• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed there is an option to turn off thread list avatars. Has that always been there?

Check the "Staff Posts" dropdown at the top of the page :)
Ah, neat! I didn't even know the staff posts dropdown was a thing. Thanks for your team's hard work.

Now I just need to be able to turn off these horribly colored banners and the update will be a net + in my opinion. I also wouldn't mind straight up buttons for the different forums rather than Quick Jump... The layout for 1.0 was perfect in that respect.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to check what I can improve, but this new forum really slows down my old iPad 4. One more good reason to buy a new one soon.
There really needs to be a "light" variation of the current themes which strip out all the CSS effects and other code which is adding fluff that slows down the site on older devices.
Even with a fast device, things like having posts fade-in when viewing a topic is simply annoying. Why would I want to wait a second for that before I can start reading?
The drop shadows are bugged on iOS so that they stretch out the first time you scroll up on a page too.
Wasn't it always like that? And I like it that way, since I don't want any traces from ignored users. Only if I choose to click a button at the bottom.
I don't think so. It definitely still displayed their posts in the topic hidden behind a banner that you could click to view an individual post, rather than having to make all ignored content visible—at least on the dark legacy theme.
Obviously if you are ignoring the content from a certain poster you would rather not see it, and usually within a week or two of me ignoring someone they seem to end up with a permanent ban anyway, but sometimes being able to see their post is important for the context of someone else's reply in a topic.
When you can only see one half of a conversation without any trace of the post they are quoting—not even an indication that they are quoting someone's post, even if you can't see its content—it looks like you're dealing with crazy people.
And there are a handful of topics on my watch list which seem to have been created by someone that I have later ignored. The rest of the content in that topic may be fine, so I don't necessarily want to ignore topics created by a specific person.

In fact, the only topics that I do want to ignore are ones which contain certain keywords, and the new ignore system doesn't work like that. You still have to see, enter, and then ignore a topic. I can't just add a keyword for "Trump" and have all topics containing that in the title removed from existence, for example.

There really needs to be a "light" variation of the current themes which strip out all the CSS effects and other code which is adding fluff that slows down the site on older devices.
Even with a fast device, things like having posts fade-in when viewing a topic is simply annoying. Why would I want to wait a second for that before I can start reading?
The drop shadows are bugged on iOS so that they stretch out the first time you scroll up on a page too.
Yeah, some effects add nothing and only slow down the device.
I really notice the slow downs when trying to type anything on my iPad which now usually results in the cursor being stuck for a while.

I don't think so. It definitely still displayed their posts in the topic hidden behind a banner that you could click to view an individual post, rather than having to make all ignored content visible—at least on the dark legacy theme.
Obviously if you are ignoring the content from a certain poster you would rather not see it, and usually within a week or two of me ignoring someone they seem to end up with a permanent ban anyway, but sometimes being able to see their post is important for the context of someone else's reply in a topic.
When you can only see one half of a conversation without any trace of the post they are quoting—not even an indication that they are quoting someone's post, even if you can't see its content—it looks like you're dealing with crazy people.
And there are a handful of topics on my watch list which seem to have been created by someone that I have later ignored. The rest of the content in that topic may be fine, so I don't necessarily want to ignore topics created by a specific person.

In fact, the only topics that I do want to ignore are ones which contain certain keywords, and the new ignore system doesn't work like that. You still have to see, enter, and then ignore a topic. I can't just add a keyword for "Trump" and have all topics containing that in the title removed from existence, for example.
For me it was definitely like I described on the Light Legacy theme which was very surprising since using the ignore function on other forums still worked the way you mentioned. So is it really just me?

Last edited:
Are avatars meant to be huge and directly on top of posts on mobile?

The text also seems misaligned

Great leaps have been made with the desktop version but mobile is pretty much unusable for me now

We're still miles away from getting the site as usable and clean as legacy, but mobile is awful right now

Can you post a screenshot of this? Also what browser and device are you using?
iPhone 4s (I know, old as hell)

There is also a huge white gap whenever I load a page, and I need to scroll down half a page before I see the first post

(I probably just need a new phone)

Edit: using safari, also pics stay big even when quoted, didn't realise that

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
iPhone 4s (I know, old as hell)

There is also a huge white gap whenever I load a page, and I need to scroll down half a page before I see the first post

(I probably just need a new phone)

Edit: using safari, also pics stay big even when quoted, didn't realise that
That looks all kinds of wrong. We'll see what we can do about this, but my guess is that you're correct that a new phone wouldn't have these issues.

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The first one, it was removed since it seemed to add clutter to mobile view.
The second one, I've added it to my bug list.
Just fixed drafts showing on mobile.

All links to posts work across all posts per page settings.
Thank you for replying. What’s odd is that I see the draft icon now. Did you guys change something?

About the number or replies, it’s not coming back anymore?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but the width toggle option on the desktop mode is not persistent, I'm having to do it everytime I load Era in a new window. It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to toggle it once and leave it.

Oct 25, 2017
Any progress being made on this sidebar?

It's really getting annoying now. It's been days of constantly opening itself and refusing to close when you click the burger.

I do not understand why you haven't just removed it already considering the amount of complaints it has received. It's not a wanted addition, and doesn't really serve any purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
Click the |< arrow to the right of the title. Title takes you to the first unread post.
|< takes you to the OP
>| takes you to last post (though this one has been acting up, we're looking into it)
The thread title continues not to work for me. I'm dying for it to go to the latest page or latest unread, but it always loads the first page on Android Chrome mobile, loading this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it a bad user experience, it breaks peek functionality on iOS, as using it will always set your "unread" position in the thread to the last post now.
How is mapping the most commonly used function to the largest interactive target bad user experience? What is so compelling about the first page that you have to see it over and over before going to actual new content?
Any progress being made on this sidebar?

It's really getting annoying now. It's been days of constantly opening itself and refusing to close when you click the burger.

I do not understand why you haven't just removed it already considering the amount of complaints it has received. It's not a wanted addition, and doesn't really serve any purpose.
I've actually taken a strong liking to the persistent sidebar. I've found it to greatly speed up navigation of the site with it constantly open on desktop and actually spent effort getting it back when I accidentally made hiding it stick for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Bug report

Posting this yet again. This happens with 1/3 of the threads I open in a new tab.

When opening a thread in a new tab and then returning to the previous tab it automatically reloads the page to the last visited tab. I then have to hit back to return to thread list.

Oct 25, 2017
This is how it was in Night/Day (I assume you're talking about Legacy, but it's been this way for a bit).
What's the benefit of last post over last page? I don't get it. It just enables reading less of the thread and skipping right to posting your hot take ASAP. Now I have to scroll up and read reverse chronology to get thread context in long threads.

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Think the site is getting there now... at least on mobile which is where I browse the most. The only things I’d still like to see:
  • Disable the floating top bar and just leave it static; not really that useful to me in its current state but I guess not a huge deal. Would be better if the forums were just direct links instead of a drop down selection here.
  • Smaller thread title box? Not sure that you really need a reply button there - especially on mobile when you wouldn’t have even read the thread itself yet
  • Hide avatars EVERYWHERE. Plus fix the margins/padding on the thread list when it’s disabled
  • Hide images in threads with a spoiler button like before
  • Font size is maybe 1 or 2 pts too small on mobile

That's because with the zoom+shrinking the window you're basically looking at the screen in "mobile" view. We removed some of those items because it was cluttering up the screen on mobile.
IMO having links to pages is fairly useful and not exactly clutter. I'd argue it's more useful than number of views/replies. Is there any way to have at least an option to bring it back?

Oct 27, 2017
How is mapping the most commonly used function to the largest interactive target bad user experience? What is so compelling about the first page that you have to see it over and over before going to actual new content?
They replaced the "most used feature" (going to the first unread post) with avatars. There used to be a nice big icon that you could click, which would change color to indicate read/unread status.
Peek on iOS lets you preview a link without having to visit the page using 3D Touch - so you could quickly preview the first post and see if you wanted to read it, without having to visit the page, go back, and wait for the topic list to refresh (another "feature" the update brought).
Now if you peek a thread, and later open it, you are taken to the last post in the topic because it thinks you have read up to that point.
The large headers don't help with peek either, as all the junk at the top of a page takes up half the preview window now.

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't really a feature request thread, but is it possible to maybe be able to mark created threads as unmarked spoilers and disable the mouseover preview? I've noticed when scrolling they sometimes pop up and I can imagine if a thread with unmarked spoilers inside was accidentally hovered over it would reveal things

Oct 25, 2017
Site seems to be moving faster every day?

Currently my only issue is that when you remove avatars to the left of threads the thread titles on the forum page are all the way to the left with no padding. I’m assuming y’all are aware of this?

Thanks!!

Oct 25, 2017
I’ve noticed when I post videos from YouTube it says “video unavailable”. But that’s false. It is available. What gives?

Tons of YouTube videos have that option and it's a nightmare in huge threads because you get hit by the loading bandwidth cost on mobile, and yet if you accidentally click the wrong part of the video while trying to hit the title and actually jump to YouTube itself, the whole video gets deactivated. Now you get to reload the whole page, possibly eat the bandwidth again if it's not loaded from cache, and then hope it reloads in the same spot so you can find the video you were actually attempting to watch.

I think at least one of the dev team also wants an option to disable all embeds (at least videos) and replace with links, which would be ideal.

I don't think anything can prevent it since it's a choice on the YouTube video owner's side, so a lot of video-embed-heavy threads are actually useless unless you click all the titles instead (have fun with big thumbs on mobile :P).

General bug I just noticed: If you disable the sidebar now, the right and left half of the screen on desktop is still wasted. Now you just have like 2 inches of solid white on each side.