• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
im having an issue where threads im replying to are being automatically watched, but they don't show up on my "watched threads" list, i only have old watched threads there.

Aigis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please have some sort of list that shows what the team is looking into and has heard. I get stuff takes time to do, but I dont think people should have to again and again bring stuff up. I have no clue what is going on with this, I think it would be way better a situation for everyone if there was some communication

Oct 25, 2017
Is there way to make the site stay in wide mode? Seems like it reverts to being squished every time I come back.
Seriously this is the worst. It should just be a goddamn setting. Tired of having to click this button which btw is so far down I bet a lot of people don't know about it.

Also bring back red boxes for warns and bans. Maybe make warns yellow idk.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but whenever I load a topic, it loads, but then a few seconds later the entire topic reloads again. Like it's refreshing for some reason.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There's a "toggle width" button hiding in the bottom [which is a really great function by the way], but it keeps forgetting my preference. I don't see a similar setting in the Settings menu where I can definately toggle to my preference.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
When I reply to a thread it forgets to clear the text box for some reason. The next time I reply to the same thread it still has my previous entry in there, and I have to manually clear it.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we fucking turn off that "title takes to latest page" bullshit?
It impacts usability.
I opened a thread or two on desktop, to be flung to the second page. I had accidentally opened those same threads earlier on mobile, with no intent to read them then. Really frustrating needing to constantly think about using those damn small arrows near the edge, completely unnatural. If i didn't double check them, i would've been inclined to close them as thinking i had accidentally opened wrong threads or opened another thread from page whatever.

Also annoyed at the sidebar popping open after closing the browser. I don't need it, and i hate that i have to close it manually everytime.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we fucking turn off that "title takes to latest page" bullshit?
It impacts usability.
I opened a thread or two on desktop, to be flung to the second page. I had accidentally opened those same threads earlier on mobile, with no intent to read them then. Really frustrating needing to constantly think about using those damn small arrows near the edge, completely unnatural. If i didn't double check them, i would've been inclined to close them as thinking i had accidentally opened wrong threads or opened another thread from page whatever.

Also annoyed at the sidebar popping open after closing the browser. I don't need it, and i hate that i have to close it manually everytime.
I'd like to share my opinion as well.

Can we please keep the "title takes to latest page" feature?

It impacts usability. I opened a thread or two on desktop with the previous method, only to be flung to the first page. I had accidentally clicked the massive, easy-to-click title, with no intent of rereading an OP I've already seen 5 times and hardly ever need to read more than once. Really frustrating needing to constantly think about using those damn small arrows near the edge, or the damn small icon on the far left side in the previous Era version, completely unnatural. If i didn't double check them, i might've been inclined to close them as thinking i had accidentally opened wrong threads or opened another thread from page whatever.

I'll also add that as someone with huge hands and carpal tunnel risk, it can give me hand cramps / pain if I try to browse much on mobile and I'm forced to use the tiny icons on the left (old) or right (new) extreme edges of the phone, since I use a phone case and it's hard to accurately hit those compared to hitting the thread title. In addition, I might need to reread an OP 5% of the time so it's always infuriating to get slapped with a giant, image-filled OP that eats mobile data that I've already seen 10 times.

I agree 100% about the sidebar though.

Oct 27, 2017
Just checking in to say mobile Era still sucks complete ass. So many extra hoops to jump through to make it usable...

Page numbers
Refresh page button
1 button navigation icons for the different forums and subforums
Title should aways go to first post (or have option to set it that way in settings)

Come on guys...

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
My biggest gripe is the thread preview on desktop, please give us an option to turn it off.

Also I don't browse on mobile any more, it's really slow for me and my browser constantly crashes.

Oct 25, 2017
A few issues here.
I'm missing some Watched Threads and adding new ones doesnt work.

On Mobile, I keep getting this message when people embed tweets.

Now, I know I'm using an Ad Blocker, but I dont have this on my PC and that has a blocker as well.
Is this a known issue or something I just have to deal with due to using an ad blocker? It was fine before this big overhaul using a blocker.

Deleted member 46568

User requested account closure
Aug 9, 2018
I'm having issues with the sidebar on a desktop (Win10) under Opera. Sometimes the sidebar will auto close, sometimes it will be open and have to be closed manually. Sometimes it will be open and can't be closed or closed and can't be opened. It looks like some of the behaviour (auto close or not) might be dictated by browser width but it's inconsistent so I can't be sure. I personally would love it to default to auto close but realise this wouldn't suit everyone so I think some options to allow people to set their preferred behaviour would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
Outside of the one time it didn't the other day, the quick reply windows back to not clearing out after I post. I understand why theres a search bar at the top of a forum when theres already one on the top menu bar? Thats one of a few weirdly redundant things I've noticed about 2.0. The sidebar things weird. When you're logged out theres no sidebar period. When I log in I have to close it but it remembers that through the whole rest of my session which is good. Can't imagine how much of a pain it must be to account for so many different browsers/versions/etc. Staffs doing good work all the same!

btw for the record I'm on teams:
- thread title should take ya to the first post
- down with thread previews
- # of replies should be displayed before # of views
An prolly some others I'm not thinking of.

Oct 25, 2017
thread title should take ya to the first post
I will never, ever understand this. What is so compelling about the first post that you have to view it over and over again? Why wouldn't you want to go straight to the content you haven't read yet without having to go through carpal tunnel inducing contortionist bullshit for every last thread you want to read?

It's fine if people want options if they're at all feasible to implement, but I can't help but feel people only want it out of habit and not out of actual need.

Nov 4, 2017
I will never, ever understand this. What is so compelling about the first post that you have to view it over and over again? Why wouldn't you want to go straight to the content you haven't read yet without having to go through carpal tunnel inducing contortionist bullshit for every last thread you want to read?

It's fine if people want options if they're at all feasible to implement, but I can't help but feel people only want it out of habit and not out of actual need.
Quicker access to earlier pages. Once a threads beyond like 6 pages the forum only shows individual page links from the last five or so. If I browse a thread an later wanna quote or have another lookover something from page 1 thats an extra click, an extra clicks are one of the biggest fusses over 2.0. Same for if I accidentally clicked a thread I wanted to read later well then oops when I am ready to read it I gotta navigate back to the first page (misclicking threads is already a thing for me, I swear I click on one and end up in a completely different thread). Its an unwanted checkpoint causing unwanted backtracking. If it can be toggled to an on/off option in the settings that'd be great. Dunno what the carpal tunnel comments all about but you're far from the only who's got that. Maybe its worse on mobile users? idk. But as a desktop-only user extra clicks an mouse movements add to the sting.

Oct 25, 2017
Quicker access to earlier pages. Once a threads beyond like 6 pages the forum only shows individual page links from the last five or so. If I browse a thread an later wanna quote or have another lookover something from page 1 thats an extra click, an extra clicks are one of the biggest fusses over 2.0. Same for if I accidentally clicked a thread I wanted to read later well then oops when I am ready to read it I gotta navigate back to the first page (misclicking threads is already a thing for me, I swear I click on one and end up in a completely different thread). Its an unwanted checkpoint causing unwanted backtracking. If it can be toggled to an on/off option in the settings that'd be great. Dunno what the carpal tunnel comments all about but you're far from the only who's got that. Maybe its worse on mobile users? idk. But as a desktop-only user extra clicks an mouse movements add to the sting.
It's not an extra click. The left arrow in the thread list takes you to the OP unconditionally on both desktop and mobile.

The crux of the problem is people who spend most of their time revisiting their watched threads repeatedly for new content. By making the largest target (the thread title on desktop, and the entire thread bar sans the navigation icons on mobile) lead to this it makes access to this most commonly desired target much, much easier. The previous implementation of unread as an icon on Era was a tiny (so tiny I couldn't even consistently tap it) icon on the left side (about as far away from the right thumb as you can get) and it was so needlessly difficult to view unread posts that I basically stopped browsing the forum entirely until the 1.5 update restored the original behavior.

Nov 4, 2017
It's not an extra click. The left arrow in the thread list takes you to the OP unconditionally on both desktop and mobile.
I'm the type of idiot who misclicks threads. I'm also the type of idiots who until now thats its been pointed out has not even noticed those arrows -_- Ya know... if they moved the prev/next page links inside of threads over to the right side, that'd save on a lot of mouse movement making for less pains. Would almost never have to mouse on over to the left side of the screen, at least in terms of reading, quoting, replying, checking inbox/alerts.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the type of idiot who misclicks threads. I'm also the type of idiots who until now thats its been pointed out has not even noticed those arrows -_- Ya know... if they moved the prev/next page links inside of threads over to the right side, that'd save on a lot of mouse movement making for less pains. Would almost never have to mouse on over to the left side of the screen, at least in terms of reading, quoting, replying, checking inbox/alerts.
For the bottom of threads that doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I assume it's there because the matching breadcrumbs on the top of the page is flanked by the watch/ignore/jump/threadmark options on the right.

Maybe the position of those options should be reversed too, as people don't seem to notice them either where they are (whereas users are trained to hunt for the page numbers wherever they are).

FliXFantatier

Master of the Reality Stone
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Is it just me or do threads briefly flash up before disappearing and then slowly reloading again with all the graphical fan fare of the animations?
  1. click on thread
  2. briefly flashes open
  3. black screen
  4. fancy animations on the left
  5. then the thread becomes stable and readable...

Oct 25, 2017
The thread disappearing is part of the animation junk. I already posted some UserStyle stuff to get rid of it if you have a Browser Extension for that.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or do threads briefly flash up before disappearing and then slowly reloading again with all the graphical fan fare of the animations?
  1. click on thread
  2. briefly flashes open
  3. black screen
  4. fancy animations on the left
  5. then the thread becomes stable and readable...
Not just you, happens on my PC/Chrome also. Very annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can we please fix with width always resetting? Make wide the default or put a toggle in preferences

It's so annoying having to open the forum, scroll the to bottom to click a stupid button to make the forum usable, knowing you'll be doing it again in a few hours time

Not just you, happens on my PC/Chrome also. Very annoying.
This also happens to me on Chrome and Firefox

Oct 28, 2017
In mobile, when you search and check the "only titles" option this doesn't work unless you press the "search" botton
If you press "enter" in your mobile keyboard this doesn't work
It show you the results of the search without the "only title" option

I really don't want to be an armchair website developer because there's no way I could do better, but why is it taking so long for the site to remember the toggle width preferences? After each session I have to adjust it again and again and again. Should be relatively easy to implement something like that, right? Also, bookmarks still don't work... which is a shame, because the Watch Thread option, while somewhat similar, doesn't scratch that same itch for me. Those two are my biggest feedback points.

Again, I really don't want to downplay the otherwise amazing work done so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, i'm gonna post screencaps because this is driving me insane
This is how read/unread posts appear on era right now:
Idk if you guys use LED screens and can't see what's wrong with the image, but for whoever reads the page on an LCD screen, this is maddening, I can't see which threads I've read and which I didn't and it's honestly driving me insane, so i took 10 seconds of my time and did this:
Now I can see which topics are read and which isn't, by simply making the unread links a bit darker and the read ones a tiny bit brighter, could we please have this changed? there's close to no distinction of them on pc, no normal/bold font contrast(as there is on mobile), virtually no color changes, NOTHING telling me there's new posts or not and this is a major usability problem as you need that info, and trying to distinguish between gray and one tone lighter gray may cause some serious eye strain
This is far from the better solution but at least is a duct tape.

I used #929292 for read and #f1f1f1 for unread
I've also noted that the font weight is different between both links but that's not noticeable on PC screen as only 100 difference in weight is close to nothing in a setup like this =/

Oct 27, 2017
When you are typing a reply while others are posting in the thread, you get the message "There are more posts to display. View them?". However, when you click the link it just takes you to the last post in the thread, not the ones you haven't read (which is how it correctly functioned before).