Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still feel like the top nav needs to return in some shape or form. Having Hangouts hidding in the sidebar nav and having to actually expand the ETCETERA arrow to get to it is majorly annoying. subforum nav should be in your face for ease of discovery.
I think it's funny that the idea behind the forum restructuring that was quickly reversed was to give more exposure to threads that got buried in Hangouts and now they've buried Hangouts even more.

I have a watched thread not showing up in the watched section. Is it normal?
Read Staff Posts.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple oddities:
  • I accidentally un-watched all of my threads at once, and since then have been unable to re-watch certain threads. If I browse them manually, I can see that I'm watching them, but updates never show up on my watched list. This seems to apply to threads I was previously watching, as I've been able to watch new threads without issue.
  • If you choose to turn off avatars next to threads on the main page, there is no left-padding on mobile.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I'd like to say as a huge fan of the first era iteration, I'm enjoying 2.0 on mobile. The floating button top to bottom enabling did good work. I think the banners need a minimum height or more options but that's about it

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to make the topic fonts all the same size for the mobile site? Instead of some some small, some big. It's driving me nuts

less

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to make the topic fonts all the same size for the mobile site? Instead of some some small, some big. It's driving me nuts
Hmm? Thread titles? They should be the same same size. Can you show me a screenshot?

There is no option for it, and no one will address it, really annoying.
It is being worked on and should be ready within the coming weeks if things go well.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I'm most unhappy about is the move to first unread feature of clicking the topic title.. Personally, I don't really understand the reasoning of this functionality, but that may be because I use the forum differently than most?

There's like never a time where I've stopped reading on a page that isn't the last page (at that time) where I want go back to later on when the thread has grown. It seems to me like this option assumes I always want to read all replies of a topic as of I'm reading a book. Also, I guess it also assumes that I remember all the older posts, because it scrolls to the new one, making me scroll up to see what the new posts are replying to exactly.

The only times I might go to the first unread post, is if I had reached the last post on previous visit. But even then, only on slow moving topics. Usually I prefer going to the last page (not last post) of a topic to read the latest discussion points. Moving to last post on fast moving topics feels so useless.

Moving to last page, I can still do on desktop, but unfortunately not on mobile.
Would be great if the fast forward button moves you to the last page on mobile.

I'll never get used to using the main topic link and end up at a (to me) random post.

Perfect situation would be: topic title link is first post. One button on the right for go to last unread and lastly, leave the last pages clickable on desktop where they are now, but also always show just the last page number clickable on mobile to move to top of that page.

And also would like to echo missing the direct links between gaming and etc., don't like the quick jump.

Edit: I appreciate all the hard work by the way, and this version is better than the new themes of 1.0. Just not as good as the old themes.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm? Thread titles? They should be the same same size. Can you show me a screenshot?
Sure. Take a look at the TGA's thread in the middle, random thread titles are big like that.

(I am not logged in for this screenshot, but it also happens when logged in. I had just tried clearing the site's cache right before this.)

Is there anyway to hide the massive thread title banner thing on mobile?
Are you referring to the same issue I am having in this screenshot?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I hate, hate, hate the preview bubble on hover for every thread link. Is there any option to turn that off on a use level, or maybe relegate it to a specific UI element instead of the entire linked thread title?
This is what I use:

Code:
/* Disable Link Preview Tooltip on Hover */
.tooltip.tooltip--preview.tooltip--top {
    display: none !important;
}

/* Disable User Profile Preview Tooltip on Hover */
.tooltip.tooltip--member {
    display: none !important;
}

Oct 25, 2017
On iOS Safari on iPhone.

With avatars disabled on thread view, there’s no space between the edge of the screen and text. It looks a bit tight.

Any chance of adding some space?

Oct 27, 2017
Please return the ban/warning messages to red or at least not almost-invisible as they are currently in dark theme.

For the first time ever last night I was unable to watch a live event stream (TGA on Twitch) on one monitor wile refreshing Era on the other - the site is now so heavy on either bandwidth or CPU my (admittedly fairly old) secondary desktop PC was unable to cope with the refreshes and would stutter the stream every time :(

Oct 27, 2017
On iOS Safari on iPhone.

With avatars disabled on thread view, there’s no space between the edge of the screen and text. It looks a bit tight.

Any chance of adding some space?
Noticing this as well. It definitely needs some buffer space on the left hand side.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Take a look at the TGA's thread in the middle, random thread titles are big like that.

(I am not logged in for this screenshot, but it also happens when logged in. I had just tried clearing the site's cache right before this.)

Are you referring to the same issue I am having in this screenshot?
I am having the exact same issue. I thought it was a "feature" at first to highlight trending threads.

Oct 25, 2017
May have been reported before, but I figured it's worth pointing out again:

A bunch of threads I'm watching aren't appearing on Watched Threads. The threads that are missing from the list still show as watched when browsing inside. Unwatching and watching again doesn't fix the issue either.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
fair point, I'll do that
I knew people still wouldn't read the thread title but it's nice to more easily know who those people are. ;)

May have been reported before, but I figured it's worth pointing out again:

A bunch of threads I'm watching aren't appearing on Watched Threads. The threads that are missing from the list still show as watched when browsing inside. Unwatching and watching again doesn't fix the issue either.

Oct 25, 2017
WATCHED THREADS HAVE BEEN RESTORED !!!

I'm happy now :)
Have they? I still only see 2 of mine... One was watched before the upgrade, the other I watched afterwards. I've tried unwatching and watching the threads I can't see from before the upgrade but it doesn't make a difference.

Oct 25, 2017
Moving to last page, I can still do on desktop, but unfortunately not on mobile.
Would be great if the fast forward button moves you to the last page on mobile.

I'll never get used to using the main topic link and end up at a (to me) random post.

Perfect situation would be: topic title link is first post. One button on the right for go to last unread and lastly, leave the last pages clickable on desktop where they are now, but also always show just the last page number clickable on mobile to move to top of that page.
The only times it should be coming up to a random post on a thread you've not viewed at any point is it the thread is so old that some posts have fallen past the x days old threshold XF has for automatically marking posts "read".

This seems to come up enough times that maybe it should be checked if the read state is being parsed correctly server side. I haven't personally run into any unexpected behavior, however.

Have they? I still only see 2 of mine... One was watched before the upgrade, the other I watched afterwards. I've tried unwatching and watching the threads I can't see from before the upgrade but it doesn't make a difference.
Read the staff posts on this thread to see the published temporary workaround.

Oct 26, 2017
Actually... I didn't do anything. Not even the temp fix :x The whole list just kind of showed up again. The new/trending topic lists also finally updated. I figured they all got fixed finally (maybe a slow rollout?)

Oct 27, 2017
The only times it should be coming up to a random post on a thread you've not viewed at any point is it the thread is so old that some posts have fallen past the x days old threshold XF has for automatically marking posts "read".
Oh I didn't mean truly random, I meant that to me it feels random, because I don't expect or want it to go to the latest unread.

The most 'random' to me though are the following situations:

1. I open a never before read topic with one page by clicking the title. I don't scroll. I move back. I click the title again. I automatically end up at the last reply in the topic.

2. I open a never before read topic with multiple pages by clicking the title. I don't scroll. I move back. I click the same title again. I end up at page two.

I understand why it happens, technically, but it confuses me so often so far already. That link, in my mind, should always have the same result.

Hell theoretically I could have forgotten I've already opened a topic. You don't see any kind of icon or so right? Some kind of pointer that the link now sends you to last unread?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't mean truly random, I meant that to me it feels random, because I don't expect or want it to go to the latest unread.

The most 'random' to me though are the following situations:

1. I open a never before read topic with one page by clicking the title. I don't scroll. I move back. I click the title again. I automatically end up at the last reply in the topic.

2. I open a never before read topic with multiple pages by clicking the title. I don't scroll. I move back. I click the same title again. I end up at page two.

I understand why it happens, technically, but it confuses me so often so far already. That link, in my mind, should always have the same result.

Hell theoretically I could have forgotten I've already opened a topic. You don't see any kind of icon or so right? Some kind of pointer that the link now sends you to last unread?
I much, much, much prefer the current function of thread titles being the link to newest unread - it's the function I want 99.9% of the time, so it should be the function of the largest target. This was the implementation ResetEra originally launched with and what it returned to with the 1.5 update, and until this week I used 1.5 over the legacy theme purely because of how much of a difference this makes in my viewing.

The day they make the thread title go to the first page only is the day I stop using ResetEra.

This post from earlier in the thread explains it way better than I could:
I detest clicking a thread title going to the OP. The original Era implementation made a break from GAF in letting thread titles go to unread posts, and it was an outstanding change, one of the single most positive user-friendly modifications that was made.

Advantages:
* 90% of the time I browse, and I can only assume most users browse, the OP is not something that is typically referenced. Reading it once or twice is good, and in a few isolated instances, there may be a community OP that needs checked often for some reason, like a contest or news collection thread.
* As someone at risk for carpal tunnel / wrist injuries, having to reach way across my phone with my thumb to touch a tiny icon on the left side actively hurts my hands and makes usability worse for me. Since I assume most users are righthanded, this is another thing I would guess applies to most users.
* In the new UI, the icon is on the right (and currently unreliable). This is better for right-handed users, but is also close to another button and close to the edge of the screen, so it's still bad for both hand/wrist injuries and people with big thumbs like me.
* It's simple and follows the practical GUI paradigm of the most common feature being the easiest, most accessible, and triggered via the largest interactive element. The less common case of people who need to frequently access OPs would still be available, just using a smaller icon since their use case is smaller (and ideally, they could change the behavior via an option).

Disadvantages:
* Some users need to frequently check OPs. I still struggle to understand how this can be a common thing, but I understand there are certain threads where this can be useful. I just do not believe it to be the vast majority, certainly not for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I much, much, much prefer the current function of thread titles being the link to newest unread - it's the function I want 99.9% of the time, so it should be the function of the largest target. This was the implementation ResetEra originally launched with and what it returned to with the 1.5 update, and until this week I used 1.5 over the legacy theme purely because of how much of a difference this makes in my viewing.

The day they make the thread title go to the first page only is the day I stop using ResetEra.

This post from earlier in the thread explains it way better than I could:
I used a script on GAF for years to do this then when Era got rid of it after launching with it I used a script here to do it again and I never had to bother with the 1.5 themes. I kinda wish the thread title always included "/unread" even for read threads (this would make it the same as the last post arrow in this scenario) because I almost never need to read the OP again and sometimes I want to post in a thread I've already read hours later and I hate having to use the arrow on the right side of the screen instead of where my cursor is already. Guess I'll have to figure out how to add "/unread" to urls of only read threads.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be okay with the title going either to newest unread or the latest page, especially since there are hover button options to jump to the top for those who want that.

As long as there is a way to get to the last page and a way to get to the newest post, both parties can be happy. Unfortunately at least for this thread, that remains not to be the case for me. If I click the title, i get the first page. If I click the right arrow, I get page 7. I always have to use 2-3 clicks to see whatever is new in this thread. :(

The old solution with a button at the bottom to jump to the top was ideal since I do not like the hover buttons in terms of look, animation, or interaction.

Hecht

Welp
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I would be okay with the title going either to newest unread or the latest page, especially since there are hover button options to jump to the top for those who want that.

As long as there is a way to get to the last page and a way to get to the newest post, both parties can be happy. Unfortunately at least for this thread, that remains not to be the case for me. If I click the title, i get the first page. If I click the right arrow, I get page 7. I always have to use 2-3 clicks to see whatever is new in this thread. :(

The old solution with a button at the bottom to jump to the top was ideal since I do not like the hover buttons in terms of look, animation, or interaction.
This is probably a dumb question and may not fix it, but I'm curious if clearing your cache fixes it.

Oct 25, 2017

What is your posts per page setting set to? Does messing with that change anything?

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Watched Threads is using the Latest Threads filter.

So if you don't clear filters from Latest Threads some Watched Threads are hidden.

Cerium Hecht
bumping this. why doesn't latest threads just have ALL forums checked by default? i thought something was wrong with latest/watchest threads until i realized that i had to check all the boxes. now i can finally see all my old watched threads as well as the actual latest threads being created.

edit: weird, unchecking everything also seems to work now. perhaps there was some browser cache issue or this reset something.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Did the top bar's behavior just change? It now disappears when scrolling down a page, and only reappears when you scroll up some.

Don't see an option to change this, but I'd prefer it being permanently visible.

Just checked, and it's still permanently fixed on mobile view — just not on desktop. Using Safari on both.

Edit: ...Now it's going back and forth between the two behaviors on desktop. Weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing some setting, or are new watched threads not getting added to my Watched page anymore? They even have the eye icon next to them on the topic list but the last threads that show up on my Watched page are ones I watched pre-2.0.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a dumb question and may not fix it, but I'm curious if clearing your cache fixes it.
What is your posts per page setting set to? Does messing with that change anything?
I tried switching to a complete different browser where it wouldn't have been cached. I had to login fresh to Era, use an authenticator code, etc.

I changed posts per page to 60. Clicking the title of this thread still took me to the OP, and clicking the right arrow from the off-topic forum took me to page 6 this time.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, on a Windows 10 tablet with Chrome, the front page and watched threads have half the page be a solid gray box, but threads display properly.