• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Orb

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If this can be added with a userscript how hard is it to be implemented in the site? And also reducing the search bar size and adding hangout links. I'm genuinely asking. Why have a sidebar and a quickjump menu when this is so much better?

Bingo. Came here to post exactly this. I've really noticed over the past few days that things just seem like they take way more clicks, and this is a good reason. I pop back and forth between both sides of the forum and it takes much more time if I disable the obtrusive sidebar.

Oct 25, 2017
Can the number of pages be more prominent in the thread list view? It’s a much better way to tell which threads are popular vs views. And it’s completely gone on mobile.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still frequently and randomly getting that site fade in animation when browsing the forum. Using desktop Chrome.

Anyone else? Anyway to disable this?

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two requests (maybe I'm missing 'em):
1. Go back to one button click at the top for the different boards. I find it hilarious that "quick jump" is actually 100% slower than before (1 click -> 2 clicks).
2. Page numbers on mobile. To my knowledge, at the moment there is no way to jump to the last page on mobile. I can jump to the last post, but not the last page.

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
awesome this is great

one note: I think it could use a little added left margin with the avatar missing.

Oct 25, 2017
After using it for a couple days, my biggest complaints are alerts taking 2 clicks instead of one, and quick jump navigation taking 2 clicks instead of one. Have Videogames, Etc and Watched out in the open as other members have already suggested, change "quick jump" to "more" to contain the remaining two hangouts and trending. And return Alerts to hover view.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
um yea, im sitting here looking at another screen with resetera up and out of nowhere resetera busts into "your computer is infected with malware please contact microsoft support" with a red background and white textbox.

Oct 27, 2017
Need to have the ability to ignore threads straight from the thread list.
I'm still frequently and randomly getting that site fade in animation when browsing the forum. Using desktop Chrome.

Anyone else? Anyway to disable this?
Echoing these.

Seems like every time I open up a page, forum, or thread, the content shows up instantly, then disappears to do its little animations to show up again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to enable numbered pages on mobile yet? The site is a piece of garbage to navigate on mobile without page numbers. I mean, like this is worse than a bunch of random "related threads" at the bottom or avatars next to thread creators' names in the thread list. I need page numbers. I would gladly lose features I don't use (last post jump, who would want that?) to get my pages back...

Oct 26, 2017
I use a 3840 x 2160 resolution, so I browse the site at 150% zoom. The number of pages a thread has, its date, OP and activity info disappears if I drag the browser to a side so it automatically resizes to occupy half of my screen.
That didn't happen with the old version/theme.

Oct 27, 2017
Password recovery doesn't seem to be working. Been trying to recover my password for a couple of days now since I cant remember it(Desktop remembers my pass but my phone doesn't).

Oct 28, 2017
So the >| option next to the thread is supposed to take you to the last read post (i.e. first new post), but atlest on my watched threads this doesn't appear to work. It goes to the very last post.

Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
So the >| option next to the thread is supposed to take you to the last read post (i.e. first new post), but atlest on my watched threads this doesn't appear to work. It goes to the very last post.
Yeah, that is a super important feature to me, hope they fix it.

I'm not liking the design on mobile at the moment, seems to me like it uses the real estate of the screen less efficiently, less compact.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to enable numbered pages on mobile yet? The site is a piece of garbage to navigate on mobile without page numbers. I mean, like this is worse than a bunch of random "related threads" at the bottom or avatars next to thread creators' names in the thread list. I need page numbers. I would gladly lose features I don't use (last post jump, who would want that?) to get my pages back...
I echo this. Makes browsing a lot harder. I'm not sure what they have against numbers because it's not the first time they removed it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!
Yes, THANK YOU!

Hecht

These are my salad days
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I use a 3840 x 2160 resolution, so I browse the site at 150% zoom. The number of pages a thread has, its date, OP and activity info disappears if I drag the browser to a side so it automatically resizes to occupy half of my screen.
That didn't happen with the old version/theme.

That's because with the zoom+shrinking the window you're basically looking at the screen in "mobile" view. We removed some of those items because it was cluttering up the screen on mobile.

Hecht

These are my salad days
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The >| button takes you to the last post. The thread title takes you to first unread.

Oct 25, 2017
Please please please PLEASE don't do this. This functionality was the sole reason I used 1.5 over Legacy and I would probably stop using this forum entirely if this regression was brought forward.
This can be solved with options. I prefer the thread title going to the first page myself

Oct 25, 2017
I much, much, much prefer the current function of thread titles being the link to newest unread - it's the function I want 99.9% of the time, so it should be the function of the largest target. I stuck with 1.5 over the legacy theme purely because of how much of a difference this makes in my viewing.

This post from a couple pages back explains it way better than I could:
I detest clicking a thread title going to the OP. The original Era implementation made a break from GAF in letting thread titles go to unread posts, and it was an outstanding change, one of the single most positive user-friendly modifications that was made.

Advantages:
* 90% of the time I browse, and I can only assume most users browse, the OP is not something that is typically referenced. Reading it once or twice is good, and in a few isolated instances, there may be a community OP that needs checked often for some reason, like a contest or news collection thread.
* As someone at risk for carpal tunnel / wrist injuries, having to reach way across my phone with my thumb to touch a tiny icon on the left side actively hurts my hands and makes usability worse for me. Since I assume most users are righthanded, this is another thing I would guess applies to most users.
* In the new UI, the icon is on the right (and currently unreliable). This is better for right-handed users, but is also close to another button and close to the edge of the screen, so it's still bad for both hand/wrist injuries and people with big thumbs like me.
* It's simple and follows the practical GUI paradigm of the most common feature being the easiest, most accessible, and triggered via the largest interactive element. The less common case of people who need to frequently access OPs would still be available, just using a smaller icon since their use case is smaller (and ideally, they could change the behavior via an option).

Disadvantages:
* Some users need to frequently check OPs. I still struggle to understand how this can be a common thing, but I understand there are certain threads where this can be useful. I just do not believe it to be the vast majority, certainly not for me.

Oct 28, 2017
The >| button takes you to the last post. The thread title takes you to first unread.
Well, it took me to page 4 in this thread (which, before today) was the last page I had read (it has 26 with my current post per page settings).

Edit: I would much prefer to be able to click on the thread title and it simply taking me to the first new post as some posters mentioned above. I didn't even know that was a thing on the previous software as I always just clicked on the little icon next to the thread to do this.

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This probably has been asked before, but why is the search bar taking so much space? Who is using search-function all the time? Why not make the search bar small and putt the buttons back for Videogames, EtcetEra and Watched, hate to always have to go thru menus.

Hecht

These are my salad days
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Well, it took me to page 4 in this thread (which, before today) was the last page I had read (it has 26 with my current post per page settings).
Yeah some people are reporting that the >| is being wonky. It's in my list for us to look at.

But it's the same functionality as Night/Day had.

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I would much prefer to be able to click on the thread title and it simply taking me to the first new post as some posters mentioned above. I didn't even know that was a thing on the previous software as I always just clicked on the little icon next to the thread to do this.
That's the intended function and is working fine for me for threads I've viewed since the forum maintenance. For older threads it seems my place in the thread might have been lost.

Oct 25, 2017

Weird, it's always been page 7 for me when it goes wonky, even though I've read way past that page.

Hecht

These are my salad days
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
That's the intended function and is working fine for me for threads I've viewed since the forum maintenance. For older threads it seems my place in the thread might have been lost.
Yes, there's a time limit within XF that automatically "reads" all posts past a certain time. I think it's 30 days.

Oct 27, 2017
please give the option for a Light/Dark Legacy functionality to thread titles and page numbers. I like to click on a topic title and see the OP always. I also want thread numbers back at all costs, even if my Legacy request goes unanswered, MobileERA is a bastardized version of the forum at this point without thread numbers.

Oct 26, 2017
That's because with the zoom+shrinking the window you're basically looking at the screen in "mobile" view. We removed some of those items because it was cluttering up the screen on mobile.
Thanks for the answer. Is it staying that way? I mean, if the user agent isn't set to mobile, it shouldn't act like one, right?

This can be solved with options. I prefer the thread title going to the first page myself
Same.

Hecht

These are my salad days
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the answer. Is it staying that way? I mean, if the user agent isn't set to mobile, it shouldn't act like one, right?
I think it's based on screen size (or resolution size. or whatever the word is for zooming in the screen and shrinking it. Sorry, not the sysadmin :P)

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure if it has been reported yet, but I have noticed a bug with the quick reply box. Normally when you post a message, the quick reply box is automatically emptied afterwards. But if you leave the thread open and refresh it to see if there are more new messages posted after yours, the message you just entered will appear again in the quick reply box.

I had this happen a few times now.

Edit: just checked and it happened again with this message. Post reply -> immediate refresh -> message appears again in the quick reply box.

Edit2:

Here is a quick video on it:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another bug:

Chrome Galaxy S8, the forum is so far left on the screen that the titles are on the sloped, curved part of the screen, even when all of the way zoomed out. This is really bad looking and needs reformatting. Just noticed it now, so maybe just a recent bug.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the list of bugs being tracked in the OP is being updated but I wanted to make sure the issue with "hide" tags not being viewable by anyone was known. Quoting those messages like before only shows "Hidden content" rather than what was hidden.

If at all possible I would prefer hide tags to become in-line click to reveals (just like spoilers, except they only load for logged in users) rather than forcing users to quote the entire message and find the tag again.

Oct 27, 2017
When click on a thread title and open it, it quickly loads, then entire screen fades to white and then it loads in again. Extremely annoying issue.

Firefox on PC here.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you all, but the workaround I've been using is clicking the time and date to take me to the OP (on desktop). It's taken some training, since this is completely opposite from any forum experience I've had previously.
I'm a very long time forum goer myself but having first unread be the largest target is such a quality of life improvement that I've never looked back. Using old forums where I have to click some tiny icon to do what I want to do any time I'm reading a thread feels so archaic to me now and I wish more forums were on board. I would never want to go back to previous behavior because of the way it was arbitrarily designed 20+ years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you all, but the workaround I've been using is clicking the time and date to take me to the OP (on desktop). It's taken some training, since this is completely opposite from any forum experience I've had previously.
I still think an issue with it is the old way was easy to see if there was a new post. This new way just isnt as intuitive as before imo

I'm a very long time forum goer myself but having first unread be the largest target is such a quality of life improvement that I've never looked back. Using old forums where I have to click some tiny icon to do what I want to do any time I'm reading a thread feels so archaic to me now and I wish more forums were on board. I would never want to go back to previous behavior because of the way it was arbitrarily designed 20+ years ago.
I still think an issue with it is the old way was easy to see if there was a new post. This new way just isnt as intuitive as before imo
The way the previous version was designed made a lot of sense to me. Decently sized flags on the side of the screen to indicate an unread thread, and you can simply click the flag to reach the post you left off at. It was more effective than using a different font colour. I don't think that's archaic at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The way the previous version was designed made a lot of sense to me. Decently sized flags on the side of the screen to indicate an unread thread, and you can simply click the flag to reach the post you left off at. It was more effective than using a different font colour. I don't think that's archaic at all.
I don't disagree on whether there should be a clearer visual mark for threads with unread posts (and have in fact made a suggestion to replace the OP avatars with such a mark) but that is separate from wanting the default behavior for clicking the thread title to take me to the latest unread post.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Posts and threads that I make don't seem to be highlighted anymore. I see a thin purple line above my posts in threads, but having them be completely highlighted made them at lot easier to spot as I would scroll down a page.

Also, the expand page button (I guess?) at the bottom of the page doesn't seem to save my settings. I'll use it to get rid of the margins, but at some point it will revert back. It also seems to do it when I open a thread in another tab, but not every time.

Also, are we going to be stuck with the square avatars like we were at the very start? I miss having my whole avatar :/

I don’t doubt that they could have been bad in PMs, but I do want to say that:

1. This is certainly not the first I’ve seen someone post harsh but agreed upon criticism in a thread like this and be hit by a sudden ban of “they’ve had issues with staff before and it was mainly in PMs”, with absolutely no post by staff to explain what just happened or how the criticism was off in any way until questioned. It is a bad look 100% of the time and always makes me wonder if they were actually that bad or if they were just critical a lot. Bans like this should really get a post in the thread explaining (as you did here) how they actually differed from the criticism others were making.

2. Banning people for stuff they said in PMs to staff, and then asking people to PM you about moderation issues is a bit laughable. It certainly does not encourage me to question decisions in any capacity beyond the report button if it’s possibly going to end up being seen as an infraction.
This is actually one of the few posters I have interactions with outside of Era and, while I can't speak for what they say in their PMs, based on my interactions with them that ban was definitely not something I expected. I recall them posting some criticism during the whole Entertainment matter that they thought they might catch a ban for (they didn't), but it seems those threads are gone, so I can't judge how similar their tone was then to this post.