• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Is there a way to disable the " there are new posts click here to view them " notification?
It causes the page to jump around on mobile and causes all sorts of issues while posting

Oct 25, 2017
The new home screen icon is very nice, but ever since 2.0 launched, the site icon/favicon doesn’t show up in iOS Safari, leading to ResetEra just showing a R for its icon instead of the image. This is still true today, even after clearing my browser cache.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if anyone actually thinks about the changes being made lately before making them.
I have to admit, the same thought occured to me as well. Regrettably many changes feel like they were not thought through but just implemented. Or rather thoughts were not spent of how people use the forum before adding a feature or changing something. Case in point, about the OP banner instead of the avatar overlay, if my understanding is correct at least:

[...] the OP is readily accessible via the left arrow on each thread line.
I for one never knew you could click the OP banner below the avatar to go to the OP. I think few people know or used it that way, however the real benefit of the clearly visible banner was:

The “OP” banner is hard to see when scrolling through a thread because it blends in with avatars and the dark theme a lot. This makes it annoying if I’m just trying to track down an OP reply or whatever.
And going bei the reply of Cerium it does not appear like that was on the mind of whoever decided that the banner should become a hardly visible overlay. Similarly the usability of the top right up/down buttons on phones, that mostly use/need them does not appear to have been taken into account before putting them there. And without an explanation from the developers as to why this location was chosen (well, I guess the given explanation is because it was the quickest/easiest way to implement) and why there is no choice to either also or only have them floating on the bottom as was before, it looks like there sometimes might be a lack of foresight when implementing changes. Which is not good for the users and thus not good for the forum.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I have to admit, the same thought occured to me as well. Regrettably many changes feel like they were not thought through but just implemented. Or rather thoughts were not spent of how people use the forum before adding a feature or changing something. Case in point, about the OP banner instead of the avatar overlay, if my understanding is correct at least:
The line you quoted was about the thread list, not about OP banners. Your understanding is not correct.

The method we previously used to denote the OP of a thread is different from the one we have had to use on 2.0. It wasn't a "change" but the only option available that would not extend development time.

Oct 30, 2017
Does the software for the forum not work very well with the Edge browser? I mean general navigation is fine but when I attempt to write a post (like right now), everything becomes sluggish and typing becomes a pain. Didn't know if it was an optimization issue or something.

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Hey, most of Era's fonts display italic for me since yesterday. Only in Chrome, things display fine in Edge or mobile. I don't know whether this is on me or not, clearly not every chrome user is experiencing this, but I haven't been able to fix it with a reinstall. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Hey, most of Era's fonts display italic for me since yesterday. Only in Chrome, things display fine in Edge or mobile. I don't know whether this is on me or not, clearly not every chrome user is experiencing this, but I haven't been able to fix it with a reinstall. Any thoughts?
Have you recently installed the Roboto font on your machine? That can sometimes cause weirdness with Chrome.

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Have you recently installed the Roboto font on your machine? That can sometimes cause weirdness with Chrome.
You're right, I did have Roboto on my machine. But I must have installed it over a year ago without ever experiencing any issues, so I'm rather surprised this started to cause weirdness now for seemingly no reason. Uninstalling the font did the trick though, so thanks!

It's a bit of a shame because I do like Roboto. Haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
When browsing in Chrome, ResetEra wants to keep opening app pages or I’ll get redirected to a World Series of Poker app...

Not sure if it’s Chrome or the site but it’s been happening since the update.

Added forced height to desktop leaderboard ad
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
When browsing in Chrome, ResetEra wants to keep opening app pages or I’ll get redirected to a World Series of Poker app...

Not sure if it’s Chrome or the site but it’s been happening since the update.
We believe that's a bad ad, and we've already been in touch with our ad agency about it. Sorry for the inconvenience. And on that note...

We have added a forced height to the desktop leaderboard ad placement so that it will no longer push content down on load.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
We believe the problems reported earlier with launching the site from the homescreen via Safari/iOS were related to a caching issue which should have since been resolved. If this is still happening please let me know.
Re: iOS homescreen icon issue

1. Behaves like a seperate app. Asks me to login in, and when I use Touch ID to use Safari's saved passwords, it actually opens the Safari app and logins into the ERA website.
  2. Top left then says 'Resetera', and when you double click, it has the homescreen shortcut acting as a separate app.
So in conclusion, users are needing to login, and are then redirected to Safari as if it were a different app.

On the latest iOS.

The line you quoted was about the thread list, not about OP banners. Your understanding is not correct.

The method we previously used to denote the OP of a thread is different from the one we have had to use on 2.0. It wasn't a "change" but the only option available that would not extend development time.
I see. On that note of me misunderstanding/being oblivious to things, may I ask how many people are in development and how much time they are able to spend per week?

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
Please implement a permanent toggle for the widescreen forum layout, or move the current button above instead of below the thread list. The forum resets every time I wake my computer from sleep mode, and is now resetting randomly even while using it.

Oct 25, 2017
Please implement a permanent toggle for the widescreen forum layout, or move the current button above instead of below the thread list. The forum resets every time I wake my computer from sleep mode, and is now resetting randomly even while using it.
This was answered yesterday by an admin (previous page) and is also on the threadmark list.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
When I dismiss the two notifications the space doesn't close.
adblock off as well.

Cerium

EDIT: sometimes I get an ad, sometimes I don't it seems
It looks like our fixed height solution is causing issues like this on some devices. For now we've reverted it while we look for a solution with no side effects.

Re: iOS homescreen icon issue

1. Behaves like a seperate app. Asks me to login in, and when I use Touch ID to use Safari's saved passwords, it actually opens the Safari app and logins into the ERA website.
  2. Top left then says 'Resetera', and when you double click, it has the homescreen shortcut acting as a separate app.
So in conclusion, users are needing to login, and are then redirected to Safari as if it were a different app.

On the latest iOS.
We should have a fix for this over the weekend.

This was answered yesterday by an admin (previous page) and is also on the threadmark list.
Yes and to be more specific, we're hoping to have a permanent solution next week. We know what needs to be done, it's just a matter of labor as we're changing where and how the data is stored.

Mobile home screen launcher issues all fixed!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
iOS/Safari issues with launching the site from the home screen should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! We believe that all mobile home screen related issues are now resolved.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Wait is there now a mobile app I can download? I'm a bit confused.
All mobile browsers should offer an option to save a site shortcut to the homescreen (this will usually be found somewhere in the browser menu). It's not an app, but we've made some improvements to make it the next best thing.

Information
iOS/Safari issues with launching the site from the home screen should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! We believe that all mobile home screen related issues are now resolved.
It now just launches Safari for me. Before it was like a mini app with no Safari wrapper around it. I liked how it was before since there was more screen space (but it was broken since it just kept launching you to Safari when you clicked on a thread). Now it's just a bookmark button. Was that intended?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
It now just launches Safari for me. Before it was like a mini app with no Safari wrapper around it. I liked how it was before since there was more screen space (but it was broken since it just kept launching you to Safari when you clicked on a thread). Now it's just a bookmark button. Was that intended?
Yes, unfortunately on iOS this was our only recourse. Other members also expressed a preference for this as they wanted access to multiple tabs etc.

Oct 25, 2017
One problem I'm having with 2.0 on Chrome on Android, is that forcing text scaling via Chrome's accessibility settings doesn't seem to work properly, some random text here and there does scale, but the text in any of the posts doesn't scale at all.

I'm super short-sighted, so getting this working again would be *greatly* appreciated, otherwise using it on mobile is a pain (it used to work fine on the old version of the site).

Update on mobile Accessibility settings
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
One problem I'm having with 2.0 on Chrome on Android, is that forcing text scaling via Chrome's accessibility settings doesn't seem to work properly, some random text here and there does scale, but the text in any of the posts doesn't scale at all.

I'm super short-sighted, so getting this working again would be *greatly* appreciated, otherwise using it on mobile is a pain (it used to work fine on the old version of the site).
Information
We've actually been spending a lot of time looking at this and it's been super frustrating on our end because our conclusion is that it might not be possible. I think I owe you, and the others who requested this, a thorough explanation so here goes:

Xenforo 2.0 does not natively support scaleable fonts. We spent considerable time preparing a test where we replaced all the fonts with scaleable versions; while this worked fine on desktop, we discovered that it still did nothing on Android which was the whole point to begin with. After researching the matter, we found that Android handles accessibility settings in a way that designers (us) cannot affect.

You can read more about this here.

In other words, Android handles accessibility in such a way that literally nothing we do will matter. I'm very regretful that we cannot provide a proper solution for this, but if a fix comes it will have to come from Google.

As of now the only solution we have found for Android users is to enlarge fonts for the whole phone via your system settings, and then use Firefox instead of Chrome. Go into the Firefox accessibility settings and enable the "Use system font size" option. This should work right now. I'm sorry that no better option exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Any status update on fixing the spoiler tag issues I mentioned a while ago?

So I've noticed a couple bugs with spoiler tags:
1. They act kinda weird when there's a line break in the title. Regardless of how long the title is, only an area the height of a single line is actually clickable, and the box that opens seems to always descend from that line. I've only seen it happen organically on mobile, but You can reproduce it on Desktop by using a super long spoiler title like so:
test

EDIT: Adding a few newlines here because the spoiler title apparently overlaps text below it as well.

2. Opening spoiler tags seems to have this weird delayed scroll effect, at least on mobile (I've yet to reproduce it on Desktop). What will happen is I'll open the tag, move on, and then during some random interaction later on the same page, it will jump back up to the spoiler I opened. I can't figure out what exactly triggers the jump, it seems random.

This is all on Firefox, by the way. Version 64.0 on Desktop and 63.0.2 on Mobile.
The way they cause the page to randomly jump around on mobile has been really getting on my nerves.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Just tried that, didn't work. Bookmark icon is a generic N. The home screen icon shows up as the bookmark icon on the Safari home page for you?
We've made a change that should fix this, can you try removing the bookmark and adding it again?

If you can confirm the fix that would be great!

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter posts and YouTube videos are loading for 50-60 seconds for me. On Android tablet and Chrome browser on PC.

If I want to watch an embedded video or look at a tweet I have to leave the page open for a minute. Didn't have this problem before redesign but now it's here for more than two weeks.

Bug: The collapse/expand functionality doesn't remain as the user sets it once the session is closed and they open another page. Defaults to 'min'/'collapsed'.

Bug: Sidebar functionality isn't retained either. Every session I have to close it. And when I have two tabs open it doesn't work. Firefox, Win 10.

Seriously. This is really off-putting. I'm tired of setting widescreen every time I open a session. This should be set as long as I"m logged in just like my theme.

Is there a way to make the sidebar remember to stay hidden permanently? I clicked on the sidebar button to make it hidden and then click on on a different thread and then the sidebar reappear. This is on macOS Safari Version 12.0.2.
Also this. The site needs to respect how each member likes it configured.

since today it is superslow when writing replies or deleting words. i am on a Macbook Pro and using Safari, never had problems but it is so slow now when typing, it drives me crazy. is it just me/my computer or is there something strange for others too?

Jan 4, 2018
since today it is superslow when writing replies or deleting words. i am on a Macbook Pro and using Safari, never had problems but it is so slow now when typing, it drives me crazy. is it just me/my computer or is there something strange for others too?
Same on my iPhone 6s. Website is generally very unresponsive, laggy and take forever to load and typing feels like there's a 100000ms lag.

Same on my iPhone 6s. Website is generally very unresponsive, laggy and take forever to load and typing feels like there's a 100000ms lag.
yeah exactly, everything is really laggy, even looking at alerts takes quite some time to load. this all started in the last 24hours, i never had a problem with the site before. but good to know that someone else experiences problems too, i thought my mac is acting somewhat funky.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
yeah exactly, everything is really laggy, even looking at alerts takes quite some time to load. this all started in the last 24hours, i never had a problem with the site before. but good to know that someone else experiences problems too, i thought my mac is acting somewhat funky.
During one of these slowdowns, can you check and let me know if you see any unusual spikes in CPU usage?

During one of these slowdowns, can you check and let me know if you see any unusual spikes in CPU usage?
on my mac there is definitely a spike in usage, Safari seems to have a higher CPU usage when the slowdowns happen

edit: yeah, in the activity manager resetera takes the top spot everytime those spikes happen, it is like lagging behind what i type, sometimes i can´ t even delete a word without massive slowdown

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the ResetERA favicon keeps disappearing from my bookmarks taskbar on Chrome. It reappears after I click the bookmark link. This started happening a couple days ago.