• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
When is it possible for one to be eligible to create threads? Sorry if its not the right place to ask
III. Junior Status

After your account is approved, you will begin as a Junior Member. This is your chance to settle in, get a feel for the forum, and demonstrate your capacity for civil discourse. Moderation may be stricter during this period, but to discourage elitism there will be no public indication of Junior Member status. Junior Members are not able to create new threads. In order to move from being a Junior Member to a full Member, two conditions must be met: (1) 90 days must have passed since your account was approved and (2) you must have made at least 300 posts. Once these two conditions are met, your account will automatically be upgraded to Member status.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/general-faq.9777/

Oct 25, 2017
Cerium

Any ETA on Bookmarks?

Really tired of posting "Quoting this to save for later"
If you’re posting in a thread so that it goes into your list of watched threads, why not just press the watch button?

Not sure if this is a question for here, but uh, how do you ignore users who turn off their profile visibility?
On iOS at least you can just tap on the persons name and the option is right there to ignore them I think? You shouldn’t need to actually view their profile to ignore them.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Agree that it would be appreciated if there was an option to disable draft saving. Posts I've already cleared occasionally re-appear in threads and since I disable rich formatting the draft button is greyed out, however even with it enabled clicking 'delete draft' doesn't clear the already pre-filled text box containing the draft so it becomes a little thing I'd rather not have to bother with.

Some previous user posts with feedback about it:

I'd really appreciate the option to turn drafts off.
This. Can we get an option to disable auto-saving drafts? I'm finding it far more annoying than useful.
Also this, it ends up just bringing up a gibberish reply that I abandoned when I later post a reply to the same thread.
I am not sure how I feel about drafts. So far it has mostly been annoying. I often work on a message, only to delete it entirely mid-process and, often, close the thread. How it currently works is that if I don't click 'save draft' afterwards, the entire deleted message will pop up in the quick reply box the next time I visit that thread. This is especially annoying when switching from desktop to phone because it is such a chore to delete multiple lines on the latter.
This. Can we get an option to disable auto-saving drafts? I'm finding it far more annoying than useful.
Also tried multi-quoting for this post in Vivaldi (clicking 'Quote', seeing the notice it was added to multi-quote, then clicking 'Insert Quotes') and only one of the posts was filled in the text box. So instead just clicked 'Reply' manually in multiple tabs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Cerium

Any ETA on Bookmarks?

Really tired of posting "Quoting this to save for later"
The original implementation of Bookmarks did not scale well to a forum of this size and contributed to the serious performance issues we saw in the early days. The good news is that the latest version of Xenforo (2.1) has its own native Bookmarks function integrated into the core software. The bad news is that Xenforo 2.1 is not yet stable enough for us to switch over and probably will not be for at least 6 months to a year. This will be a major undertaking when it happens.

It is inevitable that Bookmarks will return when we upgrade the core software again, but that upgrade will not be for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The original implementation of Bookmarks did not scale well to a forum of this size and contributed to the serious performance issues we saw in the early days. The good news is that the latest version of Xenforo (2.1) has its own native Bookmarks function integrated into the core software. The bad news is that Xenforo 2.1 is not yet stable enough for us to switch over and probably will not be for at least 6 months to a year. This will be a major undertaking when it happens.

It is inevitable that Bookmarks will return when we upgrade the core software again, but that upgrade will not be for a while.
No worries at all, I appreciate the detailed reponse.

I'll just make a bookmark folder and do it old school for now.

Dec 15, 2018
For some reason the ResetERA favicon keeps disappearing from my bookmarks taskbar on Chrome. It reappears after I click the bookmark link. This started happening a couple days ago.
Browse's cache the favicon for a variable amount of time and if you flush your browser cache or have it limited these can disappear at random. Some changes have been made for the favicons so maybe that will help.

Otherwise try removing the bookmark and re-adding it. And/or fully restarting Chrome.

Favicons fixed!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I just tried deleting and readding the bookmark, no luck. Still the generic icon.
For some reason the ResetERA favicon keeps disappearing from my bookmarks taskbar on Chrome. It reappears after I click the bookmark link. This started happening a couple days ago.
The new home screen icon is very nice, but ever since 2.0 launched, the site icon/favicon doesn’t show up in iOS Safari, leading to ResetEra just showing a R for its icon instead of the image. This is still true today, even after clearing my browser cache.
I was wondering if you guys could fix/readd the icon for saving Resetera as a favorite? It used to show the logo but now it just shows a purple R in my safari favorites - thanks!
Information
We've made another adjustment that might have fixed some or all of these issues. Let us know if you are still having problems in a few hours!

Nov 4, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no fix for both side bars re-opening every time a new browser window is opened? It's getting so frustrating having to close both bars every time I used the site.

Windows 10. Happens on both Chrome and Opera.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird bug: the "resertera" in the top nav bar is one size on the forum, and another size in a thread. It just shrinks a tiny bit when you enter a thread. At least it does for me on my phone.

Edit: oh never mind. It's because the drop down menu goes from "video games/Etcetera/etc" to "Quick Jump"

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Am I missing something or is there no fix for both side bars re-opening every time a new browser window is opened? It's getting so frustrating having to close both bars every time I used the site.

Windows 10. Happens on both Chrome and Opera.
I've mentioned it a few times but we have a team working on this and expect a permanent solution within the week. There's nothing we can do to make them go faster.

Nov 4, 2017
I've mentioned it a few times but we have a team working on this and expect a permanent solution within the week. There's nothing we can do to make them go faster.
Okay apologies - must have missed that. Went a few pages back and couldn't see anything.

Thanks for the update!

Conversation upgrades
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We've improved the conversation (private message) system! In case you weren't aware, you've been able to create folders to elegantly organize your messages by pressing the "+" next to INBOX on the conversation page. You will now also be able to see when and if a participant last read the conversation; this information is now available on the participants list. You can also sticky conversations in your folders, and edit the titles of conversations you started.

If you do not want members to know when/if you have read a conversation, you can turn this off with the "Conversation Privacy" setting under "Privacy" on your user menu.

Oct 27, 2017
On iOS at least you can just tap on the persons name and the option is right there to ignore them I think? You shouldn’t need to actually view their profile to ignore them.
This may be a desktop only thing then. You have to click into their profile to ignore them but if they have their profile visibility turned off the ignore button is missing as well.

Oct 25, 2017
This may be a desktop only thing then. You have to click into their profile to ignore them but if they have their profile visibility turned off the ignore button is missing as well.
Do you have an example post of someone that is set to private? If I single click on your name to the left of your post (Windows 10/Firefox) I get a small window that gives me the option to follow/ignore or start a conversation. I'm wondering if even that disappears if you're set to private?

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any plans to have forum width and sidebar visibility choices remembered? Disabling avatars as well?

If we've moved on to massaging the PM system I'm starting to lose hope on these...

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
A bit LTTP, but I wanted to congratulate the whole team and thank everyone involved for the tremendous effort! ResetERA 2.0 is truly awesome and pure joy to use. So far I love the new features and the slick new design. Works flawlessly on desktop and on mobile. I'm proud to be a member from the very beginning of a new ERA :) Keep up the good works guys!

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is anyone having issues accessing the site when a browser has adblock turned OFF?

site just hangs like its loading with "waiting for http://cdn.intergi.com...". is some faulty ad/ad serving causing this? turning ON the browser's adblocker seems to fix the problem :|

edit: site is working again for me with ads. ^_^

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone! 2.0 seems really great so far. Thanks for your hard work. I’m running in to an issue in iOS when saving the app to my home screen.

It was working normally for a few days where the app would be wrapped in Safari but no address bar or footer bar would show up. Then suddenly today that all changed. I tried removing and adding it to the home screen and restarting my phone, but no luck. I’m on an iPhone XS Max, wondering it it might be a viewport issue?

Let me know if I can provide any more info :)

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Thank you for the kind words everyone! We've got an important update today.

Information
Both left and right sidebars should now default to hidden for registered members. In your user settings under Preferences > Style Options you should now find permanent toggles for each sidebar. If set, these preferences will persist permanently and across devices. This should solve the issue where these settings would reset after 4 hours of inactivity.

Note that this does not yet affect width settings: We're working on a similar fix for this and hope to have that live soon.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017

Information
Both left and right sidebars should now default to hidden for registered members. In your user settings under Preferences > Style Options you should now find permanent toggles for each sidebar. If set, these preferences will persist permanently and across devices. This should solve the issue where these settings would reset after 4 hours of inactivity.
For me (tested on both Vivaldi and a slightly older version Firefox) this setting doesn't persist across browser relaunches. The sidebar initially will be hidden until clicked despite having the 'Show sidebar by default' option checked.

Dec 15, 2018
For me (tested on both Vivaldi and a slightly older version Firefox) this setting doesn't persist across browser relaunches. The sidebar initially will be hidden until clicked despite having the 'Show sidebar by default' option checked.
Those options are the default values used if there is no session values. Changing the open/close state gets stored in the session, which then last until the session (somewhat randomly) expires.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Those options are the default values used if there is no session values. Changing the open/close state gets stored in the session, which then last until the session (somewhat randomly) expires.
The thing is though that it doesn't persist across browser relaunches even when clicked to be open (for me at least, would be good to know if others have experienced this). Forgot to mention this in my post above. My login cookies remain persistent on the other hand.

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not sure if this is where suggestions go as well? Anyway, the in-thread / non-navigational post preview feature is great, but it's super unwieldy that it's reduced to a small section with its own scroll bar. In general, nested scroll bars are very unconfortable, and makes scrolling with the mouse wheel a chore if not impossible. Would it be possible to make the inline preview full-sized with no scroll bar?

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is a bug or just a missing feature but:

I would love it if when I logged into my account while viewing a thread, that it would take me back to the thread I was viewing rather than the home page. It becomes annoying to have a post in mind, log in, then have to scour for the thread again.

2n2

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for fixing the sidebars and the recent tweaks on mobile. Much appreciated.

This is just some feedback regarding the first/last arrow icons for each thread in desktop mode.

Typically I like to have a big page open on desktop. I find myself hovering my mouse on the left over the thread titles most of the time when navigating, using the scroll wheel to go up/down. I'm finding it a little awkward using those arrows because of how far to the right they are compared to the thread title. They seem out of the way and require a lot of mouse travel back and forth across the screen. Perhaps you might want to consider putting them immediately to the left of the thread title and shifting the view count and message counter numbers to the right since those are not active links and the arrows are, keeping all the clickable navigation stuff closer together. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2017
i think i've found a bug, if you have a watched thread but also have the OP on ignore it completely hides the thread from your watched threads list

Oct 27, 2017

Information

Note that this does not yet affect width settings: We're working on a similar fix for this and hope to have that live soon.
I really am thankful that this has finally been implemented, and openly communicated.

To follow up on something I requested a few weeks ago, I was wondering whether it's possible to also leave the option for thread previews from hovering the cursor over each thread title. It was removed a little while after the redesign launched and I was totally glad for it, clearly though I was a minority in that.

A toggle available also in the Preferences for that would be perfect and would take care of any other major gripes I have with the redesign, apart from the temporary removal of other features.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't say if this is recent or not but trying to search in Chrome Android is impossible. Tapping the search icon brings up then immediately dismisses the phone keyboard before I can type anything, and often forces an inexplicable page reload if I try.

Jan 16, 2018
Thank you for you work on the sidebar, works great. However, the toggle width button at the bottom of the page doesn't seem to stick. I set it to wide yesterday and when I came in today it was narrow.

Dec 15, 2018
Thank you for you work on the sidebar, works great. However, the toggle width button at the bottom of the page doesn't seem to stick. I set it to wide yesterday and when I came in today it was narrow.
An update to fix this should be deployed soon.

How can I make sure that when I start typing something but then change my mind and decide not to post anything that what I type doesn’t get stored anywhere.
The floppy disk icon next to the cog, has a dropdown menu. Then with a "delete draft" option.

Sidebar and Width settings FINALLY FIXED
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Hello everyone, we have once again revamped how the system handles sidebar (and now width!) settings!

Previously the settings for both sidebars and page width would expire after 4 hours of inactivity. As of the last update, that method could be overridden through toggles available in user preferences. However, that system was a little clunky and also did not fix things for guests.

We have now implemented a new system that will save your sidebar and width preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This is the best of all worlds as it will allow you to choose different settings depending on your device, if you so desire. The previous "Style options" should no longer be necessary and have been removed.

This has been our #1 most reported issue and we hope that this solution will finally lay it to rest.

Oct 27, 2017
Information
Hello everyone, we have once again revamped how the system handles sidebar (and now width!) settings!

Previously the settings for both sidebars and page width would expire after 4 hours of inactivity. As of the last update, that method could be overridden through toggles available in user preferences. However, that system was a little clunky and also did not fix things for guests.

We have now implemented a new system that will save your sidebar and width preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This is the best of all worlds as it will allow you to choose different settings depending on your device, if you so desire. The previous "Style options" should no longer be necessary and have been removed.

This has been our #1 most reported issue and we hope that this solution will finally lay it to rest.
So, now there is no more options to toggle sidebars in user preferences, right?

Jan 16, 2018
Information

An update to fix this should be deployed soon.
Thank you for the fix.