• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Oct 28, 2017
Twitter embeds just stopped working out of the blue for me this morning... never had a problem with them before. Any suggestions?
Same here. Worked last night (around 11pm EU time) and doesn't work since about 7am EU time.

Issue is on Chrome/Windows and iOS/Safari. If i click or tap on the tweets twitter opens and shows them.

Mar 5, 2018
Hey so this is not a bug, but more about aesthetics.
Sometimes I see user names that are too long for a single name, but then only by one character so they end up looking like this:

ThisIsMyNam
e
Is it possible to introduce some kind of variable name length or go to the next line only with 4 or more characters? It's really bothering me a bit lol

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so this is not a bug, but more about aesthetics.
Sometimes I see user names that are too long for a single name, but then only by one character so they end up looking like this:

ThisIsMyNam
e
Is it possible to introduce some kind of variable name length or go to the next line only with 4 or more characters? It's really bothering me a bit lol
Only way I can think of solving this without just expanding the space for the username (which has to be uniform across the page unless the username gets moved above the post rather than to the side like it is now) is detecting the longest word in the name and shrinking just that username smaller than other usernames until that one word would fit.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
That’s just because after some amount of time (a month?) it “forgets” how much of it you’ve read. So that does only apply to old threads, and likely wouldn’t be what they’re experiencing.
Nah, I've never been in the Easy Allies |OT2| thread so clicking on the title took me to the OP. Clicking on "jump to new" should take me to the top of the next page but instead it jumps me to a post from 30 days ago (February 23rd) more than 10K posts later. Every time after that clicking on the thread title starts me at the top of the next page as it should. It's a known issue with the board's software and nothing can be done about it.

Oct 25, 2017
The site randomly jumps from whatever page I'm on to a new page, mainly the main forum hubs, when I switch to that tab with my keyboard (Ctrl + 2, Ctrl + 5, etc). This happens with both pinned tabs, and non-pinned tabs. The pinned tab I have of my Watched Threads will jump to the Gaming Forum on its own if I change over to it with my keyboard, for instance. This doesn't happen if I change to that tab with my mouse. It's really, really frustrating. This happens in Chrome on both Windows (10) and ChromeOS.
Kind of late, but this may be related to the fact that you can navigate the forum with the number keys. No matter where you are, pressing "2" will send you to Gaming, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Idaho
Kind of late, but this may be related to the fact that you can navigate the forum with the number keys. No matter where you are, pressing "2" will send you to Gaming, for example.
Well that completely answers that, thank you!

It's unfortunate then that this feature gets in the way of being able to switch to an Era tab with my keyboard. I hope they can find a way to fix that in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
If you try to post two messages within the cooldown period (I assume it's 1 min like on the old place?) you only get a generic message "Oops... Something went wrong".

It would be nice to get a message telling us what the actual problem is and, even better, how long we have to wait before we are free to post again.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is minor... but I think it'd help to remove the main "Forums" link in the left hand nav. It may be just me, but I'm constantly clicking the wrong forum because I do the math in my head and think [1] - Gaming Forum, [3] Etcetera Forum. When it's actually [2]Gaming Forum [4]Etcetera forum, and I'm going to the wrong place. With the 'ResetEta' header also going to the main forum list, as well as breadcrumbs, I don't know if it has that much value.

I could be wrong though.

Dec 15, 2018
Twitter embedding has been gently nudged (small code update)

I noticed by accident today that I am able to select "Staff Post" from the post editor.

Is this a bug? I feel like this option shouldn't be visible to everyone anyway, lol.
Should be hidden from non-moderators now.

Is there somewhere we can see our warnings/infractions?
On the top right corner; click on your username then click on the username in the pop-up box. This takes you to your public profile which will list warnings/infractions if they have been issued.

Nov 3, 2017
Hey, all of a sudden Etectera and the hangout boards popped back up on my end, despite me ignoring the boards and now I can't seem to ignore it anymore. (the option is gone) How do I re-ignore it so I can go back to filtering the political crud out? Dunno if it was a cookie issue or not but if the option moved I'd love to know where to find it (I can ignore threads just fine)

EDIT: Based on how a thread on the matter was locked, PLEASE don't tell me that removing a super handy feature like this was intentional? There's no reason to remove the ability to wipe entire boards from our view if we can do so with threads. Please reinstate this feature.

Last edited:
There's no reason to remove the ability to wipe entire boards from our view if we can do so with threads. Please reinstate this feature.
Considering there was multiple people accidently ignoring a whole forum and then wondering aloud about what happened, I think at least a harder way to hide them was warranted.
That being said, I can't really see a use for ignoring a whole forum, as that can be done with very low mental effort (or physical effort by just bookmarking the forums you don't want to be ignored directly).

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
That being said, I can't really see a use for ignoring a whole forum, as that can be done with very low mental effort (or physical effort by just bookmarking the forums you don't want to be ignored directly).
If you were ignoring a forum, none of the forum posts would show up on Latest threads and Trending. Now you have no option but to slowly pick your way through the thread list, decipher the often cryptic titles, and choose from those few that are of interest. If you go through the EtcetERA list you can avoid that, but the new threads are more difficult to find.

In short, ignoring entire forums worked very well for the many users who either are exclusively interested in games or have little interest in games.

Nov 3, 2017
Considering there was multiple people accidently ignoring a whole forum and then wondering aloud about what happened, I think at least a harder way to hide them was warranted.
That’s their problem if they accidentally ignored it. It’s easy to unignore by using the sidebar and clicking on unignore, so it’s still utterly stupid to have this option gone. Until I can throw out the political stuff like before I may just flat out not use this much save for maybe going to my watched threads.

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I do agree with making it harder for people to ignore threads accidentally.

My only problem is that it's been made impossible to ignore a whole forum. I wouldn't mind having to verify that I really, really wanted to do this, even by responding to an email challenge if necessary. I would only ever have to go through this once, for what would be a great benefit.

Oct 26, 2017
Strong dislike for the confirmation of ignore. Were that many people accidentally clicking it? Ideally this change would be reverted, and I'd be able to ignore threads without needing to enter them.

Also, any plans to allow for ignoring of mod THREADS that aren't announcements/stickied/ect? I can see the reasoning behind not being able to block their posts or stickied threads, but a non-stickied thread/first post should be fair game for blocking :|

If you were ignoring a forum, none of the forum posts would show up on Latest threads and Trending.
I'm a bit surprised, that there is really a need for trending threads/latest threads if you are essentially only using one or two of the forums. To me it appears that it's easy enough to keep track of either when browsing through by normal menas. But then again I don't see the need for either list even with being interested in all 4 forums. Perhaps I just spend a bit too much time here to really need a quicker way of seing either trending or latest threads? Hm...

Strong dislike for the confirmation of ignore. Were that many people accidentally clicking it? Ideally this change would be reverted, and I'd be able to ignore threads without needing to enter them.
Just look through this thread, while it has died down in the last few weeks, there were surprisingly many people accidently ignoring a whole forum.

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm a bit surprised, that there is really a need for trending threads/latest threads if you are essentially only using one or two of the forums. To me it appears that it's easy enough to keep track of either when browsing through by normal menas.
The difference is that if you just check a single forum list you'll probably miss quiet new threads that may be of interest to you because they quickly get displaced by the busier threads. If you look at Latest threads you're literally seeing a list of the most recently created threads, in reverse order of creation. You miss nothing that way. Even if a thread hasn't received a single response yet, you'll see it in the correct chronological order.

Unfortunately not being able to ignore Gaming (or EtcetERA, for those who dislike political threads) means you no longer get this easily scanned list. You have to sort through each new thread one by one, to determine whether it's from Gaming or EtcetERA.

Sep 16, 2018
Yeah, that shit is lame. Just keeps me from visting on mobile as much (and thus less ad views/revenue for the site). Moot on desktop as I just use the user extension in chrome and can filter out threads by keywords and click an x in the thread list to add to ignore without having to open the thread (an no confirmation pop up).

I wish they'd add a keyword filter the forum software as the feature in the user script doesn't actually add filtered threads to the native ignore list and thus just hides them on that one device (and thus doesn't work on mobile).

Oct 27, 2017
The In-Between
Did something happen? I had EctEra on ignore, but now it’s just there to see plainly. I’d like to be able to ignore it again.

And before anyone asks, it wasn’t because of the political talk.

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
please revert changes and add an option to disabled ignore confirmation

its bad enough that i have to enter a thread to ignore, but now it requires another action

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
The difference is that if you just check a single forum list you'll probably miss quiet new threads that may be of interest to you because they quickly get displaced by the busier threads. If you look at Latest threads you're literally seeing a list of the most recently created threads, in reverse order of creation. You miss nothing that way. Even if a thread hasn't received a single response yet, you'll see it in the correct chronological order.

Unfortunately not being able to ignore Gaming (or EtcetERA, for those who dislike political threads) means you no longer get this easily scanned list. You have to sort through each new thread one by one, to determine whether it's from Gaming or EtcetERA.
Completely understand but it's easy to make a new bookmark for Gaming, EtcetEra, and the rest with "?order=post_date&direction=desc" at the end of the url if you only care about new threads in one of the forums. Or you can just use the filter at the top of the regular page and sort it yourself if you don't want an extra bookmark.

Gaming = https://www.resetera.com/forums/gaming-forum.7/?order=post_date&direction=desc
Etc = https://www.resetera.com/forums/etcetera-forum.9/?order=post_date&direction=desc

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Completely understand but it's easy to make a new bookmark for Gaming, EtcetEra, and the rest with "?order=post_date&direction=desc" at the end of the url if you only care about new threads in one of the forums. Or you can just use the filter at the top of the regular page and sort it yourself if you don't want an extra bookmark.

Gaming = https://www.resetera.com/forums/gaming-forum.7/?order=post_date&direction=desc
Etc = https://www.resetera.com/forums/etcetera-forum.9/?order=post_date&direction=desc
Thanks, use of bookmarks in this way appears to do exactly what I want. I'll use this method.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, use of bookmarks in this way appears to do exactly what I want. I'll use this method.
I've found that waiting on admins to fix things on this site to be how I like them is a waste of time because it'll never be how I like. It's why I use custom themes and scripts on my PC and then avoid the mobile site as much as possible because it's horrible compared to what I have on my laptop.

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Cool, removal of features that don't impact anyone intentionally is how we are doing things now? Nice. Please bring back ignore forums, I honestly don't care for Etcera and if someone is going to tell me to just bookmark gaming that's fine, I have. I just don't want to see Etcera so please let me do that.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, removal of features that don't impact anyone intentionally is how we are doing things now? Nice. Please bring back ignore forums, I honestly don't care for Etcera and if someone is going to tell me to just bookmark gaming that's fine, I have. I just don't want to see Etcera so please let me do that.
I mean, just look back 7 or 8 pages in this very thread and it's full of people who ignored a forum by accident then reported its disappearance as a bug. Accidental forum ignoring isn't an isolated incident.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if the [ cross ] tags be added to the button in the text editor... I love using those instead of the giant spoiler tag that completely breaks the text formating.

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
I mean, just look back 7 or 8 pages in this very thread and it's full of people who ignored a forum by accident then reported its disappearance as a bug. Accidental forum ignoring isn't an isolated incident.
Then make it an obvious option. It wasn't that hard to misinterprete what ignoring the forum meant previous to this removal as it had a giant pop up saying do you want to ignore the forum and you had to very specifically click ignore forum.

Just don't remove it without saying a word, that's unkind to your users and serves no one. Rework it, make it in a menu if you have to or make clicking the button on the forum far more obvious that it is to ignore THE ENTIRE of that chosen forum.

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Then make it an obvious option. It wasn't that hard to misinterprete what ignoring the forum meant previous to this removal as it had a giant pop up saying do you want to ignore the forum and you had to very specifically click ignore forum.

Just don't remove it without saying a word, that's unkind to your users and serves no one. Rework it, make it in a menu if you have to or make clicking the button on the forum far more obvious that it is to ignore THE ENTIRE of that chosen forum.
I would certainly support making it even more difficult to ignore an entire forum, rather than simply removing the function completely. It was a very useful feature when used in conjunction with Latest and Trending.

Nov 3, 2017

This X 100%. It’s the user’s problem if they goofed and accidentally ignored an entire forum on their own. Making it a drop down/are you sure thing would instantly fix that instead of just silently removing it and going quiet on the situation. This is honestly the same sort of nonsense behind Youtube removing some features and I don’t wanna see that mindset apply to helpful features here. For now I’ve had to stick to my watched threads bookmark since I don’t wanna go to the home page and the awful political boards anymore but it shouldn’t be a question on whether to remove this or not with no alternative, if people found it helpful.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like you can't view or access any thread unless you're logged in right now. Viewing any of the forums displays only "There are no threads in this forum.", and going to individuals threads gets you the "You must be logged-in to do that." error.

Or did BronsonLee secretly start charging for admission to fund his schemes

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, KY
It looks like you can't view or access any thread unless you're logged in right now. Viewing any of the forums displays only "There are no threads in this forum.", and going to individuals threads gets you the "You must be logged-in to do that." error.

Or did BronsonLee secretly start charging for admission to fund his schemes
I can also confirm that this is happening at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Latest version of chrome on mobile Galaxy Note 9:

Can't read twitter links, getting error message.

Template public:_media_site_embed_twitter not found.

Latest version of chrome on mobile Galaxy Note 9:

Can't read twitter links, getting error message.

Template public:_media_site_embed_twitter not found.
I’m seeing the same thing for embedded Twitter and Youtube posts. Right now I’m on Safari iOS.

Some threads are red all over with that “Template public:_media_site_embed_youtube not found.” error message! lol