• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Jan 4, 2019
Hello to the site designers/leadership.

A quick heads up: when you browse the site noon mobile without being logged in, your dark/light theme preferences seem to reset upon leaving the site. For nonmembers, this is likely a big inconvenience. I really dislike bright white themes generally so it resetting back from dark to light constantly was very frustrating.

Having just joined the site, but being a visitor pre and post redesign, this was easily my biggest pain point.

Other than this behavior, great job.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to get the up/down arrow to jump to the top/bottom of a page while you're in the middle of a page back? Or is there another way of doing that that I'm not aware of?
They're only visible just after you've scrolled, so if you scroll slightly up or down they'll appear in the bottom right corner.

Oct 27, 2017
Howdy folks, the gaming forum seems to be missing for me? It's not appearing on the home page and when I directly go to it via URL there are no threads.

Oct 27, 2017
Still having the problem of the width preference not saving whenever I close my browser. Is there an ETA for a fix on this? The rest of the site is perfect, but I have to "fix" the layout every time I visit.

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a bug per-say, but I feel like the BOLD fonts need work. It doesn't pop like it used to. It's barely noticeable next to the regular font. You have to pay attention to notice it. Can this be fixed?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Probably already said, but the button to expand the forum's length right next do the theme picker is kinda broken with Edge. It works but once you leave Era, as soon as you're back you need to re-click it. It's not exactly the button but the code responsible to complete the task but you get the idea. Works fine on Chrome.

Oct 27, 2017
How come when I press on a thread title it takes me to some random page instead of the first page? Is that normal? I find it annoying.
It takes you to the most recent post in the thread that you haven't read yet, so you can continue from where you left off.

It's a feature a bunch of us love and can't live without, but there is a bunch of people like you that dislike it. There is an arrow on the right side that will take you to the first post every time though.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think that it might look like it takes you to a random page but it might seem that way when you click ‘mark threads as read’ button. This applies even to threads you haven’t opened. So when you decide to visit a thread and you already clicked on ‘mark threads as read’ on the gaming forum, it remembers you clicked the button and it takes you to the last reply after you clicked that button.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that it might look like it takes you to a random page but it might seem that way when you click ‘mark threads as read’ button. This applies even to threads you haven’t opened. So when you decide to visit a thread and you already clicked on ‘mark threads as read’ on the gaming forum, it remembers you clicked the button and it takes you to the last reply after you clicked that button.
I didn't even think about how that could effect it, but then again, I have no idea why "mark forum as read" is even an option, I don't understand the usefulness of it at all. Everything here moves WAY to fast, I'm sure within like 3 minutes the whole front page would be unread again.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't even think about how that could effect it, but then again, I have no idea why "mark forum as read" is even an option, I don't understand the usefulness of it at all. Everything here moves WAY to fast, I'm sure within like 3 minutes the whole front page would be unread again.
I don’t disagree with this but it is very handy to have even with that in mind. It helps me go through new pages after my last visit. It makes sure that I don’t go through older pages I’ve already seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Would love an option (such as Threadmarks and Staff Posts) to see Original Posters posts.

Just having the little badge means I cannot ctrl+f "Original Poster" anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to prostrate myself and beg for a fixed-height ad cell on mobile. The content moving down when the ads load has made me click on the wrong things countless times. Even on the homepage I try to click the gaming forum and OOPS the latest thread is suddenly under my thumb, guess I'm going there now.

This is a 40 second CSS fix, I beg you.
Please God this. The old site had it too, immensely annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t disagree with this but it is very handy to have even with that in mind. It helps me go through new pages after my last visit. It makes sure that I don’t go through older pages I’ve already seen.
I'm glad it has uses for people, options are always good!

Oct 27, 2017
Any update on the width/sidebar preference issue...? Not trying to be a dick about it but it's been an issue since literally the beginning of this redesign.

Delays due to staff personal issues
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Due to unexpected personal issues, our tech team has been delayed on a bunch of fixes and features we had planned for the new year. Work is still ongoing, just slower than we had hoped.

The hide avatars functionality still seems to be missing. Are there any plans for bringing it back?
We have a version of this in testing.

Any update on the width/sidebar preference issue...? Not trying to be a dick about it but it's been an issue since literally the beginning of this redesign.
We are investigating this. It's our top bug priority.

Mar 5, 2018
Starting today my sidebar seems to close every time I click on something, it used to stay open all the time which I prefer but now I have to use the burger menu to bring it up again. Is this a known bug or is it on my end?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Starting today my sidebar seems to close every time I click on something, it used to stay open all the time which I prefer but now I have to use the burger menu to bring it up again. Is this a known bug or is it on my end?
It's happening literally every time you click something?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Yes. I bring up the sidebar, then if I click on "page 73" of this thread or any link on the sidebar or any other link on era the next page loads and the sidebar is closed again. It doesn't stay open like it used to.
Alright we determined that user preferences for the sidebars and page width are resetting after 4 hours of inactivity; this is something we are trying to fix. Today we made a change that should default the sidebars to hidden for registered members who are logged in. However, the reset should still be happening every 4 hours, so if it's happening more frequently than that then something is wrong.

I will revert the change for now. Thanks for the reports.

Mar 5, 2018
I will revert the change for now.
ok cool, my sidebar is back now too.
If you still want to make that change in the future could you add an option to the settings to keep the sidebar always visible? Cause as mentioned I like to have it open all the time but if it's resetting every time I'm inactive for 4 hours then I still have to reopen it every single day.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
ok cool, my sidebar is back now too.
If you still want to make that change in the future could you add an option to the settings to keep the sidebar always visible? Cause as mentioned I like to have it open all the time but if it's resetting every time I'm inactive for 4 hours then I still have to reopen it every single day.
We're working on tying those preferences to user account data so that they will persist indefinitely and across devices. That's going to be the real fix.

Dec 26, 2017
I'd like to prostrate myself and beg for a fixed-height ad cell on mobile. The content moving down when the ads load has made me click on the wrong things countless times. Even on the homepage I try to click the gaming forum and OOPS the latest thread is suddenly under my thumb, guess I'm going there now.

This is a 40 second CSS fix, I beg you.
Please this but not just mobile. Please add a fixed height ad cell to desktop as well. My desktop browser (Chrome) keeps jumping every time the ad changes (which is quite often). Very aggravating when trying to read a thread and it keeps "jumping" up and down. There is a brief period between the time the old ad is removed and the new ad shows up. When the old ad is removed, the browser jumps up a line or so. Then when the new ad appears, it jumps back.

Edit: I'm using the dark theme if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Up/Down/Refresh buttons added to top bar
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have added Up/Down/Refresh buttons to the top sticky bar. These are available for both guests and members, on both desktop and mobile.

Because they make the floating buttons obsolete, we will be killing those shortly.

Atheerios

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
Information
We have added Up/Down/Refresh buttons to the top sticky bar. These are available for both guests and members, on both desktop and mobile.

Because they make the floating buttons obsolete, we will be killing those shortly.
I came to this thread as I just noticed it. Didn't expect it to be implemented just 1 minute ago.

Much better than the floating buttons.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious why the buttons were added for desktop seeing as keyboards have all three functions available in the dedicated forms of Refresh, Home and End. One-handed use?

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Not really seeing the point of it on desktop, but it is a big improvement on mobile. They are still awkward to reach with my thumb, but that is something the entire top bar struggles with. Moving it to the bottom on mobile would really solve a lot of issues here.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I'm curious why the buttons were added for desktop seeing as keyboards have all three functions available in the dedicated forms of Refresh, Home and End. One-handed use?
It's something people had asked for, and it's easier to make the same buttons available across mobile and desktop.

We'll see what the feedback looks like and if most people want them gone on desktop we can look into that.