicking on the thread take me? To the latest post in the thread? 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do that on the old ResetEra. Did the third-party theme fix this? I feel like I'm missing something -- thanks for the answer, nevertheless.

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
And where exactly does clicking on the thread take me? To the latest post in the thread? 'cause I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do that on the old ResetEra. Did the third-party theme fix this? I feel like I'm missing something -- thanks for the answer, nevertheless.
It takes you to the latest unread. It's part of XF, not part of anything we or a third-party did. For context:

Gotcha. This is something that's baked-in to XF. Here's my understanding of how it works (I know I'm in here a lot, but I'm not one of the sysadmins, just some schmuck)-
1 - If you read to the end of the thread, then leave and come back, it remembers the exact post (i.e. the last post) where you left off and brings you there
2 - If you browse a page in a thread that you've never read before, it tags that page as your "last read" page. So if you load up a thread, read anything on Page 1, then come back, it assumes you read Page 1 and moves you to Page 2. Not sure why it would jump you from Page 1 to 3...I tested it myself and it would only jump me a page at a time.

Hope that at least helps make it make some sort of sense, and I'm sure a sysadmin will smack me in the head later anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
It takes you to the latest unread. It's part of XF, not part of anything we or a third-party did. For context:
Oh, you know what it could have been -- and I could be wrong on this. I wanna say before, it listed out each page, even page one. So maybe when I clicked on threads, I'd always click on page one? And now it looks like that option isn't available (unless you click on the less convenient arrows on the side). Again, could be wrong about all this, my memory is garbage.
EDIT: Although I can click on the date and it takes me to the OP. Maybe I was doing that before?

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They don't want to implement anything outside of standard forum functions or XenForo marketplace plugins. Multiple community members, including myself, have offered to implement features and protections for the community, but unless it's something they can toggle in the official distribution or a plugin, it's "not doable", even though some of the "not doables" are literally 2 weeks of work to implement, test, and ship.

Bit of a shame considering how this forum came into existence, and community has maybe what, 2% involvement at best in the decisions of what this site does?

I'd much prefer they just say they don't want to take community code submissions because they don't want to sort out copyright/licensing rather than tell us a feature that can't be done that is literally a feature that has been done.
Interesting tbh

Oct 25, 2017
If one of their designers is running a heatmap, they can check what they press more on a daily basis. ;) My bet is more people are clicking into Hangouts, but either way they should be visible for people to click. No reason to add a 2 click feature of a feature that is highly used.
I’m curious- do you just regularly browse Hangouts? I guess I don’t really see the point of looking at a list of communities I’m not a part of most of. Like, I definitely hang out in certain OTs a lot (I mainly post in the GB OT), but it makes more sense to me to go to the ones I’m already posting in via Watched.

Not true. Safari:

Still a lot of wasted space at the bottom, but it doesn't show up like that in all browsers. It seems to be an Android thing, I guess. I don't have an Android phone on hand to test it out though.

edit: I'm not seeing those share icons on mobile 🤔.
I’m seeing those share icons on iOS (well, iOS 11) Safari.

(I hope this still works?)

Oct 25, 2017
We've disabled a number of items right now, not just similar threads. We're tracking a number of metrics as we do testing, and we're hoping in the end we'll be able to identify exactly what is causing large performance issues and what is not. It could be similar threads; it could not be. We aren't sure yet.
Regardless of the performance, can we pretty please add similar threads to the list as a candidate for an option to disable? If the users will have no voice in it being brought back, it would nice to be able to opt out without having to install a script. I'm far from the only person who's expressed this opinion, and I'd be happy to enumerate reasons if needed.

Hide Avatars in Thread List
Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!

Nov 6, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
Progress!

When could we reasonably expect an option to disable avatars entirely as well as images being displayed as links ?

Oct 25, 2017

Just to chime in, I've also offered to to help with feature(s), especially if they're ones that would help me with carpal tunnel or my own use cases, for free. I can't be the only developer who would love to chip in if there were some sort of avenue for that. I'm not even asking for super prominence! :P

Hi all,

Enjoy!
YOU ARE A HEROINE / HERO, thank you for the quick update on this. I'll echo the other user about hoping for the soon return of avatar/image hiding in general for mobile data!

Oct 27, 2017
Full-width never seems to stick for me. Neither does hiding the side bar. I'd rather those two things becomes preferences instead of session based (I guess) to actually make them stick for me.

Oct 24, 2017
for some reason I put the anime and manga ot to be watched but they don't appear to me on the watch list unlike all the other threads
This is a weird bug that we're looking into right now. A quick workaround is to go to Trending, ensure that on the right sidebar (expand it if you have it collapsed) that there are no forums selected. Then return to your watched threads. We're working on a permanent fix.

Oct 25, 2017
We're working on it - I don't want to give a timeframe because we have a lot in the backlog but this is definitely something we want to get out.
Is there any sort of priority list that we could get publicly visible? It might tone down the amount of questions you have to deal with.

Another bug report: I'm still seeing the thing where if I click a thread title, I go to the OP instead of the newest page, and if I click the right arrow to try to go to the newest page that way, it jumps me to like page 7/49. I can't find any reliable way to get to the newest page in a single click.

Is there any sort of priority list that we could get publicly visible? It might tone down the amount of questions you have to deal with.

Another bug report: I'm still seeing the thing where if I click a thread title, I go to the OP instead of the newest page, and if I click the right arrow to try to go to the newest page that way, it jumps me to like page 7/49. I can't find any reliable way to get to the newest page in a single click.
they had the prioritys of bugs on the first post, not sure if its updated now.

Hi all,

Enjoy!
Hey, love this new feature and enabled it. There is a small unintended issue created because there's no left side padding between the threads and the side of the page, it looks a bit weird, almost like there's content that you can't see because the text runs to the edge of the screen. Not sure if yall knew but just informing. Thanks for adding it though! :D

Oct 27, 2017
The older design (I didn't even know there was an initial redesign) was super professional and clean. This redesign makes me feel like I'm on a tween site. Especially all the icons next to thread titles and those huge garish banners at the top of each thread. Just my two cents.

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all,

Enjoy!
What is the logic behind putting useful features like this behind login? Another one I remember that is locked is up-down and refresh shortcut on mobile.

Is it not possible to make generic site setting available without login like theme selection? Many times I'm not using my personal computer or device. I don't want to login on each device I access resetera.

Oct 25, 2017
We need avatar disabling.
Browsing Era at work makes me look like a madman.

Edit: missed the mod post above.
Thanks for getting that in so quick even if its just main pages, I know the last few days been hectic for people working on the site.

Last edited:
Is it possible to disable thread previews? Sometimes when I hover over a link the preview stays stuck on the screen. Also, I find the feature more annoying than useful, so an on/off switch would be nice for all :)
This is a good shout

Also I'm still having issues with the announcement threads being watched but not showing up in watched threads

Stability seems to have improved