Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 29, 2017
A minor bug and I don't know if it is related to the update, but I found a page with with two posts with the post number 54 and I'd like to share this curiosity. All other post numbers are present, so there is that page that has 51 instead of 50 posts. I also checked the number of total posts seems thus to be missing that one post.

Nov 21, 2017
This is kinda inconvenience but the watched thread feature doesnt provide all my watched threads but half of them. I dont know how to track the invisible ones

Temporary solution to Watched Threads issues
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Watched threads showing up when there's no new posts is annoying. No idea if it's a bug but the old theme didn't do it, and it's doing my tits in.
This is kinda inconvenience but the watched thread feature doesnt provide all my watched threads but half of them. I dont know how to track the invisible ones
We're working on a fix for this. One way to resolve for now: Navigate to Trending and disable all node filters.

Oct 25, 2017
If this can be added with a userscript how hard is it to be implemented in the site? And also reducing the search bar size and adding hangout links. I'm genuinely asking. Why have a sidebar and a quickjump menu when this is so much better?

Ugh, yes please. They could collapse to be just icons on mobile. This would fix all navigation issues, really.

On another note, the site seems to be performing better now. Hopefully it wasn't the Similar Threads feature that was mostly to blame for the poor performance before, because I actually really liked that feature. It's not worth enabling if it cripples performance, though.

Also, will custom cover images for threads be enabled anytime soon? I've been wanting to try it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao Search bar takes up half the screen but not bothered to put the site navigation in the other half, has to be through "Quick Jump"

Hilarious how the community is improving the site better than the admins through scripts and other work around and shit. Really disappointing.

Thanks to the staff for the good work.

I can't wait until the sidebar starts remembering I want it closed so that I don't gotta do so each time I load a new page or reload one.
Are you experiencing this on desktop or mobile?
Dun got a mobile so desktop for me!
Okay then use an addon like Stylus and add a new script for Era with this:

Code:
body .uix_sidebarNav {
    display: none !important;
}
Thanks! I'm not versed in fancy stuffs like this but I'll hang onto it! Will wait alil while longer to let the staff work stuff out on the site. Then afterwards if needed look into it!
Same.
But thanks, I'll have to give this a try in case the sidebar stays and disabling it doesn't work for me.

We're making progress! No more "similar threads" at the bottom, but there still is that gigantic ass remove ads. Even though I get no ads on mobile and don't have any ad blockers.
Regardless of the performance, can we pretty please add similar threads to the list as a candidate for an option to disable? If the users will have no voice in it being brought back, it would nice to be able to opt out without having to install a script. I'm far from the only person who's expressed this opinion, and I'd be happy to enumerate reasons if needed.
Similar Threads needs to stay gone.
Agreed, hope that "similar threads" are at least made an option that you can disable.

Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
Thank you.
Probably too much to ask to also add the option to only disable avatars of certain users, but I thought mentioning it wouldn't hurt.

The sidebar seemed to fix itself yesterday and stay closed, but that isn't happening now.

Clicking the burger refuses to respond.

How long before the thing is finally removed for good?
Yeah, hasn't worked today for me either.
Hopefully it's not a browser version thing, since I'm not using the newest Firefox version due to a couple of plugins not working on the newest one.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, hasn't worked today for me either.
Hopefully it's not a browser version thing, since I'm not using the newest Firefox version due to a couple of plugins not working on the newest one.
I'm using the latest version 63.0.3 (64-bit).

It's a bug on their end. I wouldn't worry about what browser version you have.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say everything's looking good a few days in.

As one developer to another, be patient with the adjustment period. If you're watching metrics or collecting data/feedback, there's a phenomenon that whenever any service introduces major new features engagement initially drops, metrics perform poorly, and qualitative negative feedback overwhelms qualitative positive feedback, but then over time, the metrics recover as familiarity with new features, design, etc. increases. It's always disheartening as a developer to spend a lot of time on something, and then have it received with mixed opinions or see data that suggests that something is not performing as well with the improved version vs. the old. It's just human nature.

As a user, whenever a major service changes I usually wait several weeks and use it before providing feedback. I find that otherwise my initial difficulty doing routine tasks is overblown and it shrouds my entire reaction.

Oct 25, 2017
The sentiment itself is not the issue, but due to this user's past interactions with staff, we are quite sure that the intent there was not to be helpful.
If you have questions about moderation feel free to PM us.

Many of the features we have included, like the Quick Jump navigation, the per-user ability to toggle buttons and disable avatars on the thread list, the Non-Binary Gender Option, the fact that gender displays on profile pop-ups at all, etc are features that are neither native to XF2.0 nor available via plugin. These we spent considerable hours and effort and other resources developing ourselves, based on community feedback.

With regard to the legacy themes, what was proposed there was not a port of an XF1.5 theme but a completely new theme, built from scratch, and made to look in some ways like it belongs in XF1.5. A systems administrator will be able to elaborate when they are available.
I don’t doubt that they could have been bad in PMs, but I do want to say that:

1. This is certainly not the first time I’ve seen someone post harsh but agreed upon criticism in a thread like this and be hit by a sudden ban of “they’ve had issues with staff before and it was mainly in PMs”, with absolutely no post by staff to explain what just happened or how the criticism was off in any way until questioned. It is a bad look 100% of the time and always makes me wonder if they were actually that bad or if they were just critical a lot. Bans like this should really get a post in the thread explaining (as you did here) how they actually differed from the criticism others were making.

2. Banning people for stuff they said in PMs to staff, and then asking people to PM you about moderation issues is a bit laughable. It certainly does not encourage me to question decisions in any capacity beyond the report button if it’s possibly going to end up being seen as an infraction.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With the watched thread temp quick fix, the ability to hide avatars in the thread list, and the similar threads section being removed, I'm starting to not mind this redesign. I'm getting used to it.
Yeah it's getting better

Just need to make the mobile version fit for purpose now, and revert everything that takes 2 clicks back to 1

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thanks for adding avatar hiding on the thread list. Enabling this option (on mobile) makes it so there is zero spacing/padding though. It looks bad visually, but hopefully it will be fixed at some point.

Can we get an ultra simple alternative? Like a flat version of the site with a black and grey, or white and baby blue. No gradients, no avatars. Simplified text input. Big buttons.

Right now, it feels over engineered on mobile. Like you're cramming the desktop mode into mobile by simply shuffling elements around. It's garish and unweildy

Dec 18, 2017
Is user post highlighting a bug or intended?

When I went into a topic before, my posts would be highlighted purple. It was easy to tell which were my posts on a page even when scrolling.

Now my posts are not highlighted. I notice a very fine purple edge highlight on the top border of my post, so maybe that's supposed to be the new style.

However that fine purple highlight is way too subtle to notice. Even when I'm staring at my post, it takes a moment to see it. While scrolling through an entire page of posts, which has lots of purple highlights, it's impossible to immediately differentiate my posts.

Anyway, feature or bug, I think the design should be reconsidered.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to chime in and say that now that the backend issues seem to be ironed out, I'm LOVING the new UI. There's always going to be a ton of people that are super critical of change, but they'll adapt. I'm very pleased! Thank you for your hard work!

Oct 25, 2017
is there any chance of getting the old read/unread icon back and having so that the icon takes you to the first unread post and the thread title takes you to the first post like before?
Please please please PLEASE don't do this. This functionality was the sole reason I used 1.5 over Legacy and I would probably stop using this forum entirely if this regression was brought forward.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Your own threads no longer stand out with a different shade of color, do you plan on changing that? What about your own posts?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for adding avatar hiding on the thread list. Enabling this option (on mobile) makes it so there is zero spacing/padding though. It looks bad visually, but hopefully it will be fixed at some point.
It's like they just cropped the avatars out. Back to the extention hunt and scripts.

Oct 25, 2017
is there any chance of getting the old read/unread icon back and having so that the icon takes you to the first unread post and the thread title takes you to the first post like before?
Yes please, among a lot of other things.

There should be a thread for just updates when they happen, im not noticing much outside of stability

Not all bugs per say, but I'll treat this thread as a general feeback thread for usability cuz I can't find another thread more apt.

1) On mobile, the ads at the top load slowly. And when they're done, they push everything down. There are so many times I misclick just as they load. Many times I have to wait for them to load so I don't misclick. This happens again when the report ads button is slow to load. Can we have placeholder space for the ads so elements don't move?

2) OP tag and "my posts" tags are too subtle.

3) Back button (on android), with a picture/ attachment enlarged, goes back to a previous page instead of closing the attachment/ picture overlay. When I click forward to go back to that page, the overlay stays, but I'll be at the top of the page instead of at the post I clicked to enlarge.

4) Like others mentioned, the scroll arrows jump to a point too low on the page and we have to scroll up for the last post.

5) sometimes on chrome mobile, clicking on a link sends you to a blank page with huge purple arrows pointing up (probably incomplete load). Need to reload the page to fix that.

6) On Desktop, the search bar loads a little bit too high up? I can only see half the search bar but if i click it it pops back in place.

7) The top/bottom scroll arrows need to be on top of each other, they wast too much space when placed horizontally, especially in mobile.

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something that seems to be missing that I found to be a great convenience feature was the arrows to take you to the top or bottom of a thread, along with the reload thread button that was on the same sidebar for that. Is that gone forever?

Edit: Ok, I found the scroll arrows, but no refresh thread.

BronsonLee

Don't worry I'm on the case
Oct 24, 2017
Something that seems to be missing that I found to be a great convenience feature was the arrows to take you to the top or bottom of a thread, along with the reload thread button that was on the same sidebar for that. Is that gone forever?
Check preferences for the top/bottom buttons. No reload button yet.

Oct 26, 2017
My cursor just stops working fairly often, and i have to click back into my text box - didn't happen once typing this of course - happened like 10 times typing my post I started in etc a second ago - may have to do with the ads, I can't see an add right now.

Orb

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If this can be added with a userscript how hard is it to be implemented in the site? And also reducing the search bar size and adding hangout links. I'm genuinely asking. Why have a sidebar and a quickjump menu when this is so much better?

Bingo. Came here to post exactly this. I've really noticed over the past few days that things just seem like they take way more clicks, and this is a good reason. I pop back and forth between both sides of the forum and it takes much more time if I disable the obtrusive sidebar.

Oct 25, 2017
Can the number of pages be more prominent in the thread list view? It’s a much better way to tell which threads are popular vs views. And it’s completely gone on mobile.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still frequently and randomly getting that site fade in animation when browsing the forum. Using desktop Chrome.

Anyone else? Anyway to disable this?

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two requests (maybe I'm missing 'em):
1. Go back to one button click at the top for the different boards. I find it hilarious that "quick jump" is actually 100% slower than before (1 click -> 2 clicks).
2. Page numbers on mobile. To my knowledge, at the moment there is no way to jump to the last page on mobile. I can jump to the last post, but not the last page.

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
awesome this is great

one note: I think it could use a little added left margin with the avatar missing.

Oct 25, 2017
After using it for a couple days, my biggest complaints are alerts taking 2 clicks instead of one, and quick jump navigation taking 2 clicks instead of one. Have Videogames, Etc and Watched out in the open as other members have already suggested, change "quick jump" to "more" to contain the remaining two hangouts and trending. And return Alerts to hover view.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
um yea, im sitting here looking at another screen with resetera up and out of nowhere resetera busts into "your computer is infected with malware please contact microsoft support" with a red background and white textbox.