Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filipus

Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Can't see embedded media here, windows 10 + edge.
This seems pretty hide spread, probably a bug with the plug in itself?

Pargon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing this is related to whatever caused the site to go private yesterday (visible only to logged-in members).
It would be good if the media embeds were updated to fall back to a working link if they fail for whatever reason.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'm guessing this is related to whatever caused the site to go private yesterday (visible only to logged-in members).
It would be good if the media embeds were updated to fall back to a working link if they fail for whatever reason.
It would be even better if the site automatically showed the url of embedded media under the embed at all times.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
All of a sudden page content is put in a column in the center as opposed to (almost) filling the available horizontal space. When clicking the burger to show the side bar, the bar neatly fills the empty space. Clicking the burger again to hide the bar doesn't expand the page content, it stays centered.

I don't remember how it used to work, but it wasn't like this. The first thing I noticed was how much space was being wasted on the sides. Bug or intentional change? Or am I going crazy?

Edit: Found it. God dammit this is backwards. Default to wide on PC please.

Last edited:

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not a bug but Ive just noticed that over 80% of my Brave Rewards would go to ResetEra, has anyone ever looked into getting verified so you can receive that money?
Not sure how many people are actually using Brave so maybe its just not worth it (though I think it wouldnt cost anything other than a 5% cut for Brave)

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Embeds should be fixed

It is surprisingly frustrating that XenForo doesn't preserve the original URL.
Thanks for the fix.

This little hiccup does put a spotlight on restera's handling of these external assets, though.

Should you ever brave the depths of the embed scripts to fix the above (rest in pieces & my condolences in advance), please consider these three feature requests:

Add a server side backup of textual information if at all possible (i.e. tweet text & nickname, youtube title & uploader, imgur gallery name, etc - whatever you can comfortably grab programmatically on post submission). This would be great for trawling through archives months after the fact since current embeds age exceptionally poorly. Lots of context and data gets lost in time due to how the current embedding code works: tweets get delisted, urls expire, etc.

Tinfoil hat request: much of the embedding stuff is loaded in from some offsite host, IIRC. A future update to the external scripts might render our archives here on resetera inoperable. Which, again, would suck. I'd like for the scripts to be hosted on-site so proper oversight, versioning and backups can be done, if at all possible. Also decreases attack surface.

Finally, if the external embed js load doesn't succeed, the embed code fails invisibly - embed buttons just don't show up. Ideally there should be some sort of error handling. Granted, I only know this due to fiddling with umatrix and from rare aborted page loads on shitty mobile connections, but it can happen.

Bonus:
Oh, and sometimes the (no image) embeds screw up the rss feed of new posts - this might just be my rss client though. Extremely low priority, but who knows, might be an easy fix. Just FYI, while I'm at it.

S I C K O

Dec 4, 2018
ignoring threads is so much more annoying now

can you not just make an option to ignore threads without having to open them?

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

S I C K O

Dec 4, 2018
That way stoped working since the new way to ignore. It doesn't sync with the built in system. So I still see threads on my phone, etc.

WoahW

Oct 27, 2017
So I’m encountering this message when trying to load on a PC

Can not securely connect to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
That way stoped working since the new way to ignore. It doesn't sync with the built in system. So I still see threads on my phone, etc.
Yep. I just posted in the script thread to see if that’s something that can be fixed, or if the confirm step being added has made it impossible to go back to clicking those Xs adding threads to the forums native ignore list so thst they’re hidden across devices.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't deem it unreasonable when such a feature was removed so randomly and quickly. It can easily be added back in like a bug fix but instead it's radio silence.
Well, that's just how it is. Bug fixes and feature requests are two completely different things that need completely different levels of authority to respond to.

It's clear the person that can perform bug fixes isn't able to respond with any authority on the matter.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I don't deem it unreasonable when such a feature was removed so randomly and quickly. It can easily be added back in like a bug fix but instead it's radio silence.
The ability to ignore whole forums was never something we really wanted to implement; it came linked with the solution for ignoring threads.

It caused a lot of confusion and accidents and more people found it an inconvenience than a benefit. We have no plans to bring it back.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
It caused a lot of confusion and accidents and more people found it an inconvenience than a benefit. We have no plans to bring it back.
Do you really know that though? People that were happily using the ignore forum feature weren’t going to be reaching out and telling staff about how much they liked it. So you’re only hearing from those who accidentally ignored forums and needed help. Given the number of people posting here that they want the option back, the balance may not be what you think. Could a solution not be to just bury the option in user options or wherever so it’s near impossible to accidentally ignore a forum?

And what about the other ignore features people asked about? Any chance of removing the annoying confirmation pop up when ignoring threads that was recently added? Any chance of adding ability to ignore threads without opening? Or adding the ability to filter out threads based on keywords like the user script allows on PCs (thst doesn’t add threads to ignore so only works in thst one PC and not mobile etc).

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The ability to ignore whole forums was never something we really wanted to implement; it came linked with the solution for ignoring threads.

Understandable. Is there a FAQ for technical questions like that? I've been happily using a bookmark that returns a thread list for a whole forum in reverse order of first post, since somebody posted the URL here in response to my query about using ignore forum alongside Latest threads last week. It's a very good workaround for that purpose. I'd recommend it be added to the FAQ.

Nov 3, 2017

Wow, that’s literally a youtube style response. I know I and many others used it to mute the political boards for the sake of our sanity and some used it to mute hangouts due to them being cluttered compared to the main boards (I didn’t mind them though)

Pretty terrible of you to silently remove the feature out of nowhere and think nobody would miss or notice it. If people really were messing up and accidentally ignoring boards, that’s their problem and a confirmation/reminder that it was on ignore like threads have now would fix that. I’m afraid I may just not use your site as much if you won’t bring back this feature and I’m sure I’m not alone. If you wanted to remove them then you should have polled the site first.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that’s literally a youtube style response. I know I and many others used it to mute the political boards for the sake of our sanity and some used it to mute hangouts due to them being cluttered compared to the main boards (I didn’t mind them though)

Pretty terrible of you to silently remove the feature out of nowhere and think nobody would miss or notice it. If people really were messing up and accidentally ignoring boards, that’s their problem and a confirmation/reminder that it was on ignore like threads have now would fix that. I’m afraid I may just not use your site as much if you won’t bring back this feature and I’m sure I’m not alone. If you wanted to remove them then you should have polled the site first.
You're definitely not alone. The prospect of visiting the site has become that much more unpleasant for me after this, also from leaving a pretty poor taste in my mouth at how this was handled.

Then is the reason you silently removed it without notice because you had begrudgingly added it in the first place? I mean, for nearly every other tweak or new feature there's been notices on the front page and yet this was the one exception where there was no alert beforehand and no confirmation once it was axed. Besides that, is the leadership really content with decision and ready to ignore the outcry of people in this very thread?

lacer

Oct 25, 2017
i just want to be able to ignore threads without clicking a second window. ideally i wish one could just ignore threads from the topic list. like i'm sorry but sometimes i just don't want to click through "Man Kills Entire Family, Sets Doggy Daycare On Fire" or whatever to ignore some topics

Eorl

Oct 30, 2017
Australia

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sadly I disagree heavily and think that such removal silently and without communication was terrible and the fact the team has no plans to reintroduce it is pretty shitty. Not even a thought to reimplementing it in a better fashion but instead straight up no is very reader deafening.

I was happy to be able to just ignore Etcera because it's a crap place and I see no point in me having it on my feed but now I don't even have an option. And this is all due to some vocal ones saying they don't understand how they ignored a whole forum despite it already being incredibly clear what such a button does by its most obvious name let alone the pop up you get. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded by punishing those using the feature.

But hey it's your forum, and if shitty practices are part of it then more power to you. I firmly believe you are entirely wrong and the fact no one didn't want to comment until now and then that a comment is simply "people were stupid so we didn't bother with an alternative solution but straight up removed it" speaks volumes to how this forum's features are handled. Hopefully it can return in the future when it's realised that people actually enjoyed being able to ignore crappy parts of this forum.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sadly I disagree heavily and think that such removal silently and without communication was terrible and the fact the team has no plans to reintroduce it is pretty shitty. Not even a thought to reimplementing it in a better fashion but instead straight up no is very reader deafening.

I was happy to be able to just ignore Etcera because it's a crap place and I see no point in me having it on my feed but now I don't even have an option. And this is all due to some vocal ones saying they don't understand how they ignored a whole forum despite it already being incredibly clear what such a button does by its most obvious name let alone the pop up you get. Stupidity shouldn't be rewarded by punishing those using the feature.

But hey it's your forum, and if shitty practices are part of it then more power to you. I firmly believe you are entirely wrong and the fact no one didn't want to comment until now and then that a comment is simply "people were stupid so we didn't bother with an alternative solution but straight up removed it" speaks volumes to how this forum's features are handled. Hopefully it can return in the future when it's realised that people actually enjoyed being able to ignore crappy parts of this forum.
You should try to prove they're wrong by making a thread. If there are many who believe the same as you do then they'll join their voices with yours.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it would be better if you could actually explain where you’re coming from without vaguely whining about Etcera being a “a crap place”? Being arbitrarily insulting isn’t really the best approach when you’re trying to appeal to the site staff.

Beyond that, personally, I’m sympathetic to those who are avoiding the forum because it is legitimately mentally taxing to be presented with reminders of how the world is going badly for them. I’m less sympathetic to people who just apathetically don’t want to have to think about things that aren’t video games. And you’re coming across like the latter here, which probably isn’t endearing you to members who might actually support you on this.

Ignore Forums confirmation dialog
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We have restored the option to ignore forums, this time with the additional confirmation dialog seen when ignoring threads. This solution will hopefully prevent accidental use of the feature.

Oct 27, 2017
We have restored the option to ignore forums, this time with the additional confirmation dialog seen when ignoring threads. This solution will hopefully prevent accidental use of the feature.
That's a real relief. Thank you.

I appreciate that you listened and reconsidered. Hopefully, the leadership can continue to communicate openly for any changes like these that might be made in the future, just as you had been before this entire ignore forums thing.

Nov 3, 2017
You should try to prove they're wrong by making a thread. If there are many who believe the same as you do then they'll join their voices with yours.
Or better yet add a poll to said
You guys are awesome. Next time if you need to make a change I think polling your userbase would be a better idea. Many thanks!

Eorl

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Thank you very kindly on listening to the community. Like others have said simply in the future having discussions on elements would be awesome as it gives a chance for your community to actually put their voice in to be heard without a blanket rule taking place. Again, thank you for your efforts.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making the right decision here, and for restoring our previous configuration of ignored content while you were at it. I appreciate the staff's willingness to rethink their earlier stance. As someone who relies on the feature, it seemed discordant from the start to kill it while simultaneously introducing the confirmation box for threads. Please be mindful of the optics of stealthily overhauling or removing critical features with no prior communication from now on.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Hey staff/mods

XboxDvr video tags are no longer working on the forums. I guess it is something to do with their re-brand.

Essentially, after a request from Microsoft, they have had to rebrand to GamerDVR.

Could their site be added to the media tag list please?

Also, XboxClips media are acting strange on my phone. When I media tag them the aspect ratio is all off. The video is zoomed in and cuts off most of the video. It works when I switch my phone to landscape, but portrait has the issue.

I am on Chrome browser with a Note 9 if that helps solve the issue. See an example here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/apex-legends-ot2-got-an-official-thread-here-level-2.104929/post-19516203

Thanks for your efforts and hopefully these issues can be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.