• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Welcome to the Black Parade is now older than Bohemian Rhapsody was when I was born.

Oct 29, 2017
I like time facts like this. It will be a few more years before music does that to me. Everything before 2010 has always been old and never been new to me. But songs like Welcome to the Black Parade still seem somewhat recent.

Jan 11, 2018
Oh thank the lord. This thread title got me doing math (already bad), and I almost thought I was old too! I've got several years until I cross this threshold. Still, it's strange to realize that I first heard "Welcome to the Black Parade" almost at the mid-point of my life now.

Oct 25, 2017
Bicentennial baby here, so this happened to me in 2008. I am mostly just commenting because The Black Parade is amazing and I want to be part of this thread.

Dec 18, 2018
Welcome To The Black Parade is truly the modern Bohemian Rhapsody. Ambitious structure, provocative themes, building in layers, masterpiece moment after masterpiece moment, extremely cathartic, and the best rock song of its generation.

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I've never been a fan of MCR, and even this song is difficult to get out of my head as if it were a fairly recent release. It played on the radio non stop when I started working retail in 2006. Damn, that was over twelve years ago!?

Oct 28, 2017
Cleopatra lived closer to the building of Pizza Hut than the pyramids. The Great Pyramid was built cerca 2560 BC, while Cleopatralived around 30 BC. The first Pizza Huto pened in 1958, which is about 500 years closer.

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome To The Black Parade is truly the modern Bohemian Rhapsody. Ambitious structure, provocative themes, building in layers, masterpiece moment after masterpiece moment, extremely cathartic, and the best rock song of its generation.
I wouldn't go that far. Especially since Jesus of Suburbia still exists and has a more similar theming and structure to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
There have been a lot of MCR threads here lately...

But yes it's crazy that this song (and that entire era) is starting to slip away into society's collective memory. The albums that get me are that Green Day's Dookie just turned 25 last month, and American Idiot will hit 15 later this year. I'm as old as Dookie and I grew up on American Idiot (and Black Parade) so it's crazy to see how fast our entertainment can age.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
There have been a lot of MCR threads here lately...

But yes it's crazy that this song (and that entire era) is starting to slip away into society's collective memory. The albums that get me are that Green Day's Dookie just turned 25 last month, and American Idiot will hit 15 later this year. I'm as old as Dookie and I grew up on American Idiot (and Black Parade) so it's crazy to see how fast our entertainment can age.
I made the last thread on them too. Was just listening to the radio and i remember "Classic Rock" stations being around when i was growing up playing Queen, but MCR and bands even before them aren't on "Classic Rock" stations. Maybe because my gen doesn't actually listen to the radio, but it just got me thinking when they'll be added.

Oct 25, 2017
Time has been incredibly kind to MCR. I think most people would agree that Black Parade/Danger Days are both stone-cold classics with a level of ambition you rarely see anymore.
Completely agreed. While contemporary, they were held back by the wholesale emo (which they weren't, imo) backlash that was going on, but since then a lot of folks are looking at them as a band first and foremost, and they really delivered some great material. I love that they just went for it.