Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Report bugs here (Check "Staff Posts" at the top of the thread for updates)

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Welcome to 2.0!

Last month we revealed all of this to a wonderful response from you, the community. Your positive words and encouragement really motivated us to do our best, and so for the past 22 days we have been talking with you guys in the beta thread, gathering your feedback, and implementing as many requests as we could. The result has made this a better site. We have enjoyed our conversations with you all and would like to thank everyone who took the time to try the beta and offer their impressions.

For those of you who might be wondering what has changed, here is a partial changelog from the beta. This list covers only features and design; we have omitted the many bug fixes:

ResetEra 2.0 Beta Changelog
  • Switched fonts from Source Sans Pro to Roboto for superior readability
  • Changed the purples on light theme to match the more subdued purples from dark theme
  • Adjusted the arrangement of information on the thread list for a cleaner look
  • Removed subforum node display above each thread list
  • Removed right side avatars for latest posters on the thread list
  • Added Quick Jump navigation feature to the top scrolling header
  • Subforums now appear on the mobile main page
  • Removed forum descriptions from Video Games/EtcetEra headers on mobile to conserve vertical space
  • Further reduced vertical spacing on mobile
  • Removed green dot indicator of user's online status
  • Added ribbon highlight for the OP of a thread
  • Desktop users can now directly access their bookmarks list from the left sidebar
  • Gender now displays on profile pop-ups
  • Added "Non-Binary" gender option
  • Greatly reduced the drop shadow on the top scrolling bar
  • Avatars with portrait dimensions will now resize rather than be cut off
  • Reduced height of top scrolling ba
  • Removed all references to "Likes"
  • Moved light/dark theme switch to the left sidebar
  • Added bread crumbs to forum list and thread view
  • Added user option under Preferences to enable/disable floating buttons that go to the top or bottom of the page.
  • Added clearer delineation for stickied threads on the thread list
  • Made avatar backgrounds transparent
  • Removed speech bubble arrows in thread view
  • Added highlights for your own posts and quotes of your own posts
  • Adjusted thread title colors on dark theme thread lists for greater contrast
  • Truncated site logo on mobile header
  • Added weight to unread thread titles to make them more easily distinguished from read thread titles
  • Reduced text contrast inside threads on dark theme
  • Moved "Newest Threads" above "Forum Statistics" on right sidebar
  • Added thread navigation options to the top of threads on mobile
  • On mobile, tapping your name on the left sidebar will now take you to your profile page instead of your account details

If you did not get a chance to study the list of new features from the old announcement thread, please check out the updated 2.0 New Features Guide to learn all about Threadmarks, Cover Images, and other features that can revolutionize how you post and browse.

As explained in our original announcement, ResetEra 2.0 has been built upon next generation forum software in Xenforo 2.0. The older designs (Light/Dark/Day/Night) were built upon the older Xenforo 1.5. This is an upgrade that needed to happen to ensure that the base software will continue to receive support. Because this is a generational leap, none of the older themes were compatible with the new software. We have poured every resource we had, and some we had to borrow, into making this new design the best we could.

We would at this time like to thank our amazing contractors, whose labors helped turn dreams into reality. They have been more than consummate professionals; they adopted our ambitious goals and our passion as their own. These guys really went above and beyond to meet our requests.

A great deal of credit is due to deltaplus and less, whose long technical labors made all of this possible. Deltaplus just spent the last fourteen hours migrating the database into the new software and he has done an incredible job as usual. You can read his postmortem for a detailed explanation of what this entailed and where certain complications arose.

Very special thanks must also go out to Emily, who spent hours upon hours of her time poring over details and brainstorming new ideas, and Sirpopopop, whose leadership of our volunteer Front End team laid the groundwork for everything good in 2.0. Both of them have been with us from the very beginning, and they have each been driving forces behind many of our biggest projects. Now, with the release of 2.0, they have decided to retire and ride off into the sunset with our eternal admiration and thanks. Sirpopopop is a hero who built the legacy themes with a small skeleton crew in the frantic days leading up to our launch just over a year ago. Emily will be long remembered for shaping everything from policy to design; she will remain a great friend and source of wisdom even as she turns her focus to her family.

I can't emphasize it enough: A lot of awesome people really poured their hearts and souls into making this happen.

Looking to the future, there are many more features we would like to introduce which did not make the cut for launch, some of which are very cool indeed. We will continue to investigate possible ways to improve the navigation options. This is a foundation upon which we can build for years to come.

If you encounter any bugs please post them there with as much detail (browser, OS, device) as possible. Thank you!

Known issues we're currently tracking:
  • General slowness and long loading times

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Thank you to all the incredible people involved in this, and thank you to the incredible community. Here's to ResetEra 2.0!

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Sooo... we live now?

Not much has changed since the last iteration of the beta, but I have already spotted a few things I overlooked in the beta:

- I didn't notice it earlier, but the subforum a thread is posted in is missing in the Watched threads list. Legacy (may God rest their soul) did have it and I thought it was handy.

- In the text formatting ribbon, the quote function is hidden underneath the "insert" drop down menu. It should be put in the ribbon itself in my opinion.

- Related: there is a "Staff" option in the "insert" drop down menu. I am not sure what it does and if it is even supposed be there for regular users like me?

- Lastly, still not a fan of the thick, purple font used for unwatched threads. It is overwhelming, especially in subforums like Video Games and Etcetera, where threads move very fast and most go unread.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to get the site to load. Initial impressions of the Dark Theme seem rather positive!
Oh god that sidebar is horrific. Any way to collapse/remove it?
Just click the hamburger (three horizontal bars) in the top left corner.

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's alive!

Thanks for everyone who's been working so hard to make this happen. I love the new designs.

Anyway, I'm so happy that my only gripe from the beta version has now been addressed. The widget on the left following me is perfect.

Last edited:

Mist

Love & Respect
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, it's nice to have finally launched. Many thanks to everyone who worked tirelessly on this. <3

TCi

Oct 25, 2017
*Bright light, bright light*

Great work. Gonna take a little while to get used to it. The new features looks promising.

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hmm... what's the purpose of this huge banner at the top of the thread with a Reply button there?

Seems like it'll only encourage people to post before even reading the OP. Well, that's what people do anway, but it'll only make it worse, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Looks great! Though I wish quote boxes were a slightly different shade of grey in the dark theme. At least the top bit where it says the username. It's not as easy to see

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
Hmm... what's the purpose of this huge banner at the top of the thread with a Reply button there?

Seems like it'll only encourage people to post before even reading the OP. Well, that's what people do anway, but it'll only make it worse, I think.
As mentioned in the features thread, that's the cover and the thread creator can assign a image to put there.