• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on it for two days.
It shutdown twice while playing Halo 5 this evening. When I've turned it on after the first shut down, I've got the message that the console was too hot and had to shut down.
Then it shut down one more time and I cannot turn it on anymore.

I am not the only one, it seems:
answers.microsoft.com

Xbox series x won’t power on

Hi, just got my new series x today but havent been able to use it yet. The power light goes off withina second of pressing it and console doesnt start up. Been awaiting a call back for an hour or 2
www.lifewire.com

Xbox Series X or S Won't Turn on? How to Fix It

When your Xbox Series X or S won’t turn on, you need to make sure it’s getting power, that the firmware isn’t corrupt, and check your cables.
www.windowscentral.com

Some Xbox Series X consoles are experiencing crashes when trying to load games (update)

Some gamers can't load games on their new Xbox Series X.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
you're probably one of small % though

Edit: shit my bad, I don't mean to disregard your inconvenience. Just been seeing a lot of disingenuous posts about launch failures.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing on it for two days.
It shutdown twice while playing Halo 5 this evening. When I've turned it on after the first shut down, I've got the message that the console was too hot and had to shut down.
Then it shut down one more time and I cannot turn it on anymore.

I am not the only one, it seems:
answers.microsoft.com

Xbox series x won’t power on

Hi, just got my new series x today but havent been able to use it yet. The power light goes off withina second of pressing it and console doesnt start up. Been awaiting a call back for an hour or 2
www.lifewire.com

Xbox Series X or S Won't Turn on? How to Fix It

When your Xbox Series X or S won’t turn on, you need to make sure it’s getting power, that the firmware isn’t corrupt, and check your cables.
www.windowscentral.com

Some Xbox Series X consoles are experiencing crashes when trying to load games (update)

Some gamers can't load games on their new Xbox Series X.

Wow that sucks man, I hope microsoft are quick on the trigger and give you a new one.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There seem to be more problems at launch of this gen then last gen tbh.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
That sucks, been seeing a lot of these lately. Part of the reason I never buy day one. I'm not going to beta test something I payed for.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Sucks to hear, man, Sorry about that. Kinda wishing I held onto my PS4 and X1X right now.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
All electronics have a certain failure rate. With so many millions being launched day one you are always going to have a small percentage with problems sadly.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Seems like both xbox series x and ps5 are having some problems, that kinda sucks, but i hope they get it fixed fast

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That sucks, been seeing a lot of these lately. Part of the reason I never buy day one. I'm not going to beta test something I payed for.

All products have a failure rate unfortunately, you're always likely to hear more about them now because there are a lot more consoles being sold at launch than what usually happens at any one time throughout the generational cycle, there's also a huge news buzz surrounding them so things like a console breaking will make news now but no-one will actually care in a years time.

It still massively sucks though, especially when sourcing a replacement is very difficult if you end up having to return it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Sucks, but better now than a year from now. At least you can return it or make a warranty claim.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At the surface launch they were sold out everywhere but MS had units set aside for issues. Mine was DOA and they had me a replacement the next morning with a box to send old one back. Doesn't hurt to try MS before a return.

OP
OP
shinbojan

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to power cycle it and tried a different outlet and using a different cable.
Did not help.
It seems to be dead.

Wanchan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked all the links you posted under your video but have you tried to unplug it, press the power button for 30s, plug it and power on again?

(edit) Nvm looks like you did, RIP :(

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
There seem to be more problems at launch of this gen then last gen tbh.
Really? Every single Xbox one sold without a Kinect had coil whine. Every single dualshock 4 had sticks that would disintegrate from normal use. I think this gen so far is fine in comparison, but I'm also sure we haven't seen all the issues yet.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh that scares me. I'm sorry to hear that OP, hopefully it's prompty fixed and you never have any trouble again.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think hwarang's post is meant the way some are treating it.
Lots of people are trying to gauge whether the new systems have widespread issues or not. Helping contextualize issues with either system as we still have no real idea how widespread issues are, isn't such a bad thing. Yes, it doesn't help the OP at all, but it could be helpful to to others in this thread particularly as many people still haven't been able to buy the system and are waiting to see whether the issues are significant or not.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to power cycle it and tried a different outlet and using a different cable.
Did not help.
It seems to be dead.
If it kept overheating, the thermal internals where probably not seated properly or something along those lines and it eventually failed. Either way, all you can really do is just contact support and start the replacement process, or go through retailer you used if you think it's faster.