• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nintendo consoles in general have always had emulators come out rather quickly.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't any good games on vita really so not many people are motivated to work on it

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
No one is going to spend years of their life making a Vita emulator so that people can play a really nice version of Persona 4 Golden.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Man, between cart rot and the failure rate on those terrible memory cards, trying to keep a Vita library working is gonna be a nightmare.

PSP and Vita games are going to be lost left and right in a few years.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Most Vita games are on PC or PS4 already, so why bother.

I really want to play P4 Golden tho

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Vita is sitting with the Xbox as least desirable emulator for whatever reason, and the Xbox probably has more unique exclusives.

We'll probably get a full remaster of Soul Sacrifice Delta before it's fully playable on an emulator.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Man, between cart rot and the failure rate on those terrible memory cards, trying to keep a Vita library working is gonna be a nightmare.

There's a very good PSP emulator that runs on phones even, I don't think we're in any danger of losing PSP archives.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying that a platform having no good games is the reason it isn't emulated yet was funny when people said it about the Xbox and it's funny now in this thread.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
There aren't any good games on vita really so not many people are motivated to work on it
No, your assertion is wrong.

The speed in which Switch emulation has overtaken Vita emulation is driven by a few key factors:
1) Vita took a long time to hack. A good chunk of the system's lifespan had the biggest exploit being the same PSP hacks we've had for years, running on the PSP mode which is sandboxed from the Vita mode. The Switch by comparison was blown open almost immediately and is based on hardware that is well documented.
2) Vulkan. Vulkan is a low level cross-platform API intended to be the successor to OpenGL. It's low overhead, which is very good for emulation which is looking to find efficiency in calls whenever possible since emulation is an inherently inefficient process. Switch came in at the perfect time to build emulators from the ground up with this new framework, whereas Vita had prior emulation efforts that needed to be rebuilt.
3) Framework. The Vita's design is an evolution of the PSP. Kind of like how the Wii was two GameCube's duct-taped together, the Vita is sort of like that, but more like if you duct taped an Android phone to a PSP. By that, I mean there were changes in the architecture, but the way the OS is working under-the-hood is pretty similar. Ergo, pieces of the Vita have to be adapted from what we know about the PSP reflected through the architecture changes to achieve an environment where we can properly emulate games. The Switch again, by contrast, is based on well documented framework that makes adapting calls a much less complex process. You could think of it like the Vita emulating an emulator's emulator while the Switch is just doing the emulation once.

Games are usually not a big factor in the equation when it comes to major console makers. People are going to want to emulate Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft machines. Most systems have exclusives that are worth preserving and playing. The Vita's killer app would be Persona 4 Golden, along with some pretty neat first party releases like Killzone and Uncharted.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
No, your assertion is wrong.

The speed in which Switch emulation has overtaken Vita emulation is driven by a few key factors:
1) Vita took a long time to hack. A good chunk of the system's lifespan had the biggest exploit being the same PSP hacks we've had for years, running on the PSP mode which is sandboxed from the Vita mode. The Switch by comparison was blown open almost immediately and is based on hardware that is well documented.
2) Vulkan. Vulkan is a low level cross-platform API intended to be the successor to OpenGL. It's low overhead, which is very good for emulation which is looking to find efficiency in calls whenever possible since emulation is an inherently inefficient process. Switch came in at the perfect time to build emulators from the ground up with this new framework, whereas Vita had prior emulation efforts that needed to be rebuilt.
3) Framework. The Vita's design is an evolution of the PSP. Kind of like how the Wii was two GameCube's duct-taped together, the Vita is sort of like that, but more like if you duct taped an Android phone to a PSP. By that, I mean there were changes in the architecture, but the way the OS is working under-the-hood is pretty similar. Ergo, pieces of the Vita have to be adapted from what we know about the PSP reflected through the architecture changes to achieve an environment where we can properly emulate games. The Switch again, by contrast, is based on well documented framework that makes adapting calls a much less complex process. You could think of it like the Vita emulating an emulator's emulator while the Switch is just doing the emulation once.

Games are usually not a big factor in the equation when it comes to major console makers. People are going to want to emulate Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft machines. Most systems have exclusives that are worth preserving and playing. The Vita's killer app would be Persona 4 Golden, along with some pretty neat first party releases like Killzone and Uncharted.
Vulkan has nothing todo with it, yuzu doesn't even support it. It would also be a bad choice to write a new emulator for a new console in according to the devs.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Cemu exists because the Wii U and the Vita have opposite problems: the former has unattractive hardware and attractive games, the latter has attractive hardware and not enough attractive games. Cemu allows you to get rid of the hardware issue and enjoy the games, that's why people worked on it so quickly

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's more about community interest and investment than it is anything else (software, architecture, etc).

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I mean, most Vita games are available on Steam and they are better there and not too demanding, so aside from a couple of games, it's really not an issue.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's a shame, but it's due to a lack of interest. There is Vita3k though if you want to support Vita emulation.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, what would you play on it? Most of what people consider the best games on Vita, are things available elsewhere and in better form, so why bother?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Demand, more people want a Switch Emulator than a VITA one. So everyone that knows the hows to (and for the sake of their Patreon Accounts and e-fame) put all their resources towars Nintendo emulation

Now, "why are Nintendo hardware more on demand?"
Is a better ( and highly divisive) question

I wonder if we get a PS4 emulator or a Vita emulator first.

We are gonna get a Switch 2 emulator 1st

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Demand, more people want a Switch Emulator than a VITA one. So everyone that knows the hows to (and for the sake of their Patreon Accounts and e-fame) put all their resources towars Nintendo emulation

Now, "why are Nintendo hardware more on demand?"
Is a better ( and highly divisive) question
Did WIIU sell better than Vita? I believe Vita has more good games than WIIU (by counting the number of games over 70 metacritic, for lack of better, more objective criterion). The problem is that many of Vita's best offers are multiplatform.

Also, please explain how X360 emulator never exists.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

I know nothing about PSP but I doubt much will be lost. Both systems have been hacked wide open for the most part so backups have been saved. So long as there are still surviving PSP's and Vita's I think we should be ok.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The people saying that there's no emulator because the system had no games make no sense. Some systems might simply be harder to emulate than others. Just because you have no interest in it doesn't mean nobody else does.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a functional Vita emulator. I got games I want to play without jaggies, Persona and Killzone specifically. Sure, I have my Vita TV, but still, the jaggies.