• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Ignore Forums confirmation dialog
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We have restored the option to ignore forums, this time with the additional confirmation dialog seen when ignoring threads. This solution will hopefully prevent accidental use of the feature.

Mobile home screen launcher issues all fixed!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
iOS/Safari issues with launching the site from the home screen should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! We believe that all mobile home screen related issues are now resolved.

Update on mobile Accessibility settings
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
One problem I'm having with 2.0 on Chrome on Android, is that forcing text scaling via Chrome's accessibility settings doesn't seem to work properly, some random text here and there does scale, but the text in any of the posts doesn't scale at all.

I'm super short-sighted, so getting this working again would be *greatly* appreciated, otherwise using it on mobile is a pain (it used to work fine on the old version of the site).
Information
We've actually been spending a lot of time looking at this and it's been super frustrating on our end because our conclusion is that it might not be possible. I think I owe you, and the others who requested this, a thorough explanation so here goes:

Xenforo 2.0 does not natively support scaleable fonts. We spent considerable time preparing a test where we replaced all the fonts with scaleable versions; while this worked fine on desktop, we discovered that it still did nothing on Android which was the whole point to begin with. After researching the matter, we found that Android handles accessibility settings in a way that designers (us) cannot affect.

You can read more about this here.

In other words, Android handles accessibility in such a way that literally nothing we do will matter. I'm very regretful that we cannot provide a proper solution for this, but if a fix comes it will have to come from Google.

As of now the only solution we have found for Android users is to enlarge fonts for the whole phone via your system settings, and then use Firefox instead of Chrome. Go into the Firefox accessibility settings and enable the "Use system font size" option. This should work right now. I'm sorry that no better option exists.

Added forced height to desktop leaderboard ad
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
When browsing in Chrome, ResetEra wants to keep opening app pages or I’ll get redirected to a World Series of Poker app...

Not sure if it’s Chrome or the site but it’s been happening since the update.
We believe that's a bad ad, and we've already been in touch with our ad agency about it. Sorry for the inconvenience. And on that note...

We have added a forced height to the desktop leaderboard ad placement so that it will no longer push content down on load.

Last edited:
Favicons fixed!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I just tried deleting and readding the bookmark, no luck. Still the generic icon.
For some reason the ResetERA favicon keeps disappearing from my bookmarks taskbar on Chrome. It reappears after I click the bookmark link. This started happening a couple days ago.
The new home screen icon is very nice, but ever since 2.0 launched, the site icon/favicon doesn’t show up in iOS Safari, leading to ResetEra just showing a R for its icon instead of the image. This is still true today, even after clearing my browser cache.
I was wondering if you guys could fix/readd the icon for saving Resetera as a favorite? It used to show the logo but now it just shows a purple R in my safari favorites - thanks!
Information
We've made another adjustment that might have fixed some or all of these issues. Let us know if you are still having problems in a few hours!

Conversation upgrades
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We've improved the conversation (private message) system! In case you weren't aware, you've been able to create folders to elegantly organize your messages by pressing the "+" next to INBOX on the conversation page. You will now also be able to see when and if a participant last read the conversation; this information is now available on the participants list. You can also sticky conversations in your folders, and edit the titles of conversations you started.

If you do not want members to know when/if you have read a conversation, you can turn this off with the "Conversation Privacy" setting under "Privacy" on your user menu.

Sidebar and Width settings FINALLY FIXED
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Hello everyone, we have once again revamped how the system handles sidebar (and now width!) settings!

Previously the settings for both sidebars and page width would expire after 4 hours of inactivity. As of the last update, that method could be overridden through toggles available in user preferences. However, that system was a little clunky and also did not fix things for guests.

We have now implemented a new system that will save your sidebar and width preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This is the best of all worlds as it will allow you to choose different settings depending on your device, if you so desire. The previous "Style options" should no longer be necessary and have been removed.

This has been our #1 most reported issue and we hope that this solution will finally lay it to rest.

More Conversation/Private Message upgrades
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have added even more functionality to Conversations/Private Messages: You can now search the contents of your own Conversations, and if you report a Conversation that report will also invite moderators to join it. To perform a search, simply select the search bar while viewing a Conversation or the full Conversation list. You will have options to search "Everywhere" or in "Conversations" or in "This conversation" alone!

Homepage updated!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
As some of you have already noticed, we have a significant cosmetic update for you today: The homepage has been renovated to make the Hangouts sections more visible, with their own unique custom icons/graphics! Their relationship with the "main" forum sections is maintained through color coordination and a shared naming scheme. Descriptions have been added or tweaked on desktop for clarity. On mobile, we have drastically reduced the vertical space required by each node for a much cleaner look. The side navigation and Quick Jump have also been adjusted accordingly and should now be much easier to understand at a glance and for new users.

Search results now ordered by Date instead of Relevance
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Search results are now ordered by Date instead of Relevance by default. You can still choose to order by Relevance with advanced search.

Performance Issues Fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have applied a fix for the performance issues (high CPU usage) reported by some members.

Delays due to staff personal issues
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Due to unexpected personal issues, our tech team has been delayed on a bunch of fixes and features we had planned for the new year. Work is still ongoing, just slower than we had hoped.

The hide avatars functionality still seems to be missing. Are there any plans for bringing it back?
We have a version of this in testing.

Any update on the width/sidebar preference issue...? Not trying to be a dick about it but it's been an issue since literally the beginning of this redesign.
We are investigating this. It's our top bug priority.

Up/Down/Refresh buttons added to top bar
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have added Up/Down/Refresh buttons to the top sticky bar. These are available for both guests and members, on both desktop and mobile.

Because they make the floating buttons obsolete, we will be killing those shortly.

Mobile home screen icon added!
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Is mobile icon when adding to home screen ugly for anyone else ?
Please add an iOS home screen icon for those of us using the “Add to home screen” feature. Currently it displays a screenshot for the icon.
Anything about an actual icon for mobile when saving to your home screen?
I don’t know if this is really a bug, but I’m still holding my breath for a proper iOS home screen icon.
Information
Pleased to report that we have added a shiny new favicon for mobile homepages!

When you add ResetEra to your mobile homepage you'll now be greeted by this beauty:

Imgur fixed on dark theme
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Some images aren't loading for me. (Also I can't upload any images and it's telling me to contact an administrator). I'm using Naver Whale, which is based on Chromium. Edge loads the image without a problem but Chrome on my phone doesn't.

https://i.imgur.com/5yd0geZ.png
Information
We've found and fixed a problem where imgur images were not loading on dark theme.

Watched Threads Fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
The Watched Threads issue should now be resolved. This was a particularly nasty bug that was tied into a bunch of other systems and untangling the mess was tedious; in the end we had to disable (for now) the dedicated New Threads page. The New Threads feed on the right sidebar (found on the main page) is still working perfectly. Thank you for your patience with the downtime.

Search function on desktop fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have fixed an issue with the search function on desktop that caused it to ignore selected criteria when the "Enter" key was used instead of pressing the "Search" button.

Are bookmarks ever coming back please?

I liked being able to mark posts that had useful info in them, so I could revisit them.
Bookmarks will return eventually, but likely not anytime soon. The old implementation caused performance issues when placed under heavy load.

Xbox Live identifiers on profiles fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
The Xbox Live identifier on profiles now supports space characters.

Latest Threads rebuilt
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have successfully rebuilt the Latest Threads function and it is here to stay. We've also added it to the Quick Jump navigation for easier access.

Drafts update
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Drafts will now save automatically every 30 seconds, and should remain saved for 72 hours.

Nice that latest threads are back. Since filtering by boards was what screwed with watched threads is there any hope of us being able to filter them again?
I'm not going to say never, but probably not.

Filtering added to Watched Threads
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Since a few minutes ago, the Watched Threads list only shows by default unread threads. I have to manually remove the "Show only: unread" filter, or append "?unread=0" to the URL, to see previously read threads.
This is actually a feature update!
Nice that latest threads are back. Since filtering by boards was what screwed with watched threads is there any hope of us being able to filter them again?
Information
You're in luck: We've found a way to add filtering to the Watched Threads page without messing with anything else!

The list can now display only Unread threads. You can also filter by forum section, thread creator, and last update. There are also a variety of sorting options. You can find these filter options in the top right.

Thread title colors adjusted / Disabled avatars padding update
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Information
We have adjusted the padding to the mobile thread list when avatars are disabled. We believe this should now work for at least the vast majority of users.

At the same time we also changed the colors of thread titles on the thread list; unread threads are now black/gray instead of purple. We're searching for the best solution to make thread titles as readable as possible.

We thought we had a permanent fix for the Watched threads issue, but the solution ended up breaking other stuff so this is going to take some more work. In the meantime, the temporary workaround posted previously should still work.

CROSS and HIDE tags fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We have introduced fixes for CROSS and HIDE tags. Both tags should now be working properly.

HIDE tags have additionally been upgraded from their old functionality: Now they will automatically reveal themselves to anyone who has posted inside the thread, and be hidden from everyone else. We believe the change should be retroactive, so please let us know ASAP if you are seeing old HIDE tags that are still not working.

Covers fixed
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
We believe Covers should now be working for thread creators. Please note that, as with other features, we'll be monitoring what kind of effect this has on performance under heavy traffic.

First Patch Applied

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Is the forum database failing? Threads are reset to their state just before before yesterday's maintenance (about 4 pm UTC).
On mobile I can only see half of the thread. If I try to skip to the last page it takes me to the middle. If I post i can see recent posts above me but nothing else.
Half of the posts just disappearing in this thread. It jumps from 33 pages to 17, with the last reply nearly 12 hours ago.
When i click on threads now it says thread cant be found. Sometimes when i refresh the thread loads.
Now it won't even let me open threads like the new Smash OT. I hope this forum gets some serious fixes before Friday. I appreciate the hardwork devs! Just needed a bit time in the oven.
I'm having troubles seeing page 2 of topics in the Video Games section. It keeps showing topics from 12 hours ago. Page 1 is fine and being updated, but page 2 just shows topics from 12 hours ago.

Also, when I go into a topic it's not showing the latest post. It cuts off like the last 30 posts.
There's some weirdness going on with the current thread glitch.

Right now I'm on page second but if I click this thread from the menu, it brings me to a version of the thread that only has 9 pages worth of posts. Takes a few tries to actually bring me to the current version of the thread with 17 pages.
Add me to the list of people now getting that "oops" error message when clicking on threads.
Did we travel back in time?
Slow and full of redundancy and now full of errors telling me thread no longer exists and notification constantly showing old alerts and then not.

This is a mess.
We have identified the backend problem that was causing most of the errors on the site today. The first of two patches has already been applied, and the other will go out later tonight.

CROSS bbcode

Hecht

Stuck in the Thanus 🔨
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It looks like [ cross ] tags no longer have any effect. Even if this was intentional, it means that previously marked spoilers are now not marked!

Sometimes the cross tag was used so you could mark an individual word or phrase as a spoiler without hiding the whole sentence.
This is on our list to address.

Watched Threads issue

Hecht

Stuck in the Thanus 🔨
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
My watched threads were all initially intact after the migration, but upon adding a new watched thread it erased all but one, which wasn't even the one I had just clicked to watch. If I visit those threads individually, they still show up as watched, but even unwatching and rewatching them does not make them reappear. I'm not the only one who has had this happen but as far as I could tell the issue hasn't been recognized just yet.
We're aware of the issue and are looking into it.

Second Back-End Patch

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
We've recently applied the second back-end fix. This should help with stability and load times. We're aware of the issues with website styling/CSS and are working on a fix. Thank you for your continued patience.

Bookmarks Disabled

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
We have disabled bookmarks for now as it was causing performance issues. It will remain disabled until we can sort them out.

Website styling/CSS Fixed

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Our tireless tech team has fixed the website styling/CSS issue. We will continue to diligently work on solving remaining bugs and increasing performance.

Max Width Button
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Love to only use 65% of my horizontal screen
Too much wasted space for non-mobile users. I can hide the side bars but my layout is the same, why not extend it dynamically? Right now I have two big empty spaces to the left and right of me, and its fucking with me. Feels too mobile-focused. I like it when the page fills my screen (For reference I'm using a 1080p 24 inch monitor)
There's a button for you in the bottom left.

Hide Avatars in Thread List
Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

I've added the option to show or hide avatars in thread listings throughout the site. This option, if disabled, will hide avatars that normally show to the left of a thread title in any thread listing (e.g. inside a forum, watched threads, trending, etc.).

You can access it by going to https://www.resetera.com/account/preferences and changing the "Show Avatars in Thread List" option.

Enjoy!

Temporary solution to Watched Threads issues
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Watched threads showing up when there's no new posts is annoying. No idea if it's a bug but the old theme didn't do it, and it's doing my tits in.
This is kinda inconvenience but the watched thread feature doesnt provide all my watched threads but half of them. I dont know how to track the invisible ones
We're working on a fix for this. One way to resolve for now: Navigate to Trending and disable all node filters.