• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I definitely got a dud of a Playstation 5.

1) The DualSense won't charge. It only works if it's plugged in. It's been plugged in for three days, and it immediately dies if I unplug it. Left it charging without using it, and it still won't charge.
2) The X button sticks randomly.
3) The disc drive makes a loud whirring/clicking sound whenever it's being used. It's loud enough to hear over any game I play.

Yeah... lucky me.

For the DualSense, if you feel comfortable about it, try opening it up and see if the battery is connected properly and if yes, simply try to replug it. If it's anything like the DS3 and DS4 the battery should be right behind the back-cover so you wouldn't need to take much apart.

And for the loud noise, check if the white collar-plates of your PS5 are secured all the way, there was another poster with a loud drive that had a lose plates which caused loud sound-vibrations with the drive.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 just crashed while my sister was playing Call of Duty and now it wont start up. Is there any solution for this?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
1) The DualSense won't charge. It only works if it's plugged in. It's been plugged in for three days, and it immediately dies if I unplug it. Left it charging without using it, and it still won't charge.

Make sure you use the back USB ports. My front port won't charge the controller, at least not all the way. Also, as a test, make sure standby is enabled and the USB ports do not turn off after 3 hours.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
System crashed while my brother was playing zombie mode, but booted back up after 5 minutes to in repair mode. These things are inevitable but I just got the system and it hasn't been one day. If there's too many issues I'll have to return it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is this my PS5 is dead thread or it is just about the OP's system. Kinda confusing thread since don't we have a troubleshooting thread?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
So it worked out pretty well for me all things considered. I was provided with a replacement PS5 that is supposedly brand new from Sony, and I received it before I even sent out my broken PS5 for repair. Shame that I missed most of launch week but I was expecting this to be way worse.

As long as I don't turn on this PS5 and it end up being a dud I'll be pretty happy overall.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Had my PS5 since launch day. Finished Astrobot, played a bit of Miles Morales, Fall Guys, Bugsnax and now putting in some dedicated time in Demons Souls. Used rest mode the first few days until reports on here about crashes and what not. From there I just do a full shut down and I've had zero problems with my unit. Hard wired with only a Gold Headset dongle in the back. Also to note I did not transfer anything from my PS4. Just redownloading what I need including saves. Digital Edition BTW.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Should probably set up a survey of some sort to see if these problems have anything in common.

Disc or Digital?
Hard Wire or WiFi?
External Storage?
USB Occupied with?
PS4 Transfer?
Played from Rest Mode or Cold Boot?

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Should probably set up a survey of some sort to see if these problems have anything in common.

Disc or Digital?
Hard Wire or WiFi?
External Storage?
USB Occupied with?
PS4 Transfer?
No, poll threads get locked because nobody can verify if everyone is answering truthfully. You would end up with lots of fanboy votes on each end of the spectrum.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm having weird flickers in my main menu this morning:
gUgOZVr.jpg

FYI, there should NOT be 2 spider-men on the screen. There should only be one. and he should have red colors. It's like it split in two and the two images have different colors?

Not a good sign. I'm on the latest firmware.

edit: This is (tentatively) solved here as described here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/welp-my-ps5-is-dead.324451/post-52090991

As a result, I'm thinking maybe my TV has a bum HDMI port and this is not a PS5 issue after all. All glory to Dalto11

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mine put itself into rest mode again last night while playing demon's souls. Second time it has done that. First was with Valhalla. Just bizarre. Hope it is a bug that can be fixed.

How long is the warranty on the PS5 good for?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully not a widespread problem. Korey Coleman from Double Toasted received a PS5 that doesn't work.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Had my PS5 since launch day. Finished Astrobot, played a bit of Miles Morales, Fall Guys, Bugsnax and now putting in some dedicated time in Demons Souls. Used rest mode the first few days until reports on here about crashes and what not. From there I just do a full shut down and I've had zero problems with my unit. Hard wired with only a Gold Headset dongle in the back. Also to note I did not transfer anything from my PS4. Just redownloading what I need including saves. Digital Edition BTW.

almost same usecase on mine, just have wifi instead of ethernet, im also using external drive for ps4 games (samsung ssd on closure). did not have any issue since last friday, digital edition.

honestly seeing the issues effect only some machines, makes me feel like these might be hw related rather than firmware. though os definitely feels rushed as well

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Add me to the list :/

When I press the power button, the blue light flashes briefly. When I press again, the console shuts off. But the PS5 never gets to boot properly. Had all sorts of trouble when setting the machine up already with PS4 transfer, then the system reboot vis USB worked... and now that :/

May 22, 2018
System crashed while my brother was playing zombie mode, but booted back up after 5 minutes to in repair mode. These things are inevitable but I just got the system and it hasn't been one day. If there's too many issues I'll have to return it.
This just happened to me when playing COD MP. First problem I've encountered since launch last week. It appears this is a common issue with COD, and not just on PS5 either.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Disc or Digital?
Hard Wire or WiFi?
External Storage?
USB Occupied with?
PS4 Transfer?
The problem with this approach is you will essentially get a list of the most common PS5 setups but no information about causations, which is why you see people warning about super common things like rest mode and wired connections based on such anecdotal evidence. Like, you might as well ask if their PS5 is white and they used a Dualsense controller because those factors have been present in every failure thus far.
You would need to survey people with issues and people without issues, then look for significant differences between the two groups, which would take a lot of surveys.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Luckily I have had 0 issues.

Just to add to the use case: I have use a LAN cable since Day 1, on initial setup I had my PS4 HHD in a rear USB but then not do a PS4 transfer or whatever that menu was. I did however transferred a few games from the HDD after reports started coming out, and still no issue since then.

Only PS5 games I played were Sackboy, Bugsnax, AC: Vahalla, and 2K21, PS4 games were: Man Eater, Vampyr and Overwatch

Good luck to those having issues.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So with my EU PS5 it acted a bit weird on first boot, at the initial setup it hung for several minutes on the Media App download screen before proceeding and then later when I started Astro Bot the PS5 froze during the intro. I held the power-button to force a shutdown, turned it back on, it complained that it wasn't turned off properly but worked normally afterwards with no storage repair.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I should add that I fully restarted the console and it still did this. And it was in rest mode overnight so no heavy activity going on. Also no external storage or anything funky at all with my setup.

using the provided hdmi 2.1 cable with an LG c9, but clearly this is not a cable issue.

More info. This doesn't seem to happen when HDR is off. Weird.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I only had one issue which was during a Miles cutscene, my console completely froze and I had to unplug and replug it. But that probably happened cuz I was downloading and installing a bunch of games. I think the OS got confused. This was before the first OS update post launch.

But zero problems after that. Miles played fine. None for Demon's, Astro or Destiny 2. Been working fine and quiet.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I've had Demon's crash on me twice in the exact same spot in the Nexus, but it self-reported and fixed itself back up. No problems otherwise.

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
I'm gonna open my console today (the box, that is :P), this thread is leaving me anxious as fuck. Has anyone compiled a list of things that are known to cause issues? Just so I know what not to do, would really appreciate it.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, issues seem more widespread this time. I don't remember PS4 and XBO being like this.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
I've had Demon's crash on me twice in the exact same spot in the Nexus, but it self-reported and fixed itself back up. No problems otherwise.
I had Demons Souls crash in the Nexus as well unfortunately :( I've noticed some lag/slow down in Demons Souls, and when I see that happen I sort of brace myself for the worst with an incoming crash. I noticed some frame drops a bit before and then poof, crash.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
So far, ive either been closing out of the game I am playing or turning off the PS5 completely when I am done. Is this currently the best way to avoid these issues?

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
I should add that I fully restarted the console and it still did this. And it was in rest mode overnight so no heavy activity going on. Also no external storage or anything funky at all with my setup.

using the provided hdmi 2.1 cable with an LG c9, but clearly this is not a cable issue.

I know you're using the provided cable and shouldn't be having issues, but I would dry another port on the TV and a different (even if it is 2.0) cable just to rule that out for srue. Also try adjusting your HDMI transfer rate in the video settings.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
try adjusting your HDMI transfer rate in the video settings.

Huh. Setting the PS5 4K Video Transfer Rate to -1 solved the issue.

I switched the port from HDMI1 to HDMI3 and I am not seeing flashes yet even with 4:4:4 now.

So you're 2/2. Wow!

I'd like to like and subscribe to your tech support channel.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Setting the PS5 4K Video Transfer Rate to -1 solved the issue.

I switched the port from HDMI1 to HDMI3 and I am not seeing flashes yet even with 4:4:4 now.

So you're 2/2. Wow!

I'd like to like and subscribe to your tech support channel.

I'd like to have the knowledge base to start a tech support channel lol. I am a hobbyist and tinkerer that learns a lot from others is all. It's a good thing that all of the ports on the C9 are 2.1, so you can use all of the features at 4:4:4. Glad I could help someone out!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just had my first crash as well. Booted it up from powered off state - external drive was plugged in - blue light flashed a couple secs then I heard a click and ded. System unresponsive and wouldn't turn on.

Thankfully removing power cable did the trick as it repaired drive. Good god I am now afraid to even play this thing anymore!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the weird freezes I had when first time booting my system mine has been rock-solid so far thankfully. I can play Demon's Souls and Astro Bot no problem, PS4 games work without a hitch and all that with a 2.5" USB 3.0 5400rpm HDD plugged into the back too, I hope it stays like this.

bboris77

Sep 11, 2020
So, I have had my second "rebuilding database" crash in a week. Funny thing is both happened on a Friday, a week apart. The common element between the two crashes is that the PS5 was downloading things in the background.

I ruled out any heat-related issues by running the console really hard in various games over a week - to the point where I let it run for 10-12 hours in the Cold War menu where the FPS is unlocked when I was not actually playing. Zero crashes.

As a reminder, the first crash happened when the PS5 was downloading a bunch of things in the background and I accidentally rebooted my internet router, thus interrupting the download. This was a week ago. Today, I was playing Black Ops and went out of the game without closing it fully, so it was still in console's RAM. At some point one of the apps that I downloaded (Disney) started self-updating. I walked away for 15 minutes to find the console shut down. When I managed to restart it by pressing the power button on the console after the mandatory 1-2 minute timeout, it simply rebuilt the database and reported the error to Sony. Then it proceeded to install the Disney App update.

I am suspecting that there is some kind of overflow or memory leak issue happening when the system is multitasking by downloading updates in the background while there is a game in its memory. Perhaps it has to do with RAM or solid state memory management. For now, I decided to disable the automatic application updates to see if this will help. I am still very much convinced that this is a firmware-related bug.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've have no crashes or issues on either xsx or ps5 but I'm telling you if I get 2-3 of the same issue, ever, these things are going on eBay and I'm waiting for a revision and/or latest models-especially if it's hardware related

Jul 3, 2019
Maybe it's a flaw with the heat sinks and airflow in the system ala og Xbox 360.
With the extremely short supply and these issues maybe they shouldve pushed the release back. Did they rush it to market?

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 just crashed and shut off while playing demons souls. Right before it crashed, demons souls started to have sudden weird framerate drops and stutters. Then when I turned the ps5 back on it forced me to reset to factory defaults and reinstall the system software with no other option, lost all my progress. I usually don't ever use rest mode but it was taking too long to download some ps4 games and I forgot about it and it had entered rest mode multiple times. I dunno if rest mode is the cause though.

AjrEOri.jpg

qKxFS6O.jpg

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished resintalling the system software and was in the home screen reconfiguring my preferred settings when the system turned off again and now asking me again to do another system software reinstallation.