• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 27, 2017
Is the "Latest Threads" page gonna come back? I really liked how it combined new threads from Gaming/Etcetera and served as a good replacement for Twitter feeds.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a script called rellax.js that's included on every page. I think it's used as some sort of parallax scrolling animation on the homepage when you're logged out but it runs all the time checking the scroll position even when the images aren't on screen. This is a lot of unnecessary cpu usage because it's checking the scroll position on every frame which depending on the browser and your computer means it's doing work for no reason. Checking page offsets can also cause the browser to reflow and thrash which might be why some people are noticing their usage hover when the page seems idle.

anyway, just thought I'd point it out. It might be worth looking at that.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone use Grammarly and have the issue, that the Reply window bounces up and down while typing? (It is triggered by the little dot on the bottom right updating after every word, the dot is smaller than the waiting circle, so the window resizes every second)

Oct 25, 2017
This could just be an issue with my 8 year old PC but all of a sudden starting yesterday and continuing today I'm getting horrible, crippling PC slowness when I have 5-6 Resetera tabs open in Chrome. Nothing else causes this but Resetera.

I'm routinely seeing 89% of my 12GB of RAM used on Chrome.

Search function on desktop fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have fixed an issue with the search function on desktop that caused it to ignore selected criteria when the "Enter" key was used instead of pressing the "Search" button.

Are bookmarks ever coming back please?

I liked being able to mark posts that had useful info in them, so I could revisit them.
Bookmarks will return eventually, but likely not anytime soon. The old implementation caused performance issues when placed under heavy load.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the known issues mentioned slow loading times. I don't know if it helps to mention that I'm on OSX using a macbook pro with Chrome as my browserand this site chugs so hard I can't really browse. At home on my windows machine I also use Chrome and don't suffer these issues at all. The upside is I'm more productive at work but the downside is that when I visit the site at work my office gets incredibly noisy since my fan starts going crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I saw the known issues mentioned slow loading times. I don't know if it helps to mention that I'm on OSX using a macbook pro with Chrome as my browserand this site chugs so hard I can't really browse. At home on my windows machine I also use Chrome and don't suffer these issues at all. The upside is I'm more productive at work but the downside is that when I visit the site at work my office gets incredibly noisy since my fan starts going crazy.
I'm on OSX with Chrome (2016 MBP). Don't really see chugging or crazy fans, though. I am signed up for Clear and use Privacy Badger (ad systems are still queried), so maybe the slow down is ad or tracking related?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We believe we have figured out what is causing this; it appears to be a javascript issue. We're working on resolving it ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
Why was latest threads removed? I used that a lot.
Answered in staff posts:
Information
The Watched Threads issue should now be resolved. This was a particularly nasty bug that was tied into a bunch of other systems and untangling the mess was tedious; in the end we had to disable (for now) the dedicated New Threads page. The New Threads feed on the right sidebar (found on the main page) is still working perfectly. Thank you for your patience with the downtime.

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
For some reason, this code is repeated 18 times in the HTML if you view the source.

JavaScript:
<script>

$(document).ready(function() {
            $('.re_verifiedBanner').click(function(){
                window.location.href = 'https://www.resetera.com/threads/verified-member-faq.2971/';
            });
        });

</script>

Performance Issues Fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have applied a fix for the performance issues (high CPU usage) reported by some members.

Oct 25, 2017
Information
We have applied a fix for the performance issues (high CPU usage) reported by some members.
If you've removed that rellax thing (which I think you've done) there's a small inline script at the bottom of the page that needs to be removed too. It looks like it was used as a config object but right now it's just throwing a reference error.

Oct 28, 2017
yes hello?

can you please fix the avatars and the images?

in the old era the images would apear as links instead of not appearing at all.

also we could turn of the avatars.

can those features come back please?

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed on desktop when typing replies toward the bottom, if you're scrolled all the way down, the screen size regular bounces down/up when new ads load. Can you reserve the vertical space for ads instead of dynamically basing it off the ad itself's height? Or at least set a min-height that fits the shortest of ads?

Also, the vertical space is kind of ridiculous on mobile at the top of Discussion listings. Do we really need Mark as read/Ignore/Watch buttons for entire discussion boards? Do we need a quick new thread bar? Why would you want to encourage quick new threads on a forum like this? There's already a giant new thread button in the Discussion banner.

Oct 28, 2017
Wondering why this site now runs like crap on my iPad after the big update. Type and the letters don't appear until seconds later sometimes, scrolling down a page is not smooth at all and pages refresh sometimes saying there was an error with the web page even if there isn't a single pic or gif in the thread. Pretty sure it's ad related as most times I'm just getting some text and numbers where the ad should be.

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Wow the site is not running good on my laptop anymore. Especially when I go into a thread with a single gif. It just shits the bed. I don't know what changed in the past few days since iv'e been busy at work and only using mobile.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Wondering why this site now runs like crap on my iPad after the big update. Type and the letters don't appear until seconds later sometimes, scrolling down a page is not smooth at all and pages refresh sometimes saying there was an error with the web page even if there isn't a single pic or gif in the thread. Pretty sure it's ad related as most times I'm just getting some text and numbers where the ad should be.
Wow the site is not running good on my laptop anymore. Especially when I go into a thread with a single gif. It just shits the bed. I don't know what changed in the past few days since iv'e been busy at work and only using mobile.
Information
We've confirmed with our ad agency that these performance issues were the fault of a bad ad provider recently slipping through QA. The problem should be resolved today. Thank you for the reports.

Oct 25, 2017
The notification Bell is on the wrong side on mobile. It should be on the right side like the desktop site. On mobile it makes me reach across the screen with my thumb to click it.

Oct 25, 2017
Information
We've confirmed with our ad agency that these performance issues were the fault of a bad ad provider recently slipping through QA. The problem should be resolved today. Thank you for the reports.
Thanks for the constant feedback. I haven't seen any mobile takeover ads today either, so fingers crossed!

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a bug but I don't see any other thread to ask:

Clicking a thread title now takes me to a random (?) page rather than page 1. This terribly annoying, is there an option to change this back?

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a bug but I don't see any other thread to ask:

Clicking a thread title now takes me to a random (?) page rather than page 1. This terribly annoying, is there an option to change this back?
I wish clicking a title took me to the newest page since I hardly ever want to see page 1 again, and often page 1 is filled with very bandwidth-intensive and slow-loading videos or images.

It usually works.

There's no option but clicking the left arrow hits the first page if you need to reread an OP.

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I would be inclined to swap the position of the PREV/NEXT buttons with the arrows. Muscle memory from years of using DVD menus and such makes you think pressing the NEXT or PREV buttons will take you to the next or previous page rather than the first or last page of a topic, or make the arrows bolder.

Xbox Live identifiers on profiles fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
The Xbox Live identifier on profiles now supports space characters.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm redirected to another page whenever I click Reply on a post. It no longer populates the bottom reply box