• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 25, 2017
France
One of my lurker friends (who has an account) says the left menu always comes back when he loads a new page. He tried on three different browsers. And once he's in a thread he can't even make the menu go away (yes he does click the hamburger). Sorry I haven't really followed the thread, but is it a common bug?

Oh and count me in #teampurple for titles.

Oct 25, 2017
oh there was an actual change to the color. I legit thought I had marked all threads read somehow.
Please change it back lol
Seriously, I was afraid about that too lol.

I don’t know why we can’t just have it be like before, where Watched defaults to only unread.

Oct 25, 2017
The new color change is good -- anything that reduces the amount of purple is massively appreciated. However some sort of color vs. gray might be the optimal solution to contrast between read and unread.

Is there any way to get the Android Chrome tab not to have a massive purple border? I have a ton of tabs open and Era is literally the only one that puts a weird border color.

Also, my browser is still filling in the last post I entered in reply boxes.

Also, please add me to the crowd begging for date search to be the default rather than relevance. It seems to potentially be impossible to do in a post search inside a thread, and it's a pain for outside-thread searches.

Nov 5, 2017
Hey guys,

I use the Brave browser in Android and Resetera is all but unusable with it.

There are graphical bugs in the home screen

Can't reply in threads

Can't expend quoted text

Can't use quick navigate

Is this solely an issue with the browser, it can this be repaired on your end?

Thanks

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I have problem with Alerts and notifications for days now: sometime it works automatically as it should and sometimes doesn't work at all and i have to click on Alerts manually to receive new alerts.

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the page numbers under the thread titles? On a large thread that I've already started, I don't necessarily want to go to either the first page or the last post, sometimes I like to jump in a couple pages back from the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Been messing around with the CSS and I've been able to pretty much get a lot of my issues resolved pretty easily:

Removing the extra click in the header navigation:

Fixing the performance issue with the footer:

Making threads more 'compact', allowing for you to see more on screen at once (Also removing unnecessary visual effects for performance improvements):

Making your posts (and your posts being quoted) stand out better - the small top border isn't really enough to make them stand out enough in my opinion:

Making sticky threads stand out better, and also removing the OP user icon:

Removing the Rellax animations from the home page (Significantly improving performance, especially for users that aren't logged in so the 'Welcome to ResetEra' header is visible). The performance on the homepage is honestly some of the worst I've seen when you're not logged in:

I don't know, it just seems like usability has taken a back seat to visuals and animations. Not a huge deal since I can just run these modifications in an extension, but we shouldn't have to do that to make the site as performant and easy to use as it was before.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Been messing around with the CSS and I've been able to pretty much get a lot of my issues resolved pretty easily:

Making threads more 'compact', allowing for you to see more on screen at once (Also removing unnecessary visual effects for performance improvements):

Making your posts (and your posts being quoted) stand out better - the small top border isn't really enough to make them stand out enough in my opinion:

Removing the Rellax animations from the home page (Significantly improving performance, especially for users that aren't logged in so the 'Welcome to ResetEra' header is visible). The performance on the homepage is honestly some of the worst I've seen when you're not logged in:

I don't know, it just seems like usability has taken a back seat to visuals and animations. Not a huge deal since I can just run these modifications in an extension, but we shouldn't have to do that to make the site as performant and easy to use as it was before.
Looks great. Honestly, the side bar menu should be completely removed site wide. All of its functionality is in the top bar already (save theme switching, which doesn't need to be there anyways as it's at the bottom of all pages).

Oct 27, 2017

How do I install this?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My biggest problem in making my desktop experience so good with CSS and scripts is it makes browsing the site on my iPhone so much worse in comparison because I can't do the same.

• Quick Jump removed and replaced with links to everything I want
  • Search field shrunk and moved to the right to give room for those links
  • Logo = unread, no logo = read
  • All thread titles link to "/unread" no matter what so it acts like normal for unread threads and jumps to the last post for read threads
  • Proper post and quote highlighting in a colour of my choosing
  • Removed a bunch of spacing so I get more threads and posts on screen at the same time
  • Quotes are always expanded
  • Removed the stupid purple "swoop" at the bottom
  • A hide thread script that lets me filter by keywords or hit an "X" next to a title without having to enter the thread and it all ties into the site's native thread hiding so they're hidden on mobile also

I just need to add an inline refresh button (anyone wanna figure that out for me?) and I think I'll be all set on desktop.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-unofficial-dark-theme.807/
https://userstyles.org/styles/165948/resetera-2-0-darkera (use Stylus instead of Stylish)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/by-popular-demand-the-return-of-hide-forum-threads.35590/

Last edited:

Keym

Oct 26, 2017
I miss the purple text on threads with new posts. There should be some kind of additional indicator if you don't want to go with the purple text color.

Oct 25, 2017
The site seems to be running faster than it was last week? Still not as fast as the prior version. Are y’all still testing that or happy with the performance?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure this has been posted, but there is a weird "fade in" when you browse to different pages. You see it if you go on the main page, but I've seen it happen elsewhere.

Also another thing I always find annoying is when pages aren't expanded to their full size right away, instead as images load the page will expand. I think it happens with ads, yet the space the ads occupy are already known.

Anyway, minor issues, just thought I'd mention them.

Oct 27, 2017
How do I install this?
I'm using an extension called Stylus with this CSS. I didn't bother making it work with the light theme as I always use dark, so there's probably some things that would need to be modified to get it to work there. I'd much rather have this kind of stuff just added to the actual site theme, but this would work until/if that happens.

Code:
/*-----------------------rellax / footer / clear ad---*/
div.re_footer--secondaryBg, div.re_footer--tertiaryBg {
    display: none;
}

div.rellax {
    display: none !important;
    transform: none !important;
}

div.uix_extendedFooter {
}

div.re_footer--bg {
}

/*-----------------------shadows---*/
.block-container,
.message-cell.message-cell--main,
.uix_headerContainer .p-navSticky.is-sticky>* {
    box-shadow: none;
}

/*-----------------------tooltips---*/
div.tooltip {
}

/*-----------------------sticky threads---*/
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(odd) {
    background: #32323e;
}
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(even),
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(odd):hover {
    background: #373744;
}
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(even):hover {
    background: #40404e;
}

/*-----------------------borders---*/
.message-cell.message-cell--main {
    border-radius: 0px !important;
}

/*-----------------------posts---*/
div.message-cell--user {
    background: #2A2A2C !important;
}
article.message--post {
    margin-top: 0px !important;
    border-top: 2px solid #1c1b1b !important;
}
.bbCodeBlock--expandable,
.bbCodeBlock,
.block--messages .message, .js-quickReply .message, .block--messages .block-row, .js-quickReply .block-row {
}

/*-----------------------thread title---*/
.thTopic--header:not(.cover) .pageContent, [class*="node-header"]:not(.cover) .pageContent {
    padding: 8px;
    background: none;
}
.node-header-2:not(.thTopic--header) {
}
.p-body-inner .p-body-header {
    margin-bottom: 0px;
}
.node-header-7:not(.thTopic--header),
.memberHeader-main.p-body-header.cover:before, .memberHeader-main.menu-row--highlighted.cover:before, .memberHeader-main.cover:before, .p-body-header.p-body-header.cover:before, .p-body-header.menu-row--highlighted.cover:before, .p-body-header.cover:before {
    background: none !important;
}

/*-----------------------my posts---*/
article.re_message--selfPost > div.message-inner > div.message-cell--user,
article.re_message--selfPost > div.message-inner > div.message-cell--main {
    background: #32323e !important;
}
.re_message--selfPost .message-cell.message-cell--main {
    border-top: none;
}
.re_message--selfQuote .bbCodeBlock-title ~ div.bbCodeBlock-content {
    background: #404054 !important;
}

/*-----------------------thread user icons---*/
.structItem-cell.structItem-cell--icon {
}

/*-----------------------header links---*/
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content {
    display: inline !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow {
    display: inline-block !important;
    width: 30px !important;
    height: 30px !important;
    overflow: hidden;
    color: transparent;
    background: transparent;
    padding: 0px !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(1):before {
    content: '\F297';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(2):before {
    content: '\f2ce';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(3):before {
    content: '\FB55';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(4):before {
    content: '\f848';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(5):before {
    content: '\f535';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(6):before {
    content: '\F6cf';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:hover:before {
    color: white !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:before {
    display: inline-block;
    font: normal normal normal 18px/1 "Material Design Icons";
    font-size: 26px;
    text-rendering: auto;
    line-height: 1;
    -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
    -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
    transform: translate(0, 0);
    width: auto !important;
    color: #9e9fa2 !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu {
    display: block !important;
    opacity: 1;
    box-shadow: none !important;
    position: inherit !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > button.menuTrigger {
}

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using an extension called Stylus with this CSS. I didn't bother making it work with the light theme as I always use dark, so there's probably some things that would need to be modified to get it to work there. I'd much rather have this kind of stuff just added to the actual site theme, but this would work until/if that happens.
Do you mind if I add in your navigation button replacement to my theme as an option, with a couple slight modifications?

Oct 27, 2017

Code:
/*-----------------------rellax / footer / clear ad---*/
div.re_footer--secondaryBg, div.re_footer--tertiaryBg {
}

div.rellax {
    transform: none !important;
}

div.uix_extendedFooter {
}

div.re_footer--bg {
}

/*-----------------------shadows---*/
.block-container,
.message-cell.message-cell--main,
.uix_headerContainer .p-navSticky.is-sticky>* {
    box-shadow: none;
}

/*-----------------------tooltips---*/
div.tooltip {
}

/*-----------------------sticky threads---*/
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(odd) {
    background: #32323e;
}
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(even),
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(odd):hover {
    background: #373744;
}
div.structItemContainer-group--sticky > div.structItem--thread:nth-child(even):hover {
    background: #40404e;
}

/*-----------------------borders---*/
.message-cell.message-cell--main {
}

/*-----------------------posts---*/
div.message-cell--user {
    background: #2A2A2C !important;
}
article.message--post {
    margin-top: 0px !important;
    border-top: 2px solid #1c1b1b !important;
}
.bbCodeBlock--expandable,
.bbCodeBlock,
.block--messages .message, .js-quickReply .message, .block--messages .block-row, .js-quickReply .block-row {
}

/*-----------------------thread title---*/
.thTopic--header:not(.cover) .pageContent, [class*="node-header"]:not(.cover) .pageContent {
    padding: 8px;
}
.node-header-2:not(.thTopic--header) {
}
.p-body-inner .p-body-header {
    margin-bottom: 0px;
}
.node-header-7:not(.thTopic--header),
.memberHeader-main.p-body-header.cover:before, .memberHeader-main.menu-row--highlighted.cover:before, .memberHeader-main.cover:before, .p-body-header.p-body-header.cover:before, .p-body-header.menu-row--highlighted.cover:before, .p-body-header.cover:before {
}

/*-----------------------my posts---*/
article.re_message--selfPost > div.message-inner > div.message-cell--user,
article.re_message--selfPost > div.message-inner > div.message-cell--main {
    background: #32323e !important;
}
.re_message--selfPost .message-cell.message-cell--main {
    border-top: none;
}
.re_message--selfQuote .bbCodeBlock-title ~ div.bbCodeBlock-content {
    background: #404054 !important;
}

/*-----------------------thread user icons---*/
.structItem-cell.structItem-cell--icon {
}

/*-----------------------header links---*/
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content {
    display: inline !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow {
    display: inline-block !important;
    width: 30px !important;
    height: 30px !important;
    overflow: hidden;
    color: transparent;
    padding: 0px !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(1):before {
    content: '\F297';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(2):before {
    content: '\f2ce';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(3):before {
    content: '\FB55';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(4):before {
    content: '\f848';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(5):before {
    content: '\f535';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:nth-child(6):before {
    content: '\F6cf';
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:hover:before {
    color: white !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu > div.menu-content > a.menu-linkRow:before {
    display: inline-block;
    font: normal normal normal 18px/1 "Material Design Icons";
    font-size: 26px;
    text-rendering: auto;
    line-height: 1;
    -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
    -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
    transform: translate(0, 0);
    width: auto !important;
    color: #9e9fa2 !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > div.menu {
    display: block !important;
    opacity: 1;
    box-shadow: none !important;
    position: inherit !important;
}
div.p-header-logo ~ div.buttonGroup-buttonWrapper > button.menuTrigger {
}
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the purple text on threads with new posts. There should be some kind of additional indicator if you don't want to go with the purple text color.
I second this, actually liked the purple. Or at least bring back the purple dot or something, I stared at my watch list for way too long trying to figure out what was new and what wasn't

Oct 25, 2017
Homeworld
I'm having a small issue with the search bar on mobile. It works fine from the main page, but if I try to use search from anywhere else on the site, I go to type and the keyboard pops up and then immediately disappears.

Using Samsung Browser.

Oct 27, 2017
On iOS Safari, I do think the left hand padding is better than it was before, but it could probably still use a small bump in.

Maybe it’s just because I prefer the slickdeals basic html page on mobile, but I like the look of the border around the edge. I know it’s a bit drastic so it’s not really a suggestion but I like the space it provides for the thread list:

Feb 24, 2018
Okay, just tested this and gifs loaded from imgur and being viewed on Chrome cannot be seen by the end-user on ERA. Only users on Firefox can see gifs loaded from imgur. Is something going on on ERA's end?

Oct 25, 2017
its gettin old having to turn the sidebar off and scroll down to press the toggle width button everytime i visit the site
not sure if its a bug but these settings dont seem to want to stay

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the purple thread titles if only because it was easier to tell what was a read vs unread thread. So either an option to bring that back or some other kind of more obvious indicator would be nice!
Keep up the great work, y'all!

Edge

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Posting pictures isn't working anymore. After pasting a link into the field it just says "contact the administrator".
If I do it manually with img tags the picture isn't appearing.

I really hope that's because you finally get rid of the new introduced awful picture system.
If not, maybe this bug finally shows it's time.

It's garbage and it has to go.
(My by far biggest negative point in 2.0)

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have issues with media not loading properly? I think it’s only been for IG posts, but occasionally once the page has finished loading only a small part of the top of the IG post will load. If I refresh the page it’ll load properly, but this has happened 2 or 3 times now.

Oct 25, 2017
I've figured out one bug I think? With the left sidebar hidden on Windows Firefox, I was seeing massive empty space on either side. It turns out that only happens maximized on my 1920x1080 monitor. On my 1680x1050 monitor it's fine for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can someone please tell me what I have to add to my Style to get the old purple thread titles back?
I preferred the purple thread titles if only because it was easier to tell what was a read vs unread thread. So either an option to bring that back or some other kind of more obvious indicator would be nice!
Keep up the great work, y'all!
got it.
.is-unread .structItem-title
{
color: #7f54bc
}

Oct 25, 2017
A couple quick notes:

Entering something in the search bar at the top of a page with the pulldown set to "This Thread" searches site-wide. Because of that, it was hard to search this thread to see if anyone already mentioned this.

Anyway, the side menu really annoys me. I don't need to see all those options when I seldom need them. So I do one of the following (on vivaldi, via Chrome extensions:

A) with the CJS (Custom Javascript for Websites) extension...
document.body.onload = function () {
document.getElementsByClassName('uix_sidebarNav')[0].style.display = 'none';
document.getElementsByClassName('p-body-inner')[0].style.setProperty( 'margin-left', '25px' );
document.getElementsByClassName('p-body-inner')[0].style.setProperty( 'margin-right', '25px' );
document.getElementsByClassName('p-body-inner')[0].style.setProperty( 'width', '100%' );
}

B) with the User CSS extension...
.uix_sidebarNav { display: none; }
.p-body-inner { margin-left: 25px }
.p-body-inner { margin-right: 25px }
.p-body-inner { width: 100% }

Unfortunately, this solutions both permanently disable the menu, meaning you have to temporarily disable the extension for this site if you want to use any of the functions therein. The User CSS method doesn't seem to lock in the width properly, so it has a hefty margin on the right. The javascript method only kicks in once the site has been fully loaded, which can be an incredibly long time sometimes, rendering it useless depending on how overloaded Era is on any given day.

Still, it's been fun trying to subvert the defaults. :D

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we're going to get a setting that turns the sidebar off permanently? If that's how it's supposed to be already I haven't seen anyone say it's working.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Imgur embeds don't seem to work in Firefox anymore.
They're cutting in and out for me (using Chrome). Viewing threads signed out in incognito mode seems to display images more reliably. For instance, looking at the Toonami thread normally, most of the images in the first part of the OP don't show up, but they all display when I open the page in incognito mode. I first noticed this 'cause an embedded Imgur image I posted in the TransERA thread hasn't been showing up most of the time, but if I refresh the page enough sometimes it will.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if we're going to get a setting that turns the sidebar off permanently? If that's how it's supposed to be already I haven't seen anyone say it's working.
The "User CSS" solution I just posted makes it go away permanently (it may appear at the beginning of your page load briefly, depending on your individual case, but generally it'll stay away). Downside, as I said, is that clicking the hamburger menu won't bring it up. Also, via that method I've been unable to get the width to go over 1024-ish pixels wide (there's a big margin on the right side).

edit: clicking said hamburger menu actually fixes the margin issue albeit temporarily.

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
By the way. This was my Firefox today. 😂😂😂

Whoever wrote the code for this forum really must have used a billion node packages.

rn with a few tabs, it's at about 8GB just for era . . . Can we get a light version of the site?

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
By the way. This was my Firefox today. 😂😂😂

Whoever wrote the code for this forum really must have used a billion node packages.

rn with a few tabs, it's at about 8GB just for era . . . Can we get a light version of the site?
Pretty sure that's a you/Firefox issue lol

I have 85 chrome tabs open atm (5 of which are Era) and I'm only using 5.5gb of RAM.