• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl?

• Brilliant Diamond

Votes: 185 35.3%
  • Shining Pearl

Votes: 73 13.9%
  • ...Platinum

Votes: 266 50.8%

• Total voters

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also pokemon from the nat dex can be found right when you get to the underground, hopefully the full data is up quick when release day comes for team building

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
We need earlier access to the evo items, though. Most of the new evolutions in DP were locked to the postgame or at least after defeating Cyrus.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
WHY.png

They deadass be giving even the first Cynthia fight a motherfucking Yache SD chomp with pretty good EVs and perfect IVs I fucking-

Before you could hope it used Dragon Rush and missed or used Giga Impact and had to recover a turn and try to OHKO with a strong ice move. Now? Haaahahaha dear lord

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What version are you guys getting?

If I were to get it, I'm fixing a old ass gripe from long ago, where my friend and I intended on buying Pearl, but had to settle for Diamond instead because that's all they had left at the time

Gen 4 was the first and only time I struggled to find a Pokemon game on launch day/week lol, so I took what they had

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pearl. The original Pearl was a very formative game for me as a kid. I had 400 hours on my file, which was many, many more than any other game I'd ever played. So it just feels very right that after so many years, I'm gonna get to play Pearl, largely as it was, once more. A "coming home after a long time" sort of feeling.

Which is not to say I don't want the Platinum content, because I absolutely do. But I'm trying to see the bright side here lol.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
been seeing that people went from "worst pokemon remake" to positive/optimistic due to some of the post-game stuff??

can someone Tl;DR the hype content??

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
been seeing that people went from "worst pokemon remake" to positive/optimistic due to some of the post-game stuff??

The big postgame one seems to be that the gym leader rematches and E4 rematches are actually appropriately challenging and using Platinum teams, especially the E4 rematches which have a second round of very well optimized rematches. So there's actually some very solid challenge to be had contrary to what we were expecting. Additionally, National Dex Pokemon seek to be available early on in the game via underground for more team options. I've also been seeing that Exp. Share may be better balanced than initially expected, but I'll need to see more before I fully buy into that.

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020

Gym Leader rematches as much as you want (w/ competitive movesets in the 60's and 70"s)

2 tiers of Elite 4 Rematches where Pokemon are in the 70's and 80's (again, with competitive movesets)

VS Seeker (refight all overworld trainers)

Rowan's assistant rematch (Pokemon in the 60's or 70's)

Tons of legendaries to catch - this is pretty standard these days.

-----

Basically the quality and quantity of these superbosses is unmatched in the series. And they're all refightable as much as you want.

These are -not- common features, although they should be. VS Seeker hasn't been in a game since Platinum 2009, and with refightable Gym Leaders you have to go back to HGSS in 2010.

Stronger E4 has been common in the last decade, but the strongest Champion match here is Level 88 which is 10 levels higher than the previous high Lv. 78 (Platinum)

Just... Tons of good stuff for replayability if you're someone who wants a challenge for your new teams but doesn't want to have to find that challenge in online play.

------

Also we found out the Day 1 patch size and it's big enough to almost guarantee that the battle themes will be fixed.

Last edited:

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I was initially 100% going to get Diamond but now I don't know. If everybody I know picks up Diamond as well I'll probably get Pearl instead to make completing the pokedex easier for myself even though I hate Palkia compared to Dialga.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
VS seeker is really cool

BUT

WHERE IS TEACHY TV GAMEFREAK FOR TOO LONG I HAVE GONE WITHOUT THAT FEATURE AND THE SUFFERING ENDS TODAY

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Is there a list for all the Pokemon available in each version?
Can only be caught in Brilliant Diamond:
  • Silcoon
  • Murkrow
  • Aron
  • Stunky
  • Larvitar
  • Kecleon
  • Mightyena
  • Mr. Mime
  • Skuntank
  • Scyther
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
Can only be caught in Shining Pearl:
  • Cascoon
  • Dustox
  • Misdreavus
  • Slowpoke
  • Stantler
  • Bagon
  • Sudowoodo
  • Houndoom
  • Glameow
  • Purugly
  • Pinsir
  • Spheal
  • Sealeo

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
  • Silcoon
  • Murkrow
  • Aron
  • Stunky
  • Larvitar
  • Kecleon
  • Mightyena
  • Mr. Mime
  • Skuntank
  • Scyther
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
  • Cascoon
  • Dustox
  • Misdreavus
  • Slowpoke
  • Stantler
  • Bagon
  • Sudowoodo
  • Houndoom
  • Glameow
  • Purugly
  • Pinsir
  • Spheal
  • Sealeo

Thank you so much! Going by this list, I'll most likely get the Shining Pearl version.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  • Silcoon
  • Murkrow
  • Aron
  • Stunky
  • Larvitar
  • Kecleon
  • Mightyena
  • Mr. Mime
  • Skuntank
  • Scyther
  • Seel
  • Dewgong
  • Cascoon
  • Dustox
  • Misdreavus
  • Slowpoke
  • Stantler
  • Bagon
  • Sudowoodo
  • Houndoom
  • Glameow
  • Purugly
  • Pinsir
  • Spheal
  • Sealeo

Yep, Pearl it is

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was looking at the legendary encounter table and noticed that there are actually two encounters listed for Giratina. One is the Altered Forme encounter in Turnback Cave we already saw earlier today (with the regular Legendary Pokemon music set to play); but the other is a Origin Forme encounter with Giratina's Platinum theme set to play.

I assume this HAS to have something to do with the Distortion Room in Ramanas Park

SPOILER_xfedebcnqoy71.png

but before now I assumed you'd just get the Griseous Orb there with no battle. Now i'm not so sure; is there a second Giratina to catch? Can you only battle Origin Forme Giratina if you go to the room before Turnback Cave? We'll just have to wait and see, since these rooms don't function properly in the current version.

It's probably worth nothing that the two Giratina encounters are also marked as "tokushu" (special); a distinction shared with Rotom, Darkrai and Shaymin. Not sure what the relevance of that is yet.

Are Cranidos and Shieldon no longer exclusive?
They probably are; these are just from the wild encounter tables. Pokemon you get as gifts (like the fossils) wouldn't be there.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Tyranitar and Scizor? Easiest Diamond of my life

Really love reading all of these postgame discoveries. It's not quite the same as full Platinum content, but the best rematches in the franchise isn't bad. Odd approach but I'm not mad.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Those rematches look really painful, Cynthia team during the Elite Four rematch is brutal her Garchomp has the everything move set and IV and it's level 88.

Look at the rematches..

FDz0KvJWYAQEcNC

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that exclusive list is 100% correct, we've seen people playing Brilliant Diamond find Houndoom in the underground. I think it's because it's a Platinum Dex Pokemon so half expected Scyther to not be exclusive anymore too.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Is a rom out in the wild? I saw someone play this on their Samsung phone (on Reddit) for fucks sake. They claim to have finished the game entirely on it. This is crazy.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Those Gym Leader rematch teams are unbelievably good, probably the best we've ever had. The post-game looks like it'll be the best we've had since B2W2.

Having a look at the campaign teams and they're a bit of a mixed bag. You've got some really cool stuff like Bulldoze Cranidos, HA Turtwig and Roserade, Light Clay Light Screen Meditite, Damp Rock Rain Dance Quagsire, Strength Sap Drifblim, Icy Rock Snover and Chople Pickpocket Sneasel and Chople Berry Surf Raichu and egg move elemental fangs Luxray, but then there is some really weirdly lame stuff too like Mismagius losing Shadow Ball for Phantom Force, Lucario not having Bone Rush for Monferno, no Metal Burst on Bastiodon etc.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is a rom out in the wild? I saw someone play this on their Samsung phone (on Reddit) for fucks sake. They claim to have finished the game entirely on it. This is crazy.
Yes, but is there even a switch emulator for phones? I thought there was only windows/linux apps.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Internally, as much as people here try to fight it, Pokémon Platinum is seen as a different project. It had a different team behind it with a different director, and so going forward the notion of it being a remake of Diamond & Pearl likely precluded much, if any, Platinum content. Similar happened with Emerald and ORAS. Crystal was slightly different as it didn't really add much, but they decided to implement a variant of Eusine's story into it but I guess that set a precedent in people's head.

Replying here since the other thread got shut. This argument is a purely internal explanation which the user does not, and should not, care about. Regardless of this internal considerations, it is pretty much universally accepted that Platinum is a big improvement over the original gen 4 entries, so using the latter ones as a base is absurd. Regardless, it does seem like there is more extra content, so in the end it might make up for it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Replying here since the other thread got shut. This argument is a purely internal explanation which the user does not, and should not, care about. Regardless of this internal considerations, it is pretty much universally accepted that Platinum is a big improvement over the original gen 4 entries, so using the latter ones as a base is absurd. Regardless, it does seem like there is more extra content, so in the end it might make up for it.
Well considering the internal considerations etc. are a large part of how development is done, it's the explanation whether or not the community likes it

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well considering the internal considerations etc. are a large part of how development is done, it's the explanation whether or not the community likes it
With all due respect, Joe - they're not disagreeing here, they're just saying that the user shouldn't rightfully be expected to care.

FWIW, I'm very excited to get my hands-on with the game either way.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
With all due respect, Joe - they're not disagreeing here, they're just saying that the user shouldn't rightfully be expected to care.

FWIW, I'm very excited to get my hands-on with the game either way.

Pretty much. I mean, imagine for instance, if the dark souls remastered (or any other remaster) version did not include the DLC, and somebody came up and said that this was done by another team (not that this is true), hence we should have expected for it not to be included. That might be an accurate internal explanation, but it doesn't make it any less baffling to the user.

Aug 13, 2019
Damn, the tone shift in this thread is amazing, lol. That post-game looks fantastic. And here I was, about to skip BDSP and just replay Platinum.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Platinum can't be too seperated from DP internally, since ILCA were clearly allowed to pull some elements from it when designing the post-game content. The Gym Leader / Pokemon League rematches use their Platinum teams as a base, the Distortion World does appear in an abridged single pathway form, Giratina's Platinum battle theme (and naturally the Origin Forme) is included, they've added the PC wallpapers from Platinum (and designated them as being from that game); plus Shaymin's Sky Forme, Rotom's additional forms and the associated events/NPC, but they really couldn't have gotten away with excluding those.

I feel like if they wanted to include the full Distortion World and Battle Frontier nothing would be stopping them, but it clearly just wasn't in the cards for the project. Pulling from Platinum's aesthetic improvements over DP probably was off the cards though, unfortunately. Naturally the best answer would be including both, but that was never going to happen.

Has this been discussed yet? Is this true?

Yes, it was discussed many pages back; even got its own thread.

It's true and it isn't the first main series Pokemon release to be like this.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum can't be too seperated from DP internally, since ILCA were clearly allowed to pull some elements from it when designing the post-game content. The Gym Leader / Pokemon League rematches use their Platinum teams as a base, the Distortion World does appear in an abridged single pathway form, Giratina's Platinum battle theme (and naturally the Origin Forme) is included, they've added the PC wallpapers from Platinum (and designated them as being from that game); plus Shaymin's Sky Forme, Rotom's additional forms and the associated events/NPC, but they really couldn't have gotten away with excluding those.

I feel like if they wanted to include the full Distortion World and Battle Frontier nothing would be stopping them, but it clearly just wasn't in the cards for the project. Pulling from Platinum's aesthetic improvements over DP probably was off the cards though, unfortunately. Naturally the best answer would be including both, but that was never going to happen.
Because of these arguments, I think that separating Platinum from Diamond and Pearl is just overly-justifying bad decisions and doing some mental gymnastics to conform to what we got. The only omission from Platinum that I kind of get is the rework of some routes and places to include more snow, which could also have been temporarily added on an hypothetical reworked post-game episode involving Giratina.

Like I said earlier in the thread, these are faithful, 1:1 remakes only when it's convenient. When they change stuff that wasn't in the original games for the better, we're supposed to praise the team for it. But if we point out glaring omissions and the game not matching expectations, we're supposed to understand that we weren't supposed to get that much. It should not be a one-side argument here.