• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
2006 vs 1975. I was born in 1987.

Just put the dirt over me now, bruddahs. Just make sure you play both albums at my funeral.

When is MCR going to be on Classic Rock radio stations?

Oct 27, 2017
The Black Parade turns 13 later this year. Pretty soon there will be teenagers who were born after the song Teenagers released.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I like time facts like this. It will be a few more years before music does that to me. Everything before 2010 has always been old and never been new to me. But songs like Welcome to the Black Parade still seem somewhat recent.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only time fact that really fucks with me is that Gone With the Wind is closer to the film's setting (the Civil War) than present day.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Oh thank the lord. This thread title got me doing math (already bad), and I almost thought I was old too! I've got several years until I cross this threshold. Still, it's strange to realize that I first heard "Welcome to the Black Parade" almost at the mid-point of my life now.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm far younger but the other day I realized that I vividly remember buying a physical copy of Meteora (one of my first album purchases) from a store and I felt ancient.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bicentennial baby here, so this happened to me in 2008. I am mostly just commenting because The Black Parade is amazing and I want to be part of this thread.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Just got The Black Parade on vinyl. It is 100% certified absolute banger of an album. I don't think there is a weak song. It's so good.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Welcome To The Black Parade is truly the modern Bohemian Rhapsody. Ambitious structure, provocative themes, building in layers, masterpiece moment after masterpiece moment, extremely cathartic, and the best rock song of its generation.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've never been a fan of MCR, and even this song is difficult to get out of my head as if it were a fairly recent release. It played on the radio non stop when I started working retail in 2006. Damn, that was over twelve years ago!?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I've been revisiting MCR a lot lately.
I hope they do a reunion tour one day, I'd be there day one.

Fuck man, we're getting old...

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rock music in general feels really old to me. I barely listen to it anymore, and I'm 34.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You sweet summer child.

Enema of the State turns 20 this year. That fact will fuck with a great many.

giphy.gif

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Cleopatra lived closer to the building of Pizza Hut than the pyramids. The Great Pyramid was built cerca 2560 BC, while Cleopatralived around 30 BC. The first Pizza Huto pened in 1958, which is about 500 years closer.

Dec 24, 2017
I had to look up what The Black Parade is.

I vaguely remember this as the time period in which I first noticed that I was not understanding what was going on with young people.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome To The Black Parade is truly the modern Bohemian Rhapsody. Ambitious structure, provocative themes, building in layers, masterpiece moment after masterpiece moment, extremely cathartic, and the best rock song of its generation.

I wouldn't go that far. Especially since Jesus of Suburbia still exists and has a more similar theming and structure to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Oct 25, 2017
Born in 88, not an old man like you yet OP. Woo!

Blows my mind though, still listen to that album once in awhile

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
There have been a lot of MCR threads here lately...

But yes it's crazy that this song (and that entire era) is starting to slip away into society's collective memory. The albums that get me are that Green Day's Dookie just turned 25 last month, and American Idiot will hit 15 later this year. I'm as old as Dookie and I grew up on American Idiot (and Black Parade) so it's crazy to see how fast our entertainment can age.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
There have been a lot of MCR threads here lately...

But yes it's crazy that this song (and that entire era) is starting to slip away into society's collective memory. The albums that get me are that Green Day's Dookie just turned 25 last month, and American Idiot will hit 15 later this year. I'm as old as Dookie and I grew up on American Idiot (and Black Parade) so it's crazy to see how fast our entertainment can age.
I made the last thread on them too. Was just listening to the radio and i remember "Classic Rock" stations being around when i was growing up playing Queen, but MCR and bands even before them aren't on "Classic Rock" stations. Maybe because my gen doesn't actually listen to the radio, but it just got me thinking when they'll be added.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Mama"and "House of Wolves" lowkey the best songs on that album... fight me.

Edit: Looking at the tracklist, that album is full of awesome songs...

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Time has been incredibly kind to MCR. I think most people would agree that Black Parade/Danger Days are both stone-cold classics with a level of ambition you rarely see anymore.
Completely agreed. While contemporary, they were held back by the wholesale emo (which they weren't, imo) backlash that was going on, but since then a lot of folks are looking at them as a band first and foremost, and they really delivered some great material. I love that they just went for it.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this album is so fucking good

I'll ENCOURAGE your SMILES
I'll EXPECT you won't CRY