• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

So it's just moving the existing buttons to the top so they're harder to hit.

G...reat.
Yeah I don't get this, the refresh being at the top is also kinda pointless as browsers have the refresh at the top anyway - this new button is directly under Samsungs browsers refresh for example.

The floating buttons with a refresh button beside them at the bottom would be far more useful.

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Perfect on the button front.

What is killing my image viewing experience on the phone tho is I can't zoom as I like and pressing back brings me back a page.
Seconding this.

Another feature I miss is images getting resized inside quote boxes, in addition to boxes being collapsable. Now you expand them and they stay expanded.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Not really seeing the point of it on desktop, but it is a big improvement on mobile. They are still awkward to reach with my thumb, but that is something the entire top bar struggles with. Moving it to the bottom on mobile would really solve a lot of issues here.
Now put those buttons at the bottom and we're good!
This is in fact under consideration, but we're still evaluating what it would take to achieve. It wouldn't be a small or easy change.

Oct 27, 2017
This is in fact under consideration, but we're still evaluating what it would take to achieve. It wouldn't be a small or easy change.
Do this do this do this!

Thanks for the new buttons.

Hopefully that doesn't mean we won't ever get this again though:

I loved this. It was always where I need it.
Just take this part:

and change them to links to all the forum sections, and throw in a top and refresh button somehow. I dunno! It was on the old site, so it should be possible, right? Haha

Mobile home screen icon added!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Is mobile icon when adding to home screen ugly for anyone else ?
Please add an iOS home screen icon for those of us using the “Add to home screen” feature. Currently it displays a screenshot for the icon.
Anything about an actual icon for mobile when saving to your home screen?
I don’t know if this is really a bug, but I’m still holding my breath for a proper iOS home screen icon.
Information
Pleased to report that we have added a shiny new favicon for mobile homepages!

When you add ResetEra to your mobile homepage you'll now be greeted by this beauty:

Feb 13, 2018
Information
Pleased to report that we have added a shiny new favicon for mobile homepages!

When you add ResetEra to your mobile homepage you'll now be greeted by this beauty:

Very cool icon! I’d totally use Era as a PWA but not being able to swipe for left to right to go back on iOS kinda kills its functionality.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The mobile homepage doesn't work for me for some reason.

Firefox, Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
I hit the button on the top of my web browser, it then says "+ Add to Home Screen" as it normally does, I hit that and nothing happens.

I know the feature does work on my phone because I implemented it on my own site recently:

EDIT: Seems to work fine on Chrome mobile. Weird! Must be a Firefox thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017

I hit the button on the top of my web browser, it then says "+ Add to Home Screen" as it normally does, I hit that and nothing happens.

Seems like you're right. We'll get this fixed tomorrow.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Seems like you're right. We'll get this fixed tomorrow.
I wonder is it because you don't have a name specified in the manifest? Firefox doesn't prompt you to customize the name when you add it (unlike Chrome, which brings up a input text box while adding it). So maybe it's bugging out because no name is specified. I'm not sure, just throwing ideas out while comparing your manifest file to my own one.

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
What's the reason of replacing the floating top/bottom buttons with sticking them to the top of the page?

The floating ones were better because they were easier to reach (at the bottom of the screen) and they were only visible while you scroll the page. Now the top bar is cluttered with buttons (menu, logo, quick jump, sidebar, reload, top, bottom, search; and on some resolution there's also profile, messages and notifications buttons), and the navigation buttons are harder to reach.

There's a reason the IE in Windows 8 / Windows mobile was praised for navigation bar on the bottom of the screen.

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
On dark theme currently is hard to distinguish between read and unread threads.
Sincerely the purple titles were perfect for me. Can't you just give us an option for the color of the Unread Threads?

Are you searching another solution?

Oct 25, 2017
Please make it an option either way, I really wasn’t w fan of the floating bar at the bottom we had before, I much prefer it at the top and not covering more content with buttons.

When launching the site from my iPhone home screen after making a button for it it won’t ever let me log in. I go to the login page and enter my details and then it boots me out to Safari and tells me I’m already logged in. If I go back to the home screen app it’s still not logged in. Anything I’m doing wrong?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
The button/icon completely broke the mobile site for me on my iPhone.

I've added it to my home screen and for some reason, it runs even worse than before (white screen and it runs super slow) and as soon as I click a link, it launches me into the browser and it's back to normal.

I noticed someone above said the "browser wrapper" is gone? For me, this version is waaay worse. It sucks I already deleted my other icon that worked perfectly, too.

I'm on iOS 10 on my iPhone with safari.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the refresh button. It actually refreshes the page where you are currently looking within the thread, which is perfect. Thanks, ERA team. 👍

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Thank you for adding the top/bottom/refresh buttons on the mobile site as well as a home screen icon!

I was wondering if you guys could fix/readd the icon for saving Resetera as a favorite? It used to show the logo but now it just shows a purple R in my safari favorites - thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What's the reason of replacing the floating top/bottom buttons with sticking them to the top of the page?

The floating ones were better because they were easier to reach (at the bottom of the screen) and they were only visible while you scroll the page. Now the top bar is cluttered with buttons (menu, logo, quick jump, sidebar, reload, top, bottom, search; and on some resolution there's also profile, messages and notifications buttons), and the navigation buttons are harder to reach.

There's a reason the IE in Windows 8 / Windows mobile was praised for navigation bar on the bottom of the screen.
I fully agree with this. It was more handy on the lower right. Now it's a bit more clumsy to use the buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
Status report:

1. Is there going to be an option to have the nav buttons and page reload be at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? For one-handed usage, the top right is probably the least functional of all spots for those to have gone.

2. Page numbers on mobile ever going to make an appearance? The mobile browsing experience is still shit right now without them. :(

3. Click on page title = OP ever going to be an option?

4. OP banner instead of avatar overlay ever coming back? It used to be far more noticeable who was the OP in a thread.

That's all I am asking. Even if none of them matter to any of the admins and won't ever be worked on, just having an answer would at least make me stop asking and hoping. I will make do with a hamstrung user experience and eventually forget LightERA if that is how it is.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know where else to ask this. I PM'd a mod with the same question about a month ago, but never got a definitive answer.

I manage the Xbox One X Enhancements OP. I made the first mistake of only reserving posts #1 and #2. Is it possible to inject a few more "reserved for future use" posts after post #2?

I am becoming a bit worried about this, and each post's 30,000 character limit, as ResetEra 2.0's BB code has added characters to tags that didn't exist before.

For example:

Code:
[SIZE=4]
Has now become:

Code:
[SIZE=15px]
This change alone has added 1,053 characters to my first post.

After some testing, the system will accept both versions of code, so I have made the change back (though I've seen it revert it back to the "px" format). However, that still brings me back to my first question, as I have already hit the character limit in post #1 and it is only a matter of time before I hit the limit in post #2.

Oct 27, 2017
Eek! I just ran into another problem while trying to edit my OP. When editing my post the system is now adding additional INDENT tags where there were only line breaks before. This is now making the problem even worse.

For example:

Code:
[INDENT]2160p, 30-60fps
1440p, 60fps w/drops
1080p, 60fps w/minor drops
Selectable resolution, can unlock framerate. Locked framerate is 32fps, causing judder.[/INDENT]
Now becomes:
Code:
[INDENT]2160p, 30-60fps[/INDENT]
[INDENT]1440p, 60fps w/drops[/INDENT]
[INDENT]1080p, 60fps w/minor drops[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Selectable resolution, can unlock framerate. Locked framerate is 32fps, causing judder.[/INDENT]

Oct 27, 2017
As others are now pointing out, “Add to home screen” on latest iOS results in a version of the site launching that does not open up in Safari or a browser at all. Clicking a thread link for example then takes you to Safari.

I’m on an iPhone XS btw

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I put a thread on ignore and I’m still getting alerts when someone replies to my post there. Please make any replies not show up for me once I ignore a thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel the navigation buttons need to be moved back to the bottom of the screen. Also not sure why it was possible to add this to the top but not quicker forum jumping like we had before.

Oct 25, 2017
Having issues on and off with replies to specific posts on mobile. Sometimes I hit "reply" on a post and it doesn't do anything. I have to quote the post instead to get it to work. Only noticed it today.

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as how I can't find another place to make suggestions I'll make it here.

I wish there were a way to ignore threads without having to go into them. If I'm trying to avoid spoilers or ignore multiple threads on a subject I'm not interested in (eg: several page 1 Anthem threads) it would be nice to click check boxes and hit ignore instead of one-at-a-timing them.

Just a thought. The forum is always getting better, keep up the good work.

Oct 26, 2017
When launching the site from my iPhone home screen after making a button for it it won’t ever let me log in. I go to the login page and enter my details and then it boots me out to Safari and tells me I’m already logged in. If I go back to the home screen app it’s still not logged in. Anything I’m doing wrong?
Same thing happens to me on an iPhone XR.

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess y'all have configured your site manifest to make the site launch in "standalone" mode when launched from a mobile home screen link. Which means no access to address bar, tabs, etc. Is this intentional? Era has some app conventions but it's still absolutely a website, and people use it like one. Multiple tabs, copying urls, etc. All this change has done is make me remove the site from my home screen, since it launches a version of the site that's less functional than before.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if anyone actually thinks about the changes being made lately before making them.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We believe the problems reported earlier with launching the site from the homescreen via Safari/iOS were related to a caching issue which should have since been resolved. If this is still happening please let me know.

I know the feature does work on my phone because I implemented it on my own site recently:

An update on this: We're still trying to figure out why the A2HS button is not working, but if you "Add shortcut to home screen" through the Firefox menu (like so) it should work.

Are you ever going to fix the damn width resetting? You keep adding new features etc yet can't fix a bug that resets the width multiple times a day?
There is a threadmark about this.

Status report:

1. Is there going to be an option to have the nav buttons and page reload be at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? For one-handed usage, the top right is probably the least functional of all spots for those to have gone.

2. Page numbers on mobile ever going to make an appearance? The mobile browsing experience is still shit right now without them. :(

3. Click on page title = OP ever going to be an option?

4. OP banner instead of avatar overlay ever coming back? It used to be far more noticeable who was the OP in a thread.

That's all I am asking. Even if none of them matter to any of the admins and won't ever be worked on, just having an answer would at least make me stop asking and hoping. I will make do with a hamstrung user experience and eventually forget LightERA if that is how it is.
The latter two are unlikely; the OP is readily accessible via the left arrow on each thread line. I've already discussed #1 on this very page. #2 might be revisited at some point.

I manage the Xbox One X Enhancements OP. I made the first mistake of only reserving posts #1 and #2. Is it possible to inject a few more "reserved for future use" posts after post #2?
I'll PM you so that we can figure something out.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the response, Cerium, while I don't love the answers, at least I saw them.

Now, back to offering a bounty to someone with Tamper monkey or other scripting skills: if anyone can figure how to make the thread titles always default to the OP (like was default since time immemorial) and have page numbers on mobile = a cool $30 your way via PayPal or whatever you want :)

So I guess y'all have configured your site manifest to make the site launch in "standalone" mode when launched from a mobile home screen link. Which means no access to address bar, tabs, etc. Is this intentional? Era has some app conventions but it's still absolutely a website, and people use it like one. Multiple tabs, copying urls, etc. All this change has done is make me remove the site from my home screen, since it launches a version of the site that's less functional than before.
Same here, all I would want is forward and back-swipe functionality and this mode would be an awesome full screen experience, but without it it’s ucompletely unuseable

Oct 27, 2017
From my day to day usage, I like the redesign overall.

My only two usability issues are:

The “OP” banner is hard to see when scrolling through a thread because it blends in with avatars and the dark theme a lot. This makes it annoying if I’m just trying to track down an OP reply or whatever.

It’s great having the up/down/refresh buttons added, but the location is less than ideal on mobile.