• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Hello fellow Era members, sit a while and listen.
Don't even know why I'm opening this thread, since I always found similar threads silly, but I guess it helps to share (or overshare), to get some peace of mind. This might be a longer post. I mentioned a couple of times before in other threads that I immigrated to the US from a Balkan country 6 years ago chasing the "American dream", I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship for a two-year acting conservatory in NYC (also being the first person from my country to attend said school) and it seemed like the universe was finally aligning for me.
Prior to coming to the US I always felt that NYC spoke to me, it went as far as me trying extra hard in school back home when it came to speaking English and all in all I felt so much pride when someone from the US would tell me that they didn't know I was from outside the country until I would say it. So I packed two suitcases, went through the extremely strenuous process of obtaining a student visa (trust me, I prayed to God that the guy at the embassy doesn't look too much into my parents finances, because even with us being almost upper middle class, for US standards we were fucking poor), found a $500/month shared room, kissed my then girlfriend of 3 years (the length we dated you fool, not her age) goodbye with hopes that long distance would work, hugged my parents, friends and embarked on my journey. That was in September 2016.

Chapter 1 - Welcome to the streets

My first, shared (yes, I was sharing a room with another guy, separate beds), room was located in Bushwick in a neighborhood that most people would avoid. To me, it looked exactly like the starting area in GTA IV. It was certainly worse than my homeplace, but I've seen worse. The one thing (that I already knew from previously visiting NYC the year prior) I just couldn't wrap my head around was the amount of thrash EVERYWHERE, just random ass shit laying around on the curb. But, I didn't care, I was finally here, this is it, I'm about to fuck shit up. When I finally found the house where the room was located, reality started to sip in a bit. The whole place was filthy, shared by like 8 roommates, with a dirty kitchen etc., you know, just the worst stuff. I will never forget that moment I entered the room, connected to wifi, called my family to let them know that I made it safely, the moment I ended the call tears started flowing down my face, it was mostly the realization that I don't have anyone here and that I'll have to get all of this alone, it was the first time in 24 years of my life that I was completely alone. And it made sense, my parents survived a war so they always made sure that family is the most important thing in life, and I willingly decided to go a lone wolf path. The first day in that room I knew I will move in a couple of months.

Chapter 2 - The good, the bad, the ugly

This was probably the most fun part of my journey, my two-year study in NYC. Shit was insane, a school full of people crazy about art, hustling, trying to win that lottery ticket and get your name into the history books. I wasn't scared at all considering that I went through a 4 year rigorous Bachelor's degree back home, so I had a huge head start compared to some students that were getting into acting for the first time. I immediately auditioned for a school production and got a part, I was nervous about acting in English but I didn't let it hold me back. A big downside was that literally two months later Trump got elected and I had to listen to news about him on a daily basis for the next 4 years (talk about a buzzkill). But, life seemed to be good, I couldn't work since I was on a student visa, and I had a budget of $1200 a month total, so I was frugal as hell, some night going to bed hungry in order to save on a food portion. I quickly became a favorite in school among the other students so I was getting invited to all these crazy student parties, and if one thing about US movies is true, it's the fucking parties! I had a tremendous amount of fun, some legendary nights that I will remember for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, my long distance relationship didn't work out so by December 2016 my ex and I decided to go our separate ways since at that point I thought that I'm staying in the US and she had no intention on leaving. Emotionally, I was pretty wrecked since we really cared about each other, but it is what it is. I remember that one night when I finally moved into a private room which cost me $750 (around $850 after utility bills) and I was sitting in this empty room, no bed, just a blanket that I brought from home and a small pillow, I felt the world shrinking around me since now I REALLY had to be frugal, but it was fine, I was following my dream.

Chapter 3 - Euphoria

The next year and a half were pretty solid, despite the lack of money, I was doing great at school, all the teachers loved the amount of work I was pouring into everything, one of the castmates from my first show started dating me, graduation was close and I knew that I would finally get a 1 year work permit which would allow me to actually get paid for acting work. Graduation came and passed, I visited home prior to that after a year being away, everything was going according to plan. I got my work permit, did a couple small Off Broadway productions, but some ugly things started showing their tail. Turns out, when you're here on OPT, a lot of casting agents won't even look at your resume knowing that you'll lose your right to work in a year, and in order to qualify for an artist visa (which lasts 3 years) you have to have some good professional references, and I mean really good, I saw a lot of fellow students get outright rejected after they would prepare their applications for 6 months with lawyers and everything. It was not looking great, not to mention that there's a huge upfront cost to the application (seriously, fuck the amount of times the US government will charge you hundreds of dollars for regular visa stuff, it's insane). At this point, my girlfriend and I lived together for almost two years, we were both in our late 20's and we realized that we want to spend the rest of our lives together and had no time for dating games any more. So we got married, we rented out a small stage and had our wedding ceremony there (we basically met on a stage so we wanted to bind our love there too). It was just us and our closest friends, her family never found out we married because they were extremely judgmental towards me and hated my guts (not to mention that her mom said some really fucked up shit about me being Muslim, but that a whole other story). With that came my green card application.

Chapter 4 - You will learn emotional pain

I'm sure a lot of members who went through the green card process know what's coming up, a LOT of waiting. We submitted our application, my current work permit expired and we had to wait for a new one based on the green card application. This was early 2019, at this point I haven't been home 2 years, and I couldn't leave the country until I got issued a travel permit. It took a whole 7 months for my work permit to arrive. Now here's the kicker, summer 2019 my dad got prostate cancer and I couldn't be there for any of it, not his chemo, not his surgery, it was tearing me apart. In addition to that, the good US government forgot to send me my travel permit, so I still couldn't leave the country at the end of 2019, I just wanted to go see my dad. In the meantime, my wife basically gave up on her acting dream and got a 9-5, so me doing part time gigs wasn't a good look and I was severely slacking in financial support. (I forgot, before we got married I had a side gig that was making me decent money which I used to buy an Xbox One X, and I was basically spending it on us as much as possible, I didn't have enough hindsight considering that I came from a poor country and it was the first time I had a bunch of money and no one telling me that I can't buy a console etc. I own up to that mistake). We figured a compromise, I'll find a full time job that's theatre/arts related and audition on the side. I had a great position lined up, and I got my travel permit, but I decided not to leave for a visit home yet because at the same time my GC interview got scheduled for the next month. This was March 2020.

Chapter 5 - Even if you don't get it, COVID will wreck your life

Covid hit, all of Broadway shuts down, and basically all job opportunities disappear in an instant, my wife got lucky since her workplace just switched to WFH, but I got hit hard, my interview got delayed indefinitely, and it seemed I won't be able to travel home any time soon. Luckily I qualified for unemployment, and a couple of months later I accepted a job as a keyholder at Modell's, which was liquidating it's company so it was just for a couple of months. At this point, my wife was carrying a huge weight on her back, she was the breadwinner, I had health insurance because of her and she had life figured out much better than me, granted she is 4 years older than me and she had a business degree from Boston, so she had no trouble finding work, me on the other hand, with a degree in art, not so much (and just fyi, I'm not shocked or anything, I knew full well how much it's worth in the US...0%). After the Modell's gig I got a keyholder gig at a luxury clothing store which was full time and didn't sound too bad on paper ($21/h + 3% commission), but the reality was that the whole country was in lockdown and we hardly sold shit in the store, so the paychecks were not too great, but oh well. End of 2020 I got my conditional green card (valid only 2 years, since at the time of the interview my wife and I were married less than 2 years) and I tried sticking to my retail job, which I absolutely hated, I had no interest in luxury clothing, and I felt sleazy trying to sell stuff to people. Then, after beating cancer a year prior, they found another tumor in my dad's bladder, suffice to say that I was losing my mind, but with all odds against him, he managed to beat it a second time. After 4 years of not seeing my family, my wife and I finally visited home, it was a short, bittersweet visit, a lot of crying and laughter and it was over far too quickly. We came back to New York, and it seemed like the pandemic is finally ending, in the meantime I qualified for Actors Equity, which was my ticket to getting into an actual audition room....only problem is....the audition rooms never opened, it all stayed digital, and for theatre, that can be fatal. After becoming severely depressed from retail work I decided to do the dumbest thing ever, and quit on the spot without anything lined up.

Chapter 6 - Sometimes, when you win, you lose

By the time I managed to get new work (this time part time, but theatre related) I basically burnt through my emergency savings, at this point my married was strained more and more considering that my wife switched jobs and her new work place wasn't covering health insurance completely, so having both of us on her insurance was costing her a lot, meantime it seemed like I'm not moving up no matter how hard I was trying. I'll try to shorten this chapter as much as possible, let's just say I kept failing as a husband, and the dream about having a family here just seemed impossible at this point. We started having more and more fights, and it all culminated with her taking a $30k pay cut for a WFH only opportunity (which I approved of, her mental health is more important to me than anything else) and me basically losing health insurance since I just couldn't have her pay $600 for me, at the same time, because our combined household income was higher, I didn't qualify for any low income health insurance, so I'm basically stuck without any coverage. At the same time, her parents (Korean immigrants), lost their laundromat and were in dire financial trouble, so she had to help out there too. It slowly became clear that we reached a point of no return and that a major decision had to be made. After weeks of arguing, talking, crying together, trying to figure stuff out, she decided to move back to her parents house in Ohio, naturally, since they hate me and don't know that we're married (yes, we managed to hide it from them for 4 years) I can't just go with her, at the same time, my current part time job is at a well known performance venue in NYC and I was hoping that I would transition to full time for the next season, which starts in September. In addition to all that, our current lease ends on the 15th, and we were supposed to submit for the removal of condition on my current green card, which expires in September. After trying to figure out what to do, I just came to the same realization that I had 6 years ago, I came here all alone, and there was no path forward, I would have to come up with $4000 in the next couple of days in order to secure a new place and move, and to pay for the GC application, and there's still rent for the last 15 days of our lease coming up. Everything in the US became incredibly expensive, even the cheapest food I used to buy is super expensive. So yeah, I can't stay long enough for us to do our second interview, so I have to forfeit my resident status, we can't start a family here, and I have to leave the love of my life. I've never felt more like a failure and this amount of shame in me, I disappointed my family, my friends, and I failed my wife who sacrificed a lot for this to work. Today we spent the whole day sobbing, we have a small dog, we raised him, I feel like I'm losing a kid, our emotions are all over the place. There is one small sliver of hope, my wife will decide in the next couple of months (if her work permits it) to come and visit me and stay for two months, if she finds it comfy and can still do her work, she might move to where I'm going, we have free healthcare in my country, and I have a 3 story house so there would be no rent (Hot damn, fuck NYC rent prices),and food and everything is dirt cheap, so she would be able to save much more than living in the US and could actually help her parents more that way (her parents wouldn't be alone since she has a sister), the thing that sucks about my country is that I would have trouble finding work (which shouldn't be a problem for her if she gets to keep her current job), but with my NYC experience on my resume, this time I might have some? chance. We came to terms that if it doesn't work out, divorce is the only thing left for us, it's only fair.

Epilogue

Yeah, NYC will eat you alive if you're immigrating from a poor country and don't hit the ground running, and I failed, I failed like a motherfucker. The next 20 days I'll spend selling off everything I'm not bringing with me (when we had it good and I had enough money to save up, put into my 401k and still have extra leftover, I finally built a dream PC, so kissing that goodbye too, but it's unimportant considering that I'm losing my wife and dog). All I'm feeling now is uncertainty, and I'm scared shitless. Era, go hug your life partner and tell them you love them, because, out of experience, there is no worse feeling than the feeling you have while sitting in a room with no bed, one blanket and one small pillow, the feeling of being completely alone.

TLDR;
Immigrated 6 years ago, failed as a husband, failed to get shit together, leaving the US for good in the next 20 days.

Stay safe everyone!

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
It was a long read but it was worth it. Hope things turn out alright OP

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Tough read, good luck OP.

Covid obviously affects everything, but foreign students/scholars/workers have so little leeway in the US, and most American friends/coworkers/bosses would never understand. If things don't line up perfectly, it just snowballs downhill fast.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
I just read this whole thing and I don't believe for one second that you're a failure. You took a chance in one of the toughest cities in the world. Did everything work out perfectly? No, but you still gave it your all. You have more guts and courage than I could even dream of.

With what I read, I know you'll bounce back from this setback. You are determined and I admire you for that. I hope everything works out for you and your wife and you find the happiness you deserve.

Stay strong friend

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... that's not the end of the story. C'mon!

That's some Empire Strikes Back shit. You're at the low point, where the hero is up against the ropes.

Hurry up and get to the part where you finally learn to use the force, can swing your light saber with your mind, and get a sweet job acting in commercials that lead to your first streaming network sitcom role. You become a breakout hit, win an award or two, your wife's parents find out about the marriage on tabloid news when they see you and her on the red carpet.

Y'all have another rough patch because to further your career, you need to move to California. To throw another wrench into the gears, your previous love that you left back at home, has become a writer, and has become so successful that she is doing a world book tour. After signings in Amsterdam, Rome, Egypt and Tokyo, she's doing a couple in Vancouver and California.

Seeing her rekindles intense emotions thought long extinguished, and while in love with your wife, you battle with yourself to make the right choice.

Hurry up and get to the 3rd act!

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(I'm wishing you luck, op. You're far braver than I will ever be, and the bumps in your life make you the interesting and strong man that you are.)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Damn OP, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't fail, you were extremely unlucky. Especially with Covid. I mean, how is that your fault? The deck was mad stacked against you and I think you had great courage to pursue your dreams instead of settling like I, and so many others, did.

Where are you going back? As in how many time zones away from Eastern Standard time? That will be the determining factor for your wife's job being feasible I suspect.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Best of luck OP!
I can relate to a lot of your experiences about feeling alone in the US, unfortunately... I'm lucky that when the pandemic hit, I was in a good spot. But not being able to visit home for 2 years because of visa trouble and COVID was painful.

I hope everything works out for the best for you :)

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing your post my only thoughts are please don't be so hard on yourself. You're not a failure. I hope for the best for you.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dang. There were no easy decisions given the circumstances from what you described, even in hindsight.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Trying bravely, and failing, will always be a victory over the vast legions, the most-of-us, that never even attempt it.

You didn't lose. You didn't fail. You fought. And, as it turns out, you have a few more credits to keep playing.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
All the best, OP. Hope things take a turn for the better.

As an aside, do you mind saying where exactly you're originally from? Lots of stuff going on in the Balkans so interested to know where you'll end up. No worries if not.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, but I also want to say I don't think your a failure. And have you tried writing for money at all? As for english as a second language (and yes you did explain how hard you worked on it) I don't know about your speaking skill but writing has some serious chops in my opinion and I couldn't put it down until I finished.

No matter how things work out though I wish you the best, and that you will still post here no matter what.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't consider what you went through failing, you've come upon hard times and have to make hard decisions, but that's fucking life, man. It almost never goes as planned/envisioned.

You're not done yet.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I can only imagine how hard it is to break into performing arts for a native, let alone as an immigrant. I wish you the best while you try to figure things out.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely things that I miss about the States. But looking back, I sometimes wonder why the hell I stayed there for as long as I did. The student visa -> OPT -> work/residence visa journey is all too familiar, and boy do I not miss it.

I spent about a decade in the US (though I definitely never met anyone to be able to be eligible for a green card!) and I got so sick of the constant hassle of visas and things like how insurance works. I was on an H1-B work visa towards the end, but it was so restrictive being trapped in one job. And since it was a job in academia, that meant I'd have to deal with the visa lottery situation in an industry job, and pray that someone would be willing to sponsor it. (Not that easy if you don't have a PhD or unless it's a company like Amazon/Microsoft.) Naturally, recruiters are interested until they realize your visa situation.

Anyway, I had left during Trump's term. I can't imagine dealing with all that during the start of the pandemic as well. So you're far from a failure in my eyes. Your current trajectory sounds more promising and healthier/less stressful, so I wish you the best. There will always be ups and downs, but don't let that stop you from keeping on trucking along.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
All the best OP. Sometimes things work out when you least expect it. Be proud of yourself.

As an aside, do you mind saying where exactly you're originally from? Lots of stuff going on in the Balkans so interested to know where you'll end up. No worries if not.

He said he's Muslim, so chances are it's Bosnia & Herzegovina or Albania (although most Balkan countries have a Muslim minority).

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it ends badly, you did some seriously fucking living in the last 6 years my friend, for better and worse. You've taken risks and gone through things that people who play it safe couldn't possible comprehend.

Don't write any of it off as a failure. It's part of the story of your life. The next chapter starts now.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Amazing story and very well written. It had me on edge the entire time. You sound like a very bright, hard working, and talented person - a great combo that has limitless potential. These last few years have been just brutal for everyone but keep your head up and your eyes open. Things will get better if you keep hope alive.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, hell of a ride OP. You did more living in a handful of years than some people do in their whole lives.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Wishing the best op, you're far more braver and than me for leaving the country and try chasing the dream.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like a movie, you had me hooked no lie lol. Don't see your time here as a failure, because all I see is someone truly living life in those 6 years. I wish you were able to have a comeback story in a more grounded city in the US that doesn't tend to grind and spit out human beings like NYC, LA, etc but I'm hopeful for you. I also hope that your relationship continues to mature and grow, and your wife decides to tell her family about you regardless of the fallout. Just promise us you'll update the thread at some point if you're comfortable down the line ✊🏾Good luck OP

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Hey OP, changing countries might do you and your wife some good. Instead of thinking that you somehow "lost" the race in NYC, try looking at it from the perspective that the city doesn't quite fit you.

Hope you find happiness back in your home country, having a house and not worrying about rent can go a long way.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said OP, you're not a failure at all. I've lived in NYC for the last 20 years and it's fucking tough…and I'm not an immigrant. You had an amazing experience here, and this isn't the end of the story. NYC will be here when you're ready to come back. Covid is waning…plan the NYC sequel!

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
You had the balls to leave everything and everyone behind and move to a new country and city. You should be applauded for taking a huge risk and trying your best.

Hold your head up high OP.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope things pick up for you OP. Sometimes life can be a real bitch and keep dishing out pain. If I've learned anything in life it's that talking about our pains helps us find happiness faster, and it may it find you as well

Oct 28, 2017
You did not fail, American immigration BS failed you

Immigrating to a rich country is a grueling process, I still reel from what I was put through.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great Read OP. I am sorry it didn't work out. However, even when it seems you lost everything, your story still had a hint of optimism towards the end. And I LOVE THAT. It's not about the glass being half empty....

I truly wish you luck in your future endeavors. Please update us!

P.S. As others have said, this was very well written and it had me engaged. Maybe this is also your calling? Hell, your story is definitely fascinating and it takes balls to chase that dream. I can tell you something from experience, it was not for NOTHING.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
OP, calling yourself a failure isn't fair or accurate. You took a chance on your dream and had no way of knowing the pandemic would make that dream nearly impossible. The system in this country was fundamentally stacked against you and our government should have been far more supportive and understanding given the circumstances. You also happened to be in one of the most expensive areas in the world, which made everything even more difficult. There's a lot of people on era who don't get how ridiculously quickly money disappears here.

It sounds like you did everything right. Hopefully you get a lucky break in the future to make up for all the ones that went against you. Good luck.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck OP, thanks for sharing your story. I'd be very interested to hear what happens in the future.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You. Are not a fucking failure.

You did the hardest thing a human can do, move across the world with just hopes and dreams, and you survived 6 years in the best way could, despite massive global catastrophe.

The world failed you. But you were good because you kept trying, you took risks, you hurt, you struggled, but you kept going. We all struggle but you took hardships better than many of us do.

You are fucking amazing and I'm proud of you.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
You risked everything to go to the toughest city on Earth and actually held serve there for years, including during a global pandemic. You didn't fail at all!

Oct 25, 2017
What an adventure OP! You have gumption to even attempt what you've done and then to excel even if you didn't end up how you wanted, quite a tale. The vast vast majority of people are scared shitless to even leave their home city for more than a vacation and you lived your life.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio is a big place and has a fairly low cost of living. Maybe you could dodge her parents or the situation with them could change. I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

OP
OP
Mindfreak191

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I just woke up to see all these replies, brought a tear to my eyes. I really, really appreciate all the kind words. We're trying to look at it from a positive side as much as possible. And to answer the question, I'm going back to Bosnia and Herzegovina, can't complain about the political situation there since it's basically the same as in the US, in a sense that everyone is at each others throats. I wish I could just fast forward the next month, just so that I don't feel like I have this huge stone in my stomach hehe. Thank you all, and I'll keep you updated if there's a worthy update to my life story!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I had a similar part of my life where I took a big risk and fell flat on my face with financially devastating consequences. It took me many years to get over it and get back to a place of stability. But I got there, so hang in there OP you still have a lot of life to live.

I hope you can realize sooner than I did, that taking a risk and it not working out is not failure. Real failure is not taking any risks at all.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
You made it 6 years bud as an immigrant. You should be proud of that. I've been here for 10 and have a good job and still think this place will send me back to the midwest at any moment.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that OP. Did you consider moving to Ohio with your wife? I know you can't move in with her parents, but it is *significantly* cheaper than living in NYC (though acting opportunities would obviously be more limited). Overall it sounds like you were fairly successful but doomed by our shitty immigration laws. The OPT system is so incredibly fucking stupid. I'll never understand how it benefits this country to let people study here but then kick them out

Oct 30, 2017
I just woke up to see all these replies, brought a tear to my eyes. I really, really appreciate all the kind words. We're trying to look at it from a positive side as much as possible. And to answer the question, I'm going back to Bosnia and Herzegovina, can't complain about the political situation there since it's basically the same as in the US, in a sense that everyone is at each others throats. I wish I could just fast forward the next month, just so that I don't feel like I have this huge stone in my stomach hehe. Thank you all, and I'll keep you updated if there's a worthy update to my life story!

you should be proud of yourself for going for it in the first place. this isn't a failure at all — it's living life, dealing with the blows it hits you with, and giving you the experience to move forward.

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
That's a well written account.

This song seems appropiate:

www.youtube.com

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer (Audio)

“The Boxer” by Simon & Garfunkel Listen to Simon & Garfunkel: https://SimonAndGarfunkel.lnk.to/listenYD Subscribe to the official Simon & Garfunkel YouTube C...

The life experience you gained in the US will be invaluable in future life. Keep fighting.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

You are going home having done something no one else did. You will have a thousand stories to tell people.

And your story is just beginning. You can come back, you can find somewhere else to go, you can find peace in your home country. I wish you all the best because you have earned it.